PDA

View Full Version : General combat tips

Boradev
10-29-2009, 09:13 AM
Hi, myself and my wife are new F2P players but we're struggling with some of the quests that should be OK at our level so I am assuming that there is something that we're missing.
She's a standard level 3 human cleric and I'm a standard level 3 human paladin.
When running the Waterworks quest (part 2, the prison bit) as a party of 2 we are getting totally battered.
So does anyone have any general tips for fighting?
I tend to wade in and start swinging (2 handed axe or shield/long sword combo) but there ends up being so many of the Kobolds that I end up dead (especially when we start rescuing the prisoners). I have tried running in then out again and getting a line of them to kill 1 by 1 but again they end up surrounding me and I end up dead. I have never used the defensive stance (shift key) or tumbling. Are they useful in this situation?
Long range weapons (crossbow, longbow, throwing darts etc) take off so little HP on the little guys that they reach me before any of them are dead and I end up surrounded and dead.
So any tips? Do we need a larger party size? Use defense and tumbling? Use potions? Smite evil?

Thanks.

Cedwin
10-29-2009, 09:19 AM
Hi, myself and my wife are new F2P players but we're struggling with some of the quests that should be OK at our level so I am assuming that there is something that we're missing.
She's a standard level 3 human cleric and I'm a standard level 3 human paladin.
When running the Waterworks quest (part 2, the prison bit) as a party of 2 we are getting totally battered.
So does anyone have any general tips for fighting?
I tend to wade in and start swinging (2 handed axe or shield/long sword combo) but there ends up being so many of the Kobolds that I end up dead (especially when we start rescuing the prisoners). I have tried running in then out again and getting a line of them to kill 1 by 1 but again they end up surrounding me and I end up dead. I have never used the defensive stance (shift key) or tumbling. Are they useful in this situation?
Long range weapons (crossbow, longbow, throwing darts etc) take off so little HP on the little guys that they reach me before any of them are dead and I end up surrounded and dead.
So any tips? Do we need a larger party size? Use defense and tumbling? Use potions? Smite evil?

Thanks.

That part is tough for non-twinked new characters, especially with only two of you.

Instead of charging in to the room, inch your way in, and wait until one of them sees you, then back up. You will only pull a couple of mobs instead of the entire room. That practice works well in most quests in this game. Don't throw anything or shoot at them, or you will get all of them, just let one of them see you, then back off.

ReaperAlexEU
10-29-2009, 09:26 AM
do what Cedwin said about only pulling a few, then try these tips:

make sure you kill any casters first.

hard target the kobbies with tab. killing 1 mob at a time is better than half killing 2 mobs in the same time.

you can try backing into a corner so they don't get flanking bonuses. once your back is safe get a shield out and hold down shift to block, that negates some of the damage. your wife can then peel one kobbie off at a time and kill it while the rest beat their brains out on your shield.

Kralgnax
10-29-2009, 09:27 AM
Welcome to DDO!

It's certainly easier with a full party, but should be perfectly possible with two.

If you don't have a lesser reptilian bane weapon (kobolds are reptiles), that or something similar will help a lot. One for the missus too, if she's meleeing. Icons of Khyber colloectibles will get you such weapons from Goldscuttle, the religious items collector.

The other thing is, don't get overwhelmed (easy to say, harder to do) - If you just dash in to the prison area, the kobolds will swarm you - clear the area behind you (watch for respawns) , and fight back in the staging area.
Spoiler follows (highlight to see)

I usually take the right hand entry, go to the grate and open up the bars into the prison, run back to the central platform and clear the area completely, and then I start pulling Kobolds back around the first corner from the prison. Be sure to break line of sight so shamans and throwers have to either come to you or are blocked from attacking you. Bring a few kobolds back to your wife round a corner or two, kill them, rinse and repeat.

Drfirewater79
10-29-2009, 10:17 AM
my suggestion is get a party ... water works is not hard but it is not easy for new players at lvl 3 or 4 if you dont know what to expect and you dont have the items

while most seasoned players will rush through not giving you much time to really see everything learning the fast way doesnt hurt in DDO.

my first suggestion would be melee first tact .... send your pali in first and let the wife sit back and keep you alive ...

find yourself a pure good weapon and if you can a elemental damaging weapon with pure good and wear a sheild this will make your ac a little higher and make it easier for your wife to keep you alive and save her alot of SP which she has very little at lvl 3

then look for a devotion item at lvl 3 you should be able to get a devotion 2 item ... it may not seem like alot but over time that will add alot of healing ...

Keep in mind that even though you cannot mem the spell you as a palidan can use cure moderate wands to heal yourself this will allow your wife to use some spells for crowd control like command ... this can help out quite a bit and make your troubles less troublesome

also try jumping as you attack and moving around while you take a -2 to hit you will still hit things more times then not and will make it harder for them to hit you ... also keep in mind that ogres hit hard .. if you can avoid them then do so. Usually this is where casters or clerics can shine with ranged attack spells like searing light or nimbus of light learning to run backwards and fire off spells while jumping is a big skill that is very important later on in you DDO career and Water works is where you learn alot of those skills.

in the end remember no question is a bad question

use the /a or /advice channel as much as possible for advice on the fly ... and don't be afraid to set up a looking for more .... to do this simply press Ctrl + G and hit create a party ... type waterworks looking for guide ... or something like that and there will be people for sure who are willing to go through it if not cause they havent done it yet then because its good experience ...

in the end practice makes perfect so if you find a dungeon difficult then it just means you havent beat it enough times get a group together and hit it hard two or three times and by the third time you are a pro at it ...

Happy Hunting and welcome to DDO

Noctus
10-29-2009, 10:27 AM
Dont run into rooms, pull them out. Either with a ranged weapon or with going in , let some see you, and instant withdraw.

Against superior numbers, fuight in doorways, or corners, so they dont surround you. Or at least with your back to a wall. This way they dont get flanking boni and not all of them can attack you simultaneously.

Always take out enemy casters 1st. asap!

dopey69
10-29-2009, 10:28 AM
if it is just the two of you you have to pick where to fight. scout out the area and say ok we are going to fight here and pull the stuff to you . this always works best in a doorway ,that way your wife can stay behind you and heal you without getting hurt herself. pluss you will only be getting attacked from the front and not getting hit from all sides or from above . you will hear this tactic refered to as door fighting in the game and should work for you fine :) have fun

ReaperAlexEU
10-29-2009, 10:31 AM
moving so that only 1 mob can reach you at a time certainly helps reduce the incoming damage, but its a -4 penalty to hit not -2. i was hoping with a shield the paly would have enough DR to ignore the bulk of the kobolds hits, as long as no kobbies get behind that could work quite well for them (and the casters are dead).

having said that its well worth learning how to give the mobs the run about for later

Boradev
10-29-2009, 10:39 AM
Wow, excellent advice. Thanks very much :)
I will be trying them all out this evening. There's a hell of a lot to learn. Is that hard target thing using the tab key? Wasn't aware of that at all.

ReaperAlexEU
10-29-2009, 10:52 AM
yeah, its the old targeting system, as the mobs move about during combat if your hard target is in front of you, then you hit it. with soft target your going to be hitting the mob closest to your cursor, which will constantly be changing.

good luck with it :)