PDA

View Full Version : Standard plus damage weapons versus specialty bonus damage?

darkdawn1
10-27-2009, 02:47 PM
I have a question that has been on my mind since I started playing DDO. I wrestle between using say a +2 ( just upgraded to a +3 long sword) versus a nicked longsword which is +1 enchanted, but also does 1-6 extra damage. At one point do you folks generally chose a plain + weapon over the extra damage weapons like the nicked weapons? I understand that there are special instances where the type of elemental damage ( i.e. fire, ice, etc...) or alignment damage is exceptionally good depending on monster type. I'm just looking for a general rule.

Anyway, I hope my question makes sense! :D

thanks

Zenako
10-27-2009, 02:54 PM
Well the math is pretty straightforward.

Longsword +3 = base d8+3+STR bonus
Nicked Longsword = base d8+1+d6 damage+STR bonus.

Since the base weapon and STR bonus are always the same, just look at those that change.

3 vs 1+d6 (1+3.5=4.5)

So for most mobs that can be affected by that form of elemental damage you get 1.5 more point PER HIT. That is where the extra to hit bonus of the +3 comes in thou.

If we assume you hit the monster 50% of the time with the nicked weapon, you would hit the monster 60% of the time with the +3 weapon. Now you really need to look at the total damage. Lets assume you have a 16 STR for +3 damage.

Longsword +3 = 4.5(base)+3(weapon bonus)+3(STR) = 10.5 per hit and does an average of 6.3 per swing. (10.5 * 60%)

Nicked Longsword = 4.5(base)+1(weapon bonus)+3(STR)+3.5(Elemental) = 12 per hit does an average of 6 per swing. (12 *50%)

So in the range of hit prob where you are only hitting around half the time, the plain old +3 weapon actually rates to do more damage over time. If your chances to hit are better, then the Nicked will do more damage, and if the target is very hard to hit, the +3 will gain a bigger edge.

Lorien_the_First_One
10-27-2009, 02:55 PM
If you can hit with the +1 and if your target isn't immune to the speciality effect, that's better. It's staight math:

1d6 + 1 + 1d6 (fire) = 8 ave damage (not including crits)
1d6 + 3 = 6.5 ave damage (not including crits)

Now if you aren't hitting with the +1 and you are with the +3, or if you were fighting, for example, a fire elemental, the +3 wins.

Doing the same math above, you will see that at +5 the +5 weapon wins...unless the creature takes extra damage from the extra effect (for example a fire ele taking double damage from a cold weapon)

darkdawn1
10-27-2009, 03:13 PM
Thanks for the replies!