PDA

View Full Version : "Shadow Mage" Bard?

adRyft
10-27-2009, 05:45 PM
I was thinking about trying out a bard as an alt character, going with a shadow mage playstyle. It's a 28 point build, and I was going to either make it elf based for stealthy dragonmarks, or halfling for healing ones and enhancements for hide.

Is this possible, or is stealth based play fairly nerfed for bards?

Also, is there anything in particular I should know about bards, since I've not played one in DDO before? I already gimped my first rogue that I've played (planning on replacing him with the bard!), so I want to not screw this character up too badly.

If anyone has an applicable build that they could share, I'd be grateful.

Cupcake
10-27-2009, 06:56 PM
Try going over to the Bard class section. It may be helpful there.

Also, you may want to look into a bard/rogue build. There is one in our guild and it works pretty well for him.

Me personally I like my spellsong bards with high haggle for selling/buying. :D

strath
10-27-2009, 07:36 PM
I was thinking about trying out a bard as an alt character, going with a shadow mage playstyle. It's a 28 point build, and I was going to either make it elf based for stealthy dragonmarks, or halfling for healing ones and enhancements for hide.

Is this possible, or is stealth based play fairly nerfed for bards?

Also, is there anything in particular I should know about bards, since I've not played one in DDO before? I already gimped my first rogue that I've played (planning on replacing him with the bard!), so I want to not screw this character up too badly.

If anyone has an applicable build that they could share, I'd be grateful.

Well this is interesting, I have a low level Drow/Bard Rogue now. I admit I am doing it more for back stab & trap skills (yes I know mid to late game Elite traps will eat me alive, but I have been cracking them on normal and hard.) . . . yet I have had fun with sneaking up, summoning a monster and watching the fight, then back stabbing the last monster standing.

It's a blast, yet I know when I have a few more levels under my belt I will have invisibility. Will this negate the utility of my stealth skill or do enough creatures in mid to late game have detect invisible to ruin the utility of invisibility? I have only planned the build up to lvl 4 as I am not sure what to do with invisibility vs stealth.

As far as things to know, plan early in your build what prestige you are working toward as that will really impact your base stat choices.

What flavor are you going for? Melee with buffs? Utility magic with offense songs? Buffing music with CC spells?