PDA

View Full Version : Needs advice on what skill will suit my new bard

Eiraus
10-24-2009, 08:17 AM
Well, I'm trying to make a new bard based on this build http://forums.ddo.com/showpost.php?p=1718363&postcount=9 and I'm not sure on what skills to take. What are must skills for a bard?

Also, I noticed too that spells weren't included in the build, does it mean that a bard can change spells too like a wiz? My only character is a level 8 wiz and I really have no idea about the other classes.

Arianrhod
10-24-2009, 08:28 AM
Must have skills for a bard:

Perform - without this, you cannot use your songs. Keep it maxed
Use Magic Device - Charisma-based skill that lets you use wands, scrolls, and race-restricted items not otherwise available to your race/class. Keep it maxed
Haggle - Charisma-based skill that makes you rich, so you can afford all those wands & scrolls. Keep it maxed unless you have something else you need the points for

Bards cannot change spells like a wizard, they're spontaneous casters like sorcerors (without the casting speed increase). The build you linked has a (relatively) high casting stat and spell focus: enchantment, so you'll want crowd control spells like Otto's Resistable Dance, Hold Monster, and Otto's Sphere of Dancing. Since none of those are first level spells, start with Cure Light Wounds. You can swap out a spell every 3 days (again, like a sorceror), so if you later decide you don't want it (like after you get Cure Moderate or Cure Serious), you can change it to something else.

Eiraus
10-24-2009, 09:01 AM
I see. I'm in the process of making it and Otto's Resistible Dance is listed as level 1. Should I take that instead of cure light wounds?

How about weapons? Do bards use wands as weapon too?

Lorien_the_First_One
10-24-2009, 09:05 AM
I see. I'm in the process of making it and Otto's Resistible Dance is listed as level 1. Should I take that instead of cure light wounds?

How about weapons? Do bards use wands as weapon too?

In general wands are near useless as weapons for any class, they just aren't powerful enough to bother with. Bards have a fair number of weapons they can use (check your proficiencies) and can cast Master Touch on themselves (L1 spell) to use any simple or martial weapon.

rawzon3
10-24-2009, 09:48 AM
I would add Concentration to the bards must have skill list, unless you plan on fitting quicken in somehow.

Arianrhod
10-24-2009, 12:46 PM
Oops, forgot Otto's was level 1 for bards. Well, you could take Otto's instead of CLW, but then you'd have no way of curing yourself till you get to level 2 and can take another spell. Might be better to start with CLW and take Otto's as your second spell; it doesn't work on everything, and the Ember rapier you get for finishing the very first quest will be more usful in some quests anyway ;)