PDA

View Full Version : Ranger wearing heavy armor

Bladedwizard
10-25-2009, 02:37 PM
Hi folks,

I checked the forum but couldn't find anything about my question.

If you build a Ranger with hig Str instead of high Dex will he be viable? Ranger rely on their high Dex to survive but if you wear heavy amor (taking a couple level of Ftr) would it help.

I was planning to create something like:
12 Ranger/8 Fighter Human or Elf

STR 18
Dex 12
Con 14
Int 8
Wiz 12
Cha 8

Can a ranger in heavy armor feasible? Or should I keep the light armor with more Dex?

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

ddoplayer064
10-25-2009, 02:46 PM
I'm going to revel in my noobosity here, but i would suggest going fighter2/ranger18, and bumping your dex to 13 for dodge. You'll definitely be better off ac-wise wearing plate in the lower levels, but at high levels, the dex build will have more. I made a similar character on Cannith, and it was by far the strongest for the first 4 or 5 levels. I took the fighter levels first for the feats and armor, then started on the ranger. not having duel wield until 4th kinda sucked but it was nice having all the feats needed for tempest out of the way by the time you hit 6th (2 fighter/ 4 ranger).

Angelus_dead
10-25-2009, 02:48 PM
Ranger rely on their high Dex to survive but if you wear heavy amor (taking a couple level of Ftr) would it help.
Actually, Rangers don't generally rely on Dexterity to survive. They often don't rely on AC at all.

To wear heavy armor would greatly reduce the survivability of a Ranger, as it turns off his Evasion feature.