PDA

View Full Version : Simple Question Regarding Skill Points

generalzahg
10-26-2009, 01:49 PM
I'm planning to take a few fighter levels for my rogue, and would like to know if it's possible to save skill points when you level and spend them next level or if the game doesn't allow you to continue the leveling process until you've spent your skill points.

I'm guessing it's the latter, but it would be a pleasant surprise if it turned out to be the former.

Thanks in advance,

Zahg

shores11
10-26-2009, 01:53 PM
You can not save skill points to spend on another level up. If you do not spend all of your skill points you will not be able to advance past that page. Besides there would be absolutely no advantage to doing that anyway.

Gamedog
10-26-2009, 01:53 PM
I always save my points until I take my next lvl. Now, I don't know how it works for multiclass when trying to save points, but I would imagine that it is the same.

Sorry, I misunderstood... I was thinking Action points....my bad

GreenGurgler
10-26-2009, 01:56 PM
I always save my points until I take my next lvl. Now, I don't know how it works for multiclass when trying to save points, but I would imagine that it is the same.

??? Do you mean achievement/action points? Because you cant save skill points, they must be used up at the time of level up (in Rons character planner you can save up skill points but not in the actual game).

Nevermind, saw the bottom of your post more clearly ;)

Sir_Chonas
10-26-2009, 01:56 PM
Skill points must be spent per level, cannot be stored up.

generalzahg
10-26-2009, 01:59 PM
You can not save skill points to spend on another level up. If you do not spend all of your skill points you will not be able to advance past that page. Besides there would be absolutely no advantage to doing that anyway.

The advantage would be that I don't have to pay cross-class costs for the rogue skills that I desire. No offense to fighters, but their skill selection is meager at best and only the jump skill is really of any use to a rogue. But if you can't do it, you can't do it. I played a lot of KotOR recently and just need to get their take on the system out of my mind.

shores11
10-26-2009, 02:08 PM
The advantage would be that I don't have to pay cross-class costs for the rogue skills that I desire. No offense to fighters, but their skill selection is meager at best and only the jump skill is really of any use to a rogue. But if you can't do it, you can't do it. I played a lot of KotOR recently and just need to get their take on the system out of my mind.

You would have to overcome two things.

1) We already clarified you can not store skill points.

2) If you meant you wanted to save your skill points after leveling up as a fighter until you level up as a rogue on the next level? This would be a huge hurdle as well as skill points assigned as a fighter are that for you to spend while you are leveling as a fighter (which we all know are not as many as a rogue gets).

However this is one of the appropriate hurdles or challenges all players that multiclass have to overcome. I am multiclassing a wizard/rogue with the intent to have him almost as effective as a pure rogue when all is said and done. I know that any version of multiclass rogue can never be as strong a trapsmith as a pure class rogue but it adds a little danger to the rogue'ing I think. I do have a pure rogue and he never fails with any trap on any difficulty so it is fun to have to be so careful with my wizard/rogue and then still not be sure he will succeed.

generalzahg
10-26-2009, 02:15 PM
You would have to overcome two things.

1) We already clarified you can not store skill points.

2) If you meant you wanted to save your skill points after leveling up as a fighter until you level up as a rogue on the next level? This would be a huge hurdle as well as skill points assigned as a fighter are that for you to spend while you are leveling as a fighter (which we all know are not as many as a rogue gets).

However this is one of the appropriate hurdles or challenges all players that multiclass have to overcome. I am multiclassing a wizard/rogue with the intent to have him almost as effective as a pure rogue when all is said and done. I know that any version of multiclass rogue can never be as strong a trapsmith as a pure class rogue but it adds a little danger to the rogue'ing I think. I do have a pure rogue and he never fails with any trap on any difficulty so it is fun to have to be so careful with my wizard/rogue and then still not be sure he will succeed.

Yeah that is what I meant, I can see I was a bit unclear. Sacrificing a few skill points for a few feats is certainly worth it, at least to me if not the power gamers. It would have simply been a cherry on top.