PDA

View Full Version : Ranged character...

Shoobinator
10-23-2009, 08:43 PM
9 ranger, 11 rogue or
11 ranger, 9 rogue.

Should note:
Character is a halfling with <10 str and I'm not willing to reroll.
Also uses repeaters.

BoBoDaClown
10-23-2009, 08:54 PM
Why 9/11?

I would have thought 12/6 (and 2 additional anywhere) would be a better split. Say, giving you deadwood sniper 2 if it ever comes out.

Back to your original, I would probably go for the Ranger being higher level - giving you GTWF at 11, plus precise shot and impr precise shot (which is a must for your build).

Shoobinator
10-23-2009, 09:34 PM
My plan was to maximize damage from sneak attack ( as 6 would be a waste of a level with sneak attack ) and wihle 12 would be a jump for arcane archer, I don't believe there's enough justification to forgo another 1d6 damage ( or 2d6 if I hit rogue 6 instead of rogue 9 )

Also, while GTWF is considered godly, consider I have low strength.

DasLurch
10-23-2009, 09:35 PM
11 ranger will give you some nice benefits, but 10 rogue gets ya one of the better feats in the game (imp evasion). If you are planning on staying more or less ranged, you will probably be better off taking 11 ranger at least tho. The buffs for your spells, and the class granted feats will end up being more useful to you.

Brennie
10-24-2009, 03:48 AM
My plan was to maximize damage from sneak attack ( as 6 would be a waste of a level with sneak attack ) and wihle 12 would be a jump for arcane archer, I don't believe there's enough justification to forgo another 1d6 damage ( or 2d6 if I hit rogue 6 instead of rogue 9 )

Also, while GTWF is considered godly, consider I have low strength.

Weapon finesse for to-hit, and Sneak Attack for damage. Problem solved (Well, until you run into undead, oozes, constructs, and uh... yeah nevermind >_>)

Also, anything past the first tier of Arcane Archer is useless to a repeater build. +1d6 force damage to all ranged weapons is nice, but making magic arrows is... well...useless to a crossbow user ^_^

Precise shot and Imp precise shot are going to be very handy for you. On the other hand, bow strength and manyshot will be completely useless to you. If you can fit the feats in elsewhere, then you shouldn't need more than 2 ranger (if any), which will allow you to get some really nice rogue abilities (Improve evasion, crippling strike), and possibly allow you to wedge in Assassin for multi-flying-bolts-of-vorpal-and-poison. Plus, more sneak attack!

sephiroth1084
10-24-2009, 03:56 AM
Keep in mind that you have to be pretty close to your target to get sneak attack on your ranged attack--about the same as the radius of a haste spell (distnce from caster to point on rim of the spell).