PDA

View Full Version : I'm older than dirt and don't have the motor skills to steer using WASD

FarOutFish
10-26-2009, 02:46 PM
I'm older than dirt and don't have the motor skills to steer using WASD so I sue my mouse to steer and attack, clicking out of mouse lock with the right mouse key to click on other than number one bar which I use 1-0. This is awkward but works solo but is a cluster fork trying to group. I will be getting a microphone next week so I can play in groups. I am not sure I have the motor skills for s game pad but will look into that. Does anybody have any suggestions?

While I am asking questions, do the bank and mail reach across servers? I doubt it, but if it does it would be great to transfer gear to characters on another server.

I would like to thank all those who have been kind enough to answer my numerous questions. We have a great community here.

TreknaQudane
10-26-2009, 02:50 PM
While I am asking questions, do the bank and mail reach across servers?

No

moops
10-26-2009, 02:52 PM
You might just try moving functions to different keys. .

I too constantly use mouselook, but I use the letter "T" to click in and out of it. and the right click on my mouse is my "use npcs and doors" and the left Click is my attack/point and click button that I use on my hot bars for stuff I don't have hot keyed--I hot keyed many spells and weapon sets so I dont have to use my mouse for most.

I personally find it harder to use game pads, but I also work on a computer all day. So I tend to play pc games more than XBOX/Playstation unless the xbox game is just pressing x most of the time:)

Beherit_Baphomar
10-26-2009, 02:52 PM
We do have a super community here, don't we?

Mail doesn't reach accross servers, not sure if a shared bank space does. If it does that'd be the way to go.

As for yer other question, get on of em fancy mouses with a bajillion buttons on it. Might take some getting used to but should be worth it for you.

Lemme go hunt down some links for you.

Beherit_Baphomar
10-26-2009, 03:01 PM
Gaming mooses. (http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=Gaming+mouse&x=17&y=30)

I think one of those has 24 buttons.

I dunno which ones are any good and I dunno what the differences are but hopefully you'll be able to do a lil more digging.

Good luck.

moorewr
10-26-2009, 03:02 PM
I'm with you - I hate steering with the keyboard.

The first thing I do after logging in is press `T' so I am steering with the mouse. That gives the game a much nicer "FPS" feel, and lets your fingers wander to hotkeys more quickly when you aren't busy pressing `W' to run forward.

Gleipner
10-26-2009, 03:08 PM
yepp yepp, FPS vet ere so i only use mouselook for maximum speed on 180´s for taking care of mobbs behind you etc etc.

To op: i hope you find a solution on your problem, as mentioned in the thread you migth want to overlook your keymapping.

Zereth501
10-26-2009, 03:18 PM
Maybe you should just practice. When I first start a game, I usually am clumsy for a few hours before I get a feel for the commands. DDO use a first person shooter - like setup, so most players are already familiar with it. If you are starting from scratch, it could take a dozen hours of playing before you get used to it.
Of course, I could be wrong, as I do not know anyone other 40 who plays. But I do know it takes practice even for young people.

Therigar
10-26-2009, 03:25 PM
I'm older than dirt and don't have the motor skills to steer using WASD.

Go to the local computer store and buy a Logitech Dual Action controller (or similar competing model). It will have two joysticks which you can program to control left-right and forward-backward movement (l/r being on one joystick & f/b on the other). It will also have various other (10 total) buttons that you can program to your main hotbar.

Once you get familiar it is like driving a car, you don't even think about the controls at all. It is easier than using the mouse for everything.

I only need the mouse for clicking on stuff to activate it (and that is only on things like dungeon difficulty settings, dialogs and some doors/portals).

DagazUlf
10-26-2009, 03:32 PM
I also play predominately in "mouselook mode" (from my FPS background I guess), using the "T" key to enter/exit mouselook; the "E" key is the activate button; 1 to 0, ctrl-1 to ctrl-0, alt-1 to alt-0, and shift-1 to shift-0 are my 4 primary hotbar keymappings.

Steering around with wasd is just super-awkward for me in comparison to the smoothness of mouselook. Also, for me, my situational awareness in combat is just completely hindered if I am not in mouselook.

I'd say just use whatever is comfortable and slowly make changes like shortcut keys or different mappings until it all just feels right.

Blazeofhonor
10-26-2009, 03:33 PM
I'm older than dirt and don't have the motor skills to steer using WASD so I sue my mouse to steer and attack, clicking out of mouse lock with the right mouse key to click on other than number one bar which I use 1-0. This is awkward but works solo but is a cluster fork trying to group. I will be getting a microphone next week so I can play in groups. I am not sure I have the motor skills for s game pad but will look into that. Does anybody have any suggestions?

While I am asking questions, do the bank and mail reach across servers? I doubt it, but if it does it would be great to transfer gear to characters on another server.

I would like to thank all those who have been kind enough to answer my numerous questions. We have a great community here.

I am a converted Mouse clicker... Up until this game i was a point and click user...took me 2 days to re-map my mind to use the WASD keys. What i ended up doing was map my strafe left to Q and my strafe right to E. I steer with my mouse and hold down the W key. MAybe being older then dirt does diminish motor skills but you will still be faster (even with dimished motor skills) once u get use to the wasd keys. (or in my case the WQRS keys) Hope this helps

Vorn
10-26-2009, 03:36 PM
Shared bank space does not cross servers.

As a fellow non-twitch player, I got a gamepad and it helps a lot....though I still struggle with the pit and coal chamber...but that's the screw loose on the mouse!
:p
:)

Missing_Minds
10-26-2009, 03:41 PM
actually I'm a straight up keyboard player. Only time I touch the mouse is when I have to.

So swimming around. actually opening a freaking door because they SCREWED UP backspace targeting, hitting those buttons on the hotbar that aren't keyed (then praying I remember move the mouse off it other wise YOU CAN'T ****ING ATTACK. Same when you hit "loot all")

Just had to change my turn speed and I was good.

Madness1975
10-26-2009, 03:41 PM
Hi to everyone i am a newbie on a free to play account and just needed to ask the question
i am a big WOWLK player and am looking for a new online games to play and just won t ed to know how this game stakes up to WOWLK and other online games, and is the free to play game just a con to get you to buy an VIP account is the free to play unlimited like it says or just a kick in the butt after 4 weeks or somethink lol ;) sorry for the message but need some Q and A

Junts
10-26-2009, 03:42 PM
actually I'm a straight up keyboard player. Only time I touch the mouse is when I have to.

So swimming around. actually opening a freaking door because they SCREWED UP backspace targeting, hitting those buttons on the hotbar that aren't keyed (then praying I remember move the mouse off it other wise YOU CAN'T ****ING ATTACK. Same when you hit "loot all")

backspace still works for me, and I play the same way. Also, leave soft targetting on for interactables, and all you have to do is face the lever and hit your use key.

TasteTester
10-26-2009, 03:53 PM

Also strictly keyboard, with the mouse used only for an occasional non-combat click (doors, NPCs and the like) or, like you, swimming or looking around. In my case I mapped the arrow keys for forward/backward/left/right. That's all my right hand does, freeing the left for "A" (remapped for swing weapon), selecting from 0-9 from the hotbar (common specials/heal pots, etc) and the function keys for selecting other party members. Old EQ habits die hard.

And yeah, I *hate* it when I don't have the cursor in the 3-D window and a fight starts. :-)

PentegarnDarras
10-26-2009, 04:20 PM
If I may:

I recommend the Nostromo speedpad, I've been using one since AC1 Beta.

http://www.n52te.com/

FarOutFish
10-26-2009, 05:12 PM
There are a couple systems that look good. Due to my having a chronic case of the Hawaiian disease Lackomoola it will be a month or two before I can afford one. My first priority is a mic which I will get next month when my SS check arrives. (BTW one of the complications of Lackomoola is Lackonookie) Truth, I suffer from a genetic condition called family tremor disorder that cause some shakiness in my hands. The older you get the worse it gets. It's really not that bad but makes WASD hard to do. Over time I'll make adjustments to make the game easier for me. This is the main reason, besides lack of a mic, I have been soloing. Love the game and play all the time (Can't afford to do anything else and don't want to) I'll start grouping when I get the mic. Join you then.

For all those who have helped.

May the Wind be at Your Back, and Your Love in Your Arms

ivar415
10-26-2009, 07:52 PM
I found the remapping of the T key to my Trackball middle mouse button(scroll wheel) extremely helpful.

Before that I was always scrambling for the damn T key, making me loose the vital contact with WASD. ;)
I really recommend learning the WASD for moving around, or just try use the normal arrow keys if your fingers are just to sausagey for the left side of the keyboard.

Noctus
10-26-2009, 08:57 PM
Toogle Mouselook = 3rd mouse button
Autorun on/off = 4th mouse button

---> Use WASD for strafing and twitch , use pure mouse for moving.

DnD3
10-26-2009, 10:46 PM
G15 and G5 here, friend got me the g5 as a Bday present and it was a little weird to get used to it at first after I set the correct weight I'm very used to it and the extra 2 keys come in handy and so does the on the fly sensitivity changer, I wish it had more though, if you can get it for like 30 id say you buy it, if not I heard the razor mouse is good, logitech quality on some products is pretty questionable.

Cupcake
10-27-2009, 11:55 AM
LOL I gotta go back and read this entire thread.

I have no motor/twitch skills.

Mouselook mode sucks for me. Never use it.

I can't use the WASD either. I steer using my arrow keys on my keyboard.

I can't use the function keys. I have things hotkeyed to my number pad and to numbers 1-9 only. Anything else I have to click on it.

I have tendonitis in my wrists and arthritis in my fingers.

coalence chamber...........is SUCH a joy. :D