PDA

View Full Version : The Long List of DDO Annoyances

cipher_nemo4
10-22-2009, 03:42 PM
First, I'd like to state that I love playing DDO. It has even taken over my LOTRO time, although I'm still a LOTRO subscriber and looking forward to Mirkwood. I'm not sure if DDO appeals to me because it's just the chance to experience new content, but one thing I do know: I love exploring dungeons with traps, secret areas, and sometimes challenging fights. I really miss the challenge and excitement of a good dungeon crawl since you don't seem to get that anymore in MMORPGs these days. So, in short, I'm very happy with Eberron.

EDIT: This thread has taken on a nice bit of community flavor since I originally made this list. I want to thank you all for the great reception so far! As a result, it is taking a much less personal and more community-focused direction (which is great!). I hope that it will help bring us together as a subscriber base to share the annoyances, awkward oddities, or bugs that we would like to see addressed in future patches, updates, etc. I know that some of these items will by important for some and trivial for others. For the truly debatable items where we can't reach a "Rough Consensus (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consensus_decision-making)", I've moved them into their own list below the generally agreed upon annoyances. I'm flexible and willing to weed out the truly debatable ones.

Some personal background...

I tested the waters with DDO after Turbine decided to make it Free2Play in September 2009. It has been a lot of fun, and I joined DDO with friends who are waiting for Star Trek Online. I have also been a LOTRO subscriber for almost two years now (missed being a founder by 1 month). Although I don't have the extensive experience with DDO as many long-time subscribers here do, I have a lot of experience with LOTRO's client as a good comparison of different clients from the same developer. I've beta tested, stress tested, and have played from beginning to end-game in LOTRO.

Unfortunately, it seems like when something gets implemented or patched in one game, it doesn't get updated in the other. It seems DDO and LOTRO started out with similar clients, then diverged at some point (possibly release). It feels as if the DDO and LOTRO development teams don't communicate and don't share fixes or updates for each others' clients. That is a shame, and it's about time we get the fixes and features of both synchronized. And I'm not talking about turning DDO into LOTRO or vice versa. This is about fixes, bugs, and things that could be working better. I still hope DDO will remain unique as it's one of the main factors that really appeals to me. :)

With that said, there are still many, many things that continue to frustrate and annoy me with a client that is supposed to be polished by now (over 3 years old, coming up on 4 years in 02/2010). And Turbine's bug reporting system is cumbersome for reporting a series of many, many bugs, oversights, and annoyances. Some of my complaints wouldn't even be classified as a bug, but rather classified as something that is implemented poorly in my opinion. And I know some of this might have been repeated in other threads, so please let me apologize in advance. I don't want to trump anything in those threads as those are great places for more in-depth discussion on specific issues.

I'll also try to keep this list updated if Turbine fixes and/or addresses these items in the future. Please feel free to comment, confirm, or even deny them. ;) For example, may be you've seen the same problem for years, but experience it in a slightly different way than I do? After all, I run Windows 7 RC-1, and the client runs smoothly in it, but perhaps something in the client doesn't play nicely with Windows 7 or Vista's UAC, etc. I do run DDO as an Administrator, but we never know the full extent of incompatibilities. After all, the client was released in the Windows XP days.

Thanks in advance!

Here it goes, in no particular order...

-------------==[ Annoyances -- Agreed Consensus ]==-------------
These are items that are mutually annoying to many players (rough majority consensus)

Not all Client Panel Positions are Saved. We all know that the client remembers the positions of a lot of panels, such as our quickslot bars, chat panels, our map/radar, our HP/SP status, etc. But it certainly doesn't remember our inventory, adventure log, quest XP panel, examine panel, bank panels, mail panels, and possibly others. If we have the client saving the position of some panels already, why can't we save the position of all of them?
Keybindings get Reset. This one probably annoys me more than any other DDO client issue. I'm not sure if others experience this, but I see it every time. My keybindings have default keys re-bound to them every time I launch the client, even though I've wiped them out or changed them in previous sessions. Not all keys do this, either. Specifically, Toggle Mouse Look always gets assigned to 'T', Push to Talk always gets 'F', Use/Interact always gets 'U', and the Quest XP Panel always gets 'X' just to name several. And others such as Character and Inventory Panels, will always get 'C' and 'I' inserted in there unless you assign two other key/key-sequence in its place. For those if you click on "Clear" and only assign one key, you'll get some other default key being added every time the client is closed and relaunched. I've even gone as far as to edit the keybindings file in DDO directory under 'My Documents' to no avail. I've tried wiping the entries manually and assigning them other keys manually. Nothing fixes it. May be it's a problem with the DDO client running on Windows 7 unless others have seen this in Vista and XP?
UI Layout Can't be Saved/Loaded. Turbine gave some love to the LOTRO community when they added the /ui command (specifically /ui layout [save|load] filename). So where's the love from Turbine for DDO subscribers? We're left out in the cold, unable to save and load our UI placement. Gaming on multiple PCs? Always having to rearrange UI elements when switching back and forth? Pressing Alt-Enter to switch between Windowed and Full Screen mode only to find elements have moved? This would all be solved with the ability to save and load UI elements into a local file as Turbine has already done with LOTRO.
Client Elements get Stretched. Now many of you running at a typical monitor resolution will never notice this. What I mean by "stretched" is that some client panels and elements are set to a relational width and height of your screen (ie: 100%, 50%, 20%, etc.). Yet this isn't a problem specific to DDO, it includes all games where developers don't take into consideration custom resolutions (not everyone runs the same monitor at the same aspect ratio). To be specific, the loading screens, character creation screens, intro screens, and even in-game UI elements like the Tip pop-ups (tutorial tips for new players) are all stretched, among possibly other elements. For example, I run DDO with three 1280x1024 monitors using a Matro TripleHead2Go device which splits my single output into three monitors. This gives me a gaming resolution of 3840x1024 and lets the PC treat all three monitors as one big monitor. So I notice this stretching much more than those running a single monitor. To go into details upon this example, my Tip pop-ups are stretched to an annoyingly fugly and almost unreadable wide panel. I can't resize it, I can't move it, so all I can do is turn it off or on. All UI elements should be set to fixed sizes (not relative sizes), or at least be re-sizable.
Weapons Don't Remember Inventory Positions. I'm sure most of you swap weapons now and then with the handy weapon config slots in your inventory (or whatever they're called). You most likely link those inventory weapon sets with your quickslot bars too. And yet when we switch weapons, our existing weapons don't remember where they were in our inventory. So that's right, they get dumped into our first inventory bag. Utterly annoying for those of us who try to keep our inventories organized a bit. And yet whenever we switch armor, clothing, or jewelery, it swaps it with the other item's slot in our inventory. If gear remembers where it's replacement is, weapons should do the same when using different weapon sets.
Player/Mob/NPC Relational Lag. Playing MMOs, we all have some tolerance level for a little bit of lag between players and mobs. But when I play DDO, I see this lag more pronounced than LOTRO and other MMORPGs. Why is it sub-par in DDO but smooth in LOTRO? I run a pretty clean, low latency Cable (broadband) Internet connection too, with pings typically in the double-digit ms range almost all of the time. And I see this even when soloing in a private instance. This is REALLY bad when players start crossing movement paths with mobs and NPCs (they share collision detections) to the point of rubber-banding a bit. Turbine, can we get rid of the lag to the point where we have smoother mob/player interaction as we already have in LOTRO?
Auction House Sorts Incorrectly. Sure, every page of the AH can sort via any column. But across all pages or any result set? Isn't going to happen. So if we're sorting by Buyout, we have to click through every single page to find the range of items we want instead of getting it on the first or last, smaller set of pages? You know, Turbine fixed this with LOTRO a long time ago. Still broken in DDO.
Auction House has no Search! Ok, this is a fundamental feature and in almost every other auction house out there. Yet we don't have it in DDO? Turbine has this functionality in LOTRO's auction house. Why can't we get it here? Say, for example, I want to find all items on the AH at any given time that have a haggling bonus. I could find what I'm looking for by searching for "of Haggling". But no, I have to go through all of the categories and "browse" for items there. What a waste of time. So many other threads on this too! :( Can haz searchz?
Ranged Weapons gets Out of Sync with Animations. Every find yourself firing a bow or crossbow and notice that your target getting hit is actually out of sync with you firing the projectile? It's not lag (although that could always affect it). It seems to be a bug with the bow/crossbow animation. What's worse is that I always find my character shoots one more arrow/bolt long after I left go of my side mouse button I use to attack (hold to attack option). I believe these are all tied into out of sync animations for ranged weapon firing. Thankfully it gets reset when you stop attacking, but it should never happen in the first place.
Two Weapon Fighting (TWF) also gets Out of Sync with Animations (submitted by Thanimal (http://forums.ddo.com/showpost.php?p=2505037&postcount=23)). Actually, the animations for TWF are arguably even more out of sync with attacks. This is very weird, but personally I consider it a very low priority to fix.
Excessive Creature Avoidance Movements. Ok, I know we've all experienced this multiple times, across multiple creatures from those annoying Scorpions that burrow way too frequently to the Skeleton warriors than jump around way too much. Certainly the mechanic is there to add some variety. But sometimes it seems their frequency to burrow or jump away is too high. Perhaps some of you with non-melee characters don't experience this as much as melee characters? I understand a jump and burrow a few times during a regular fight, but burrowing or jumping away up to 6 times in a row? Silly. And what's even worse is when mobs do this right before they're about to die. Turbine fixed this excessive avoidance/burrowing in LOTRO. Can we get a simple fix in DDO too? This has nothing to do with a "challenge" and everything to do with "annoyance factor". Comments added by Wudwaen (http://forums.ddo.com/showpost.php?p=2517365&postcount=67): "This is a real issue, but I think it stems from a simple difficulty of speed in general. Things are set to move at too quick an x/y ratio. (...) The same thing that makes my maneuvering and skill use very unpleasant gaming also makes the foe seem to Excessively pop-hop about - the x/y ratio and timing ques are too fast. Increase the que (slow it down by) 10 to 15% and it will be a much more exciting and playable game for the general public and the player who plays to relax and wind down from a long day."
VoIP Volume Can't be Controlled. This is one thing that both DDO and LOTRO share: the in-ability to control voice volumes for players individually. I continually have to ask some people to turn up or down their mics because not everyone tests or adjusts their mic levels before deciding to voice chat (grrr!). Even with my voice playback volume level at the highest, I have a very difficult time hearing some people, even with every other in-game sound level down between 1 and 30. LOTRO also suffers from this lack of functionality.
Guild Panel is Lacking Vital Functionality. This annoyance for me comes from my love of LOTRO's guild ("kinship") panel. It lets me know when members are AFK, and lets me right click on them to send tells, etc. It also highlights all members who are online at any given moment by showing their listing in a different color. In other words, it's actually useful, lol.
Stuck in a Loop when Climbing Ladders. Now I don't see this happening all the time, but it's certainly a bug. Ever go to climb a ladder and your character is stuck doing the tango, up and down, at the bottom of it? I've seen it too many times to be passed up without a fix. It seems that your character can get stuck in a loop climbing up a ladder (haven't seen it when going down yet). To resolve this, you stop moving, jump off the ladder, and start back up again. Normally not a big deal, but I'd hate to die due to this bug when running from a swarm of mobs. It has been noted that Turbine fixed many of these ladders, but there are still plenty out there.
Unable to Hit Stationary Mobs until 'Active'. Ever run up to a stationary mob and start whacking away at it only to Miss, Miss, Miss until it becomes 'active'? By stationary, I mean it doesn't move/roam around until it sees a player. This certainly annoys me, and it doesn't happen with all creatures. Some I can whack a bit while they go through their 'wake-up' animation (ie: lions and some beasts), and others I have to wait for the creature to finish 'waking-up' before I can even hit it (ie: some hobgoblins, kobolds, etc.).
Adventure's Compendium Doesn't always Load. Others have expressed their frustrations with this, as have I. This is a big one. It can happen to anyone, with any character, at any login. Due to unknown forces, the habits of players, and unforeseen Beholder voodoo, some people might never run into this problem. Who knows for sure? Either way, it affects a good number of people right now (as per forum posts), and it also affects me. There doesn't seem to be any pattern to this, but sometimes on login, my adventure's compendium will be blank. Yes, blank... all three tabs, all quest history and all favor points. Needless to say that makes grinding for favor and checking on missed quests extremely frustrating, if not nearly impossible (aside from the tedious task of running around collecting quests and clicking on entrances to see what's left to get). To correct this, a player will have to log out and log in their character again, or even restart the client. Sometimes that doesn't help, and sometimes it fixes it. Regardless, extremely annoying and game-breaking when we actually need to use it.
No Message when Syncing after Login. This probably doesn't bother those of us who've been playing DDO for any period of time, but I know it's confusing for new players. The first time I downloaded DDO and logged in, I tried to move my character and was stuck in-place. At first I though, "You have to be kidding me?!?!? No WASD movement by default?". Of course I soon realized that the client logging me in but was still had to 'sync' me with the server (or whatever you'd like to call it) before I could move. LOTRO doesn't have this problem, but that's most likely because they extend the character loading screen to cover this sync time. I think the way DDO handles this is better, but a message for new players would help.
Treelist Expand/Collpase for Enhancements and Feats Not Saved. Although this is minor, the treelists we have in our character advancement panels do not remember if they were expanded or collapsed between levels and even between adding/removing them. If I know I never want to bother with certain enhancements, I prefer to close the tree for them and keep it closed. I don't want it popping up each time I go to spend action points.
Missing Sounds from Breakables to Buffs. This is happening to some people so far, where we lose sounds such as smashing breakables and buffs. Although it doesn't happen all the time, it certainly is a let down when it comes to getting immersive play in a dungeon. Hearing that smashing sound is one of the joys of getting the **Ransack Bonus** for quests. ;) I run 64-bit sound drives for my Auzentech X-Meridian 7.1 sound card in Windows 7 RC-1, so I'm not ready to completely lay blame on Turbine for this one. My card does support EAX 2.0 and I have it enabled in-game. I've never seen missing sounds in other games, including Turbine's LOTRO. Normally I have breakable smashing sounds, but sometimes I enter a quest instance and it's gone. Cedwin (http://forums.ddo.com/showpost.php?p=2505204&postcount=37) mentioned: I usually keep it on Generic Software for the sound, but when I switch it to my sound card with hardware support, the EAX sounds MUCH better, but I lose the DM voice overs.
Limited Grouping Controls. The tools to help create and manage groups is lacking. This ranges from the Grouping panel's lack of features to not being able to right click on members of your party to do anything, such as send a tell, set them as a raid assist, etc.
Inability to Invite Players Until they've Left Korthos. It's a small thing, but it's still annoying. For friends of ours who are new players, I have to first introduce them to a workaround to a bug before I can send them an invite to voice chat with them. Not very welcoming. "Oh hello! Welcome to DDO! Now go to the Stormreach Harbor first so we can get around this invite bug." Ug. To make matters worse, I haven't seen any tips in the tutorial that inform new players of the various area instances (ie: 1 Korthos Village, 2 Korthos Village, etc.). If they're there, they're there way too late.
Error Number when Sending Tells to Offline Characters. This is a no-brainer. Whenever a player does something that results in an error, give them a "user friendly error", not something like Error 152. Duh. :p
Ranged Mobs Keep Attacking even if LoS is Broken (submitted by NinetyNineTails (http://forums.ddo.com/showpost.php?p=2504306&postcount=7)). Archers and casters mindlessly tossing arrows and spells into pillars because they never check their LOS. AI fail. Comments added by Wudwaen (http://forums.ddo.com/showpost.php?p=2517365&postcount=67): "But yes, this is an AI Fail problem - because the foe never breaks agro and continues pummeling unlimited resources without having to ever search out and reacquire target - as human characters do, there is a general lack of "suspension of disbelief." The credibility of the fantasy is broken by this lack of consideration for what is fundamental to the real world. Consider The Swiped Signet - where they Never lose agro or target. You can be behind a pillar, under a platform, swimming in the dark, deep underwater, hidden, invisible, etc. and they will continue to target with unlimited resources - while never having to take time to reaquire their target lock."
Mobs Run to the First-Sighting Location. I'm sure you're run at a mob to attack it, only to have it run past you to the location where it first spotted you. As if it was blind that you're running right past it, even if you whack it once? Broken AI that could benefit from a bit of tweaking.
Hair Intersects with Character, Lost with Head Gear (submitted by NinetyNineTails (http://forums.ddo.com/showpost.php?p=2504306&postcount=7)). My (female elven) ranger's hair, which dips a little too low in the part and clips into the skull. Non tres chic. Hire a stylist for your hair meshes, Turbine!
Time Pendant Changed (submitted by MissErres (http://forums.ddo.com/showpost.php?p=2504542&postcount=11)). Leave my time pendant alone. I activated it for a reason and I liked it when it stayed on, no matter how long I was logged out. Why was this changed with the Mod? I honestly cannot think of a single reason for deactivating it when you log out.
No Player Target Cycling (submitted by MissErres (http://forums.ddo.com/showpost.php?p=2504542&postcount=11)). Remember the good ol' days of standing around a public instance and being able to backspace and see everyone that was in your immediate area? Ahhhh, those were the days... reading bios while waiting for a Shroud to fill... waving to a friend as they run by... Now you have to actually click on their avatar and that is sometimes hard to do. Please bring it back, atleast as an option.
Buffs Gone When Switching Instances (submitted by MissErres (http://forums.ddo.com/showpost.php?p=2504542&postcount=11)). But I wanted to keep that nice little GH to use when selling stuff after a quest. I understand and like the whole "full health/mana" when finishing out of a quest. But if I'm headed directly into a public instance anyway (as opposed to next chapter or slayer area), I'll gladly skip the health/mana refill if I can keep my buffs. Please? Maybe?
Mailbox Missing Functions (submitted by Absolute-Omniscience (http://forums.ddo.com/showpost.php?p=2504942&postcount=17)). Mailbox doesn't have a "Delete all" button for normal messages, only for those from unconfirmed users. This is a real pain when mailing to haggle bots. Mailbox doesn't have an "Empty all" button.
Mobs Don't Lose Aggro even if Target is 'Lost' (submitted by OzmarDDO (http://forums.ddo.com/showpost.php?p=2505030&postcount=22)). It seems that, once a mob has aggro on you, they keep it, regardless of whether they lose LOS and you subsequently turn invisible and/or sneak & hide. Examples: If a mob spots me, and begins chasing, I run around the corner and hide behind a box and begin sneaking. Regardless, he runs right to my position and attacks me. It seems that they should have to make a spot/listen check against my hide/move silently check again to find me. If a mob spots me, and I turn invisible, and then move away, they nevertheless run right to my new position and attack. I suppose I am still getting a 50% miss chance, but how do they know right where I am? I think they should have to make a listen check again to pinpoint my location.
Previously Explored Maps are Wiped upon Returning at a Later Date (submitted by Nevernew (http://forums.ddo.com/showpost.php?p=2505113&postcount=30)). The total fog of war returning on fully explored explorer/adventure areas. I don't mind the greyed out fog of war but going from a fully explored map to having NOTHING explored the next day is very frustrating.
Can't Map All UI Commands (submitted by MysterX (http://forums.ddo.com/showpost.php?p=2505210&postcount=38), but revised by me). Not all UI functionality is available as a keybinding.
Locking Toolbars Doesn't Truly Lock Them (submitted by Vistram (http://forums.ddo.com/showpost.php?p=2505266&postcount=43)). Nothing like dragging over the UI in the middle of combat and having your toolbars become all skewed. This "feature" is so old it predates DDO so I doubt it will ever be addressed. Align toolbars would be nice too...I hate when they are uneven and spend an anal amount of time trying to get them just so. :p
Maps Do Not Function in Some Areas (submitted by Thanimal (http://forums.ddo.com/showpost.php?p=2505269&postcount=44)). Areas in which maps do not function at all. This drives me completely nuts, and there's quite a few important places like this. An egregious example is nearly all of Tempest Spine (at least the last time I ran it anyhow). In these areas you can't even figure out your position relative to other players!.
Items Disappear Sometimes from Hotbars (submitted by Shamurai (http://forums.ddo.com/showpost.php?p=2505410&postcount=48)). Ooh what burns my noodles is when something on one of your hot bars mysteriously dissappears, and no I don't mean a depleted scroll stack, wand or outta pots of that type, I mean a clickie that still has charges... or a weapons set. I don't even know how to "recreate" the issue because it only seems to happen in a big fight when I need it NOT to happen the most... I know others have experienced this because when I lament on it after the fightin VC I've heard "yeah I hate when that happens". Comments added by Wudwaen (http://forums.ddo.com/showpost.php?p=2517365&postcount=67): "What happens, and I have seen it happen myself, is that in the speed of activating skills, items, etc. the player unintententionally drags and drops the icon off the bar with the curser - End effect: vannished whatever it was you really needed to be using... It is sad, and in the most crittical moments horrifying, lol. Especially since the avatars (PC and NPC) move too fast.".
Mouse-overs Disappear Sometimes (submitted by Draccus (http://forums.ddo.com/showpost.php?p=2505449&postcount=50)) Mouse-over item descriptions sometimes disappearing as soon as they appear. Sometimes it works as it should, and the item details stay visible until I move the mouse off the icon. But often, they blink in and out almost instantly, forcing me to use the examine key and then manually close the window.
Not Enough Squelch Control (submitted by NinetyNineTails (http://forums.ddo.com/showpost.php?p=2507939&postcount=54)). You know what I want? I want a 30 day squelch. I don't want to permanently mute the poor noobs who don't know and don't quite know enough to care that nobody, nobody nobody nobody, wants to buy their masterwork whatevers. But I do want to make them go away for 30 days. And if they are still playing in 30 days, I'll listen to see if they've gotten a clue.
Friends List is Not Shared Across Characters (Alts). (submitted by stormsoul (http://forums.ddo.com/showpost.php?p=2508112&postcount=55)). Hello, my name is Stormsoul, and I am an altaholic... and I absolutely hate either trying to manually sync friends lists between characters, or just not doing it and losing track of some of them. I can see some people wanting an option for this, for shared-access accounts or RP reasons, so pop a checkbox for it in Options. (Comment by cipher_nemo: We all know about export/impport for friends list, but it would be nice to get this as an automatic feature that can be toggled.)
Quest Rewards sometimes Duplicated or Worse (submitted by spunkrawker (http://forums.ddo.com/showpost.php?p=2513468&postcount=63)). Reward loot tables that offer you 2 or 3 of the exact same item. I realize the loot tables are random, but it can't be too difficult to code to prevent duplication.
Map Panel Size Reset after visiting Sorrowdusk Isle. Instead of temporarily changing the size of the map panel (or not touching it at all), Sorrowdusk Isle resets the size of your map until you go back and change it again. Slightly annoying.
Weapon Wield Graphics/Animations are Inaccurate (submitted by Colryn (http://forums.ddo.com/showpost.php?p=2524752&postcount=71)). Bladed weapons are always held sideways and not positioning the blade being parallel to the body of the character properly. (Comment by cipher_nemo: This also covers "Rapier" weapons, or any sword that can only attack via a thrusting or piercing maneuver. Yet Rapiers in-game get thrown into the regular sword swinging animations. Where are the pierce animations for Rapiers?)
No Housing (submitted by Colryn (http://forums.ddo.com/showpost.php?p=2524752&postcount=71)). Still no housing or guildhalls (not many mmo's [are still without] this as a feature).
No Environment-based Emotes/Interaction (submitted by Colryn (http://forums.ddo.com/showpost.php?p=2524752&postcount=71)). No environment interaction, i.e; sitting in chairs or fishing in water.
No "Outfits" or Cosmetic Costumes for Appearances (submitted by Colryn (http://forums.ddo.com/showpost.php?p=2524752&postcount=71)). STILL no cosmetic costumes or appearance tabs for wearing clothes or armor to fit the RP style of your character. This is D&D for crying out loud. It's supposed to be the very idea of customized characters. No cloaks?! Lotro has some of the best cloaks out there, yet DDO has ZERO? BTW the current hoods are horrible. The hoods in Lotro beta looked better and yet they managed to evolve into a lot better version before release.
No Robes for Spell-casters (submitted by Colryn (http://forums.ddo.com/showpost.php?p=2524752&postcount=71)). Shops in Stormreach sell armor for all classes but no robes or clothe clothes for spellcasters.
No Travel Animations (submitted by Colryn (http://forums.ddo.com/showpost.php?p=2524752&postcount=71)). The ships in any of the harbors need some sort of animation or actually functioned, going to and from other ports like in some mmo's I won't mention. The seas in DDO are the calmest seas I have ever seen, lol.
No "Real" Crafting System (submitted by Colryn (http://forums.ddo.com/showpost.php?p=2524752&postcount=71)). No crafting and no armor customization. No it doesn't mean to do something simple and add mono-chromatic color schemes for a whole suit of armor, making the character look like a blue power ranger or something.
Mobs have Incorrect Aggro Tables (sbumitted by dusty991 (http://forums.ddo.com/showpost.php?p=2528667&postcount=78)). Mobs go straight after hirelings they cant possibly see. Like the Cleric I purposely hid behind a boulder, or the one I left many paces behind me. And a lot of mobs don't have much intelligence, some have none, but yet they still seem to go after the hirelings first.
DDO Store Lacks Readable, User-friendly History (submitted by entropiccanuck (http://forums.ddo.com/showpost.php?p=2530685&postcount=83)). My current annoyance: DDO Store: A account summary for points. Where did I get points, on which character (if applicable), for what? When did I spend points, which character, what was purchased? Part of this exists, but nothing for how I got points.
Ranged Mobs move away to Climb Unreachable Areas. This is much more of a problem for melee-focused classes. Ever fight an archer or other ranged mob and have it hop away from you, up into a unrealistically high part of the dungeon/terrain? It seems mobs (and NPC hirelings) can climb as if they're all imbued with Siperman-like super powers. Yet our melee-focused characters can't reach them way up wherever they go. So we have to take a continued beating while we try to coax them down. Horrid.
MyDDO not updating anymore for some members. Well, my character has been stuck in limbo since late November of 2009, and at this update, it's January 15th, 2010. Other members report the same, while some report that removing characters is delayed, but eventually gets updated. Some are sitting here without any updates on their "myddo" site for their characters. Broken for almost two months?
Mouse cursor difficult to see all the time. Many have complained about this, so adding it. I've had issues finding it when a lot of battle effects are occurring on-screen, but then again I game across three monitors, so I've gotten used to it. But since others are complaining who game on one monitor, regardless of resolution, then this needs to be resolved. Perhaps an option for a larger and/or more visible cursor might help? Thanks.

-------------==[ Annoyances -- Debated ]==-------------
These are controversial items in which the community cannot reach a consensus

Group Members Show no Points in Status Bars. Not showing any of your party's HP/SP numbers? Some people prefer this invisible in case pugs start screening for HP values, while others want to see it for convenience and more accurate healing for new players or off-healers.
No Target Marking. And since I'm on a grouping train of thought, DDO really needs target marking. You know those lovely little "lucky charms", symbols, icons, etc. you can add over top of mobs in other MMOs to mark main targets, mezzed targets, etc.? Doesn't exist in DDO. So we're pretty much saying things like: "Go fight that caster over there... the one over there by the wall... and we'll get these over here. No, not that one! The one with a staff over there... oh, nevermind.". Coming up on a three-year old MMORPG here and still no target marketing? Some members stated that this is not necessary or manageable with alternatives (ie: spell effects). I don't think anyone has said they would be outright opposed to this, but I do get feedback that this is a non-issue for many, so moved to debatable. Comments added by Wudwaen (http://forums.ddo.com/showpost.php?p=2517365&postcount=67): "Two things that are not in DDO that I absolutely miss from GW are Target Calling and Pinging. In GW, as a party approaches a mob, the first person to spot the most important foe (usually either the Nuker or the Healer) calls the target by high-lighting and holding ctrl while hitting the attack button. This causes a visual highlight of the target, an audible ping, and radians off the target in the mini-map. It also sets the target of all party members too that foe unless they actively change it by attacking something else. We can also self-target and ping in the same way, which would be incredibly useful when someone says over VoIP, "Igot the chest here." "Where." "Here where I am standing." "Where is that?" "Right here by the chest""
Anti-Powerleveling is Overkill that Hurts Casual Grouping. There are arguments on boths sides of this issue, but the anti-powerleveling function in DDO hurts casual plays more than it prevents "power-leveling". Some in the community think the anti-powerleveling system is just fine. Here's an example of an argument to re-work it: a couple of my friends and I get together for some questing to help our other friend who's just started DDO. We had no idea an anti-powerleveling feature existed into we ran into this scenario. I was still using my original main (a fighter) and still learning DDO. All of us were. So we didn't bother checking the Quest XP panel since we were just casually helping a friend with one of his quests. Now, granted he could easily do this quest alone. It was an easy one in the Harbor. But we were interested in grouping up to spend some quality time together. So we had fun and completed a long quest. At the end our friend noticed he received no XP for finishing the quest. So we all check our Quest XP panel and sure enough, he got the power-leveling notice. Here's the rub: there was no warning about this on our screens. He might have received a warning, but since he's new to DDO he might have missed it. We were level 7 and 8 at the time, and he was level 3, so the 5 level difference was there. Boom, instant disappointment, instant nerf. This friend who's new is a casual player, so he doesn't get to spend much time on DDO. And of course although we did have fun, he did get the favor for it, and we all got loot (even if junk for the level), he received no XP and therefore it was a waste of time when earning XP is involved. Now, I have no idea how to fix this system, but one thing I do know: the anti power-leveling features in DDO are hurting regular players who don't "power-level". And they do so without sufficient warning to the higher levels in the party. There's nothing wrong with an XP reduction (ie: 75% XP loss) for grouping with out of level ranges, but removing all XP for 5 levels difference? Overkill. We are now forced to quest apart since our friends are of different level ranges than us. That's a game-breaking deal for casual grouping. To make it even worse, the quest level is used instead of the adjusted quest level (ie: Hard and Elite mode) when calculating this. Thanks Turbine for gimping the very reason why I joined DDO: to group-up and spend time with people who were friends even before playing DDO. Comments added by Wudwaen (http://forums.ddo.com/showpost.php?p=2517365&postcount=67): "Anti-power Leveling is an issue for all MMOs. And here is the real marketing problem for it: Power leveled players don't learn enough about the game to play well for others at the levels they are dumped out at. The way this has been handled has been assanine. Instead of punishing the new player who needs assist in using their skills with those who know what they are doing, the experienced player should be able to take a set-back to play at an acceptable level with the New Ugly Guy (NUG), their friend. MMOs are meant to be a social game. Anti-powerleveling tactics in MMOs have been aimed at punishing new players and friends of experienced players, so that the new players no longer want to play or the old players must destroy their existing character of two years to run with their friend who finally decided to try their first MMO. WHAT? There should be an option so that existing characters can cut back to previous levels in order to play with their friends and guildies without anyone getting hurt or penalized. DDO is perfect for this, it already includes a system for dealing with level loss due to damage from level draining effects. So, make it optional for players whose level is higher than that for which the dungeon is rated, then let them work at the chosen level and receive rewards at that level."

I'm sure I've forgotten other annoyances, so I'll add more in the future. I'm also open to re-wording them or changing the list if I've missed something or just plain have something wrong.

If you guys have other annoyances you'd like to add, please post and I'll try to include them. I know we have others threads for individual annoyances/bugs, but it is certainly nice to try to pull them all into one long list in hopes that it gives Turbine something to scan when patching/updating DDO. I know many of these are probably already bugged, but there are others that wouldn't be considered a bug, but rather a minor feature or change request.

It would be nice to keep this list strictly for annoyances rather than larger feature requests. This list should be things that bug you (no pun intended), but at the same time things that might not get around to be submitted as a bug or widely discussed. Or even for something that others might consider too trivial to start a new thread about it. This would be especially true if you're as compulsive about some things as I am. ;) As for big feature requests, I hope everyone continues to opens a new thread for them (as has been already) so that those requests can get the full attention and discussion they deserve. My list is much more compulsive and possibly even petty to the point of nit-picking, lol.

Lassivern, Arobe, and I (Ciphariel, Ciphar, and Cipheron) joined DDO at the same time and helped get our friends in DDO too. About a dozen of them so far to this day. We've spent money at the DDO store to get "Premium Accounts" (no interest in another subscription MMO), and have attracted other players. So we certainly have some leeway when it comes to complaining about these annoyances and frustrations. ;)

And again, in spite of all of this, I can't state enough how much I've enjoyed DDO since the day I joined. This list is not something that's going to keep me from playing DDO. :D

totmacher
10-22-2009, 03:47 PM
i hear ya brotha. i wish their ui developers just gave a ****

Sweyn
10-22-2009, 03:51 PM
Nice list

NinetyNineTails
10-22-2009, 03:52 PM
/signed more or less across the board. +1 rep, too.

cipher_nemo4
10-22-2009, 03:55 PM
Thanks! :) If you guys find any mistakes in there, things I've missed, or points where I'm just wrong, please feel free to point them out.

enochiancub
10-22-2009, 03:57 PM
/signed

Amazing to see an annoyance post that was well though out, worded and executed without resorting to whining and fit throwing. +1rep

NinetyNineTails
10-22-2009, 10:18 PM
25. Archers and casters mindlessly tossing arrows and spells into pillars because they never check their LOS. AI fail.

26. My (female elven) ranger's hair, which dips a little too low in the part and clips into the skull. Non tres chic. Hire a stylist for your hair meshes, Turbine!

cipher_nemo4
10-22-2009, 11:22 PM
25. Archers and casters mindlessly tossing arrows and spells into pillars because they never check their LOS. AI fail.

26. My (female elven) ranger's hair, which dips a little too low in the part and clips into the skull. Non tres chic. Hire a stylist for your hair meshes, Turbine!

25 Sounds good! It bugs me too. :)

For 26 how about I add the annoyance that our hair is 1.) hidden by head gear, and 2.) extends into the character for some styles?

I'll add these Friday. Oh, I remember another one about mobs running to your location when they spot you instead of to where your character is at that moment.

johnburr75
10-23-2009, 01:46 AM
/signed

Normally these complaint threads are idiotic, but you hit the nail on the head.

+1

NinetyNineTails
10-23-2009, 01:49 AM
I'll add these Friday. Oh, I remember another one about mobs running to your location when they spot you instead of to where your character is at that moment.

You know, I can actually live with this. NPCs don't, or shouldn't, have magic knowledge of where you ran off to.

MissErres
10-23-2009, 02:03 AM
How about bringing back a few things we lost?

27. Leave my time pendant alone. I activated it for a reason and I liked it when it stayed on, no matter how long I was logged out. Why was this changed with the Mod? I honestly cannot think of a single reason for deactivating it when you log out.

28. Remember the good ol' days of standing around a public instance and being able to backspace and see everyone that was in your immediate area? Ahhhh, those were the days... reading bios while waiting for a Shroud to fill... waving to a friend as they run by... Now you have to actually click on their avatar and that is sometimes hard to do. Please bring it back, atleast as an option.

29. But I wanted to keep that nice little GH to use when selling stuff after a quest. I understand and like the whole "full health/mana" when finishing out of a quest. But if I'm headed directly into a public instance anyway (as opposed to next chapter or slayer area), I'll gladly skip the health/mana refill if I can keep my buffs. Please? Maybe?

Lithic
10-23-2009, 02:11 AM
I Disagree with the following (My comments in magenta):

Group Members Show no Points in Status Bars. You make this problem sound much worse than it is in real gaming. Clerics learn very quickly that you save HEAL for the barbarians (or any warforged), but the drow wizard can usually be topped up with a cure moderate. As for your statement that you could know exactly how many hp everyone had, thats up to the dm. Our policy was you could only describe your character in terms of how hurt they looked, not in true numbers. I'm quite happy the numbers don't show up. I was under the impression there was an option to turn numbers on for party HP, but I might be mistaken.

Excessive Creature Avoidance Movements.
The only one I particularly dislike is the ogre mage gaseous form. It takes too long for them to come back. I know its to give them time to regen to full, but what they should do is up the regen by 10x when in gaseous form, and have them come back in 1/10th the time. As for skeletons jumping around, I like that. They are among the very few mobs that actually seem to care about not being hit, which is funny considering they are mindless undead immune to pain and oblivious to their own body conditions. Scorps and shades work fine too, cept when they bug out in a wall or something heh.

Stuck in a Loop when Climbing Ladders.
This one is about 100x better than it use to be. Send in a bug report with your location when on the ladder causing the hitching. They fix a couple ladders every update I think.

Unable to Hit Stationary Mobs until 'Active'.
You probably mean monsters like the stone statues that are pieces of background, then animate and attack? Wouldn't be much of a challenge if you could hack them down to 10% hp before they started swinging. Think of them as a different type of ambush.

Inability to Invite Players Until they've Left Korthos.
This is to make sure the new players get exposed to all the hints. If they take off with a group thats on a different part of the game, then they could lose out on valuable information. Frankly, people don't read enough of them, and there needs to be MORE hints and instructions given, especially concerning the LFM/LFG panels. Sucks for those who want to skip ahead, but it likely helps alot more than it hurts. Plus, anyone who does it once never has to do it again, and it takes all of 20minutes if you know what you are doing.

Anti-Powerleveling is Overkill, and it's Killing Casual Grouping.
[COLOR="magenta"]Strongly strongly disagree with this one. a 3 level spread for no penalty is generous, and 4 level spread with some penalty is even more generous. The difference between a lvl 3 character (your friend) and a lvl 8 character (your groupmate) is enormous. The lvl 3's presence certainly made ZERO difference to your party, especially considering you said the lvl 3 could have soloed it. If a lvl 3 character can solo a quest, then a lvl 8 character could solo the quest on elite while cursed, blind, diseased, slowed, feebleminded, and naked. Why should the lvl 3 get any xp for tagging along?

Beherit_Baphomar
10-23-2009, 02:16 AM
**** sake dude, anything else while yer at it?

+1 for a very well written post outlining many thing LOTR redheaded stepchild lacks. And for having an awesome monitor setup!

Uska
10-23-2009, 02:37 AM

I am with Lithic on this

cipher_nemo4
10-23-2009, 08:36 AM

Because you included all of your response inside a quote tag, I can't quote your words to reply. Thanks for making that cumbersome. :p

As for monsters that don't take hits until "active", I'm not talking about statues. This happens to regular mobs like hobgoblins, orcs, etc. There seems to be an oversight in the code that does not account for server lag or so.

And as for the HP numbers in group, yes if you've been playing a while you can probably make a good guess. But while you're at it, since you're so good at guessing, how about we don't show your stats either. If you know your character, you can guess too. :p j/k of course, but arguing that for the sake of being able to guess is weak.

Regarding the anti-power-leveling and grouping, you're looking it at from a technical viewpoint. I'm looking at it from a "let's hang out and spend some time on DDO" standpoint. The XP gained by that lowbie in my group shouldn't be completely nerfed. Sure, we don't mind if he gets much less, but nothing? It makes casual grouping almost pointless for casual players (since they don't care about favor or items as much). What makes it worse is that they're getting no XP, so they're falling behind from the rest of us in levels even faster. I've already leveled two characters to level 8 so far while plenty in my guild are on their first 8 or still at 3 or 4. Yes, they're VERY casual. They're here to enjoy some time together in a dungeon, not to progress as fast as possible. I'm not concerned with progressing fast, but I love to experience the content of DDO, and I'm compulsive, so I enjoy turning all of that yellow text in wilderness areas to green. :) I have many wilderness areas complete, and most quests level 3 and under done with Elite. So I'm a very different player than my casual friends. But as I said in the original list, I know there's a lot of opinions on both side of this issue. All that matters is that the system is broken for casual and new players.

Finally, for ladders, I've had this happen at probably 5 different ladders so far. I don't think I'm going to bug every single one since I'm not here to beta test (I already am beta testing for a few games I can't mention due to NDAs). I'm happy to mention the issue and give feedback, but sending in five different bugs for the trivial ladder issue is even more tedious than posting this list. If the problem applies to more than just one ladder, it's something that Turbine needs to change on all of theses ladders. Perhaps the ladder climbing code has a bug in it that is affected by terrain. Do you change the terrain where this happens or do you just fix the bug? Certainly, fixing the bug at its source is a much better option.

Otherwise, thanks for the feedback. :)

cipher_nemo4
10-23-2009, 08:51 AM
I just updated my post with recent additions here from NinetyNineTails and MissErres. :) Thanks!

Absolute-Omniscience
10-23-2009, 08:57 AM
Mailbox doesn't have a "Delete all" button for normal messages, only for those from unconfirmed users. This is a real pain when mailing to haggle bots.

Mailbox doesn't have an "Empty all" button.

Turial
10-23-2009, 09:07 AM
Finally, for ladders, I've had this happen at probably 5 different ladders so far. I don't think I'm going to bug every single one since I'm not here to beta test (I already am beta testing for a few games I can't mention due to NDAs). I'm happy to mention the issue and give feedback, but sending in five different bugs for the trivial ladder issue is even more tedious than posting this list. If the problem applies to more than just one ladder, it's something that Turbine needs to change on all of theses ladders. Perhaps the ladder climbing code has a bug in it that is affected by terrain. Do you change the terrain where this happens or do you just fix the bug? Certainly, fixing the bug at its source is a much better option.

Otherwise, thanks for the feedback. :)

If you do not bug report and provide the in bug report location beacon for the ladders you can not use they will never get fixed.

The ladder issue comes up because many of the ladders are simply two ladders linked together because it saves on the art budget. The result though is a small gap between the two ladders, even though we can't see it, that causes the hitching.

Some ladders this doesn't affect which is why Turbine will not simply check all ladders. To them the their limited QA team it is not worth the time as there are many other more pressing bugs. Now if you submit a report on it they may do something about it in their free time.

Shamurai
10-23-2009, 09:16 AM
Very Well Written! I've encountered many of these annoyances and fully support!

Im retentive about my invy space looking organized and hhhhhaaaaaaate the reshuffle every time I clicky or switch stuff.. If even they just make it "stick" when you Lock it.. that would be something..

Syladel
10-23-2009, 09:16 AM
"Limited Grouping Controls. I think this has been beaten to death in others threads, so I'm not going to say much. But the tools to help create and manage groups is lacking. Turbine gave a little bit of attention to LOTRO's grouping tools, and it has helped a lot, but DDO is still lacking fundamental features here. This ranges from the Grouping panel's lack of features to not being able to right click on members of your party to do anything, such as send a tell, set them as a raid assist, etc."

Actually the grouping tools are so much better in DDO than LotrO and its one of the things I would like the LotrO devs "steal" from DDO. But then again, no one uses the LFM tool in LotrO but there is a good reason for it. (not only that they made LotrO way to solo friendly)

Other features like raid assist and target marking is not needed in DDO imo since the combat is very different from LotrO and some of the reason what m akes DDO unique. Also makes communication more important instead of the leader just say "All dps follow fighter, mezz skull, tank shield" :)

But a good list anyway! Im a big fan of both LotrO and DDO and think they have much to learn from eachother.

Turial
10-23-2009, 09:21 AM

Weapons Don't Remember Inventory Positions. I'm sure most of you swap weapons now and then with the handy weapon config slots in your inventory (or whatever they're called). You most likely link those inventory weapon sets with your quickslot bars too. And yet when we switch weapons, our existing weapons don't remember where they were in our inventory. So that's right, they get dumped into our first inventory bag. Utterly annoying for those of us who try to keep our inventories organized a bit. And yet whenever we switch armor, clothing, or jewelery, it swaps it with the other item's slot in our inventory. If gear remembers where it's replacement is, weapons should do the same when using different weapon sets.
Group Members Show no Points in Status Bars. Huh? Seriously? What genius thought it was ok not to show your party's HP/SP numbers in a party? Even in old tabletop D&D, the party of adventures could know how many hit points each other adventurer had. Yet in DDO our poor Clerics are scratching their hands trying to guess at how much healing to give everyone. Sure, we'll get used to the regulars we group with, but this makes pugs in DDO that much more horrid. Yeah, I'm not looking forward to raiding in DDO... "so, does our main tank have 200 HP left or 300 HP left? What's his max again? 320?" Wait, that's the main tank for the other group. Oh crud, just spam massive cures until his bar is full again." No thank you. :( How do you end-game raiders deal with this now without resorting to a zerg-fest?
No Target Marking. And since I'm on a grouping train of thought, DDO really needs target marking. You know those lovely little "lucky charms", symbols, icons, etc. you can add over top of mobs in other MMOs to mark main targets, mezzed targets, etc.? Doesn't exist in DDO. So we're pretty much saying things like: "Go fight that caster over there... the one over there by the wall... and we'll get these over here. No, not that one! The one with a staff over there... oh, nevermind.". Coming up on a three-year old MMORPG here and still no target marketing?
:D

Weapons don't remember inventory positions because of issues it would cause when looting additional items. Lets say you have 12 items on your character...would you want your inventory to be permanently smaller by 12 slots simply so that those items move back to the same spots in your inventory? This is why Turbine gave us customizable hot keys. We can set weapons and other items in our inventory there so we don't have to go digging around in our packs for them.

Player hp and sp totals were likely left from the UI display for several reasons. 1) They would be used as anti-grouping and grounds for making fun of other players or dropping them from group. We have all see groups where someone joins and is almost immediately dropped because they didn't have x, y, or z. 2) It adds some excitement and a bit of a learning curve to each new group because the healer may have to communicate with his party members or perform some test heals during lesser battles to figure things out. Even if people knew how many hp a player hand left they will still likely use the most efficient hp/sp spell they have to top them off in battle (at cap this is heal and the mass cures).

Target marking can be done in DDO but not in the artificial way that games like WOW do it. Using debuffing weapons and spells like Rad 2, shattermantle, and cursespewing all work to highlight individual targets. There are few fights in the game where it is strategically important to highlight more then one mob where it is not obvious which mob is being referenced as they are normally named and visually distinct.

OzmarDDO
10-23-2009, 09:35 AM
Here is one to add:

It seems that, once a mob has aggro on you, they keep it, regardless of whether they lose LOS and you subsequently turn invisible and/or sneak & hide.

Examples:
If a mob spots me, and begins chasing, I run around the corner and hide behind a box and begin sneaking. Regardless, he runs right to my position and attacks me. It seems that they should have to make a spot/listen check against my hide/move silently check again to find me.

If a mob spots me, and I turn invisible, and then move away, they nevertheless run right to my new position and attack. I suppose I am still getting a 50% miss chance, but how do they know right where I am? I think they should have to make a listen check again to pinpoint my location.

-Ozmar the Sneaky Player

Thanimal
10-23-2009, 09:37 AM
Extremely well thought out -- this is the most (potentially) productive "complaint thread" ever. I joined the chorus of +1 reppers -- and I'm happy to say I can give you a relatively large bump now! :)

But, of course, since I'm a generally critical guy and I like to see my words in print, I have a few comments!

Weapons Don't Remember Inventory Positions.

Man, that WOULD be awesome. I have this strange feeling it might be hard to implement, but maybe it's as simple as remembering where you "want" to go, and if that spot is full then fall back to the current behavior.

Auction House Sorts Incorrectly.

This is frankly just embarrassing for Turbine. This ain't rocket science.

Auction House has no Search!

This is more effort, but would be VERY worthwhile. I and others have demands this for (literally) years. Don't hold your breath, but please keep demanding it!

Group Members Show no Points in Status Bars.

I'll join a few others who note this can be considered a feature in some ways. I believe this is intentional on their part and will never be "fixed."

Ranged Weapons gets Out of Sync with Animations.

Actually, the animations for TWF are arguably even more out of sync with attacks. This is very weird, but personally I consider it a very low priority to fix.

Excessive Creature Avoidance Movements.

I HATE THAT!! And my wife hates it more. Half the chatter on her headset is "Stop hopping around, dammit!!"

No Message when Syncing after Login.

This is a weird new problem, actually -- previously loadin was just a few seconds and your character was kind of suspended in the air until it was completed. I don't know what caused it, but MAN is it annoying.

Inability to Invite Players Until they've Left Korthos.

I think this is completely horrible and I've said so in as many ways as I can think of. At least they added a little bit of a warning to veterans that sorta kinda hints that you won't be able to group with newbies if you skip the tutorial.

And again, in spite of all of this, I can't state enough how much I've enjoyed DDO since the day I joined. This list is not something that's going to keep me from playing DDO. :D

In a weird way, that's the sad part. This game is so ridiculously good at its core that it can overcome a pile of silly weakness and poor polish. Imagine how good it could be. This should be the hands-down best MMO in the world. Oh well.

Turial
10-23-2009, 09:45 AM
Here is one to add:

It seems that, once a mob has aggro on you, they keep it, regardless of whether they lose LOS and you subsequently turn invisible and/or sneak & hide.

Examples:
If a mob spots me, and begins chasing, I run around the corner and hide behind a box and begin sneaking. Regardless, he runs right to my position and attacks me. It seems that they should have to make a spot/listen check against my hide/move silently check again to find me.

If a mob spots me, and I turn invisible, and then move away, they nevertheless run right to my new position and attack. I suppose I am still getting a 50% miss chance, but how do they know right where I am? I think they should have to make a listen check again to pinpoint my location.

-Ozmar the Sneaky Player

Some mobs have the ability to see invisible objects which when you cast it on yourself is like turning on a large neon "I'm right here" sign. Some mobs have other senses which means you simply can't hide from them.

Think about real life....if your cat pounces on you and then runs around the corner and attempts to hide in the shadow of the bookcase you can find it pretty easily..right?

Same thing is happening here except the mobs are locating you via something similar to sonar. Try hitting a mob from range, moving around a corner and sneaking in a large square pattern. If performed correctly you will watch the mob move to your last location and attack where you last were. The mob has to re-locate you each time but is able to because the game puts a pretty hefty penalty on hiding once a mob knows your there. Similar to how cats slink around a room all sneaky like as you watch them...you just shake your head a think "silly cat I can see you"

Now if you cast invisibility and do the same thing you can eventually loose the mob. It just takes time for them to give up on looking for you.

The set-up is against us but you can game the system sometimes. I recommend looking up the shadow mage videos by Ghoste on fun sneaking tech.

cipher_nemo4
10-23-2009, 09:55 AM
Weapons don't remember inventory positions because of issues it would cause when looting additional items. Lets say you have 12 items on your character...would you want your inventory to be permanently smaller by 12 slots simply so that those items move back to the same spots in your inventory? This is why Turbine gave us customizable hot keys. We can set weapons and other items in our inventory there so we don't have to go digging around in our packs for them.

I think Thanimal answered that was a possible solution much better than I could state it:

Man, that WOULD be awesome. I have this strange feeling it might be hard to implement, but maybe it's as simple as remembering where you "want" to go, and if that spot is full then fall back to the current behavior.

Player hp and sp totals were likely left from the UI display for several reasons. 1) They would be used as anti-grouping and grounds for making fun of other players or dropping them from group. We have all see groups where someone joins and is almost immediately dropped because they didn't have x, y, or z.

There are plenty of other reasons for petty people to not want to group with someone else. HP is not one of them, as I've never seen this issue in any MMO. Mostly those reasons are your build or your equipment.

2) It adds some excitement and a bit of a learning curve to each new group because the healer may have to communicate with his party members or perform some test heals during lesser battles to figure things out. Even if people knew how many hp a player hand left they will still likely use the most efficient hp/sp spell they have to top them off in battle (at cap this is heal and the mass cures).

If you're excited, then by all means, don't have it shown. The HP and SP numbers should be an option we can toggle on and off. Don't argue for gimping the client for the rest of us just because you have a preference. For all preferences, there should be a toggle. :)

Target marking can be done in DDO but not in the artificial way that games like WOW do it. Using debuffing weapons and spells like Rad 2, shattermantle, and cursespewing all work to highlight individual targets. There are few fights in the game where it is strategically important to highlight more then one mob where it is not obvious which mob is being referenced as they are normally named and visually distinct.

Not everyone is going to have those spells on equipment or in their spell list. Sorry, that's not an effective solution. We need a real one. Then if you still want to use those things to mark targets, by all means, be my guess. Weak argument against implementing target marking. But you did offer some interesting information I didn't know about! For that I thank you. :)

cipher_nemo4
10-23-2009, 09:56 AM
Same thing is happening here except the mobs are locating you via something similar to sonar.

I've seen EVERY mob do this, so it has nothing to do with bat-like "sonar" or other senses. Even regular humans can magically find you in this scenario.

cipher_nemo4
10-23-2009, 10:02 AM
Extremely well thought out -- this is the most (potentially) productive "complaint thread" ever. I joined the chorus of +1 reppers -- and I'm happy to say I can give you a relatively large bump now! :)

But, of course, since I'm a generally critical guy and I like to see my words in print, I have a few comments!

Thanks Thanimal! :D And no worries, I welcome the feedback. I'd like to refine this list for any reasonable viewpoints or arguments expressed. So far I've seen some good arguments that are making me second guess some of my points. But I've also seen pain-thin ones as well. ;) But yours are always good!

Auction House Sorts Incorrectly.

This is frankly just embarrassing for Turbine. This ain't rocket science.

Auction House has no Search!

This is more effort, but would be VERY worthwhile. I and others have demands this for (literally) years. Don't hold your breath, but please keep demanding it!

Yes, it was one of the biggest let-downs when joining DDO. My initial reaction when I first took a look at the AH in DDO: "Seriously? Quest rewards better be pretty good then.".

Ranged Weapons gets Out of Sync with Animations.

Actually, the animations for TWF are arguably even more out of sync with attacks. This is very weird, but personally I consider it a very low priority to fix.

I've noticed this too, but since TWF has so many animations, it doesn't seem to matter quite as much since it looks like a lot of flailing around, lol. But yes, I'll add the point since it's valid.

pumagirl418
10-23-2009, 10:03 AM
[Quote] Player/Mob/NPC Relational Lag. Playing MMOs, we all have some tolerance level for a little bit of lag between players and mobs. But when I play DDO, I see this lag more pronounced than LOTRO and other MMORPGs. [Quote]

Well, JUST prior to Lotro the lag started. Seemed like they took the good 'servers' from us and gave them to what was to be their new 'cash' cow. which from people prior to me and prior to turbine (pre-ddo); this wasn't a new thing. Turbine supposedly did the same thing to archerons call, when they started ddo. Before lotro... wow don't make me cry... the lag (and loot) was quite different.

cipher_nemo4
10-23-2009, 10:10 AM
Other features like raid assist and target marking is not needed in DDO imo since the combat is very different from LotrO and some of the reason what m akes DDO unique. Also makes communication more important instead of the leader just say "All dps follow fighter, mezz skull, tank shield" :)

True, combat is very different. But it's easy for me to mark targets quickly. And it's possible to mark casters as high priority targets before a party gets close. That would really help a party, let alone even help me in my solo-play since I often lose track of the caster in large groups of mobs unless I have them targeted or can spot their staff/whatever quickly.

Fact is, target marking is going to help some people ALOT! :) It might not help some people as much for the reasons you (and others) have stated in this thread. For people joining DDO from other MMOs, it's an expected feature that's missing (just like AH search). Tell a hardcore MMORPG player that they can't search the AH and you'll see him/her spew a torrent of complaints (as has been done all over the forums already). ;)

But a good list anyway! Im a big fan of both LotrO and DDO and think they have much to learn from eachother.

Thanks! I completely agree. :) Sharing code between the DDO and LOTRO teams is a win/win. Less work, better fixes, better uniformity across their products. Why is Turbine dragging their feet on this one?

Nevernew
10-23-2009, 10:11 AM
Something I didn't see on the list but frustrates me to no end: The total fog of war returning on fully explored explorer/adventure areas. I don't mind the greyed out fog of war but going from a fully explored map to having NOTHING explored the next day is very frustrating.

cipher_nemo4
10-23-2009, 10:15 AM
Well, JUST prior to Lotro the lag started. Seemed like they took the good 'servers' from us and gave them to what was to be their new 'cash' cow. which from people prior to me and prior to turbine (pre-ddo); this wasn't a new thing. Turbine supposedly did the same thing to archerons call, when they started ddo. Before lotro... wow don't make me cry... the lag (and loot) was quite different.

That's a shame. Thanks for sharing that info; I'm relatively new to DDO so I didn't know this.

I've seen something similar happen to LOTRO too with lag. Every since March of 2009, LOTRO has experienced lag spikes quite frequently (combat is still smooth in general). Turbine claims it's because of people "leaving instances open", but we all know the real cause is them switching data-center providers in March of 2009. Turbine has patched LOTRO repeatedly to help (even downtime for days during this to work on it). Yet we don't get the same love and attention to DDO.

Before I joined DDO, I saw some of the complaints. But didn't know the actual severity of this until I started playing it. It is sad. It seems Turbine is dumping money into support LOTRO (and it's even spotty at that), but little into DDO except for big updates.

cipher_nemo4
10-23-2009, 10:16 AM
Something I didn't see on the list but frustrates me to no end: The total fog of war returning on fully explored explorer/adventure areas. I don't mind the greyed out fog of war but going from a fully explored map to having NOTHING explored the next day is very frustrating.

AHHH! One of my frustrations too that I compeltely forgot about! Thanks. :D I'll add it and attribute it to you!

ddaedelus
10-23-2009, 10:31 AM
And as for the HP numbers in group, yes if you've been playing a while you can probably make a good guess. But while you're at it, since you're so good at guessing, how about we don't show your stats either. If you know your character, you can guess too. :p j/k of course, but arguing that for the sake of being able to guess is weak.

As a healer, I have never needed numbers in any game to know how much of someone's health bar I can heal. Through experience I've learned who can have how much health. In fact, in games where the numbers are available, I turn them off as they obscure the bar. So if they actually did anything like this, I would at least request that players be able to turn it off.

Regarding the anti-power-leveling and grouping, you're looking it at from a technical viewpoint. I'm looking at it from a "let's hang out and spend some time on DDO" standpoint. The XP gained by that lowbie in my group shouldn't be completely nerfed. Sure, we don't mind if he gets much less, but nothing? It makes casual grouping almost pointless for casual players (since they don't care about favor or items as much). What makes it worse is that they're getting no XP, so they're falling behind from the rest of us in levels even faster. I've already leveled two characters to level 8 so far while plenty in my guild are on their first 8 or still at 3 or 4. Yes, they're VERY casual. They're here to enjoy some time together in a dungeon, not to progress as fast as possible. I'm not concerned with progressing fast, but I love to experience the content of DDO, and I'm compulsive, so I enjoy turning all of that yellow text in wilderness areas to green. :) I have many wilderness areas complete, and most quests level 3 and under done with Elite. So I'm a very different player than my casual friends. But as I said in the original list, I know there's a lot of opinions on both side of this issue. All that matters is that the system is broken for casual and new players.

I run into this same problem regularly -- my friends and I tend to play at very different rates -- however I'm still going to agree with Lithic on this.

You could easily get around your problem by rolling a character and dedicating it to leveling with your friends. That's what my friends and I do.

I'll also point out that if your friend was level three, you could have created a new character and went and played with him just fine, and both of you would have had received xp.

Tonight roll a new toon. Level him to 2 and get off Korthos. Now shelve him until your friends play. Problem solved.

cipher_nemo4
10-23-2009, 10:43 AM
As a healer, I have never needed numbers in any game to know how much of someone's health bar I can heal. Through experience I've learned who can have how much health. In fact, in games where the numbers are available, I turn them off as they obscure the bar. So if they actually did anything like this, I would at least request that players be able to turn it off.

So a feature with a toggle (possibly off by default) would be acceptable to both of us, correct? It's very nice to have for those of us who are not playing a Cleric but have access to some healing spells and are still learning and getting a feel for that guessing game (ie: Ranger).

You could easily get around your problem by rolling a character and dedicating it to leveling with your friends. That's what my friends and I do.

I'll also point out that if your friend was level three, you could have created a new character and went and played with him just fine, and both of you would have had received xp.

Tonight roll a new toon. Level him to 2 and get off Korthos. Now shelve him until your friends play. Problem solved.

Not solved, sorry.

I've done that. I have three slots used of my 4 so far on the Cannith server. I even have one character that I'm leaving low-level. But my play frequency is much greater than my casual friends, so regardless, I'll be passing them up with even my alts. So this is still a deal breaker for casual grouping (no one likes playing anything for zero XP).

There is certainly a much better compromise here. After all, this system is supposed to prevent power-leveling. So if they make the XP gained very low with large level differences (ie: 80-99% XP reduction), it would certainly still be fun. I'm not asking for much, just a system that doesn't completely gimp casual grouping.

And even if I had more character slots, I have no interest in being an 'alt-aholic'. :p

Shyver
10-23-2009, 10:53 AM
There are plenty of other reasons for petty people to not want to group with someone else. HP is not one of them, as I've never seen this issue in any MMO. Mostly those reasons are your build or your equipment.

The difference between a DDO build and most other MMO builds is that in another MMO I know that a class is going to have roughly the same number of hit points as the next guy because, other than +hp/vitality/whatever gear, the characters are going to be roughly the same.

In DDO there are so many factors that can effect your HP total that if it was shown people WOULD be excluded from groups on HP alone. Low HP builds would never get into hard/elite end game quests or even most raids. We can say that we're all fair in making our groups, but honestly given the option of a 350 hp rogue and a 240 hp rogue, more times than not we're taking the 350 hp rogue.

As it stands any player can have the chance to run with anyone else. If they are a little squishy but a good player that gets noted. Under a HP/SP display people will never take the chance to learn if a player is good because "Nope, not taking you sorry. You're too squishy."

cipher_nemo4
10-23-2009, 11:02 AM
The difference between a DDO build and most other MMO builds is that in another MMO I know that a class is going to have roughly the same number of hit points as the next guy because, other than +hp/vitality/whatever gear, the characters are going to be roughly the same.

In DDO there are so many factors that can effect your HP total that if it was shown people WOULD be excluded from groups on HP alone. Low HP builds would never get into hard/elite end game quests or even most raids. We can say that we're all fair in making our groups, but honestly given the option of a 350 hp rogue and a 240 hp rogue, more times than not we're taking the 350 hp rogue.

As it stands any player can have the chance to run with anyone else. If they are a little squishy but a good player that gets noted. Under a HP/SP display people will never take the chance to learn if a player is good because "Nope, not taking you sorry. You're too squishy."

You're claiming that "hard/elite end game" pugs would by filtering potential members by HP? Not only is that a guess on your part (since this is a hypothetical situation), but it's also self-defeating. If you're claiming these are hardcore players, then they know that a build makes exponentially more difference than raw HP in DDO. Raw HP without the AC and/or saves to back it up means little. Every hardcore or end-game player knows that. Not getting hit verses getting hit with XX damage each time is a difference of night and day.

Cedwin
10-23-2009, 11:02 AM
I've had issues with the sounds not working too. Mostly it's the breakables, it's weird because I'll hear no sound on 4 or 5 breakables, then run to the other side of the room and I get sound on the next breakable.

Sometimes I lose sound on the buffs, like bull strength and fox's cunning, I'll see the animation but get no sound. I have this issue with EAX turned on or off, it's just random as too when it happens.

I usually keep it on Generic Software for the sound, but when I switch it to my sound card with hardware support, the EAX sounds MUCH better, but I lose the DM voice overs...

MysterX
10-23-2009, 11:04 AM
Since part of the theme of this list is "things they got right in the LOTRO User Interface" .... (which admittedly came later than DDO and is probably why DDO still has warts like the auction house panel not reverting to the top of the list when you change pages, etc)

Why can't I map a keyboard command (in this case I'd like to use CTRL-L) to toggle the lock/unlock of items in hotbars? Sometimes I need to move stuff around, and having to go into the options panel everytime I want to make a change makes me miss my fast keyboard shortcut. Also, even when items are locked, I can occasionally still drag them off the hotbar (not sure how exactly to reproduce this, but I've done it twice now)

The user interface was actually the biggest obstacle to convincing myself that DDO was worth playing. Fortunately the underlying gameplay rocks enough that it's easy to look past the UI issues... and I also remind myself that it is probably a far superior interface to any other game that I could be playing for free.

chester99
10-23-2009, 11:05 AM
Stuck in a Loop when Climbing Ladders. Now I don't see this happening all the time, but it's certainly a bug. Ever go to climb a ladder and your character is stuck doing the tango, up and down, at the bottom of it? I've seen it too many times to be passed up without a fix. It seems that your character can get stuck in a loop climbing up a ladder (haven't seen it when going down yet). To resolve this, you stop moving, jump off the ladder, and start back up again. Normally not a big deal, but I'd hate to die due to this bug when running from a swarm of mobs.

this has been the case with every single ladder in the game since launch. from time to time they announce they've "fixed" the problem in some way. it continues to occure on every single ladder in the game. random, only occasional... and amazingly frustrating.

mistyfish603
10-23-2009, 11:13 AM
Good job in compiling all those complaints and getting the points across without coming over as a whiner. I agree with almost everything. Primarily hate the constant jumping about. I love how things move and dodge away but it does seem to much to often.

People will always find some reason to discriminate so I don't mind the whole showing of HP and SP numbers. I'm just mentioning this quote to say I've seen it a lot in WoW for why not to take so and so tank or healer.

Thanimal
10-23-2009, 11:19 AM
If you're excited, then by all means, don't have it shown. The HP and SP numbers should be an option we can toggle on and off. Don't argue for gimping the client for the rest of us just because you have a preference. For all preferences, there should be a toggle. :)

Your logic here is not correct. If this feature is available at all, then HP and SP are now public information. Whether that is good or bad is a matter of opinion, but it's not accurate to say "just let ME turn it on." The consequences are the same. Even if individuals can opt out of it, then anyone who is "not shown" will be assumed to suck (I mean, why else would you hide it! :))

This argument would also have to be extended to cover all sorts of build data. There are tons of times I've wished I could see someone's STR to try to understand how they can have such awful DPS. But this is a slippery slope. I have not the slightest doubt that some people would filter their groups based on any or all stats that were made available.

On balance, this could be a good thing, but it's not accurate to assume it won't happen.

Shyver
10-23-2009, 11:21 AM
You're claiming that "hard/elite end game" pugs would by filtering potential members by HP? Not only is that a guess on your part (since this is a hypothetical situation), but it's also self-defeating. If you're claiming these are hardcore players, then they know that a build makes exponentially more difference than raw HP in DDO. Raw HP without the AC and/or saves to back it up means little. Every hardcore or end-game player knows that. Not getting hit verses getting hit with XX damage each time is a difference of night and day.

People will keep others out of end game groups for what weapons they have and what race they are. HP would just be another filter on end game quests. And for all the good a build can bring to a table, there are quests and instances (especialy in raids) where AC and saves don't matter and it comes down to HP, a good healer, and a solid play stlye. You can't know the playstyle of a person until after you've grouped with them so unless they are the healer, all you will have to go off of is the HP total. The low HP build will loose everytime.

Vistram
10-23-2009, 11:23 AM
Locking toolbars doesn't truly lock them.

Nothing like dragging over the UI in the middle of combat and having your toolbars become all skewed.

This "feature" is so old it predates DDO so I doubt it will ever be addressed.

Align toolbars would be nice too...I hate when they are uneven and spend an anal amount of time trying to get them just so :P

Thanimal
10-23-2009, 11:23 AM
Got another one:

Areas in which maps do not function at all. This drives me completely nuts, and there's quite a few important places like this. An egregious example is nearly all of Tempest Spine (at least the last time I ran it anyhow).

In these areas you can't even figure out your position relative to other players! Grrrrrrr.

ddaedelus
10-23-2009, 11:40 AM
Not solved, sorry.

I've done that. I have three slots used of my 4 so far on the Cannith server. I even have one character that I'm leaving low-level. But my play frequency is much greater than my casual friends, so regardless, I'll be passing them up with even my alts. So this is still a deal breaker for casual grouping (no one likes playing anything for zero XP).

There is certainly a much better compromise here. After all, this system is supposed to prevent power-leveling. So if they make the XP gained very low with large level differences (ie: 80-99% XP reduction), it would certainly still be fun. I'm not asking for much, just a system that doesn't completely gimp casual grouping.

And even if I had more character slots, I have no interest in being an 'alt-aholic'. :p

I find it odd that you'd think that a 80-99% decrease doesn't qualify as completely gimp, or that you'd think that getting ~10-100xp for quest completion is somehow significantly more fun than getting 0xp. If this is all the change required to make you satisfied, then request away, but it seems so little as to be terribly cosmetic to me and not really worth the effort to bother programming.

I would much rather they spend their time making the auction house more useful (add a search filter and fix the sorting).

assamite
10-23-2009, 11:42 AM
. Yaaaa you get used to it :D

Player/Mob/NPC Relational Lag. Playing MMOs, we all have some tolerance level for a little bit of lag between players and mobs. But when I play DDO, I see this lag more pronounced than LOTRO and other MMORPGs. Why is it sub-par in DDO but smooth in LOTRO? I run a pretty clean, low latency Cable (broadband) Internet connection too, with pings typically in the double-digit ms range almost all of the time. And I see this even when soloing in a private instance. This is REALLY bad when players start crossing movement paths with mobs and NPCs (they share collision detections) to the point of rubber-banding a bit. Turbine, can we get rid of the lag to the point where we have smoother mob/player interaction as we already have in LOTRO?
.Have you tried to hit a squishy in PvP yet?

Group Members Show no Points in Status Bars. Huh? Seriously? What genius thought it was ok not to show your party's HP/SP numbers in a party? Even in old tabletop D&D, the party of adventures could know how many hit points each other adventurer had. Yet in DDO our poor Clerics are scratching their hands trying to guess at how much healing to give everyone. Sure, we'll get used to the regulars we group with, but this makes pugs in DDO that much more horrid. Yeah, I'm not looking forward to raiding in DDO... "so, does our main tank have 200 HP left or 300 HP left? What's his max again? 320?" Wait, that's the main tank for the other group. Oh crud, just spam massive cures until his bar is full again." No thank you. :( How do you end-game raiders deal with this now without resorting to a zerg-fest?
.Ya you get used to this to but, I agree I liked the feature in lotro

Excessive Creature Avoidance Movements. Ok, I know we've all experienced this multiple times, across multiple creatures from those annoying Scorpions that burrow way too frequently to the Skeleton warriors than jump around way too much. Certainly the mechanic is there to add some variety. But sometimes it seems their frequency to burrow or jump away is too high. Perhaps some of you with non-melee characters don't experience this as much as melee characters? I understand a jump and burrow a few times during a regular fight, but burrowing or jumping away up to 6 times in a row? Silly. And what's even worse is when mobs do this right before they're about to die. Turbine fixed this excessive avoidance/burrowing in LOTRO. Can we get a simple fix in DDO too? This has nothing to do with a "challenge" and everything to do with "annoyance factor".
. LoLz

VoIP Volume Can't be Controlled. This is one thing that both DDO and LOTRO share: the in-ability to control voice volumes for players individually. I continually have to ask some people to turn up or down their mics because not everyone tests or adjusts their mic levels before deciding to voice chat (grrr!). Even with my voice playback volume level at the highest, I have a very difficult time hearing some people, even with every other in-game sound level down between 1 and 30. LOTRO also suffers from this lack of functionality.
. you know what... I got yelled at for giggling to loud the other day. +1 rezzep

Stuck in a Loop when Climbing Ladders. Now I don't see this happening all the time, but it's certainly a bug. Ever go to climb a ladder and your character is stuck doing the tango, up and down, at the bottom of it? I've seen it too many times to be passed up without a fix. It seems that your character can get stuck in a loop climbing up a ladder (haven't seen it when going down yet). To resolve this, you stop moving, jump off the ladder, and start back up again. Normally not a big deal, but I'd hate to die due to this bug when running from a swarm of mobs.
. You know you like it

No Target Marking. And since I'm on a grouping train of thought, DDO really needs target marking. You know those lovely little "lucky charms", symbols, icons, etc. you can add over top of mobs in other MMOs to mark main targets, mezzed targets, etc.? Doesn't exist in DDO. So we're pretty much saying things like: "Go fight that caster over there... the one over there by the wall... and we'll get these over here. No, not that one! The one with a staff over there... oh, nevermind.". Coming up on a three-year old MMORPG here and still no target marketing?
. IM NOT HAPPY WITH THIS TILL I CAN PUT SUNSHINE AND SKULLS OVER PEOPLES HEADS

Anti-Powerleveling is Overkill, and it's Killing Casual Grouping. I'm sure there are arguments on boths sides of this issue, but the anti-powerleveling function in DDO hurts casual plays more than it prevents "power-leveling". Here's a real example: a couple of my friends and I get together for some questing to help our other friend who's just started DDO. We had no idea an anti-powerleveling feature existed into we ran into this scenario. I was still using my original main (a fighter) and still learning DDO. All of us were. So we didn't bother checking the Quest XP panel since we were just casually helping a friend with one of his quests. Now, granted he could easily do this quest alone. It was an easy one in the Harbor. But we were interested in grouping up to spend some quality time together. So we had fun and completed a long quest. At the end our friend noticed he received no XP for finishing the quest. So we all check our Quest XP panel and sure enough, he got the power-leveling notice. Here's the rub: there was no warning about this on our screens. He might have received a warning, but since he's new to DDO he might have missed it. We were level 7 and 8 at the time, and he was level 3, so the 5 level difference was there. Boom, instant disappointment, instant nerf. This friend who's new is a casual player, so he doesn't get to spend much time on DDO. And of course although we did have fun, he did get the favor for it, and we all got loot (even if junk for the level), he received no XP and therefore it was a waste of time when earning XP is involved. Now, I have no idea how to fix this system, but one thing I do know: the anti power-leveling features in DDO are hurting regular players who don't "power-level". And they do so without sufficient warning to the higher levels in the party. There's nothing wrong with an XP reduction (ie: 75% XP loss) for grouping with out of level ranges, but removing all XP for 5 levels difference? Overkill. We are now forced to quest apart since our friends are of different level ranges than us. That's a game-breaking deal for casual grouping. To make it even worse, the quest level is used instead of the adjusted quest level (ie: Hard and Elite mode) when calculating this. Thanks Turbine for gimping the very reason why I joined DDO: to group-up and spend time with people who were friends even before playing DDO.
.This is a touchy subject. I think the PL option should be there for people who want to use it. Being lvl 20 im forced to roll new toons to play with the new people i get to play the game. I hate rolling new toons, it gets old after about 30+ times. Let me PL them turbine *beg* Pleeeaaaase.

Mobs Run to the First-Sighting Location. I'm sure you're run at a mob to attack it, only to have it run past you to the location where it first spotted you. As if it was blind that you're running right past it, even if you whack it once? Broken AI that could benefit from a bit of tweaking.
. OMFG YES!!! I hate that so much. It makes me want to chew glass every time it happens.

Buffs Gone When Switching Instances (submitted by MissErres (http://forums.ddo.com/showpost.php?p=2504542&postcount=11)). But I wanted to keep that nice little GH to use when selling stuff after a quest. I understand and like the whole "full health/mana" when finishing out of a quest. But if I'm headed directly into a public instance anyway (as opposed to next chapter or slayer area), I'll gladly skip the health/mana refill if I can keep my buffs. Please? Maybe?
.I miss this, it used to be that way

Mailbox Missing Functions (submitted by Absolute-Omniscience (http://forums.ddo.com/showpost.php?p=2504942&postcount=17)). Mailbox doesn't have a "Delete all" button for normal messages, only for those from unconfirmed users. This is a real pain when mailing to haggle bots. Mailbox doesn't have an "Empty all" button.
.Ive always wondered why the tab i never look at is more convenient then the one i spend 20-30 mins a day deleting everything. Another thing is not being able to mail multiple items. Neither DDO or LOTRO has this feature.

Very observant you

Quarks
10-23-2009, 12:00 PM
Very good post! Definitely +1 Rep.
In my opinion, this one should be kept on the top page by everyone who agrees as a list for Devs to look at every now and then.

There are very few points I don't agree with.

1.) SP/HP showing. This has been stated by enough people already. Bad idea in my opinion.
2.) Powerlevelling thing. Very strongly disagree. If you have friends that are casual players and you want to play with their low level chars then, like someone said before, create a dedicated character to play with them. In your response to that you stated that you outlevel them quickly even with your alts. I disagree. This is not the definition of a dedicated character, which would be a character you ONLY take out to play with them, so there's no chance of outlevelling.
3.) Target marking is unnecessary in my opinion, but it wouldn't bother me if it was introduced.

Shamurai
10-23-2009, 12:10 PM
Ooh what burns my noodles is when something on one of your hot bars mysteriously dissappears, and no I don't mean a depleted scroll stack, wand or outta pots of that type, I mean a clickie that still has charges... or a weapons set. I don't even know how to "recreate" the issue because it only seems to happen in a big fight when I need it NOT to happen the most... I know others have experienced this because when I lament on it after the fightin VC I've heard "yeah I hate when that happens".

Gorstag
10-23-2009, 12:16 PM
Amazing that a noob could write such a detailed list. Nice job and +1 rep.

Draccus
10-23-2009, 12:23 PM
I didn't see this listed so I'll add it. Apologies if it's a repeat:

Mouse-over item descriptions sometimes disappearing as soon as they appear. Sometimes it works as it should, and the item details stay visible until I move the mouse off the icon. But often, they blink in and out almost instantly, forcing me to use the examine key and then manually close the window.

Shamurai
10-23-2009, 12:40 PM

Mouse-over item descriptions sometimes disappearing as soon as they appear. Sometimes it works as it should, and the item details stay visible until I move the mouse off the icon. But often, they blink in and out almost instantly, forcing me to use the examine key and then manually close the window.

This used to happen to me all the time especially on lower resolutions.. I found that if I moved say the Invy box to the left side of the screen the descriptions will appear just fine on the right... but then I went to a higher res setting (so I could fit more hotbars on the bar like I've sen in the vets screenshots) and problem solved!

cipher_nemo4
10-23-2009, 10:59 PM
Thanks for all of the really good additions! This thread has taken on a nice bit of community flavor since I originally made this list. I want to thank you all for the great reception so far! As a result, it is taking a much less personal and more community-focused direction (which is great!). I hope that it will help bring us together as a subscriber base to share the annoyances, awkward oddities, or bugs that we would like to see addressed in future patches, updates, etc. I know that some of these items will by important for some and trivial for others. For the truly debatable items where we can't reach a "Rough Consensus (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consensus_decision-making)", I've moved them into their own list below the generally agreed upon annoyances. I'm flexible and willing to weed out the truly debatable ones.

I've had issues with the sounds not working too. Mostly it's the breakables, it's weird because I'll hear no sound on 4 or 5 breakables, then run to the other side of the room and I get sound on the next breakable.

Sometimes I lose sound on the buffs, like bull strength and fox's cunning, I'll see the animation but get no sound. I have this issue with EAX turned on or off, it's just random as too when it happens.

I usually keep it on Generic Software for the sound, but when I switch it to my sound card with hardware support, the EAX sounds MUCH better, but I lose the DM voice overs...

Odd, but good to know I'm not alone on that one. :) I'll update the annoyance item to include your findings as well. I've also noticed the no sounds with buffs sometimes, but it's rare. I completely forgot about those sounds missing sometimes too.

Why can't I map a keyboard command (in this case I'd like to use CTRL-L) to toggle the lock/unlock of items in hotbars?

Actually, you can use the default, which I think is Ctrl and the '=' equals sign (Ctrl-=). I'm not sure if it's mappable or not. If you can't find it, let me know and I can look it up for you. But I still added your point, just revised it to state that not all UI functionality is mappable with a keybinding. I know some functionality doesn't exist as such, but I'd have to think about the UI a bit before I can remember which ones are not there.

The user interface was actually the biggest obstacle to convincing myself that DDO was worth playing. Fortunately the underlying gameplay rocks enough that it's easy to look past the UI issues... and I also remind myself that it is probably a far superior interface to any other game that I could be playing for free.

Absolutely! :) It was a stumbling block for me, but with some help from the community for tips and tricks here or there, and with a lot of beating up the UI to get it to kinda do what I want, I'm mildly content with most of it. Still no where near ideal, but manageable. That and I think I'm accustomed to it now, so less fighting it, hehehe.

Good job in compiling all those complaints and getting the points across without coming over as a whiner.

Amazing that a noob could write such a detailed list. Nice job and +1 rep.

Thanks, I'll take those as compliments. :) Yes, I'm still a DDO "noob" but I'm also compulsive, a fast MMO learner, and a completionist to boot. So I'm very detail-oriented when playing DDO. I can't bring myself to pass up any quest bonus, lol.

Locking toolbars doesn't truly lock them. (...)

Added, thanks!

Got another one: Areas in which maps do not function at all.

Awesome, thanks! I added it. I haven't experienced it yet, so I'll take your word for it. I've seen that plenty of times in LOTRO too when they do updates and it messes with the radar/map and seeing other kinship (party) members' locations.

I find it odd that you'd think that a 80-99% decrease doesn't qualify as completely gimp, or that you'd think that getting ~10-100xp for quest completion is somehow significantly more fun than getting 0xp. If this is all the change required to make you satisfied, then request away, but it seems (...)

Eh, to each his own then. :) This is one of the three points I moved into a new debatable list below the original list in my post. It seems there's not a consensus here so far in this thread to support my interest in it, so in favor of trying to make this list more community-focused, I've bumped it down into that debatable category. Thanks for all of the feedback so far.

But this is a slippery slope. I have not the slightest doubt that some people would filter their groups based on any or all stats that were made available.

People will keep others out of end game groups for what weapons they have and what race they are. HP would just be another filter on end game quests.

And same with those points. I've moved them into a debatable list separate from the other annoyances list. Thanks!

Very observant you

Thanks! And yes, I do get a chuckle out of the climbing stairs tango dance. ;) I just hope it doesn't happen to me again when the situation is more dire, running from mobs for my life.

Very good post! Definitely +1 Rep.
In my opinion, this one should be kept on the top page by everyone who agrees as a list for Devs to look at every now and then.

Thanks! That would be awesome. In general, I'm now focusing this list towards what the community sees for rough consensus. Hopefully that will help us come together to request fixes as a group instead of isolated individuals and/or threads (which are still great for discussion about the items).

There are very few points I don't agree with.

1.) SP/HP showing. This has been stated by enough people already. Bad idea in my opinion.
2.) Powerlevelling thing. Very strongly disagree. If you have friends that are casual players and you want to play with their low level chars then, like someone said before, create a dedicated character to play with them. In your response to that you stated that you outlevel them quickly even with your alts. I disagree. This is not the definition of a dedicated character, which would be a character you ONLY take out to play with them, so there's no chance of outlevelling.
3.) Target marking is unnecessary in my opinion, but it wouldn't bother me if it was introduced.

You've echoed what others have mentioned too. I've moved these points into a new debatable list since we don't all agree on them... at least not in the way they're currently presented, discussed, or proposed to be changed. Perhaps compromise will help on this items, but for now, it's probably better to focus on what we agree is annoying to get those as top priority to fix. :)

Ooh what burns my noodles is when something on one of your hot bars mysteriously dissappears (...)

Thanks! Added. :)

No worries. And I don't think it was there, so I added it. Thanks! :)

Thanimal
10-24-2009, 06:12 PM
Ok, now some other people need to post some good stuff so that I can give Cipher rep again!!

Seriously, thanks for "maintaining" this. I hope it leads this game toward the Utter Awesomeness(TM) that it could achieve.

NinetyNineTails
10-25-2009, 01:08 AM
You know what I want? I want a 30 day squelch. I don't want to permanently mute the poor noobs who don't know and don't quite know enough to care that nobody, nobody nobody nobody, wants to buy their masterwork whatevers. But I do want to make them go away for 30 days. And if they are still playing in 30 days, I'll listen to see if they've gotten a clue.

stormsoul
10-25-2009, 05:34 AM
Friends list is not shared across characters.

Hello, my name is Stormsoul, and I am an altaholic... and I absolutely hate either trying to manually sync friends lists between characters, or just not doing it and losing track of some of them.

I can see some people wanting an option for this, for shared-access accounts or RP reasons, so pop a checkbox for it in Options.

MissErres
10-25-2009, 05:38 AM
Friends list is not shared across characters.

Hello, my name is Stormsoul, and I am an altaholic... and I absolutely hate either trying to manually sync friends lists between characters, or just not doing it and losing track of some of them.

I can see some people wanting an option for this, for shared-access accounts or RP reasons, so pop a checkbox for it in Options.

Hit the export button. Log out. Log in atl. Go to friends list. Hit the import button. Voila! Same list. ;)

stormsoul
10-25-2009, 05:46 AM
Hit the export button. Log out. Log in atl. Go to friends list. Hit the import button. Voila! Same list. ;)

It's the list of annoyances, and that's.... well, annoying ;)

I did know that, but thanks for the heads up anyhow, and it's a good pointer for anyone new-ish that might be perusing :)

MissErres
10-25-2009, 05:48 AM
It's the list of annoyances, and that's.... well, annoying ;)

I did know that, but thanks for the heads up anyhow, and it's a good pointer for anyone new-ish that might be perusing :)

Good point. :o

cipher_nemo4
10-25-2009, 12:15 PM
I updated the list again. I also added Cedwin's comments about the sporadic, missing sounds to my item on it (which I forgot to update earlier).

You know what I want? I want a 30 day squelch. (...)

I added this. I don't mind squelching annoying people permanently, etc., but I usually don't squelch anyone who's clueless and needs some help. But I can see how this would be an annoyance to others since you just want to squelch them for a while until they can get into the swing of things in DDO.

Friends list is not shared across characters. (...)

Ok, that's added. Thanks! :)

DANTEIL
10-25-2009, 05:29 PM
I don't think this is in your original list, and a search turns up several old threads devoted to this idea, so this is not original to me. However, this still appears to be unimplemented:

I would like to see a way to export your character information so that you can have offline access to your character stats and info. Right now, when I read the various build suggestions on this forum, I have no way (or memory!) to compare what my character looks like with other people's ideas. It would also be good for inventory.

cipher_nemo4
10-27-2009, 11:47 AM
I would like to see a way to export your character information so that you can have offline access to your character stats and info. Right now, when I read the various build suggestions on this forum, I have no way (or memory!) to compare what my character looks like with other people's ideas. It would also be good for inventory.

You can view your character on my.ddo.com.

For example, a character named "Bob" on the Cannith server would be: http://my.ddo.com/character/cannith/bob/

You can't view your inventory, but you an view your stats and equipped items/gear. Though it does seem horribly out-of-date. :(

DANTEIL
10-27-2009, 12:01 PM
You can view your character on my.ddo.com.

For example, a character named "Bob" on the Cannith server would be: http://my.ddo.com/character/cannith/bob/

You can't view your inventory, but you an view your stats and equipped items/gear. Though it does seem horribly out-of-date. :(

Hrm, thanks for pointing that out! Interesting feature, although yes it seems very incomplete. But nice to know nonetheless.

spunkrawker
10-27-2009, 12:21 PM
Great list. I agree with just about everything on there.

I would add...
Reward loot tables that offer you 2 or 3 of the exact same item.

I realize the loot tables are random, but it can't be too difficult to code to prevent duplication.

cipher_nemo4
10-27-2009, 02:14 PM
Great list. I agree with just about everything on there.

I would add...
Reward loot tables that offer you 2 or 3 of the exact same item.

I realize the loot tables are random, but it can't be too difficult to code to prevent duplication.

Thanks! :) I added that. I have seen this too. I've never seen 3 of the same thing, but I've seen duplicates many times. I hope I never see triplicates. :(

Duskslayer
10-27-2009, 03:39 PM
/signed.

cipher_nemo4
10-27-2009, 05:09 PM
I added a new one I found: Map Panel Size Reset after visiting Sorrowdusk Isle

Wudwaen
10-28-2009, 01:43 PM
I agree with or defer to the judgment of my fellow players on all the issues about which I did not comment as given. Below are some comments on the OP intended to suggest ideas for fixing things fixable or improvable:

11) Excessive Creature Avoidance Movements: This is a real issue, but I think it stems from a simple difficulty of speed in general. Things are set to move at too quick an x/y ratio. I play GW. A difference I noted immediately is in the movement rate. In GW I can use the Run key, target (in which case the avatar stops and casts/attacks activated skill), and engage. In DDO, and as far as I can remember LoTRO this is not the case - Running continues well passed anything you would want to target and targetting does not seem to work. Becasue of the extreme speed and total dependence on WASD, I spend all of my time controlling move with continuous pressure on the W key. This leaves me the mouse ball to control direction and roughly two finger positions I can activate skills with - if I want half a chance of staying in range of or facing with the target. The same thing that makes my maneuvering and skill use very unpleasant gaming also makes the foe seem to Excessively pop-hop about - the x/y ratio and timing ques are too fast. Increase the que (slow it down by) 10 to 15% and it will be a much more exciting and playable game for the general public and the player who plays to relax and wind down from a long day.

13) Guild Panel is Lacking Vital Functionality: Something else is the complete separation of PCs. I do not know how much of an issue this would be. In theory, each account was completely tied to an addy - the game was only licensed to play on one machine by one person. Now with unlimited play that is so grayed as to be white washed. However, one thing that was nice in the GW guild roster was only having to have one PC join - then all PCs from that account appeared as that person in roster. IE. If I came into the guild on PC called John Smith and was now playing James Short the roster would show: John Smith (James Short). Our brand new guild looks very full because of all our new characters being listed. It seems to me that saving all PCs on a server to the same guild call as maybe an array or string or whatever is in use now would be handier than having to process all the additional calls. On the other hand, now that the game is FTP - we will have those with several characters on the same computer played by different siblings with different in game friends and guild interests. Not sure, but it is nice to just join up once.

23) Ranged Mobs keep attacking even if LoS is broken: Well, since they have unlimited arrows, and seemingly unlimited spell points - really what do they care? But yes, this is an AI Fail problem - because the foe never breaks agro and continues pummeling unlimited resources without having to ever search out and reacquire target - as human characters do, there is a general lack of "suspension of disbelief." The credibility of the fantasy is broken by this lack of consideration for what is fundamental to the real world. Consider The Swiped Signet - where they Never lose agro or target. You can be behind a pillar, under a platform, swimming in the dark, deep underwater, hidden, invisible, etc. and they will continue to target with unlimited resources - while never having to take time to reaquire their target lock.

24) Mobs Run to the First-Sighting Location: I thought this was the mobs going after the squishies in the party but now that I think about it - you are right. The AI does not apparently have the resources/coding to update. I had not seen this problem in BG, NwN, GW, etc.

30) Mobs Don't Lose Aggro even if Target is 'Lost': This is incredibly irritating. And it makes quests like Where there is Smoke even harder for the option of saving the dogs. If you agro one dog you seemingly agro all of them. But if you befriend one dog, then the dog in the next camp apparently turns friendly to you and dies fighting the orcs before you can get there. This is an issue with the faction system and with target acquisition and retention. Agro is a call against faction rating, friendly, neutral, or hostile. I understand the excessively irritating white light that indicates the lion, orc, whatever, has realized it is outside of its area and it suddenly returns FULLY HEALED to its spawn point. I can even understand a difference between explorable areas and dungeon craws where monsters are prepared to be violent for eternity while you are in Their Home. However, if they lose line of sight they need to go to a search routine. If they lose the search 1-3 times (random for effect?) they need to go to unaggroed (but targettable status). And they shouldnt be all ubered out on search just to sadistically make escapes and near misses improbable (I said ImPROBABLE). There should be a relative good probability for getting an escape. As it is, either your group can overpower everything on contact and you can finish the mission or you have to have several deaths and re-entries. Without this change there is no middle ground.

35) Items Disappear Sometimes from Hotbars: GW gets away from this by having the hot bars locked in the play screen and appear in the bottom of the skill choice screen. The difficulty is that if Turbine does this it may require the appearance of the optional 20 bars in the bottom of every screen where in an item may come from that might be placed in your hot bars. This means at the bottom of skills, feats, spells, and inventory pages. It may simply not be possible. What happens, and I have seen it happen myself, is that in the speed of activating skills, items, etc. the player unintententionally drags and drops the icon off the bar with the curser - End effect: vannished whatever it was you really needed to be using... It is sad, and in the most crittical moments horrifying, lol. Especially since the avatars (PC and NPC) move too fast.

II. Two things that are not in DDO that I absolutely miss from GW are Target Calling and Pinging. In GW, as a party approaches a mob, the first person to spot the most important foe (usually either the Nuker or the Healer) calls the target by high-lighting and holding ctrl while hitting the attack button. This causes a visual highlight of the target, an audible ping, and radians off the target in the mini-map. It also sets the target of all party members too that foe unless they actively change it by attacking something else. We can also self-target and ping in the same way, which would be incredibly useful when someone says over VoIP, "Igot the chest here." "Where." "Here where I am standing." "Where is that?" "Right here by the chest" . . .

III. Anti-power Leveling is an issue for all MMOs. And here is the real marketing problem for it: Power leveled players don't learn enough about the game to play well for others at the levels they are dumped out at. The way this has been handled has been assanine. Instead of punishing the new player who needs assist in using their skills with those who know what they are doing, the experienced player should be able to take a set-back to play at an acceptable level with the New Ugly Guy (NUG), their friend. MMOs are meant to be a social game. Anti-powerleveling tactics in MMOs have been aimed at punishing new players and friends of experienced players, so that the new players no longer want to play or the old players must destroy their existing character of two years to run with their friend who finally decided to try their first MMO. WHAT? There should be an option so that existing characters can cut back to previous levels in order to play with their friends and guildies without anyone getting hurt or penalized. DDO is perfect for this, it already includes a system for dealing with level loss due to damage from level draining effects. So, make it optional for players whose level is higher than that for which the dungeon is rated, then let them work at the chosen level and receive rewards at that level.

Further, I am here today because the Sarlona Server seems to be down. I don't know if it is down or I am just being excluded as merely a premium player for someone else. It would be nice if there was a message on forum, on the home page, or when logging in which would state the server or servers are down - instead of Can't return null string void or some such - and only DDO seems to be affected by whatever it is.

Edit: Ok, apparently we had a major update today. That is nifty-neato. Now. Would anyone care to create the instant update upon logging in function. That too is a really nifty-neato function.

cipher_nemo4
10-28-2009, 03:37 PM
Wudwaen, thanks, I'll add a condensed version of your comments to the points soon. :)

Josh
10-28-2009, 03:42 PM
Got another one:

Areas in which maps do not function at all. This drives me completely nuts, and there's quite a few important places like this. An egregious example is nearly all of Tempest Spine (at least the last time I ran it anyhow).

In these areas you can't even figure out your position relative to other players! Grrrrrrr.

Good point. The maps in this game have been awful since day one. They're essentially useless. I mean, a 2D map for a 3D level? Really? A better map system would be much appreciated.

Wudwaen
10-30-2009, 07:14 PM
Good point. The maps in this game have been awful since day one. They're essentially useless. I mean, a 2D map for a 3D level? Really? A better map system would be much appreciated.

ROFLMAO - yeah, you would think with the number of Trigonometry specialists maintained by any number of houses for maintenance of lightening rail trajectories, sea and air ships, and various means of scrying that something interesting, accurate, functional, and unique would have been developed. Although frankly, I like the photo enhanced 1825 look.

Colryn
10-31-2009, 12:07 AM
/sign /agree

I didn't see a couple things I personally find annoying in DDO & wondering if they might be added to the list. Also, I love DDO and nothing wrong with hopes of it being perfect someday, hehe.

1)Bladed weapons are always held sideways and not positioning the blade being parallel to the body of the character properly.

2)Still no housing or guildhalls(not many mmo's anymore don't have this as a feature)

3)No environment interaction, i.e; sitting in chairs or fishing in water

4)STILL no cosmetic costumes or appearance tabs for wearing clothes or armor to fit the RP style of your character. This is D&D for crying out loud. It's supposed to be the very idea of customized characters.

5)Shops in Stormreach sell armor for all classes but no robes or clothe clothes for spellcasters.

6)The ships in any of the harbors need some sort of animation or actually functioned, going to and from other ports
like in some mmo's I won't mention. The seas in DDO are the calmest seas I have ever seen, lol.

7)No cloaks?! Lotro has some of the best cloaks out there, yet DDO has ZERO? BTW the current hoods are horrible. The hoods in Lotro beta looked better and yet they managed to evolve into a lot better version before release.

8)No crafting and no armor customization. No it doesn't mean to do something simple and add mono-chromatic color schemes for a whole suit of armor, making the character look like a blue power ranger or something...

I would hope Turbine would want to add detail in allowing more customization for players for their appearance and gear like in Lotro. Allowing the name of their company to be known to be consistant and not treat DDO like the step-child of it's IP's.

Wudwaen
10-31-2009, 12:46 AM
Colryn,

I agree. There are elements of D&D that are completely missing. And I have to admit that some of my greatest wastes of time were creating theme sets for my characters in other D&D based games. Especially, where fan based material was added that allowed for a range of clothes styles (dresses, tabbards with emblems, kilts, etc.) I would pick a theme such as ice, night, light, storm, etc. and carefully pick colors for the different materials of the armor to accent and express that theme. (Both my parents are art majors, so that is something I sort of grew up doing.) While I understand that DDO does not expressly promote RP - they passively discourage it by not making allowances for things needed to perform it. (The emotes list is sooooooo small, and missing things like bowhead, worship, etc. that I am used to from other games.) The lack of personalization in appearance isn't limited just to RP - a lot of people like controlling the appearance of their fantasy - and want it more consistent than their reality.

Each of the nations and houses could be afforded certain motifs, worked in as borders on various clothes (something Gothic for Deneith, something baroque for vanquished Cyre/Cannith, etc.) The normal materials (metal, wood, cloth, leather, silk, etc.) could be dyeable and things like Darkweave and Glamourweave would have certain values. Right now, my highest level character is running around in pajamas and saari with flip flops. :(. I keep waiting for Lennon to hand me bills to pass out to garner votes against Nixon. It certainly does not reflect what I think of as my character.

moorewr
10-31-2009, 08:05 AM
II. Two things that are not in DDO that I absolutely miss from GW are Target Calling and Pinging. In GW, as a party approaches a mob, the first person to spot the most important foe (usually either the Nuker or the Healer) calls the target by high-lighting and holding ctrl while hitting the attack button. This causes a visual highlight of the target, an audible ping, and radians off the target in the mini-map. It also sets the target of all party members too that foe unless they actively change it by attacking something else. We can also self-target and ping in the same way, which would be incredibly useful when someone says over VoIP, "Igot the chest here." "Where." "Here where I am standing." "Where is that?" "Right here by the chest" . . .

I have to put in a no-vote for this. I've seen this in other games, and I feel that unless your party members are envisioned as carrying reality-augmenting headsets, etc. it detracts from the realism of combat.

If you have trouble coordinating your attacks you could always have your "target designator" drop a debuff or attack spell on your chosen victim.. Bane or Curse would "mark" them quite nicely without going outside the available resources of the characters.

Colryn
10-31-2009, 10:04 AM
Colryn,

I agree. There are elements of D&D that are completely missing. And I have to admit that some of my greatest wastes of time were creating theme sets for my characters in other D&D based games. Especially, where fan based material was added that allowed for a range of clothes styles (dresses, tabbards with emblems, kilts, etc.) I would pick a theme such as ice, night, light, storm, etc. and carefully pick colors for the different materials of the armor to accent and express that theme. (Both my parents are art majors, so that is something I sort of grew up doing.) While I understand that DDO does not expressly promote RP - they passively discourage it by not making allowances for things needed to perform it. (The emotes list is sooooooo small, and missing things like bowhead, worship, etc. that I am used to from other games.) The lack of personalization in appearance isn't limited just to RP - a lot of people like controlling the appearance of their fantasy - and want it more consistent than their reality.

Each of the nations and houses could be afforded certain motifs, worked in as borders on various clothes (something Gothic for Deneith, something baroque for vanquished Cyre/Cannith, etc.) The normal materials (metal, wood, cloth, leather, silk, etc.) could be dyeable and things like Darkweave and Glamourweave would have certain values. Right now, my highest level character is running around in pajamas and saari with flip flops. :(. I keep waiting for Lennon to hand me bills to pass out to garner votes against Nixon. It certainly does not reflect what I think of as my character.

I couldn't agree more with the need for the detail needed in customizing a character's appearance. Whether a gamer likes to RP or not, everyone likes their character to have a certain appearance and not the same look as 2mill other fighters at your same level. I am hoping that when the legal case settles with Atari maybe that will spark new life in Turbine and they will focus on the fans' wants that stuck with DDO so far.

Wudwaen
10-31-2009, 12:16 PM
I couldn't agree more with the need for the detail needed in customizing a character's appearance. Whether a gamer likes to RP or not, everyone likes their character to have a certain appearance and not the same look as 2mill other fighters at your same level. I am hoping that when the legal case settles with Atari maybe that will spark new life in Turbine and they will focus on the fans' wants that stuck with DDO so far.

I wasn't aware of the Legal case, but something that could be developed with Wizards and Baker is livery specific uniforms. This is something not generally done in MMOs, part of the "what in the world is RP" syndrome most have. But customized outfits that say where one's allegiances are: Robes, Armors, etc. specific to house, nation, or power group. Armor specific to the Emerald Claw, Maruk Gaash'kala (as we are getting half-orcs soon), Wardens of the Wood, different Dwarf clans, delicate ornate armors from Valenar, and even pre-war Gallifarian traditional pieces. Again, there is a difference in encouraging RP play through active controls that require it, and discouraging it by neglecting those props it requires.

Colryn
10-31-2009, 12:50 PM
I wasn't aware of the Legal case, but something that could be developed with Wizards and Baker is livery specific uniforms. This is something not generally done in MMOs, part of the "what in the world is RP" syndrome most have. But customized outfits that say where one's allegiances are: Robes, Armors, etc. specific to house, nation, or power group. Armor specific to the Emerald Claw, Maruk Gaash'kala (as we are getting half-orcs soon), Wardens of the Wood, different Dwarf clans, delicate ornate armors from Valenar, and even pre-war Gallifarian traditional pieces. Again, there is a difference in encouraging RP play through active controls that require it, and discouraging it by neglecting those props it requires.

I'm all for getting more RP props and tools for it like more emotes, etc. But I hope if they add house insignias or clan tabards, etc. that they add guildhalls at the same time. A whole expansion there could be made around adding guildhalls, guild insignias to wear, revamped guild system with ranking and titles, etc. and add a better pvp system with it for guild tournement battles or something similar.

Chaosprism
11-02-2009, 07:59 AM
Stuck in a Loop when Climbing Ladders.
This one is about 100x better than it use to be. Send in a bug report with your location when on the ladder causing the hitching. They fix a couple ladders every update I think.

Hitching seems to be a lag thing, I am forever failing to jump out of the water onto the rims of edges. Due to my lagtime.

The waterworks trap passage with the named trog is the one that always happens. Even if have easily the jump value I fail to jump up. And it rubber bands me into the water.

#33 hits the nail on the head for me, well a lot do, great list... +1 rep

Where are the double weapons? Quarterstaff animation is alone there... that animation could support double scimitars (eberron specific) dire mauls, double-swords, double-axes,. Urogosh, Gnomic HookHammers

dusty991
11-02-2009, 08:49 AM
i didnt see anything about how the mobs go straight after hirelings they cant possibly see.like the cleric i purposely hid behind a boulder,or the one i left many paces behind me.And alot of mobs dont have much intelligence,and some have none,but yet they still seem to go after the hirelings first.They aint smart enough to even know what a threat is, let alone know who the greatest threat is.And why doesnt my wiz hireling have a search button? And why is there no rogue after lvl 1 ? And when they die,should i really have to select the rez shrine and tell them to use it 10 times b4 they actually do. And 1 more thing,stop them from using their mana pots until they r down to 25 to 33 %.i hate when they try to stay topped off all the time.after all,they can use rest shrines too.

Wudwaen
11-02-2009, 10:00 AM
i didnt see anything about how the mobs go straight after hirelings they cant possibly see.like the cleric i purposely hid behind a boulder,or the one i left many paces behind me.And alot of mobs dont have much intelligence,and some have none,but yet they still seem to go after the hirelings first.They aint smart enough to even know what a threat is, let alone know who the greatest threat is.And why doesnt my wiz hireling have a search button? And why is there no rogue after lvl 1 ? And when they die,should i really have to select the rez shrine and tell them to use it 10 times b4 they actually do. And 1 more thing,stop them from using their mana pots until they r down to 25 to 33 %.i hate when they try to stay topped off all the time.after all,they can use rest shrines too.

Having been a DM for many years, smarts is not the only thing I consider when determining if a monster will go after a particular tasty treat. It's experience, cunning (wisdom), sense of smell, listening - which we rarely take to any degree and hardly use in RL, that all need to be considered... Do I believe the Dev's have all that worked into the encounter equations, O WELL NO, but - intel isn't the only thing to consider on why an animal ques to a target. (Tell your cleric to bathe once in awhile. Afterall, if the fighters must before we let them out of the sewer, <shrugs>)

On the no rogue, it might be because of the difficulty of pathing and play. Some trap controls are on the other side of the trap. That presents a problem for pushing the NPC through unscathed.

Frankly, my Wiz is maxed on his search. In other D&D games this would have been sufficient for run of the mill stuff. But here it is useless after low levels. The requirements to spot things in dungeons are so high that without it being a primary function, it is useless to bother. If I were to remake my Wiz the points would go elsewhere.

Colryn
11-02-2009, 11:36 AM
I totally agree about the hirelings problem with having to repeatedly tell them over and over to use the shrine and a lot of other commands have the same issue. Couple other issues I have are;

1)Sheathe weapon command is useless because as soon as you click on a npc or door, the weapons come out and swing...talk about bad coding.

2)Clicking on doors in general shouldn't cause the character to swing at the door, making it appear the door has holes in it when you're trying to open the door, not smash it.

3)Would like to have visible sheathed weapons w/better animations and not appearing to stick weapons into the character's spine for hiding when using sheathe weapon command.

4)Cleric combat melee animation NEEDS severely upgraded because he/she only has ONE directional swing animation over and over and over. Clerics aren't known for combat, true, but DDO is supposed to be so customizable with character creation that the animations need upgraded with more than one swing.

5)Clothing or armor items looted need to appear visually on the character when worn. They have individual pics in the inventory of the item's appearance but never displays on the character when worn. It makes the game seem very last century not showing visuals of items worn and having everyone look like everyone else at their same level and class.

moorewr
11-02-2009, 11:40 AM
1)Sheathe weapon command is useless because as soon as you click on a npc or door, the weapons come out and swing...talk about bad coding.

Yes! This is my #1 social annoyance in DDO.

I'd like weapons to sheathe automatically when you zone into a public instance.

Prism
11-02-2009, 09:00 PM
Unable to Hit Stationary Mobs until 'Active'. Ever run up to a stationary mob and start whacking away at it only to Miss, Miss, Miss until it becomes 'active'? By stationary, I mean it doesn't move/roam around until it sees a player. This certainly annoys me, and it doesn't happen with all creatures. Some I can whack a bit while they go through their 'wake-up' animation (ie: lions and some beasts), and others I have to wait for the creature to finish 'waking-up' before I can even hit it (ie: some hobgoblins, kobolds, etc.).

Going along with this annoyance, there are also some mobs that only 'activate' if you cross a specific point in the environment.

A good low-level example of this is in the Sharn Syndicate quest, Come Out and Slay. There are a number of humanoid mobs standing around Madhand Mulvaney at the end of the quest, but they only become 'active' (and thus, able to be damaged) if you approach from the alley corridor; if you take the shortcut across the rooftop where the Warforged Barbarian is, and drop down from behind, they mobs are standing around in some sort of torpor/hibernation state. They won't take any action, and they can't be targeted or damaged in any way - until you walk through their little crowd and into the corridor, and then come back to face them.

That's really the only part of that quest that I dislike. I mean, you have to hop along the rooftops for a significant portion of the quest anyway. Here I was, thinking I was being tactical and trying to get the drop on the enemies - not knowing that the DM had written certain creatures from an 80s movie (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093493/) into his/her campaign.

entropiccanuck
11-02-2009, 09:09 PM
New to the game, really enjoying it, but sometimes I find it hard to believe the game has been around as long as it has. You summarize most of those nicely.

My current annoyance: DDO Store: A account summary for points. Where did I get points, on which character (if applicable), for what? When did I spend points, which character, what was purchased? Part of this exists, but nothing for how I got points.

cipher_nemo4
11-04-2009, 10:44 AM
Ok, I've gone through the great comments you guys posted here and edited the original post and list to accommodate them. Thanks for sharing all of them! Some I've never experienced, and some jogged my memory quite well. Lots of both big and little frustrations so far.

Below are some comments on the OP intended to suggest ideas for fixing things fixable or improvable:

I took a few of your more salient points and added them to the original post and credited the comments to you. Thanks! :)

/sign /agree

I didn't see a couple things I personally find annoying in DDO & wondering if they might be added to the list. Also, I love DDO and nothing wrong with hopes of it being perfect someday, hehe.

Thanks! :D I added your points. I merged your "cosmetic" one with your "cloak" one since it's about cosmetic items and/or appearance. Turbine added this feature to LOTRO with the "outfit" system. It was a huge help. It made my Lore-master look respectable instead of looking like an ugly pimp (seriously, his gear made him look like a color-challenged pimp).

I have to put in a no-vote for this. I've seen this in other games, and I feel that unless your party members are envisioned as carrying reality-augmenting headsets, etc. it detracts from the realism of combat.

That's already in the controversial/debated list, which is separate from the consensus list. Some want target-marketing (mostly those coming from other MMOs) and some don't want it (long-term DDO players).

#33 hits the nail on the head for me, well a lot do, great list... +1 rep

Thanks! :)

i didnt see anything about how the mobs go straight after hirelings they cant possibly see.like the cleric i purposely hid behind a boulder,or the one i left many paces behind me.And alot of mobs dont have much intelligence,and some have none,but yet they still seem to go after the hirelings first.

Good one! I've noticed that too and it frustrates me to no end!! GRRR! :) Thanks, I've added it.

New to the game, really enjoying it, but sometimes I find it hard to believe the game has been around as long as it has. You summarize most of those nicely.

Thanks! :) Me too. It's obvious to me that Turbine has been polishing LOTRO more since it's their cash cow, yet hardly giving any love to DDO. Now that DDO is Free-2-Play and Turbine is seeing success in micro-transactions, they should be giving us some love with DDO polish.

My current annoyance: DDO Store: A account summary for points. Where did I get points, on which character (if applicable), for what? When did I spend points, which character, what was purchased? Part of this exists, but nothing for how I got points.

I've complained about this in another thread but completely forgot to add that here!! Thanks. :D

cipher_nemo4
01-16-2010, 12:12 AM
Added an item to state that MyDDO is not updating and hasn't been for almost 2 months now (at least for my character). Others report it's delayed to update removed characters, etc., and for others like me, they're just not getting their characters updated at all.

Neptuno
01-18-2010, 09:55 AM
Nice list, i wish id found this earlier.

I'm guessing that these buggs was in the game earlier and if so i now understand why they made the game free to play, when paying for a game no matter if its fun or not, the least thing they should get is less buggs and stops on the road when leveling, im one of those casual players whom rolled several toons and even recruited a friend to the game yet he uninstalled the game since we both realized that we couldnt group because i was higher leveled.

This should be something they could fix, feels abit lonely to play solo all the time or going into constant PuGs and even if i would play with friends it would be boring to NOT lvl or let them wait for me to lvl so neither me or them lose exp on it.

However im still playing this game pretty casual im starting to think that my MMO time is over, the joy isnt as big as it was a couple of years ago but this would be a really awsome game if they worked abit more on it.
Not to bash this game totally but in my opinion it lacks more variety even tho its called (Dungeons) & dragons id love to see more wilderness and PvP and not making Wilderness into a instance, it would be fun to see people all around the wilderness and also killing stuff, i think it would make this game more social and also give new players a view of the other classes playstyle.

megathon
01-22-2010, 11:15 AM
I have one: how about changing the spell description to say whether a buff is single or group instead of just friend/self. There have been a few buffs where I'm thinking "Ok.....Did that hit everyone or just him?".

megathon
01-22-2010, 11:26 AM
Nice list, i wish id found this earlier.
not making Wilderness into a instance, it would be fun to see people all around the wilderness and also killing stuff, i think it would make this game more social and also give new players a view of the other classes playstyle.

The problem is that you would get into a situation like Everquest where a group would get together and camp an area that would have a rare that would randomly spawn or you would have higher levels camping the rares so they could farm them for loot for their lower level characters or just to sell. Another thing is they might have to redo how XP is done in those areas. If they kept the same set up for rares and slayers from the instanced areas you might be waiting for a long time to add that one rare to your list of kills.

Fenrisulven6
01-23-2010, 11:54 AM
Those of us that use controllers don't always have a hand on the mouse. I use a dual stick, so I'm always having to leave the cursor off a "dead" zone [ex: if its resting on a hotbar, I cant attack until I find the cursor and move it off the dead zone]. This often results in "Death By Mouse" and is frustrating.

Please give us options to change the cursor so we can locate it more easily.

thread here:
http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=225027

The current mouse pointer - while very crisp and neat - is very tiny and blends with the UI and overall DDO terrain colors (beige/pale/light brown... hmmm.. ).

Usually, in the heat of a tense fight - I lose track of where my mouse pointer is onscreen. Even though I move it around its too camouflaged to locate fast enough for those critical combat moments.

It would be nice if we could get a set of selectable mouse pointers (small, medium, large) - and perhaps with a choice of colors (similar to dice choices - bright red, noen green, etc) so some of us with slightly less color-perception can track things better.

I keep losing my cursor (little arrow) when there is a lot going on during a DDO fight. It does not actually disappear, but I just lose track of the tiny, brown (read some color of dungeon walls, and marketplace ground), in all of the commotion. This results in a delay in clicking the correct place to heal my party.

I know I can use the hot bar short cut keys, mouse buttons, etc. but I really have all the convenient keys, buttons mapped.

Is there any way to make the cursor different ..like a larger bright orange or yellow arrow? I don't care about reskinning the whole game.. just the cursor.

Losing my mouse pointer when combat begins has been my main UI gripe since I started playing. It's easy to find in the quiet momemnts as it's the only thing moving. With a screen full of mobs, spells, debris and floating numbers of various colours and sizes when I'm desparate for that clicky to save my life, the small, camouflaged mouse pointer is a killer. The eye is good at picking up mocement but when everythings moving the pointer just disappears. I always feel annoyed if I die because of that

This has been one of my main issues since I started playing DDO. I even looked into designing custom skins as I have the skill to do so, but I found no options for changing the pointer's appearance.

NFO
02-25-2010, 12:29 PM
Adventure's Compendium Doesn't always Load. Others have expressed their frustrations with this, as have I. This is a big one. It can happen to anyone, with any character, at any login. Due to unknown forces, the habits of players, and unforeseen Beholder voodoo, some people might never run into this problem. Who knows for sure? Either way, it affects a good number of people right now (as per forum posts), and it also affects me. There doesn't seem to be any pattern to this, but sometimes on login, my adventure's compendium will be blank. Yes, blank... all three tabs, all quest history and all favor points. Needless to say that makes grinding for favor and checking on missed quests extremely frustrating, if not nearly impossible (aside from the tedious task of running around collecting quests and clicking on entrances to see what's left to get). To correct this, a player will have to log out and log in their character again, or even restart the client. Sometimes that doesn't help, and sometimes it fixes it. Regardless, extremely annoying and game-breaking when we actually need to use it.

just want to say that i got the same problem

I also got partial load sometimes, instead of having my full favor, not even half of it show up, all patrons "reset" and of course some quest done on elite now show up as undone ... hmmkay ?

Please fix it!!

Sertrynus
02-25-2010, 12:35 PM
Great thread, for me lack of guild related tools comes to mind (ie. a Guild Bank)

parvo
02-26-2010, 05:58 AM
Really nice list. I have a few disagreements and some of this stuff isn't worth spending time on but a lot of it is genuine annoyance. Consider adding these to the list:

-- Trap spot DC's are broken. Anyone with any spot skill > 0 can spot traps below DC 20. This is a recent bug from an update.
-- Ranged Exploit. No further comment.
-- Crowd Controlled mobs are once again moving around. Four years of this bug popping up?
-- Human type enemies move at ridiculous speeds. All the player type race enemy mobs.
-- Blank quest log. What a pain this is sometimes when it hits your character three or four times in a row. (I think you got this one already, but just want to heartily concur).
-- Spells "white out" on the hot bar when switched out. This makes switching spells more maintenance then it used to be.
-- Pets aggro from very long range. Mobs aggro on pets from much greater distance than they are supposed to.

My list is shorter than yours. Genetics I guess, but more important and functional in nature. Overall, the game is getting sloppy again. Instead of fixing this mess, Turb prefers to work on magic candy cane ice skates and childish easter egg hunts.

Feylina
02-26-2010, 07:31 AM
read through them but didn't see a few. might have missed em as i been up all night

-CC'd mobs that still attack and cast. one of the biggest detriments to the melee classes, survivability wise is that cc'd mobs still cast / attack. still deal damage when they shouldn't. this has been around forever.

-spells not hitting (ray spells), bounce off target (ball spells most notably ball lightning) and aoe buff spells that don't hit the caster ie haste.

-quickly targetting a person and immediately casting a heal spell / repair results in self cast (may be same for a lot of spells)

tired now i think i'll leave you with those and go have a snooze.

Ormindo
02-27-2010, 08:12 AM
Add the quest notices and the unseeable sheathed weapons to your list, and I'm your biggest fan.

Doxmaster
02-27-2010, 05:43 PM
No inflict wands for sale...

bv1771
03-05-2010, 02:22 PM
I wanna add some to the list...
Well I really don't but we cant deny they are there...

My UI is hidden when im incapacitated and I find it hard to control my cleric hireling to heal me -make incapacitation window movable-

It's strange that Im asked if im sure I want to bind the item im picking up in a dungeon when im only with a hireling.

I really hate wasting finishing moves when im not really using them (no target, target far away or even not enough Ki) altough I still lose the Finishing move!
also bugs me when I waste cds the same way (trip, stunning blow etc..)

dkrypt
03-05-2010, 02:49 PM
What a magnificent list.

/signed

SableShadow
03-05-2010, 05:30 PM
Excellent thread!

wgperi
03-07-2010, 10:52 PM
VoIP Volume Can't be Controlled.

Very annoying, it will b so nice when turbine make individual voice controllers possible.

BladedThesis
03-07-2010, 11:32 PM
great thread, too bad turbine doesn't care.

/signed

cipher_nemo4
03-08-2010, 08:23 AM
great thread, too bad turbine doesn't care.

/signed

Yup. It's a shame. I'm playing other MMOs now since Turbine dropped the ball with DDO. They tried to revitalize it with F2P, and gained customers like myself, but then failed to bug fix or make needed changes. Instead they just pump out new content to try to grin more money out of it.

Even the my.ddo.com doesn't have my character updated since November 2009. Lovely. :rolleyes:

Lightbladez
03-08-2010, 09:07 AM
Hello,

I've seen and commented to myself on almost every single item listed here, so I'm sure happy others have also experienced them. I thought I might of been just too picky or too much of a nag to bring them up. Thanks for this great post.
I'd say my biggest annoyance with the game is the 'rubber band effect' that you mentioned. Personally I called it 'catch up lag' since I couldn't really understand the mechanics behind why these mobs kept running past me, then sliding back over at light speed to me.
Some deny this happens to them, but I have a hard time believing they've never encountered it. Or they simply tell you to buy more RAM or a new PC for that matter. Mine is more than capable of playing this game without having lag issues. They must work for the computer company. hehe

akilleraj
03-23-2010, 10:07 PM
For your consideration; Nothing is worse than having just spent X amount of TP on SP pots, only to click and consume them for no effect. Also seems to be a problem with SP restore clickies. But it really burns me when I paid REAL MONEY for them.

gx21v9z4vcq6
03-27-2010, 11:48 PM
7. Auction House Sorts Incorrectly. Sure, every page of the AH can sort via any column. But across all pages or any result set? Isn't going to happen. So if we're sorting by Buyout, we have to click through every single page to find the range of items we want instead of getting it on the first or last, smaller set of pages? You know, Turbine fixed this with LOTRO a long time ago. Still broken in DDO.

8. Auction House has no Search! Ok, this is a fundamental feature and in almost every other auction house out there. Yet we don't have it in DDO? Turbine has this functionality in LOTRO's auction house. Why can't we get it here? Say, for example, I want to find all items on the AH at any given time that have a haggling bonus. I could find what I'm looking for by searching for "of Haggling". But no, I have to go through all of the categories and "browse" for items there. What a waste of time. So many other threads on this too! :( Can haz searchz?
/signed

I would pay so much real money for numbers 7 & 8, it's stupid. Seriously, it's that bad. It's 2010, not 1990, how about we get a keyword search for the Auction House, Turbine? And yeah, how about you put the SQL 'ORDER BY' on the entire returned results instead of each page. That'd be nice.

It is very annoying to have to page through 30+ pages of the AH looking for one item that may or may not be on any part of any one of the pages, with such a broken interface. VERY FRUSTRATING.

Even though I've only been playing for a short while, I've seen more than half of the bugs in the original post. Turbine really needs to start caring about these bugs. And to all you Turbine employees reading... If you DO care, how about you post and say "each one of these items has been entered into our bug database as priority X" instead of being silent? mmmk? :cool: Because if you don't... then it's grossly apparent you don't care. At all.

Kromize
03-28-2010, 08:08 PM
Don't forget the lack of magical properties for items. There need to be a lot more, and different levels of each.

Need to make random items more random, with a small chance of a 2nd prefix/suffix as well.

Fire Touch, Flaming, Flaming Burst, Flaming Blast. <- Need extra in between(and to be able to get blast on normal items). Need something like 'Greater Flaming' that doesn't burst, but is 2d6 fire dmg instead of 1d6. Then could do greater flaming burst, blast.

Also need things like lesser Greater Smiting, greater banishing...etc. Also need the dc's on these tuned to the crit range/multiplier of weapons. So that a smiting scimitar is just as valuable as a smiting battle axe. Could also add properties such as keen, that instead add +1 to crit multiplier, or bonus base damage.

More properties for armor. Right now the only things people care about for randomly generated armor are the '+', metal type(mithral), and blueshine. Anything else is just something to add onto the ML. Might think of adding random dodge bonuses in for magic properties. +1 to +4?

Xionanx
03-29-2010, 03:29 AM
Dont forget to refrence Borroro's list of incorrect/missing/incomplete descriptions for items and abilities...

I mean how hard could it be to find someone to parse the code and change "Grants 50% bonus" to "Grants 75% Bonus"?

TheLallian
03-29-2010, 08:11 PM
We need an official system to handle these suggestions/comments from players to DDO and DDO need to respond. I suggested a player voting system to prioritize bug fixes/change requests.

see thread below:
http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=239924

Therilith
03-29-2010, 08:57 PM
3. Anti-Powerleveling is Overkill that Hurts Casual Grouping.
<lots o' text>

The level difference made the quest incredibly easy. Incredibly easy quests should not give XP.

Nice job weaving that "I just wanted to play with my friend, WHY DOES TURBINE HATE FRIENDSHIP?!" in there, though.

Clayness
03-30-2010, 01:39 AM
I think it might be worthwhile to add the wall-climbing mobs to the list. Occasionally you have ranged/caster mobs who climb up walls the player can't possibly traverse, sometimes even doing it backwards. Happens most often with the mobs who evade a lot (kobolds and skeletons seem to love it). With a bit of bad luck, they end up where you can't even hit them when jumping, so your only option is to take them down with ranged damage (ever tried having to kill a skeleton with a light crossbow? Takes 10 to 15 minutes, if its the same level as you).

cipher_nemo4
03-30-2010, 02:36 PM
Because if you [(Turbine)] don't... then it's grossly apparent you don't care. At all.

I mean how hard could it be to find someone to parse the code and change "Grants 50% bonus" to "Grants 75% Bonus"?

Yup. It has been apparent to me for some time. If you check the date of the OP, it's been here quite some time with no fixes. Turbine just keeps on pumping out content instead of fixes right now (to keep churning a profit with DDO). And yet LOTRO is getting a lot of polish for fixes. It's apparent which one they care about and which one they don't.

I'm playing Star Trek Online and it has the opposite problem, plenty of bug fixing, but not enough content. I can't win for the MMOs I'm interested in right now. :(

Zzevel
03-30-2010, 03:13 PM
Two things I hate are the Borked LFM where Quest names are missing and blank Favor panels & quest list.

Really? if it doesn't load give us some kind of a /stuck command to restart the data loader. I am SICK and TIRED of logging off and on 4 flippin times before my quest list loads correctly. :confused:

cipher_nemo4
03-31-2010, 08:53 AM
Two things I hate are the Borked LFM where Quest names are missing and blank Favor panels & quest list.

Really? if it doesn't load give us some kind of a /stuck command to restart the data loader. I am SICK and TIRED of logging off and on 4 flippin times before my quest list loads correctly. :confused:

Yeah, it's been a bug forever, but Turbine never fixes anything. They just continue to release more bugged content to up sales.

What works for me: logout in a tavern, then when logging in, don't open any panel or click on anything until the login is complete (characters and the world around you loaded in completely, after lagged sync-up). Works every time for me.

Hybro
03-31-2010, 10:16 AM
No pet controls. Pets aggroing through closed doors/gates and staying at closed doors/gates because there are enemies on the other side. A simple list of pet controls similar to hireling controls would be nice.

The power leveling system is kinda fine as it is. Keep in mind that a four level difference in DDO is like a 20 level difference in other MMOs. In most other MMOs you get a +/- 10 level difference. And even then in DDO its a 50% xp reduction for the lower toon, I think. But DDO could benefit from a mentoring system. Either let low toons sidekick higher toons or higher toons mentor down to lower toons. Or make up a unique new system, like letting higher players create temporary spirit companions of any level up to their own. Essentially you would be controlling a hireling to aid your lower level friends. The higher toon gains the same amount of xp and loot as if they would had they run the quests themselves, but without being over-powered or affecting their friend's xp.

Tanthul
04-06-2010, 06:24 PM
While I agree with almost everything in the list (everything but the debated ones), I find it surprising that the 2 worst annoying things for me are not even on the list:

1. Patrons tab in adventure compendium goes blank and sometimes the entire AC window (all 3 tabs). This happens most of the time when I log in and happens after I've stayed logged in for too many hours, needing 1-4 relogs to fix it. This is the most annoying thing in the game and imho should be near the top if not at the top of the list. Seriously. Relogging 1-4 times in a row when you first log in or when it randomly happens gets old VERY fast...

2. You can not change your extra hotbars to a different set, only the original unmovable bar can be changed which is a hassle in setting up bars. I'm stuck with extra bar windows assigned to bars 1 and 2 while the original bar window is bar 3, this means I have to select the bar 3 window when I log in and use the arrows (up and down again) so that it gets focus and the numeral keys point to that one. (not sure if this one made sense but I can't probably describe it better without screenshots).

cipher_nemo4
04-08-2010, 10:37 PM
While I agree with almost everything in the list (everything but the debated ones), I find it surprising that the 2 worst annoying things for me are not even on the list:

1. Patrons tab in adventure compendium goes blank and sometimes the entire AC window (all 3 tabs). This happens most of the time when I log in and happens after I've stayed logged in for too many hours, needing 1-4 relogs to fix it. This is the most annoying thing in the game and imho should be near the top if not at the top of the list. Seriously. Relogging 1-4 times in a row when you first log in or when it randomly happens gets old VERY fast...

Looks like you missed what was already mentioned...

Adventure's Compendium Doesn't always Load. Others have expressed their frustrations with this, as have I. This is a big one. It can happen to anyone, with any character, at any login. Due to unknown forces, the habits of players, and unforeseen Beholder voodoo, some people might never run into this problem. Who knows for sure? Either way, it affects a good number of people right now (as per forum posts), and it also affects me. There doesn't seem to be any pattern to this, but sometimes on login, my adventure's compendium will be blank. Yes, blank... all three tabs, all quest history and all favor points. Needless to say that makes grinding for favor and checking on missed quests extremely frustrating, if not nearly impossible (aside from the tedious task of running around collecting quests and clicking on entrances to see what's left to get). To correct this, a player will have to log out and log in their character again, or even restart the client. Sometimes that doesn't help, and sometimes it fixes it. Regardless, extremely annoying and game-breaking when we actually need to use it..

But to get around this, log out inside a Tavern, and more importantly, don't click on anything, move, or do anything until completely logged in (when players show up and after loading lag). That will show your Compendium almost all of the time.

Tanthul
04-09-2010, 07:20 AM
Looks like you missed what was already mentioned...

Looks like I did, somehow... I stand corrected.

But to get around this, log out inside a Tavern, and more importantly, don't click on anything, move, or do anything until completely logged in (when players show up and after loading lag). That will show your Compendium almost all of the time.

Ok, I knew about the don't move/click anything until end of sync and that is what I am doing. I never heard about doing it in a tavern and I will try it and let you know if it makes any difference (although it doesn't sound technically plausible). Right now it seems to me that always the first time I log into a game or the first time I relog to fix it, is always a miss. The second time works 99% of the time but the first one never. Simply never.
With my programming background, I can make a couple of guesses on why this is happening (probably a thread or socket is dying on the server-side) what worries me though is that they're not commenting on it which could point to a design flaw.

Mr_Ed7
04-09-2010, 07:27 AM
No, this was not a rant.

Well thought-out TRUE constructive criticism.

This particualr thread is INVALUABLE to the devs at Turbine.

Much of this was DEAD-ON.

Thanks

From one of the silent majority.

Eladiun
04-09-2010, 09:13 AM
I've been seeing a intermittent bug with the grouping panel where groups will either not show everyone in the group or will show too many people like Tear of Dhakaan with 7 players.

Belowme
04-09-2010, 09:44 AM

Whereas i wouldn't go so far as to call it game breaking, it is incredibly irritating when i have to log in and out 5 times just to be able to see this information. And see it ACCURATELY. There have been a handful of times where i will actually end up with someone ELSE's Adventure Compendium. That's right ladies and gentlemen, I logged on to my new Lvl 6 Sorc, took a gander at my AC, and my bewildered eyes beheld full yellow bars on every patron except the Yugos. It was quite amusing moment perusing the quest pane, discovering that she had completed quests in the Inspired Quarter on Elite. I don't even HAVE that adventure pack. It would seem that she's been leading a double life without the need for hearts of wood. I've also had AC's load up where every single quest was listed twice. You can imagine how long a list THAT can get to.

BTW, no the patron list only SHOWS someone elses favor totals. I already tested whether or not the character could actually benefit from it and came up negative. Still, awfully odd display error to me.

cipher_nemo4
04-09-2010, 04:17 PM
Whereas i wouldn't go so far as to call it game breaking, it is incredibly irritating when i have to log in and out 5 times just to be able to see this information. And see it ACCURATELY.

That post was written before we found a workaround for it (to do nothing while logging in until the login is complete after logging out at a tavern). It was game-breaking then as multiple re-logs would never work when we kept clicking on panels before the login process completed. Now it's just a minor annoyance.

CrimsonReLLiK
04-09-2010, 05:17 PM
How about the lack of persistent NPC Traders and the lack of updates to their supplied stock?

Example...
Where can I get Rage Pots? ... Umm which house was that? Which vendor? Where do I get that scroll? etc

Why can't every potion vendor have all the same potions so that I can pick them up anywhere I am? Gianthold has a very good list of pots, yet newer content like Amrath has very few pots that are useful. Just make General Vendors, Scroll Vendors, Potion Vendors etc. have the same inventory in every area, instead of having to hunt down where to get things. And so on....

How about the inventory they carry... Now that player HP is inflated beyond reason, why still only Cure Serious pots? How about Cure Critical Pots or higher. Efficacy pots still only go to level 4? Really? Don't we have up to level 9 spells now? Without giving full out examples of everything, you get the basic idea. The game gets higher level over time but the NPCs get neglected every update.

Just looking for some consistency here.

Nadurp
04-10-2010, 04:15 PM
Just wanted to say I agree wholeheartedly. Honestly, this list is probably the difference in what makes a high quality game and probably is an indicator of why it was forced to go free to play.

MaximusParthas
04-10-2010, 05:15 PM
I read through 2 pages and didn't see this.
Isn't it a little unreasonable to have kobolds with unlimited magic missile and hold spells? A 50th level wizard doesn't have as many MM's or hold persons as a 3rd level kobold. How is that normal? In a normal dungeon crawl, once a wizard or shaman runs out of spells he has to resort to weapons or run. Why doesn't that apply to AI monsters?
For instance. Getting through waterworks on solo ( my main play preference) is impossible simply because of endless hold spells by shamans. It's just plain unfair.