PDA

View Full Version : What class is most needed?

Vernah
10-26-2009, 11:33 AM
Just installed ddo and can't decide what class to play with. What class is most needed at the higher levels for bosses, guilds, etc.? Not necessarily the best class, but one that would help out others the most.

Thanks!

Mithran
10-26-2009, 11:39 AM
To be honest, the class that's normally the most desired is Cleric. Having said that though, I recommend against new players playing the class, as it can be expensive for someone without a good working knowledge of how to play one.

I'd recommend Wizard (of whatever race), maximize Intelligence, put the rest of your stat points into Constitution, and have fun.

darkdawn1
10-26-2009, 11:41 AM
Hello and welcome to DDO!

One of the big classes that folks want is a cleric. That said, there are many out there, but still you should have no problem getting into instances. I'm still only in the mid levels, but I don't see as many magic users around. This may be different in the higher levels, and it may just be my lack of paying attention. Wizards and Sorcerers are tougher to solo, and since a lot of the newer F2P (free to play) folks are doing a lot solo, this could be why.

That said, some of the veteran players will have a better overall knowledge on this subject.

shores11
10-26-2009, 11:43 AM
Wizards and Sorcerers can be very frustrating to play at lower levels because they offer very little to the party. That being said a wizard is my favorite class to play.

Your question was what class is most needed, cleric hands down as there is just not enough of them in game. Yes, I agree they are expensive to play however at lower level they are very good party contributors without much cost at all. They are only expensive really at high level and on elite. Most quests on normal or hard you can get through them with just your spell points.

Phidius
10-26-2009, 11:45 AM
I would say that Bards are as much in demand as clerics, have less expectations on them, and would be more fun (in general) to play.

However, I haven't played Bard much, so I could be way off base.

Carlll
10-26-2009, 11:45 AM
Clerics and FvS are the most demanded, and most powerful.
Every raid group wants a Bard so they are a good choice too.

Wizards and Sorcs are the least wanted at end game.

LargeMarge
10-26-2009, 11:46 AM
Just installed ddo and can't decide what class to play with. What class is most needed at the higher levels for bosses, guilds, etc.? Not necessarily the best class, but one that would help out others the most.

Thanks!

First off...let me say WELCOME!

To answer your question...Most of the higher level raids end up needing an extra cleric or bard. It seems that these two classes end up being the most demanded.

Also...your attitude of "help out others" is AWSOME! That attitude will get you far in this game. When a player is not just out for himself or herself and there to help out the group...that is the best way to be successful in this game (IMO). You will find a lot of people will want to group with you.

ddoer
10-26-2009, 11:52 AM
don't know what exactly is meant by "needed". in high level raid with 12 party members, most of the parties have 1-3 healer type, and 1-2 arcane caster, 0-1 bard, and the other rest are melee, mostly dps melee.

DakFrost
10-26-2009, 12:06 PM
As it has always been, Clerics are the most "needed" class at any level. Just take a look at the LFM's and see how many are sitting waiting for a healer to join before they begin.

It actually gets quite annoying being constantly invited to groups.

IronAngel
10-26-2009, 12:10 PM
I would say that Bards are as much in demand as clerics, have less expectations on them, and would be more fun (in general) to play.

However, I haven't played Bard much, so I could be way off base.

Bards are great in certain missions (many people like warchanters) because they are not debuffed the way other spells tend to be at higher level. My Bard has no trouble finding groups.

WolfSpirit
10-26-2009, 12:14 PM
I'd suggest you look at some of the builds in the class section and see which feels the most fun to you. It doesn't really matter what you play (within reason) you will find plenty of groups to play with and your fun should be held in the highest regard.
That being said, Please don't multiclass without doing your homework first or you MIGHT find it hard to group. (Talking to you Wiz/Sorc Cler/FvS players!)
That is... Its VERY easy to make bad builds so don't enter into them without carefully doing your homework.
-
Now for basic classes in need?
Cleric (or FvS if you buy it)
Bard (ALWAYS a welcome addition AND can help you make money)
ANY well build melee class.
And Casting Classes
Really I have them all and don't have any trouble.
But to be really effective, just make sure you check out the 'Classes' section of these forums and read up on a good build. (Like what to set your abilities and skills at)

Noctus
10-26-2009, 12:49 PM
What class is most needed at the higher levels for bosses, guilds, etc.? Not necessarily the best class, but one that would help out others the most.

Hello & welcome to DDO!

The most waited for class in raids is the Bard, especially the Warchanter variant is highly sought after in high-level raids.

In 6-man groups for regular quests it is alittle different. there a Healer (may it be a Cleric or favored Soul) is what is sought most. Most groups wont go adventuring without one. While Bards are still very good for excellent buffs, they then either fill a Melee (Warchanter) or Caster (Spellsinger) Slot in the group makeup.

For a new player i´d recommend a Warchanter Bard, as they are MUCH, MUCH less resource intensive then Clerics. And people are basically satisfied if you keep up the buff songs and help out in fight a little. Everything a typical bard does over that is gravy. And through maxing out the haggle skill you will make good money playing and leveling the Bard.
While there are many cholerics out there who blame the Healer each and every time they die. "It was the Clerics fault that i aggroed 3 ogres , he couldnt heal enough when i got dual-critted through my wet-paper AC. / It was the Clerics fault i fell into lava and he didnt leave the group alone and ran over there to spend half his mana pool to heal me while i swam out of it / Its the cleric fault we wiped in a quest one elite, 2 levels above group average, just because he didnt bring healing supplies for 70,000 gold to spend on us /etc etc....."

Vernah
10-26-2009, 12:52 PM
Thanks for all the replies.

So it looks like most parties are in need of a bard or cleric. I'm more familiar playing with a cleric (played a melee cleric throughout all the NWN series). Is DDO much different? Would playing a bard be more fun than a cleric? Also, what specific types of clerics are needed? It sounds like overall healers are needed, and not so much meleers.

Carlll
10-26-2009, 01:33 PM
Also, what specific types of clerics are needed? It sounds like overall healers are needed, and not so much meleers.
Any Cleric can heal and if you give him decent Strength, he can also fight. But groups want Clerics for heals, obviously.

Bard is probably more fun because the group doesnt expect you to healbot them. Basically you can play your songs and then do whatever you want and they'll happy.

Meleeing Warchanter Bard who dabbles a bit in healing is probably a good choice for you if you like meleeing Clerics from NWN already.

Talon_Moonshadow
10-26-2009, 04:25 PM
Cleric.

And I think every player should play one first.
Not because it's easy, but because you learn many important lessons while playing one.

Whether people should need clerics most, is another issue.

But...they really do need clerics......really.....they do.

moops
10-26-2009, 04:28 PM

Thanks!

Id say Bards. At least its been my experience that in the guilds Ive been in everyone has at least One cleric if not two--but not everyone has a Bard. Anyway I find myself usually scraping for a Bard to do some of the Raids on Hard and Elite.

KillEveryone
10-26-2009, 05:25 PM
Hello & welcome to DDO!
While there are many cholerics out there who blame the Healer each and every time they die. "It was the Clerics fault that i aggroed 3 ogres , he couldnt heal enough when i got dual-critted through my wet-paper AC. / It was the Clerics fault i fell into lava and he didnt leave the group alone and ran over there to spend half his mana pool to heal me while i swam out of it / Its the cleric fault we wiped in a quest one elite, 2 levels above group average, just because he didnt bring healing supplies for 70,000 gold to spend on us /etc etc....."

It's always the clerics fault. If they would just load that cure stupid spell more they would help the group more.

:D

Personally, I haven't had the blame if a party wipes. When the party starts to split, everyone tends to see that and I can only be in 1 area at a time, can't heal through walls...stupid stuff. Either that or we were just trying to do a quest that is jusw WAY over our head. This case WOULD be my fault because I tend to be a bit ballsy and try to do the beholder quest in House K(or other such difficult quest while under a sufficient enough lvl) on hard with a lvl 5-7 group, and I mostly start my own parties. :D I still have fun though.

Don't pick a class that is most in demand just to fill a role. Pick something YOU will think is fun. It is a game. Parties can bring their own heals and buffs.

Fishy
10-27-2009, 03:13 PM
don't know what exactly is meant by "needed". in high level raid with 12 party members, most of the parties have 1-3 healer type, and 1-2 arcane caster, 0-1 bard, and the other rest are melee, mostly dps melee.

Yup. Most high level raids are heavily weighted towards melee. That being said, most groups fill up quickly with melee and casters, and then spend a lot of time looking for healers.

In my experience on Thelanis, my bard has a lot of trouble finding PUGs. Rarely, outside of a few raids, do I see an LFM asking specifically for a bard.

Favis
10-27-2009, 03:29 PM
Cleric

As most people allready told :)

likuei
10-27-2009, 10:52 PM
I DO NOT SUGGEST a new player roll a cleric, as you will probably quit the game before you reach end game. The class is abused from day one and unless you are in a guild, you will spend a good chunk of your free time replacing the resources you have used. The majority of the people playing DDO do NOT like playing Clerics, so they tell all new players to go that route.

Play a Warchanter Bard, you will be able to melee, enjoy the game far more than a healbot (which these people are trying to push you into) and do things that the other party members will like you for (Bard songs)

BUT ... if you are just looking to get favor as fast as possible, play a cleric. If you really want to play to have fun, play a bard (Warchanter or Spellsinger).

Enochroot
10-27-2009, 11:11 PM
I DO NOT SUGGEST a new player roll a cleric, as you will probably quit the game before you reach end game. The class is abused from day one and unless you are in a guild, you will spend a good chunk of your free time replacing the resources you have used. The majority of the people playing DDO do NOT like playing Clerics, so they tell all new players to go that route.

Play a Warchanter Bard, you will be able to melee, enjoy the game far more than a healbot (which these people are trying to push you into) and do things that the other party members will like you for (Bard songs)

BUT ... if you are just looking to get favor as fast as possible, play a cleric. If you really want to play to have fun, play a bard (Warchanter or Spellsinger).

This is heavily biased towards your own preferences. Playing a healing cleric especially new is exciting as LONG AS YOU CARE ABOUT SUCCESS MORE THAN PERSONALLY BEATING ON THINGS.

From day 1 clericing has been exciting as I've always cared about the party winning - and invested all my effort into ensuring that happens. People such as above quoted only care about winning so much as they can personally "smash things". Plus you will learn more from clericing than from anything else. You can always tell in parties who has clericed before and who hasn't, they are generally much better players. (Note: generally)

So, OP - if you enjoy the challenge of keeping parties alive, (the stupider they are, the more fun normally, as it's more challenging - up to a point, of course, when they are simply too stupid) - play a cleric or CC bard. If you want to beat on things and think that somehow this is more key to victory than controlling the entire battlefield - play a melee or warchanter.

likuei
10-27-2009, 11:16 PM
Sorry, I have been playing mostly Clerics since I started. While it does sound a bit biased, it really is a sound response to the the OP. I have 4 capped characters, two of which are clerics. I am speaking from experience.

MissErres
10-27-2009, 11:23 PM

Thanks!

First of all... Welcome to DDO!!

As for what class is "needed", I'd say none are really "needed". Most of us that have been around a while have a full arsenal of toons that can be pulled out for any occasion, however Healers are always in high demand.

However, that being said, I don't recommend a Cleric/FvS/Bard for a first character. They can be very expensive to play and they do require a bit of situational knowledge to be effective.

My first character was a fighter, just plain ol' straight of the line fighter. Not too exciting to play, but it was a great way to learn the game. Low pressure, hard to screw up, easy to re-roll after learning a few things and opening up 32-pt builds.

So my suggestion: make a low pressure toon and absorb a bit of the game before trying a more high profile class.

Eeyno
10-27-2009, 11:58 PM
Healers are almost always in demand no matter what game you played. When I played PnP D&D I was the cleric, when I played some other MMO's I was usually a healer. I played WoW for many years as a holy priest focused for party/raid healing. While DPS get's excited about certain crits or other tricks they pulled off I always got my thrill but knowing how close we came to wiping but my healing efforts really made a difference.

Now that I'm a DDO Player I find myself playing a cleric more and I really enjoy it. I've been doing a few rerolls and trying to find a build that works the best for me.

I usually prefer to play a pure healing build but that makes it really hard to solo with so my healing build is the one I play with a group of friends and I have a few other clerics that can hit with a weapon hard enough to solo their quests.

I'm hoping one day to find a good permanent group/guild to run with so I can make my true healer build and start leveling up as a group.

Kralgnax
10-28-2009, 08:41 AM
I think there are three questions floating around here, somewhat mixed together.

What class is in in shortest supply in high level play? The answers all seem to be clerics and bards.
What class should the OP pick for their character? Various answers, mine would be "Play what appeals to you. Cleric is certainly a reasonable choice, bard might be a little more challenging."
Is cleric an easy/fun class to play for new players? In this new player's view for fun - Oh hell, yes, solo and in PUG and in static groups. Easy is trickier to define.
My 2 cp worth.

BattleCircle
10-28-2009, 08:44 AM
I can tell you that on Cannith at least there is a definite lack of bards

and "good" clerics :p j/k

Aumvaar
10-28-2009, 08:50 AM
From reading the forum, I get the impression that the most widely desired class is that of the "Smart, Skilled, Polite, Knowledgable Player."

Translation: Play what most appeals to YOU ... but whatever it is, learn to play it WELL, & learn to get along well with others, & you will get party invitations.

Wyrmnax
10-28-2009, 08:59 AM
I would suggest that everyone should play a cleric someday.

It gives you a quite good idea of what kind of behavior is all right, and what is the kind of behavior that the healers will be glad to let die and drop the stone in a lava pool.

sirgog
10-28-2009, 09:16 AM
I think there are three questions floating around here, somewhat mixed together.

What class is in in shortest supply in high level play? The answers all seem to be clerics and bards.
What class should the OP pick for their character? Various answers, mine would be "Play what appeals to you. Cleric is certainly a reasonable choice, bard might be a little more challenging."
Is cleric an easy/fun class to play for new players? In this new player's view for fun - Oh hell, yes, solo and in PUG and in static groups. Easy is trickier to define.
My 2 cp worth.

Warchanter bards are IMO strong from level 1-5, the single most powerful class by a LONG way from level 6 (when you get Warchanter 1) through to level 10, second only to clerics (and the very similar favored souls) from levels 11 through early endgame, and are always in extreme demand at endgame.

They can melee well due to their selfbuffs (only slightly less well than a traditional melee, although the other melees eclipse the bard when they get your buffs). They can heal themselves (and at times others) in significant bursts, and at level 6 pick up an amazing defensive buff that reduces all melee damage suffered by 5 points per hit (when soloing, that can halve incoming melee damage).

Galapas
10-28-2009, 09:28 AM
If you do go cleric, don't be a healbot.

DDO doesn't shove players into niches as rigorously as other MMOs. A cleric can heal very well while taking on other duties. Besides healing, clerics can buff, fight and cast offensive spells. All clerics can heal and buff well. The two main divisions are battlecleric and spellcasting cleric, because those two abilities are hard to combine. At low levels, a cleric spec'd for fighting will be more capable than a spellcasting cleric, but at higher levels, that switches around. At the endgame ... I don't know, but I'm sure someone else does.

BracchusBridgeburner
10-28-2009, 11:57 AM
From my limited experience so far, this game hasn't turned out to be any different from the many other MMO's I've played in regards to needing healers. And by that I mean the shortage of healers isn't really as bad as it sounds, so if you're worried about getting groups as a DPS, well don't. It sounds like you're afraid that you'll have frequent trouble getting into groups unless you roll a healbot, but trust me, if you really want at heart to DPS, then go for it. I almost fell into that way of thinking for the first MMO in my life here, because DDO was quite a bit more complex than most MMO's so I worried and rolled a healer. But now that I'm becoming comfy with the game mechancis (and the fact that I'm buying 32 pt builds in another hour) I'll likely roll the DPS I've been itching to do anyway.

sirgog
10-28-2009, 12:06 PM
If you do go cleric, don't be a healbot.

DDO doesn't shove players into niches as rigorously as other MMOs. A cleric can heal very well while taking on other duties. Besides healing, clerics can buff, fight and cast offensive spells. All clerics can heal and buff well. The two main divisions are battlecleric and spellcasting cleric, because those two abilities are hard to combine. At low levels, a cleric spec'd for fighting will be more capable than a spellcasting cleric, but at higher levels, that switches around. At the endgame ... I don't know, but I'm sure someone else does.

IMO offensive casting specced clerics are stronger against foes without rednamed immunities (i.e. against non-bosses), and melee-specced clerics are stronger against rednamed foes, or foes with extreme HP and significant immunities.

That said, melee specced clerics tend to be slightly less healing-capable than offensive caster builds, as they generally have less SP due to prioritising Strength over Wisdom.

JStone
10-28-2009, 01:02 PM
sorry got sick of reading ...

yes CLERICS and favored SOULS are most welcome and BARDS are great too but something that has been overlooked is that most groups need some sort of ROGUE, and rogue is wicked fun to play.

Vernah
11-02-2009, 12:57 PM
Thanks again for all the replies - I didn't think I'd get that many!

I think I've decided to go with a Warchanter Bard... mainly because I've played a Cleric before and it sounds like they get yelled at a lot :P

I think a Bard would be a decent challenge for me as I've never played one before and I'll be entering an entirely new game.

I've been reading around and it looks like many are using the 32pt build. Is it recommended that I go this route? I don't mind spending a little cash to get a better build, as long as it isn't too much ($15/month was too much for me).

As far as specific builds, I haven't found too many that go up to level 20... I'm afraid if I try to build one myself it might turn out bad and I would have wasted hours of my time. Any ideas?

Thanks again.

Quintun
11-02-2009, 01:07 PM

I think I've decided to go with a Warchanter Bard... mainly because I've played a Cleric before and it sounds like they get yelled at a lot :P

I think a Bard would be a decent challenge for me as I've never played one before and I'll be entering an entirely new game.

I've been reading around and it looks like many are using the 32pt build. Is it recommended that I go this route? I don't mind spending a little cash to get a better build, as long as it isn't too much ($15/month was too much for me).

As far as specific builds, I haven't found too many that go up to level 20... I'm afraid if I try to build one myself it might turn out bad and I would have wasted hours of my time. Any ideas?

Thanks again.

The 32pt build will cost you about one months subscription fee.

JStone
11-02-2009, 01:37 PM
if your going bard you could start as a drow they get better charisma than others and they dont need the 32pt build (in fact they cant even us it)

Bandet
01-25-2015, 02:22 PM
The rouge also gets yelled at but he is fun (or at least to me)

LuKaSu
01-25-2015, 04:11 PM
The rouge also gets yelled at but he is fun (or at least to me)

Well, since the thread has already been necro'd, what do you folks think? Are there any classes that when you see them hit your pug, you think, "Alright! We've got a _______! This is going to rock now!"?

mna
01-25-2015, 04:22 PM
Well, since the thread has already been necro'd, what do you folks think? Are there any classes that when you see them hit your pug, you think, "Alright! We've got a _______! This is going to rock now!"?

... someone who has evidence of multiple past lives. Thus, they can be expected to know what they're doing.

(Then they'll go "Hm, less DPS than I expected, guess I'll do another TR to <whatever>", after killing all the bosses and 75% of the trash mobs, resurrecting the party cleric twice, and having done all the traps too.)

Primary class? What's that got to do with anything?

psykopeta
01-25-2015, 05:59 PM
... someone who has evidence OF HAVING PLAYED multiple past lives. Thus, they can be expected to know what they're doing.

(Then they'll go "Hm, less DPS than I expected, guess I'll do another TR to <whatever>", after killing all the bosses and 75% of the trash mobs, resurrecting the party cleric twice, and having done all the traps too.)

Primary class? What's that got to do with anything?

u forgot that word, played

it's not strange (specially in thelanis) seeing completionists who are professional backpack riders

or seeing 1 "legend" guy running like headless chicken in a quest that we, and he/she, and everybody, know that will die

but he/she thought that cause having 2 pl he can handle a quest, even if he/she has no clue about of it

then you read the typical "sorry, first time in a quest"

which qualifies him/her directly for noob, not newbie, newbie players use to pay attention to what's going on instead of jumping in the 1st of all the party

MisterCanoeHead
01-25-2015, 06:06 PM
Play a Paladin.

They are by far the most "easy button" class there is.

With self healing, high PRR/MRR, DPS, and auto trip they are basically invincible.

burningwind
01-25-2015, 07:54 PM
most needed class is warlock...

and if you are talking about class we currently have...hmm.. i guess decent ccer(wizard) could be harder.. i wouldn't mind a few extra druid or monk.. though the truth is every class is decent.. so pick whatever you like..

AbyssalMage
01-25-2015, 08:20 PM

Thanks again.
The Count of Monet Cristo (https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/443235-The-Count-of-Monte-Cristo-dps-CC-survivability-focused-pure-swashbuckler)
^ Very well laid out character ^
Should work with 28/32 very well

The other option I would suggest is:
Gingerspyce (https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/427398-Gingerspyce-s-caster-healer-quasi-tank-build)
Basically, Earth Quake + Sense Weakness (Epic) + DPS = Dead NPC's.
And it can heal, but you heal before the damage.

Video of Gingerspyce 1st life
Videos (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-X8deXpZaQ&index=1&list=PLTX5IZhNI5ua_GUCC0AGpI1Fp6DNrSEG9)

Chaios
01-26-2015, 03:42 AM
I must agree with Enochroot about running a Cleric as new player, and I won't reiterate.

And speaking just for me, if I have an LFM up, one slot left and two players hit it, I'm taking the Cleric. Unless I'm playing a Cleric, then I'm taking the Rogue. Unless I know the Rogue can't do traps... Then I'm taking the Warforged Wizard. If there are no Warforged Wizards, then an undead one will do, but only provisionally because you can't trust them not to suck out your soul and then mount the husk of your empty carcass for a taxidermy display. That and they smell bad. But I'd still rather have one of them than a Monk, with their smug serenity and centered self-ness...

Bluegirl_Two
01-26-2015, 06:18 AM
To be honest, the class that's normally the most desired is Cleric.

Play a favored soul. It is a cleric but it isn't. You then have the ability to serve as a healer when called upon but the flexibility to serve as a main-line damage dealer when it isn't needed.

I also recommend bard -- either pure or with 2 rogue splash. It is one of the more recent flavors of the moment and pretty strong through all content. Not a lot of people looking specifically for a bard but not a lot of groups that will turn you down either. Like favored soul you can be built with the ability to serve as a healer if needed but will be a top damage build as well -- so seldom are expected to heal.

Wizard and sorcerer are always popular. Learn to use the spell-like abilities. Bladeforged or warforged gets you self-healing -- or you could go Pale Master on a wizard. A forged wizard Archmage using the SLAs is extremely strong.

Eclaveriia
01-26-2015, 06:51 AM
I don't recommend playing a cleric first life. I also don't recommend bard first life as bard can range from fantastic to the worst ever depending on your build.

I would say Paladin would be the best bet for your first life. The 5% healing amplification you get from it would be good for any future life you choose to work up. I think a Knight of the challace/Sacred defender 2 handed fighting build would work best for a new player.

Paladins work well both solo and in a group.

I would play either a fighter or paladin first then expand from their. As a new player you need to be a bit selfish. By that I mean you need to play whatever would help you the most. You might not always be able to find groups at your level and need to be able to solo some stuff.

That being said, if you truly want to play a caster I think a palemaster wizard a warforged wizard is a good first choice. Wizards are more forgiving of mistakes than sorcerers due to their ability to learn any number of spells in their spellbook. You also have self healing via repair spells( Warforged) or Death Aura's (Palemaster). Wizard past life offers a lot to any caster and would make the most sense for a caster.

Eclaveriia
01-26-2015, 06:58 AM
Also, I would recommend rolling atleast 2 characters. One to keep at higher level for farming loot and 1 to work on lives with.

I recommend against a favored soul as a first life. It tends to get Boggy at times.

I think a paladin or a warforged wizard would be easiest to learn with.

mna
01-26-2015, 07:05 AM
Also, I would recommend rolling atleast 2 characters. One to keep at higher level for farming loot and 1 to work on lives with.

... on that note... for the patient person, I'd recommend rolling at least 8 characters, at least somewhat different but including both caster and melee types. One on each server, farm for favor (unlock drow if you think you'll want to play one) and see what playing style works best for YOU, as that is very much a question of personal preferences. Also see what server's player community suits you best.