PDA

View Full Version : Boost enhancements for a Ranger ?

lppmor
10-27-2009, 10:34 AM
As a Ranger, worth investing some points into the boosts?

For now, Energy Resistance Boost is saving me a lot of times against casters and traps, but what about at higher levels after getting Evasion? And what about Skill Boost? Worth having for those moments when a good search or stealth is required?

So, should I invest on any of these enhancements or just spend my spare points into the favored enhancements?

Slorgs
10-27-2009, 10:45 AM
For now, Energy Resistance Boost is saving me a lot of times against casters and traps, but what about at higher levels after getting Evasion?

Evasion will only go so far in mitigating damage, the resistance and skill boosts are useless on a ranger in my opinion. You will get spells that will both boost your resistance (dr) to 30/element and also be able to self cast protection from elements providing a limited damage shield. The enhancement costs valuable AP, has a low duration and is inferior to the spells you can cast on yourself or others).

The skill boosts provide limited value as well as there are no skills that are going to tremendously benefit from a 20 second boost. IMO they are a waste of AP. If you have AP to burn throw them into Ranger Devotion, so your heal serious wounds will hit you for 50, you won't have enough mana to be a healer, but being able to cast a quick heal on myself (or a downed party memeber before they die) is just enough to keep you/them on your feet. Drink a potion at the same time and you extend your survivability in a bad situation. You could spend your AP on FE damage or just about anything, but putting them into boosts is a bit of waste.

lppmor
10-27-2009, 11:00 AM
I only considerd Energy Resistance Boost since it stacks with other resistances and for those moments I really don't know which resistance to use..

But Devotion seems a really nice idea. More healing is always welcome.

Slorgs
10-27-2009, 11:02 AM
Either way I think you will be ok, and you can easily respec your AP at the trainer. For me when resistance is a problem, it's because of some ridiculous critical or living spells spamming metor shower which does bludgeoning anyways. If it works for you, take it, if it becomes less useful you can always respec. :)

Club'in
10-27-2009, 11:25 AM
I love the energy resist boost. It's valuable up through level 12 or what not. Acid arrow and Burning Blood are easily mitigated with the click of a mouse. I only take the first level, so it's only 1 AP. I'm not the type that can remember every point where a certain resist is needed. And many of my rangers have minimal wisdom, so I'm not starting out a quest by laying down every resist in spell form. (and the spell points are better used for Ram's Might, anyways) If you find yourself forgetting to use it, exhancements are easily respec'd. None of the ranger boost enhancements are worth expanding beyond the first level. The gains are minimal, for costly AP.

I've used the ranger skill boost for my one ranger that has a splash of rogue. (ok, in this instance it is worth getting additional levels of the boost, it definitely helps for running quests where you are lower than the level of the quest, or are running it on a harder difficulty, many times I couldn't even find a trap until boosting)

I love the ranger sprint boost. It's just about the best 1AP enhancement in the game. I really miss it when playing other characters.

tihocan
10-27-2009, 11:58 AM
Sprint Boost I is a must have.
Skill boost is for UMD if you invested a bit in it.

lppmor
10-27-2009, 12:13 PM
Sprint Boost is used only for rushing your time or there are moments you really want to used it strategically in combat? And it stacks with Longstrider?

Missing_Minds
10-27-2009, 12:22 PM
Sprint Boost is used only for rushing your time or there are moments you really want to used it strategically in combat? And it stacks with Longstrider?

sprint boost is the only other thing besides barbarian fast movment (class feat) that stacks with longstider, haste, etc.

As for when to use it? Only way you'll out run mobs, catch up to running mobs, get from point A to B faster. (sometimes just to speed the time, others because soemone is encap and you need to get there fast.)

Slorgs
10-27-2009, 12:33 PM
Yeah sprint boost (I have 2 levels) is very handy, always good for a quick run to Meridia. The generic skill boost is what I think is pointless. I haven't thought about UMD... but since I have monk and no rogue, there's not much I can squeeze out of UMD that a boost will help much for :)

If I did it again, I probably would have went 1 rog, 12 rng, 1 mnk, rest rng.

Ultimately AP are easy to change so you can mix it up. Towards end game though I don't have much issue except for situations where I get pummeled on a crit spell for 260 or something when I'm already down some good amount of HP.

For Melfs or burning blood I just self cast resist or throw on a cloak.

Arianrhod
10-27-2009, 12:38 PM
One thing about enhancements -

It's a lot easier to reset your enhancements than your feats (and we won't even get into changing stats or skills....)

If you like the energy resist boost, keep it for now. Later, you may find you want to put those points into Favored Enemy Enhancements (like when you have 3+ favored enemies), or Toughness enhancements, or Prestige Enhancements & their prereqs....if/when that happens, you can change them :)

Club'in
10-27-2009, 12:49 PM
For Melfs or burning blood I just self cast resist or throw on a cloak.

Sure, you can do that. But meanwhile, the fight goes on without you. And for burning blood you need fire AND acid. The energy resist fires up with a single click (and handles both damage types), and you're back in the fray. Once you get beyond the levels where enemy casters are using Acid Arrow and Burning Blood, it's easy to swap out of it. And again, only take the first level for 1 AP. For my dual-wielding rangers, pack space is really starting to get short. I don't like to carry around 4 or 5 different items (such as resistance cloaks) to handle such situations. (those items you're better off shuffling over to your Fighter/Barbarian/Bard/Monk alts since they can't cast resistance spells).

Good point, Missing. I also use the skill boost on my Ranger/Rogue to bump my UMD up to a level where I can equip my warforged-only Paralyzing short bow (he's a halfling). Finally on my next level up I'll have a native UMD skill that will allow me to equip it just by putting my Charisma cloak on.

Slorgs
10-27-2009, 12:54 PM
Sure, you can do that. But meanwhile, the fight goes on without you.

It only takes a second to click on a hotbar, less if you use keystrokes :) Either way the system supports various play styles. I usually cast resist after the fight anyway, as I have never died due to Melfs or Burning Blood. I agree with not having to carry extra items, but there are cases where you can be dispelled and the item comes in handy.

GreenGurgler
10-27-2009, 12:58 PM
I have a 1 rogue/18 ranger and am completely trapmonkey capable so I took skill boost 1,2 & 3 to really help out when needed.

I also have sprint boost but went a little more and went SB 1,2 & 3 and now I am hooked. I cant stand how slow I go without it. SB is a 5x a day 20sec clicky timer. It is useful for a lot of circumstances or when you just want to get somewhere fast and ahead of the group.

Ultimately, no decision is permanent as others have pointed out. You can (for a small fee and a few day timer) swap out your action points anytime.