PDA

View Full Version : Favor questions

DANTEIL
10-25-2009, 10:48 AM
I know I've read this information before, but now that I'm searching for it in the forums and the compendium I can't find it, and this is the kind of thing that you only pay close attention to when it starts to matter. :)

I've become confused about favor and how it works between/across characters and servers, and how the various rewards accumulate. I'm asking now because I've started to have multiple characters that are across different servers, and it's not clear what totals I should be caring about..

I think I understand that Patron Rewards are per-character. (e.g., you have to have 75 favor from a patron for that character to receive a reward. This does not accumulate across characters.)

What about Drow Unlocking at 400? Is that per character, per server, or per account?

What about 32-pt build Unlocking at 1750? Is that per character, per server, or per account?

If any of those relevant totals are *not* per character (and having either one of those be per-character wouldn't really make sense since both of those rewards only apply to new characters, right?), then how do you check your totals? Obviously, I can make notes with pencil and paper, but is there an in-game mechanic to let me know what my total is across more than one character/server?

Or am I missing some fundamental understanding altogether?

Visty
10-25-2009, 10:49 AM
everything you unlock via favor is for that char only

the exception beeing what you unlock via total favor (drow, veteran, fav soul, 32pt). those are for your server then

DANTEIL
10-25-2009, 12:01 PM
everything you unlock via favor is for that char only

the exception beeing what you unlock via total favor (drow, veteran, fav soul, 32pt). those are for your server then

No offense but it's still kind of confusing when this is described as "everything" and also "the exception being...." because then it's not clear what "everything" is supposed to refer to. :)

So if I can try to puzzle this out:

by "everything" you just mean the regular Favor Rewards from each patron. Those are all per character.

Otherwise, the other favor rewards are per server: This includes Drow & 32pt build (and Veteran and FavSoul -- thanks, I forgot about those).

Is there anything favor-relevant that's per account?

So, if I log onto a character that exists on a server where I have multiple characters, does that "Total Favor" bar at the bottom show the accumulated total for all those characters on that server? Because that's hasn't been my impression so far -- maybe I just don't have enough favor yet, but it has always seemed to me that it is just showing the total favor for that character.

This is the problem with asking questions on the forum outside of the game -- some of these questions could be cleared up by investigating within the game, but when I'm logged on to the game I'm doing other stuff and forget to check. :)

Junts
10-25-2009, 12:08 PM
faction favor rewards are per character: every char has to get 75 and 150 favor for extra backpack space, etc

Total favor rewards are per server: first time you get 400, 1750 and 2500 you unlock drow, 32 pointers and favored soul for that server.

each characer hitting 1750 will get a +2 tome of its choice.

Turbine point rewards are both per character and per server:

every 100 favor on every character is 25 turbine points

the first time per server you hit the 5, 25, 50, 100, 200, 500, 1000, 2000 and 3000 favor marks, you will get a bonus tp reward.

DANTEIL
10-25-2009, 12:19 PM
Wow so this is more complicated than I thought:

faction favor rewards are per character: every char has to get 75 and 150 favor for extra backpack space, etc

That I understand.. yay!

Total favor rewards are per server: first time you get 400, 1750 and 2500 you unlock drow, 32 pointers and favored soul for that server.

Okay this I now understand: for these special classes, etc., the favor rewards are per server.

each characer hitting 1750 will get a +2 tome of its choice.

This I didn't know! So there is *also* a super-sized favor reward that is per-character? Oookay.

Turbine point rewards are both per character and per server:

every 100 favor on every character is 25 turbine points

the first time per server you hit the 5, 25, 50, 100, 200, 500, 1000, 2000 and 3000 favor marks, you will get a bonus tp reward.

Okay, this I kinda knew but haven't bothered to keep track of since I know that I'll get mail in my box telling me when I've received new TP from favor. But again we have a case where the same type reward is both per-server and per-character. Sigh.

So, one question still remains for me: What is the Total Favor bar showing in the Patrons tab? Is that total favor per character or total favor per server?

{btw, this information is not very clearly explained in either the compendium or the ddowiki that I could find. those sources just explain how much faction favor unlocks which rewards, but now how favor is distributed across characters/servers}

Junts
10-25-2009, 01:28 PM
per character, there is no total favor per server and it doesnt matter .. things may be unlocked on a per-server basis (eg, first char to 500 favor on the server has unlocked drow at 400 and gets x bonus tp for hitting 500), but it is not getting 500 by using the sum of two characters .. it is always only your highest favor individual character that counts for favor and favor totals

the rewards can be server wide (or you could say, with tp, account wide, since all tp are universal to your account), but the favor must be accumulated on a single character only, always.

That isnt well explained because people assume its understood .. favor rewards must be earned with a single character.

your first character to 1750 favor will get a +2 tome -and- unlock 32 point builds on your server. Your next character to 1750 will get a +2 tome.

Having two characters with 875 favor will get you nothing particularly special.

DANTEIL
10-25-2009, 01:59 PM
per character, there is no total favor per server and it doesnt matter .. things may be unlocked on a per-server basis (eg, first char to 500 favor on the server has unlocked drow at 400 and gets x bonus tp for hitting 500), but it is not getting 500 by using the sum of two characters .. it is always only your highest favor individual character that counts for favor and favor totals

the rewards can be server wide (or you could say, with tp, account wide, since all tp are universal to your account), but the favor must be accumulated on a single character only, always.

Wow, and it gets even more confusing! So even though the Drow, etc. rewards are described as being "per server" rewards, that is actually referring to the *unlocking* not the favor *accumulating.* Sheesh. But thanks for the explanation!

That isnt well explained because people assume its understood .. favor rewards must be earned with a single character.

But this *is* confusing, right? I don't think I'm being particularly dense -- it would be good for this to be described better for new players, so that they (like me) don't think that it's a good goal to bump up favor across different characters if they want these rewards when really it would be better to focus on one character only...

Brennie
10-25-2009, 03:47 PM
But this *is* confusing, right? I don't think I'm being particularly dense -- it would be good for this to be described better for new players, so that they (like me) don't think that it's a good goal to bump up favor across different characters if they want these rewards when really it would be better to focus on one character only...

Its not immediatly intuitive to everyone that plays, but its usually not as complicated as it seems to be becoming on this forum.

Favor represents how well known and well liked your character. Its his "fame". Multiple different character have no effect on each others "Fame", any more than they have an effect on each others levels and experience.

If the game said you need 12 levels to unlock Gianthold (You don't, BTW, I'm just making an example), most players wouldn't assume that a half dozen level 2 characters would cut the mustard. Likewise, most players recognize that favor rewards are not divided between multiple characters, and that unlocks require one character to build up favor (As indicated by the "Total favor" bar showing you how much more favor a character needs til the next big unlock, in a fashion very similar to how the XP bar shows you how long until you rank up).

As for being described "better", I would think "at all" might be sufficient. There are many aspects of this game that simply have no in-game set up or reference, and if my memory serves me, favor is one of them. Dragonshards and the stone of change is another, what Paths do is yet another... there was another thread around here that had a whole list...

DANTEIL
10-25-2009, 04:04 PM
Favor represents how well known and well liked your character. Its his "fame". Multiple different character have no effect on each others "Fame", any more than they have an effect on each others levels and experience.

Sure, I agree that is an intuitive way to think about this with regard to the Faction Favor -- the better known an individual character is to certain factions, the more likely they are to reward you. That makes sense.

But where this logic breaks down (for me, at least) is for the other rewards (Drow, etc.), which are more like meta-rewards that will actually only affect a completely *new* character; i.e., different from the character who actually earned the reward!! So the idea of "fame" doesn't really work in that instance. I think that's why I assumed the favor accumulation had to be at least server-based, especially since the 'unlocking' is server-based.

Likewise, most players recognize that favor rewards are not divided between multiple characters, and that unlocks require one character to build up favor (As indicated by the "Total favor" bar showing you how much more favor a character needs til the next big unlock, in a fashion very similar to how the XP bar shows you how long until you rank up).

I'm not sure I like the implication behind the phrase "most players" because it sounds too much to my ears like "most intelligent players" :) but given how difficult I am finding this, I guess I concede the point lol.

And yes, a better (or any) explanation of dragonshards would be good too!

Brennie
10-25-2009, 05:59 PM
I'm not sure I like the implication behind the phrase "most players" because it sounds too much to my ears like "most intelligent players" :) but given how difficult I am finding this, I guess I concede the point lol.

And yes, a better (or any) explanation of dragonshards would be good too!

I didn't mean to imply any lack of intelligence. If anything, its overthinking thats got you all skewed :P

By "most players", I just meant that in my own particular "handing out advice to new players over the course of several weeks" unscientific sampling, most seemed to automatically assume that favor totals were on a per character basis. I assume that most of this comes from previous gaming experience, where Reputation is always per-character, and various "if you get X, then you unlock Y" is usually only attributed to a single character's acheivements.

But then again, I've had people ask the most inanely stupid questions >_> And actually spent 5 minutes trying to convince a veteran player who was level 1 ranger that taking the Two-Weapon-Fighting feat at level 1 was a waste of a feat...

Also, where the completely unintuitive comes in is when i spend 3-5 minutes trying to explain how gaining favor from quests works (only once per difficulty, and higher difficulties also count as lower difficulties, but only if you haven't already gotten the favor for the lower difficulties, and except normal, which shares its favor with solo, so solo also counts as normal, despite the fact its easier than normal, and... *sigh*)

anynamewilldo
10-25-2009, 09:38 PM
Let's say I delete a toon. Do I lose the store points earned by that toon or not.

DANTEIL
10-26-2009, 12:44 AM
Let's say I delete a toon. Do I lose the store points earned by that toon or not.

Turbine Points? My understanding is no, you never lose those until you spend them.

Someone else will have to answer what happens if you delete the toon that you used to unlock high favor rewards... but my guess is that stuff stays unlocked.

DasLurch
10-26-2009, 01:18 AM
Turbine Points? My understanding is no, you never lose those until you spend them.

Someone else will have to answer what happens if you delete the toon that you used to unlock high favor rewards... but my guess is that stuff stays unlocked.

Once you reach 1750, you can delete that character if you wish and you will be able to make 32 point builds from then on on that server only. You will lose the Drow ability though. You will need to keep a char with 400 total favor to continue creating characters with the drow race availible. No idea about the 2500 for FVS tho. I got bored and bought it.