PDA

View Full Version : Cleric gimped? Bard+sorc Q

Mojofizznut
10-29-2009, 10:32 AM
I want two characters, one to run solo and one to run with a friend (keep him at same level).

I created a halfling cleric to run with my friend so I can heal; however, I made him lawful neutral - will that gimp him later? I don't know anything about this game, and not sure what alignment penalties might come later from that choice.

For my solo, I'm thinking about a Bard. Since Bard and Sorc both rely on charisma, is this a good combo? I'm thinking at end game it sounds like Bards just sing/buff/cc etc, so is it possible to cast some damage over times or something to help the group? What is a good combo with Bard? I looked on the Bard forum, but I don't see any sticky guides or anything, so hard to learn about the class unless I invest a ton of time peeling through endless posts.

thx for ideas.

tihocan
10-29-2009, 10:53 AM
Lawful neutral is fine on a cleric. Gives you the ability to splah monk or paladin if your build lends itself to it (which is unlikely if you didn't plan it).

Solo bard is ok but not so great. Basically your main weakness will be rather weak damage output, which will make it tough in some situations (especially at high level where a lot of CC spells will be less efficient, and you'll have to drop some of your casting effectiveness for decent melee damage). Works great at low/mid level though.
Splashing sorcerer = bad.

ReaperAlexEU
10-29-2009, 11:29 AM
well, no paly (LG needed) but with a high starting dex going 2 monk for evasion can certainly be a good choice if well planned.

as for the spells, any thing you try to do to a monster that gives it a chance to save against is generally worthless if you multi class. all those spells rely on the levels of the class they relate to for their difficulty the mobs have to save against. the game is balanced so pure casters don't get a walk in the park when trying to use those powerful spells, and that closes the door on half breed casters.

so when you see a sorc in a multi class chances are its got a very specific selection of spells that don't need the sorc's full power behind them.

Mojofizznut
10-29-2009, 11:49 AM
Thx for input - interesting, cleric/monk, never thought of that.
I went hafling 14 dex, 14 con, 18 wisdom and like 10 str or something, 8 in the others. Will that work for cleric monk? What do you do in that mix, wear no armor/monk gear? I'd like to read more about this, is there a guide on this mix somewhere how to do this/what skills?

On the alt, hmmm. Maybe I'll just go pure sorc then. At end game, would a sorc be in higher demand than bard?

Kralgnax
10-29-2009, 11:59 AM
I went hafling 14 dex, 14 con, 18 wisdom and like 10 str or something, 8 in the others. Will that work for cleric monk? What do you do in that mix, wear no armor/monk gear? I'd like to read more about this, is there a guide on this mix somewhere how to do this/what skills?

On the alt, hmmm. Maybe I'll just go pure sorc then. At end game, would a sorc be in higher demand than bard?

To answer the last one first: No, bard is probably in higher demand. That being said, play what you like.

Cant't help on the cleric/monk combo, I'm afraid.

tihocan
10-29-2009, 12:00 PM

I'm sure if you read the cleric forums you can find some cleric/monk builds. Halfling is a good choice, you probably would have wanted 16 Dex, but 14 is ok too. It's definitely a good combo. And yes, no armor (which btw is probably the best way to get good AC on a cleric).

Currently, at end game, bards are more in demand than sorcerers. Mosty because there are more wiz/sorc around than bards. However, most raid groups will accept two sorc/wiz, but only 1 bard.

ReaperAlexEU
10-29-2009, 12:10 PM
keeping pure is never a bad choice, however if done right the monk splash can add a lot of survivability to a cleric, the only drawback is survivability comes from rare items, ie lots of grinding.

check out the cleric forums as tihocan suggested, you can also take a look at some european clerics here:

http://community.codemasters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=359136

its a nice list of several different cleric styles, Buried Alive is a 2 monk splash that hasnt gone for STR, its a dorf tho not a halfling but might give you some food for thought.

Avonwey
10-29-2009, 12:53 PM

Both are in high demand for the end game. And a sorcerer is much better at soloing than a Bard will be.