10-24-2009, 07:54 AM
I started my Bar with
8 Str
14 Dex
12 Con
10 Int
8 Wis
18 Cha

My question is, will this gimp me in the future? I'm using weapon finesse just for soloing, but I'm mainly going to use spells

Arianrhod
10-24-2009, 08:37 AM
Soloing with a caster bard is tough, as they don't really get any spells to kill stuff with. Closest they can come, really, is to charm something and have it kill stuff. Once you get to a level where you're grouping more often, you'll probably swap out that weapon finesse for something more "spellcastery".

As for the stats - looks like a strong caster. Just don't try to melee a lot :) I'd probably swap the INT & WIS, since bards get plenty of skill points and don't have a lot of use for INT, whereas everyone can use a better Will save (and a little more Spot). Unless of course, this is a drow (sorry, didn't count how the points add up) - in that case, you can't go below 10 INT anyway ;)

Lorien_the_First_One
10-24-2009, 09:11 AM
Soloing with a caster bard is tough, as they don't really get any spells to kill stuff with. Closest they can come, really, is to charm something and have it kill stuff. Once you get to a level where you're grouping more often, you'll probably swap out that weapon finesse for something more "spellcastery".

As for the stats - looks like a strong caster. Just don't try to melee a lot :) I'd probably swap the INT & WIS, since bards get plenty of skill points and don't have a lot of use for INT, whereas everyone can use a better Will save (and a little more Spot). Unless of course, this is a drow (sorry, didn't count how the points add up) - in that case, you can't go below 10 INT anyway ;)

I disagree with this. You are better off leaving wis at 8 and taking force of personality to take advantage of your high int.

I personally wouldn't go with a finesse build on a bard. If they will melee at all (and most bards SHOULD melee at least sometimes) they are best strength based, just swap your str and dex. Then you can dump finesse too. You aren't 'gimp' as you are, but you are suboptimal.