PDA

View Full Version : Equipment Expectations?

PyrosianFelicity
10-25-2009, 06:48 PM
Hey guys,
I was hoping that you could help me out with some advice on where I should be, equipment-wise.

I'm a Human Str-based Ranger, level 8, and have finally come into a little money (19k plat! I'm RICH!) that I can use to upgrade my equipment, both from vendors and the Auction House.

Here's my current gear: (note: I currently have 16 Dex)

+1 Darkleaf Breastplate

Wise Mask of Haggling, +1 Wis, +3 Haggle

Protector's Brooch and Gloves, from Korthos. A little set bonus for some AC.

Goggles of Insight, for +1 to ab

Fragment of the Silver Flame, for a Protection From Evil effect on me

Feather Cloak, 1/day Featherfall

Black Wolfskin Belt, +3 Con

Dexterous Ring of Elvenkind, +1 Dex and +3 Hide or MS

Ring of Elvenkind, +3 Hide or MS, I can't recall which. One ring does one, one ring does the other

Striding Boots, +5% run speed

Armored Bracer's of Bull's Strength, for a 1/day clickie and +2 AC

Dual-Wielding +5 Warhammers. These are a recent upgrade, purchased from the Auction House. I'm really liking the damage and crits, plus I've been fighting loads of Skeletons, so I wanted some dual-wielding blunt weapons.

Dual-Wielding a +1 Shock Longsword and a +1 Flaming Light Pick. These are what I used all the time before the Warhammers, and I still carry them in case I find something the elemental damage will help against.

+3 Densewood Greatclub. Useful for Slimes and Rust Monsters.

+1 Acid Shortbow of Maiming. I'm a Ranger, so a bow is great for my Manyshot, and I like the Acid Damage Bonus.

Other notes: I have somewhere in the mid 20's AC, I don't recall specifically.

So, where would it be good to improve on, for a level 8 Ranger who is limited in funds? What's appropriate for a character of this level to have?

Thanks guys!

Bronko
10-25-2009, 10:15 PM
Your post is kind of long but I'll give you the best two cents I can. Please keep in mind that any advice I, or anyone else, gives on gear/weapons is highly dependent on the build. Since you haven't included any specific information on your stat breakdown or how you plan to pay this character this is the best advice I can give:

Since equipment slots are limited you should ensure that any stat-boosting items you are wearing should only be for stats you need. For example, it is a pretty low priority to wear an item with a wisdom bonus on a Fighter although it might be a priority for a Paladin. In your case as a strength-based Ranger I would ensure that you are wearing items to enhance you strength, constitution, dexterity, and wisdom (in that order of priority). I would also wear the best hit-point boosting item you can for you level. In your case that is a False Life item as they are minimum level 7. Fortification items (in your case Moderate Fort) is also a priority as critical hits start to really be a factor at your level.

If you do equip a stat-boosting item you should try to make it the highest one you can wear for your level. That means avoiding items that have less useful "extras" such as a skill bonus. That +1 Dex ring of Elvenkind is not an item I would be worried about when you could instead be wearing a +3 Dex ring. Basically anything that gives you a bonus for your combat effectiveness should be equipped all the time while skill-boosters like haggle only need to hot-barred and put on when needed.

The armor bracers and not doing anything to boost your armor class since you are already wearing armor. Armor bonuses from items (such as your bracers) do not stack with worn armor and only the highest applies. That would free up a slot for something useful you can wear statically.

Speaking of armor, you should be wearing the highest bonus armor you can for your level. At level 8 that means +5 armor. In the case of a Ranger you will definitely want to wear light armor to in order to keep your class bonuses such as Evasion. You will also want to match up your dexterity bonus to the max dex bonus for your armor. Since I don't know what your dex is I can't make a specific suggestion as to what kind of armor you need, but it will likely be a darkleaf/mithral breastplate or perhaps a chainshirt.

As for weapons you have the right idea about giving yourself different weapon sets for different foes. Aside from matching the damage type to the foe, I firmly believe at your level that a basic +5 weapon will out perform most other weapons with elemental damage bonuses. As you go up in levels and are able to equip more powerful weapons you can, but for now a +5 is what you should be aiming for. You can also check out the weapon comparison tool (http://perfectweb.org/ddo/weaponCompare1_1dbg.zip) to see what will give you the most damage/second. Oh, and for slimes I would go for a blunt Everbright weapon. A pair of those on a Ranger works well. For rust monsters you can do the same but a good bow is probably better since there will be less chance you experience damage on your armor and the rest of your gear.

Happy hunting and good looting,
- B.

78mackson
10-25-2009, 10:29 PM
Forget about stat-items. try to get house P favour til 75 then buy the stat-buffs you need and pray that you dont die :D). You can also carry cheap pots... since your a ranger you should self-resist yourself.
buy weapons with high enchantment(+5 is better then +1holy for instance, unless your doing mobs that requires sucha weapon ofc..). Get Power attack(PA) feated..

a shame u didnt pick up the anger-set. +2tohit is really sweet.

pick up collectables.. many of the collectables(lightning splitsoarwood, lumincent dust, silver flame hymnal) in the lower levels are worth a bunch to the powergamers with waaay too much money.. use AH(auction house) to contact em ---:D

DasLurch
10-26-2009, 01:41 AM
From your post, it seems that you are trying to do a little bit of everything. My advice will hinge on what feat you are planning on taking at level 9. It is a big level because that is the 1st time a pure ranger can select an "Improved Critical" feat. This is one of the most powerful feats in the game. (If you are planning on using slashing weapons, you'd take imp crit slash, etc...) My advice is to try to focus your melee weaps on slashers since you have gone the str based route. Scimitars will help out your Ability to crit alot if you take imp crit slash. Add on a bursting scimmy, and now you are doing even more damage. You can then carry a kukri or hand axe in the off hand, or another scimmy if you have no problems landing your attacks. That seems like the optimal weapon for you the way that I read your build.

As far as equipment goes, I can see that you have been into the Tangleroot gorge area at least once. There are 2 other nice end rewards there for you. There is a set of +3 Str gloves, and a set of +3 Dex bracers that have a chance when you finish the entire chain. Those +3 stat items are better than most of what you are wearing. As far as your hat, anything will work there, so having one with a wis bonus will help. Throw on a resistance cloak to help all your saves. You will probably find a cheap one availible at level 9 with at least a +2 bonus. Remeber that having your Stats at even numbers maximizes the bonus you get from them. A 17 str is the same as a 16 for most of the game's purposes. It will be unavoidable at times, but it is something to keep in mind when looking ahead. Wisdom will be alittle different for you though. You will need at least a 13 wisdom (combined through items and Stat points to cast level 3 ranger spells.) from the looks of things. 14 eventually. So just keep pluging along there and you ought to be ok.

At level 9 for rangers, you will get the class granted feat "Evasion". This means to benefit from this you must be wearing Light armor or no armor. Darkleaf BP I think is considered light, but you'd be better off in a Mithral BP or Mithral Chain shirt optimally. Also the armor bonus for armor bracers doesn't stack with the bonus you get for wearing any armor. Something to keep in mind.

And to finish thi very long post (sorry :) ), you will see a vast uptic in the amount of money that you make while adventuring around level 8-9. It will really take off once you hit level 12. So don't be too scared to blow through some of that nice little nest egg ya got going. It becomes easier to replace sooner than you'd think. Good luck and good loots!!!

PyrosianFelicity
10-26-2009, 09:18 PM
The armor bracers and not doing anything to boost your armor class since you are already wearing armor. Armor bonuses from items (such as your bracers) do not stack with worn armor and only the highest applies. That would free up a slot for something useful you can wear statically.

Gotcha, thanks. That was still a natural tendency leftover from NWN2 where Bracers of Armor +1 would stack with Fullplate, but not stack with the +1 bonus on, say, a Fullplate +1. I've got it now, bracers count as an Armor Bonus, not an Armor Enhancement Bonus.

Speaking of armor, you should be wearing the highest bonus armor you can for your level. At level 8 that means +5 armor. In the case of a Ranger you will definitely want to wear light armor to in order to keep your class bonuses such as Evasion. You will also want to match up your dexterity bonus to the max dex bonus for your armor. Since I don't know what your dex is I can't make a specific suggestion as to what kind of armor you need, but it will likely be a darkleaf/mithral breastplate or perhaps a chainshirt.

All the Mithral stuff was really expensive, and so was the higher-end Darkleaf gear. I ended up purchasing a +5 Chain Shirt at a bargain price, which is still a nice improvement from my +1 Darkleaf Breastplate.
Also: I now have 18 Modified Dex.

As for weapons you have the right idea about giving yourself different weapon sets for different foes. Aside from matching the damage type to the foe, I firmly believe at your level that a basic +5 weapon will out perform most other weapons with elemental damage bonuses. As you go up in levels and are able to equip more powerful weapons you can, but for now a +5 is what you should be aiming for. You can also check out the weapon comparison tool (http://perfectweb.org/ddo/weaponCompare1_1dbg.zip) to see what will give you the most damage/second. Oh, and for slimes I would go for a blunt Everbright weapon. A pair of those on a Ranger works well. For rust monsters you can do the same but a good bow is probably better since there will be less chance you experience damage on your armor and the rest of your gear.

Unfortunately, my cash ran out before I could purchase any Everbright weapons (Those Ogre Power Bracers are *expensive!*). Looks like I'm sticking with a club for slimes now, but I'll definitely switch to arrows for Rust Monsters, I hadn't considered that before, but I found it works really well with their fairly-low hp.

pick up collectables.. many of the collectables(lightning splitsoarwood, lumincent dust, silver flame hymnal) in the lower levels are worth a bunch to the powergamers with waaay too much money.. use AH(auction house) to contact em ---:D

That's how I got most of my current cash, actually :D
I sold a big pile of Pure Waters that I'd been saving from lower levels. Since then, I've been keeping an eye out for various valuable collectables.

From your post, it seems that you are trying to do a little bit of everything. My advice will hinge on what feat you are planning on taking at level 9. It is a big level because that is the 1st time a pure ranger can select an "Improved Critical" feat. This is one of the most powerful feats in the game. (If you are planning on using slashing weapons, you'd take imp crit slash, etc...) My advice is to try to focus your melee weaps on slashers since you have gone the str based route. Scimitars will help out your Ability to crit alot if you take imp crit slash. Add on a bursting scimmy, and now you are doing even more damage. You can then carry a kukri or hand axe in the off hand, or another scimmy if you have no problems landing your attacks. That seems like the optimal weapon for you the way that I read your build.

I checked out the Bursting Scimitars on the AH, but the only ones I could afford were low-enhancement ones, +1 and +2 or so, especially after I upgraded some of my ability items.
I was planning on taking Oversized Two-Weapon Fighting at level 9 for +2 ab, and grapping Imp Crit at level 12. I figure that by 12 I'll have enough cash to buy a pair of those Bursting Scimitars, which will be good until I get Khopesh Proficiency at 15.

Until then, I'm really liking these +5 Warhammers. Not only can I drop skeletons in just a few blows, but the X3 Crit Multiplier is absolutely sweet. With a +6 Str bonus, I'm doing 15-20 damage per hit (sounds about right, with 1d8 + 6 Str Bonus + 5 Enhancement + whatever Ram's Might adds) and 40-50 crits.
It was pretty darned cool when I got my first Warhammer crit and one-shotted a Troll. :D

As far as equipment goes, I can see that you have been into the Tangleroot gorge area at least once. There are 2 other nice end rewards there for you. There is a set of +3 Str gloves, and a set of +3 Dex bracers that have a chance when you finish the entire chain. Those +3 stat items are better than most of what you are wearing.

Due mostly to my lack of willingness to run Tangleroot again after playing through it 4-5 times already, I just decided to pony up the cash and buy a +2 Dex Ring (bringing me to 18 Dex) and some +3 Str bracers.

Throw on a resistance cloak to help all your saves. You will probably find a cheap one availible at level 9 with at least a +2 bonus.

Took your advice and got a +2 Cloak of Resistance.

And to finish thi very long post (sorry :) ), you will see a vast uptic in the amount of money that you make while adventuring around level 8-9. It will really take off once you hit level 12. So don't be too scared to blow through some of that nice little nest egg ya got going. It becomes easier to replace sooner than you'd think. Good luck and good loots!!!

This was definitely good to hear, I took this advice to heart and spent pretty much all of it. :)

In conclusion, I took most of your advice, guys, and bought four shiny new items.
+2 Cloak of Resistance
+5 Chain Shirt
+3 Bracers of Ogre Strength (These were *expensive!* Brought me up to 22 Str though.)
+2 Ring of Dexterity (decided a +3 wasn't worth it for 19 instead of 18 Dex)

Thanks for all the help, guys!