PDA

View Full Version : 28pt-32pt, tomes, questions

Tusc
10-26-2009, 01:46 PM
I haven't unlocked 32 point builds. I understand that at some time in the future, it will be possible to buy 32 point builds rather than grind the favor. But I want to play now, and I have a lot of questions.

I searched for a thread that explained all this stuff in detail, but I can't find one. And the bits and pieces I get here and there in other threads is confusing at best. If there is a definitive thread about this subject, please point me in that direction. I would rather not have a character that is just a throwaway character that I use to unlock 32 point builds.

So here are a few questions, and feel free to answer questions that I didn't ask, but should have.

When I get a 28 point build to 1750 favor, it unlocks 32 point builds for future characters on that server. I have seen mention that you also get a tome for that 28 point character. What is that tome? Does it give me +4 stat points that I can apply, making the 28 point character into a 32 point build? Is that tome bound to that character?

Basically, I would like to start a 28 point character that I can keep using, but it is difficult to plan a build that incorporates the possibility of maybe getting 4 more stat points at some undisclosed time in the future.

I understand there will be some different reincarnation options...but I don't really get how each of them work. Just looking for my best bet for starting a character now that won't be a waste of time.

MDS_Geist
10-26-2009, 03:14 PM
at 1750 favor, you have a choice of taking a +2 tome for any stat. Depending on the stat and what you have it at, that can be worth considerably more than four build points as it will raise the given stat by two actual points. So you can raise your 20 base strength to a 22 base.

You can also find tomes as loot in various quests. So unless you need to add four points to a single stat, you should be able to do it if you're patient. If you need to add four points to a single stat, +4 tomes are in the game as end loot from the level 20 raid. However, I'm posting that as hearsay as I have not seen one drop yet.

Hope that helps!

Junts
10-26-2009, 03:23 PM
The tome is +2 to a specific statistic .. the hgihest value tome you've used in a stat applies (eg, if you've used a +1 wis tome and use a +2, you gain one more wisdom). Unlocking 32 pointers does not upgrade your 28 point to a 32; however, they are working on a feature called 'reincarnation' right now. The lesser reincarnation feature will re-level you through the levels you selected (with no changes) and let you redo your starting stats, level ups, skill points, etc. The 'greater reincarnation' feature does exactly the same thing while also upgrading your initial buy to the 32 point buy as a 28 point character. So in the future, you will be able to upgrade your 28 point character to a 32 (and retain all his items, tomes, raid loot, etc).

There is also a coming feature called 'true reincarnation' which lets you re-select alignment, starting class, and all class levels .. it requires you to re-level from level 1 (lesser and greater automatically level you back up from 1-20 in the order you took your old levels .. true puts you at level 1 where you can re-level). True reincarnations also upgrade you -past- 32 point build status (34 your first time, 36 your second), but cause you to need more exp per level. So in the future, you'll be able to upgrade your 28 point character to 32, though you won't be able to change his alignment or class levels without a re-leveling.

and, for Momo:

http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/8357/screenshot00279z.jpg (http://img4.imageshack.us/i/screenshot00279z.jpg/)

Tusc
10-26-2009, 03:42 PM
Thank you. I guess that means you need to plan to add the +2 to a stat that already costs at least 2 points to raise, or your 2 points could end up netting you 2 less than 4 points at creation would.

That is one poorly constructed sentence right there. Anyway...thanks I think I get the drift now.

Junts
10-26-2009, 04:33 PM
Thank you. I guess that means you need to plan to add the +2 to a stat that already costs at least 2 points to raise, or your 2 points could end up netting you 2 less than 4 points at creation would.

That is one poorly constructed sentence right there. Anyway...thanks I think I get the drift now.

However, a 32 point character can use the tome, too, so he remains ahead of you in net total points .. however, if you use it on your highest statistic, you will keep pace with 32 point characters (generally, where 28 point builds lose out is in their dump statistics). In time, you'll be able to greater reincarnate, re-select your starting statistics with 32 points, re-place all 5 your level up points, re-pick all your skills and feats .. and retain every item and tome you've got and used, including the one you'll get for 1750.

In DDO, it is always better to use your bonus stat points (level up stats, tomes, etc) in your highest statistic as far as possible .. the payoff is much better than splitting between many statistics.

sly_1
10-28-2009, 11:04 PM
If you get say, a +2 int tome in 1 quest. Then later get another +2 int tome, do they stack to give you +4 total to int? And in this fashion you just forever harvest tomes to get forever increasing stats?

Lyarisen
10-28-2009, 11:15 PM
"If you get say, a +2 int tome in 1 quest. Then later get another +2 int tome, do they stack to give you +4 total to int? And in this fashion you just forever harvest tomes to get forever increasing stats? "

Only the highest one you use will count towards the bonus, in your example you would receive only bonus of +2... If you found a +2 and used it and then found a +4 and used it you would only have a bonus of +4. Not a total of +6 at least this is what i assume since its goes off of the manuals/tomes that are used in the dnd handbooks that do the same thing...

Uska
10-29-2009, 12:09 AM
If you get say, a +2 int tome in 1 quest. Then later get another +2 int tome, do they stack to give you +4 total to int? And in this fashion you just forever harvest tomes to get forever increasing stats?

No you only get the effect of the tome with the highest plus on any stat. so if you ate a +1 and then a +2 int tome you would only get +2 effect. if it was the way you said we would like have people with some stats near a 100 or maybe even higher