PDA

View Full Version : Rogue Item Advice

generalzahg
10-24-2009, 11:25 PM
Alright, this is pretty specific and in the long run, won't matter, but I wanted to get some suggestions on which was better, the Nimble Gloves set or the Troubleshooters Goggles set? You can only get one, otherwise I'd just get both and switch out when needed.

Going off this advice, should I always go with the set that boosts my sneak attack abilities or the trapsmithing abilities? It's probably a matter of preference, but I'd just like to see the opinions out there. I wish I could go on the actual rogue forums, but as of yet I don't have enough money to throw into a game every month.

Anyhow, that is all.

Brennie
10-24-2009, 11:39 PM
Nimble hand, hands down (no pun intended).

Also, rerun Sacrifices for the troubleshooter goggles, as these are pretty nice for a few levels. Wear goggles of Insight during battle, and swap Troubleshooter goggles on to scout for traps. Putting both on one of your Hotbars is recommended.

You won't encounter many (or any o_O?) items that boost your sneak attack damage, which is why Nimble Hand is so good. You will, however, encounter plenty of different items to boost Search, Spot, Disable, and Open Lock. You will definatly want the best Disable and Search item for your level you can get your hands on (Spot too, if you don't already know where the traps are in a quest). Be on the lookout for Disable +3 item once you get to the Harbor, put it on your hotbar, and swap that in right before disabling a trap.

generalzahg
10-24-2009, 11:48 PM
That sounds like pretty solid advice, thanks.

I've read a lot about keeping your skill boost item bonuses to about your level, but haven't seen much about combat boosting items (specifically sneak attacking) and I was afraid to delve too deeply into the trap disabling aspect of rogues and give up valuable DPS ability. I prefer the agile assassin route over the dedicated trapsmith, but I need to make sure I'm not totally useless in doing what rogues do best.

Brennie
10-25-2009, 12:02 AM
Well the great thing about Rogue Skill gear, is you don't need to wear it 99% of the time. You can just have it on your hotbar, and switch to it when you need it, leaving those spots open for +strength, +dex, +con, false life, fortification, and other goodies.

xlapus
10-25-2009, 12:56 AM
I was going to make a new thread, but since this one has the perfect title already...

Would it be better to go for a +5 Rapier and +5 Shortsword, +1 Wounding Shortsword of Deception and +5 Shortsword, or +5 Shortsword and +5 Shortsword

Brennie
10-25-2009, 01:03 AM
I was going to make a new thread, but since this one has the perfect title already...

Would it be better to go for a +5 Rapier and +5 Shortsword, +1 Wounding Shortsword and +5 Shortsword, or +5 Shortsword and +5 Shortsword

What race, feats, stats, and enhancements do you have?

+5 rapier and +5 shortsword beats out the dual +5s shortswords, and wounding is situational. Typically, Damage enahncements are more useful than straight +'s, so a +2 shocking of pure good rapier and a +1 Holy of Maiming shortsword will win out over +5's.

And honestly, most players will have several sets of weapons for different purposes. Ghosttouch for incorporeals, Bane weapons, stat damagers, transmuting or different metal types... etc etc. No need to limit yourself to just one set!

xlapus
10-25-2009, 01:10 AM
Yeah, more info would be better.

6 rogue/2 fighter

I do have several sets of weapons (dual maces for skellies, ghost touch swords, muckbanes, etc).

I have the drow enhancements for rapier/shortsword attack, weapon finesse, weapon focus piercing, and up to ITWF so far (level 8).

The Deception is what I'm liking most about the shortsword, the wounding is a bonus really.

16/22/14/16/8/12 for stats after items.