PDA

View Full Version : Shield -vs- Two handed Weapon for fighter



PandaQ
10-27-2009, 04:48 PM
Just wondering which is the way to go

lanthan
10-27-2009, 04:50 PM
Unless you are building with well above average AC in mind a two handed weapon will be the better choice 90% of the time. However you should keep a good 1h/shield combo on your hot bar so you can switch to it for the other 10% of the time.

Arianrhod
10-27-2009, 04:54 PM
At low levels, it's a good idea to have both. use the 2-handed weapon when you can kill stuff fast, cause you'll ... kill stuff faster.

Use the shield when you need to avoid taking damage - shield-blocking in a doorway while your party shoots stuff from behind you, wedging yourself into a corner and shield-blocking while you drink potions, etc.

As for which direction to go with your feat choices & enhancements...that's a harder question. I'd tend to recommend the 2-hander style over the shield style just because getting a really good AC in this game is a lot harder than getting really good DPS. It's just going to be easier to assemble all the gear you need to be happy with your character if you build it as a 2-handed fighter than a "turtle".

PandaQ
10-27-2009, 06:55 PM
So if i do go the two handed route and take the feats for it, should i also try and squeeze in a shield feat or too (not bash, but mastery ones) ?

Arianrhod
10-27-2009, 06:58 PM
So if i do go the two handed route and take the feats for it, should i also try and squeeze in a shield feat or too (not bash, but mastery ones) ?

Nah, just carry a good shield for those times when you'll need it. Even with all those bonus feats a fighter (like any other class) is better off picking a specialty and sticking with it, rather than splitting their effort between two completely different goals.