PDA

View Full Version : Buying shorter raid timers

Wizzly_Bear
10-28-2009, 10:57 AM
I have a proposal for the DDO Store - an idea that could quite possibly be very popular for power and casual gamers alike, and make Turbine a lot of money. The ability to buy shortened raid timers.

There are obviously a great many ways this could be implemented...my personal suggestion would be to be able to buy in 6 hour blocks time off of one raid's timer for one character for 250 Turbine Points.

Laid out more plainly...a VIP could spend their 500 monthly Turbine points to shave 12 hours off of one character's raid timer, or 6 hours off of 2.

Example.....

Player "Bob" has a wizard, cleric, and monk and is trying to farm Shroud for ingredients to craft their items. Bob spends 500 pts shorten the raid timer on the wizard and 250 pts to shorten the raid timer on the cleric. So if Bob ran Shroud on each of them on one day, the wizard would be able to run it again in 2 days 6 hours, the cleric in 2 days 12 hours, and the monk in the normal 2 days and 18 hours. Over the course of time the wizard would be able to get more completions than the cleric, and the cleric more than the monk.

I strongly think that there should be some raid timer existent though - in other words, I don't think it would be a good idea to allow someone to buy 11 timer shorteners on one character effecting that character to have no raid timer at all on a particular raid. I think a wise minimum would be 1 day.

This would benefit power gamers and casuals through the ability to not only farm for loot they want, but also to have more access to quests that, imo at least, are generally more enjoyable and challenging than others. A player with only a few characters could more easily catch up to the power gamer, and the power gamer would love the opportunity to grind their loot faster.

This would benefit Turbine through increased revenue and sales of Turbine Points as I am 100% certain this would be a very popular seller.

And for those who are going to cite "power creep"...this doesn't change the loot in the game, doesn't make it any better, and it doesn't put it on sale either. You still have to complete the raid to loot.

Just my 2cp suggestion.

Devs? What say you?

Wizzly_Bear
10-28-2009, 11:08 AM
oh, and obviously collection packs could be assembled as well.

for the 9 current raids....to bring down all raid timers to 1 day at 6 hours and 250 TP at a time it would cost 24750 TP. maybe a bundle could be purchased for a character at 20000 TP (with other intermediary bundles as well such as 6 hours off all, 2 day timer for all, et cetera). or even 25000 for a full character, but applies to future raids as well.

Angelus_dead
10-28-2009, 11:10 AM
A suggestion I had was to spend 100 TP to deduct 24 hours from all your active raid timers, applicable to each timer just once.

I don't see why Turbine would want to take your approach of a very high fee for a permanent feature, when they could instead nickle & dime it.

IronAngel
10-28-2009, 11:12 AM
Lots of other things in the store are account wide, so why not this?

KillEveryone
10-28-2009, 11:33 AM
I don't quite understand the timer...

Is it per character or per account.

I plan to have several characters and I want to raid them all. Will I have to wait to be able to do a different character?

IronAngel
10-28-2009, 11:36 AM

I plan to have several characters and I want to raid them all. Will I have to wait to be able to do a different character?

I do believe it is per character

Wizzly_Bear
10-28-2009, 11:37 AM
A suggestion I had was to spend 100 TP to deduct 24 hours from all your active raid timers, applicable to each timer just once.
that could be nice to

I don't see why Turbine would want to take your approach of a very high fee for a permanent feature, when they could instead nickle & dime it.
they could. they could also do both. I think you overestimate the "permanence" of my proposal. eventually the character will either (a) be deleted or (b) be "done" with that raid. in either case you're likely to see that person move on to the next character and buy more time off.

Lots of other things in the store are account wide, so why not this?
imo - the ability to buy shortened raid timers for your whole account would be overpowered.

Wizzly_Bear
10-28-2009, 11:38 AM

I'm not sure what you are asking....

the raid timer itself is per character

my suggestion is also per character

did one of those cover your question?

Zuldar
10-28-2009, 01:54 PM
Seems like a good idea for a vip perk.

Oxvon
10-28-2009, 02:02 PM
Kinda have this already, can buy more character slots!!

Know what you are saying though, I think I would go bankrupt if they put this in.

juniorpfactors
10-28-2009, 02:04 PM
/signed

jrp hates raid timers :D

Wizzly_Bear
11-25-2009, 11:50 AM
Its my birthday, consider this a birthday present Turbine :D

Kromize
11-25-2009, 03:24 PM

This is what I'm thinking. Also, nobody is going to want to shorten their raid timer like that unless they go some time to play, and that's the amount of time left. Otherwise, people are going to want to shorten it a bit more.

Wizzly_Bear
10-01-2010, 12:36 AM
re-issuing proposition

helicalius
10-01-2010, 04:09 AM
nice idea, i see your head is well placed on your shoulders,

soo many posts omg

Wizzly_Bear
03-15-2011, 11:19 AM
/re-submit

MrLarone
03-15-2011, 11:45 AM
seeing as i've been playing for about as long you've been suggesting this i'm going to say no.

it's fine as is.

if it's not, then there's more important work to be done in other areas than this.

in fact the one thing i would ask them to work on in this area is to start the timer from quest completion instead of whenever you talk to the giver and get your reward. really annoying when that happens.

Kale_Hagan
03-15-2011, 11:52 AM
I would propose making one-off raid timer reducers for 100 points, that take 6 hours off your timer.

i.e., your guild is about to run ToD. You really want to go with them, but your only raid ready toon still has 5 hours left. Or 3 hours. Or 45 minutes.

Pop into the store, find the ToD raid timer reducer, advance your timer 6 hours, and let's kill Horoth!

What thinks you all?

Would probably be a popular impulse buy.

Cyr
03-15-2011, 01:40 PM
It probably would be a popular buy.

It would also be a fairly poor idea in that it would burn out players faster then normal (the raid timer was meant to keep power gamers playing longer). This would run the very real risk of leading to shorter average player retention times.

That is a dangerous game to play where you sacrifice long term profits for short term gains.

Nick_RC
03-15-2011, 01:46 PM
I like it....but with no new endgame stuff....AGAIN...I can see the people who are at cap finally getting all they need and then being bored enough to take a break. Its the search for the last few things that alot of us are still here for until they bring out new end game content.

N

(I do like it tho and I for one would likely take advantage of it for at least DQ anyway.)

Uska
03-15-2011, 01:49 PM

I would say maybe 50-75 for 24 hrs off one characters timer and again it works for each timer once

die
03-15-2011, 03:41 PM
I wouldn't pay for 12 / 6 hr timers. but i would pay for a 12 hr timer meaning once the quest is complete you cant raid that quest for 12 hrs now that sounds more epic:).. and that would apply for all raids all the time:):)

Cam_Neely
08-14-2012, 01:39 PM
I would call it "Raid Timer Bypass Hourglass" and have a description like "This item allows you to bypass the special 3 day timer that prevents reentry into a successfully completed raid. Once used, this item will allow you to reacquire any one raid quest before the reentry timer has finished counting down. If you are on a timer, the quest giver will not bestow the quest until you use this item. This item is good for one raid timer bypass only."

Wizzly_Bear
08-14-2012, 01:56 PM
I would call it "Raid Timer Bypass Hourglass" and have a description like "This item allows you to bypass the special 3 day timer that prevents reentry into a successfully completed raid. Once used, this item will allow you to reacquire any one raid quest before the reentry timer has finished counting down. If you are on a timer, the quest giver will not bestow the quest until you use this item. This item is good for one raid timer bypass only."

Iswydt.

porq
08-14-2012, 02:22 PM

I had a feeling someone was going to do that