PDA

View Full Version : n00b build question (6ran/10-11rogue/3-4bard)

Zafaron
10-28-2009, 12:36 PM
I've been playing for about a week or so and have got a few characters up to level 6 just to play around with their abilities and see how DDO is different than tabletop. I've finally decided to make something to play to higher levels and see some more of the content. The idea is sort of a jack of trades character that's decent at a lot of things and will work okay when I don't feel like looking for a group but can still contribute when I find them.

I was thinking 6 ranger for the free improved two weapon fighting and at least 10 rogue for improved evasion. What I'm having trouble deciding is between level 3 and level 4 bard. One more level of rogue gets another d6 sneak attack, but possibly level 4 bard can use level 2 spells? I would prefer the level 2 spells but I'm not 100% sure bards can actually cast them at 4 or if they have to wait until 5(they're grayed out on the DDO bard page at level 4 so it's a bit confusing)

Yes I know I'd be missing out on the assassin 2 by not going to 12 rogue, but really I'm too lazy to stealth into battle very often anyway. Also the bard class looked nice for the boost to will save but I doubt that those couple points would help a whole lot.

In case it got lost in that ramble, I'm wondering if the grayed out 2 at level 4 bard on the DDO site means that bards get access to level 2 spells at level 4, or if it goes from level 5 like the DDO page suggests.

JStone
10-28-2009, 12:56 PM
im relatively new myself and know PnP like yorself...

if you are hooked on bard you may wish to go with ALOT of bard perhaps 14 bard 6 ranger or 13 bard 1 rog 6 ranger
the 6 ranger is a common thing around here cause it allows for TEMPEST which adds 10% haste while dualwilding so stick with that.

the bard is intrigueing but a very common and powerful build is 13 rogue 6 ranger X1 with the x usually being monk, not sure if 1 bard will do much. you can look at my post near this titled my Tempest/Rogue for ideas, and look at bard posts for more...

Zafaron
10-28-2009, 01:18 PM
I did notice the 10% attack speed boost and that's the other reason 6 ranger looked nice. The 13 rogue would be good for slippery mind and more sneak attack damage. Not sure what else the one point would work with as I don't have the monk class unlocked right now. I guess the popular one was barbarian for the run speed.

Thanks for your input, I'll have to do some more research.

(I do really hope somebody can clarify the spell list on the DDO wiki, that's awfully confusing for new people)