PDA

View Full Version : Whatever happened to consequences in this game ???

cinoaz
10-21-2009, 10:24 PM
Seriously, how many training wheels do you plan on to bolt to the side of this game?

When you make a character, you choose your stats to make the build work. Some build for later levels, which makes the first levels more difficult, some build for early levels which increase the difficulty of later levels.

It's a tradeoff, you choose your build and live with it. Decisions have consequences, thats the game.

If you flub a toon, you flub a toon, reroll. When you put stats into a toon, you agonize and waffle and debate it to death. That's part of the game. You plan and plan and have a definitive goal for a toon and try to reach it.

Now enter repecs, Greater, Lesser, True.

Now, no one can ever build a gimped toon. Everyone can redo every character whenever they want.

Build a toon that rules low levels but would be bad at high levels, don't worry, just respec when the time comes.

Decided to put points into Dex but in hindsite you should have gone Con, no biggie, just respec.

Oh, don't forget your Credit Card at the door. Your friendly DDO merchant is standing by to complete your order.

Come on, you should be taking off training wheels, not bolting new ones on....

Oh, since you have time to mess with Respec in the game, how's the Range Attack fixes coming along?

You have time to mess with Respec, how about some of the Monk fixes we keep being told are coming?

You have time to mess with Respec <Enter your own gripe here of continued bugs in the game that go unfixed>

oberon131313
10-21-2009, 10:45 PM
I suggest you take the time to grasp what reincarnations actually do before you continue to rant about it.

Angelus_dead
10-21-2009, 10:48 PM
When you make a character, you choose your stats to make the build work.
Do I also choose the rule changes made by the devs?

I'd like to, and that would really reduce the need for respecs... but I'm not sure how to get them to obey me. And for anyone who's not me, they'd still have occasional problems when I add a rule they hadn't expected.

Some build for later levels, which makes the first levels more difficult, some build for early levels which increase the difficulty of later levels.
You really should get a clue.

Mystic511
10-21-2009, 10:49 PM
My time > my money.

Your money > your time.

My money > Turbine's effort > your time

Sorry, it's sounding meaner than I mean it to be.

I'm sorry you feel that way, and I acknowledge what you're saying, but you know, I don't have time to rebuild characters and I'm willing to shell out for it. I've probably spent more money on this game in a month than a typical subscriber has in a year. Who do you think Turbine wants to please?

For turbine, this is a way higher return on investment than fixing the other issues that have existed.

You forget that if they make money from this, they can fund larger projects, hire more people, and KEEP DEVELOPING. Which in turn, will allow this game to keep going, and maybe one day, they will fix the issues that lower revenue generating users care about.

totmacher
10-21-2009, 11:08 PM
are you arguing against the re-spec? are you arguing against the store? are you arguing against no fixes to ranged combat? do you even know?

it seems you are generally frustrated. if you don't find the game challenging, challenge yourself. that's up to you, no one else

Rickpa
10-21-2009, 11:21 PM
On the matter of consequences, think about the dangers inherent in True Reincarnation. You can try a new thing with a level capped character... a character that was satisfying enough to take all the way to 20, and despite the perks, can end up to be much less satisfying. A character that has little appeal is probably not ever going to see level 20 again. What a waste!

Favis
10-21-2009, 11:31 PM
Do I also choose the rule changes made by the devs?

IF the devs never chance the rules I would have been agains re-spece.
BUT as they chance things I think it's good.

Lorien_the_First_One
10-21-2009, 11:38 PM
It's no one's fault that Turbine put in an idiodic 28/32 point mechanic...which is what GR is for.

Lesser lets you move around some stat points, at a fairly high cost in money and lost accomplishments if you have read the theads on what it does. I suppose you are for taking Fred out of the game and stopping sorcs from changing spells too? Those "mistakes" are a heck of a lot easier and cheaper to fix than moving around stat points with GR. And TR...well that and ENORMOUS commitment to use, its not an easy button, its a harder button than reroll.

And of course everyone knew that Turbine would change the rules of the game...repeatedly. For example when I rolled my first character 3 years ago when the level cap was 10 it was OBVIOUS that there would be a capstone at L20 and that there would be T3 PrEs... Oh wait, the current enhancement system didn't even exist then and capstones aren't part of D&D...ah, I guess I should have still known.

You may have limitless time to fix these things, I don't. I earn the $15 needed for a respec is about 5 minutes at work. That seems like a good investment for me to make the game enjoyable. And you know this is a game that is supposed to be fun right?

bobbryan2
10-22-2009, 12:21 AM
Whatever happened to consequences in the forums? When posting bad logic and general frustration earned you a short ban or maybe just the eye-rolling of the population.

Now you can just hit edit, and pretend you didn't say it.

I'm against forum post respecs.

BurningDownTheHouse
10-22-2009, 02:55 AM
Whatever happened to consequences in the forums? When posting bad logic and general frustration earned you a short ban or maybe just the eye-rolling of the population.

Lol, This deserves a +1 rep.

Emili
10-22-2009, 11:48 AM
Oh, since you have time to mess with Respec in the game, how's the Range Attack fixes coming along?

You have time to mess with Respec, how about some of the Monk fixes we keep being told are coming?

Reincarnate that stupid **** out... or gimp it back in if you wish ;)

I mean, how do I take you seriously ...

You start by complaining that they're allowing a respec system, which most likely many vets who've kept 28 point builds around and endured the changing rules of the game may take advantage of instead of ultimately muling such character and rerolling it later when they get tired of having a toon they no longer view as "Fun" and to them in their mind "Gimped" taking up some slot space on something they pay for.

Then you end with... "Fix ranged!" "Fix monk!"... they're too gimped... asking for more rule change and allowing you to "UnGIMP" these characters...

Your logic makes no sense at all... You built a ranged character, you built a monk character - according to your first argument you should live with them "AS IS!"

You start by saying people should have "guessed the rules" then turn around and scream "change the rules for me."

UltimusMagus
10-22-2009, 01:41 PM
That's like someone asking for D&D rules to be rolled back to 1st edition. The game is evolving according to the needs to the community. Granted, not everyone will be happy with the changes, but if the majority is satisfied with them, then it shall be the status quo... and I doubt the majority will complain about the ability to fix mistakes they made in developing their character, or tweaking it to their satisfaction.

*shrugs*

Cyr
10-22-2009, 04:23 PM
Lol OP. Consequences. Let's ignore the large number of changes to classes the devs have made over the years. Let's ignore the 32/28 point build difference. Let's only focus on if it is desirable for people to delete their toons in favor of re-rolling and how that improves the game. Well, people re-rolling get's low and mid level content played more. That's a plus (also a plus that happens even more with the respec system actually considering you need more XP to level). Said people might quit the game after doing this more then once...it's happened more then once...that is bad for the game as less people equals less content. Now, the true res option is just a re-roll with more xp and items getting kept... So the person still has to grind essentially another toon (actually more since more XP) to correct any mistakes in their build. Therefore, any 'benefits' that are gained from making them re-roll are still there, the only thing is they MIGHT not be so annoyed they quit. Pfft, consequences who thinks that having the possibility of having a gimped toon that you can never fix helped this game?

parvo
10-22-2009, 09:14 PM
Try permadeath.

transtemporal
10-22-2009, 09:27 PM
Try permadeath.

Lol, exactly. :)

ninjaeli
10-22-2009, 09:29 PM
Oh No The Nerf God Has Come For All Of Us Hide Your Toons!!!!!!!

bobbryan2
10-22-2009, 10:44 PM
Try permadeath.

He wants people to be stuck with gimpy characters forever and ever. How in the world is permadeath the same as that? That's different gimpy characters that never make it past lvl 10... totally different.

Hokonoso
10-23-2009, 12:34 AM
My time > my money.

Your money > your time.

My money > Turbine's effort > your time

Sorry, it's sounding meaner than I mean it to be.

I'm sorry you feel that way, and I acknowledge what you're saying, but you know, I don't have time to rebuild characters and I'm willing to shell out for it. I've probably spent more money on this game in a month than a typical subscriber has in a year. Who do you think Turbine wants to please?

For turbine, this is a way higher return on investment than fixing the other issues that have existed.

You forget that if they make money from this, they can fund larger projects, hire more people, and KEEP DEVELOPING. Which in turn, will allow this game to keep going, and maybe one day, they will fix the issues that lower revenue generating users care about.

this post made my day, bolded the important part. i mean seriously, you dont spend any money in the ddo store and yet you feel you have the right to complain on the forums? i don't even have time to argue with the OP as his voice does not count at all.

pumagirl418
10-23-2009, 10:16 AM
i kinda agree w/ cin. BUT

character respec has been long overdo, BECAUSE turbine goes back and changes feats or enhancements

if something isn't set in stone, then you need to make it so others can grow with that change and not feel like you are punishing them.

negative xp was great, i felt it taught new toons or even experienced players that if you died in quests more than you made in xp then you needed to rethink strategy or rebuild to 'fix' something. as much as i hate to admit it, but upon cap then the xp should stop and gear dmg should kick in, but neg xp was a great thing. when it first got removed i remember partying with players that would brag they couldn't lvl before, because they made no xp... seriously... maybe there was a reason... but they couldn't figure it out... now we pat them on the back and say its okay, the other players will carry you as long as you stay in quest (because there is no way to boot them, and having the whole party recall and restart is not always feesible)...

getting off the soap box

spifflove
10-23-2009, 10:26 AM
Look at it this way:

You drive well. You pass go, collect 200 dollars.

I drive poorly. I pay my 200 dollars to the law man. The law man makes his quota. City hall has more revenue. More roads get paved. You take your 200 dollars and use it to buy new chrome rims for your tires.

In the end you win so why gripe?

Creeper
10-23-2009, 11:40 AM
How about this for consequences: You have had three 28pt capped characters that you kept around for nostalgia for over three years, then you reroll them all two weeks before reincarnation gets announced.

Suprise!

(Any game where the devs change the rules around as much as this one should have a respec option after every MOD. It not the players fault.)

Ciaran
10-23-2009, 11:59 AM
How about this for consequences: You have had three 28pt capped characters that you kept around for nostalgia for over three years, then you reroll them all two weeks before reincarnation gets announced.

Suprise!

(Any game where the devs change the rules around as much as this one should have a respec option after every MOD. It not the players fault.)

Keep in mind (and this goes for everybody) that you are trying to reason with the guy who was gravely offended that Turbine put a fully (if not revealingly) clothed succubus on the forums for a "T" rated game because his son (who is presumably too young for the "T" rating) saw it and then continued to defend his position using logic that very much resembled a gem donut; circular, small and flakey. Much as he has done here.

Creeper
10-23-2009, 12:27 PM
Keep in mind (and this goes for everybody) that you are trying to reason with the guy who was gravely offended that Turbine put a fully (if not revealingly) clothed succubus on the forums for a "T" rated game because his son (who is presumably too young for the "T" rating) saw it and then continued to defend his position using logic that very much resembled a gem donut; circular, small and flakey. Much as he has done here.

Wait till he finds those old stacks of "Hustler" hidden under his son's bed!

Ciaran
10-23-2009, 12:30 PM
Wait till he finds those old stacks of "Hustler" hidden under his son's bed!

"I'm just holding onto them for a friend, Dad!"

Egads, he'll be back with a fury and the lasses in Ataraxia's spa will be the next to go! :(

Creeper
10-23-2009, 12:35 PM
When I think back on all the things I did as a kid it makes me wonder why they don't switch mature and teen around.

I mean the whole point of being mature is to know better.

Zippo
10-23-2009, 08:00 PM
Seriously, how many training wheels do you plan on to bolt to the side of this game?

When you make a character, you choose your stats to make the build work. Some build for later levels, which makes the first levels more difficult, some build for early levels which increase the difficulty of later levels.

It's a tradeoff, you choose your build and live with it. Decisions have consequences, thats the game.

If you flub a toon, you flub a toon, reroll. When you put stats into a toon, you agonize and waffle and debate it to death. That's part of the game. You plan and plan and have a definitive goal for a toon and try to reach it.

Now, no one can ever build a gimped toon. Everyone can redo every character whenever they want.

Build a toon that rules low levels but would be bad at high levels, don't worry, just respec when the time comes.

Decided to put points into Dex but in hindsite you should have gone Con, no biggie, just respec.

Oh, don't forget your Credit Card at the door. Your friendly DDO merchant is standing by to complete your order.

You have time to mess with Respec <Enter your own gripe here of continued bugs in the game that go unfixed>

Question for ya.

Were you paying attention at all over the last, oh I don't know I'll say 3 years, when out of the blue a rather random (and sometimes not so random) and unexpected change would be made by Turbine; to often times balance things?

Just because someone is going off of what was viable at the time doesn't mean they made a gimp toon as you put it. A lot of the times it was a perfectly reasonable toon that was made unreasonable by an arbitrary change by the developers.

die
10-24-2009, 12:08 PM
i dig the idea,and i dont belive your toon needs too be a gimp too respect ,shut when u have a 1750 on every server and all the raid loot u can stand, what next..... die and do it again

Zhorge
10-25-2009, 09:41 PM

+1 rep for that. It put a smile on my face.

vVAnjilaVv
10-25-2009, 09:51 PM
Have to add my two cp here...respecs are needed if game mechanics and aspects are continually changed...end of story...there is no counter-arguement.

iscifi
10-26-2009, 12:11 AM
Lol, exactly. :)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What the ****, Utah?! You let him go!!

Hey man, don't blame us...

I only live here... well sort of. If you can call this living. ;-)

hermespan
10-26-2009, 07:52 AM
IF the devs never chance the rules I would have been agains re-spece.
BUT as they chance things I think it's good.

For real. If you spend a ton of plat, 5-6 months developing a character and Turbine nerfs it, they should let you respec to fix it. Each time they do it, everyone should get as many free respecs as we need (or at least test server with our character on it and unlimited respecs) so we can figure out what works with the changes.

The rules are like an agreement with the player. If you change the rules, you need to let the player renegotiate so everyone gets a fair deal. Without a respec Turbine is making you bend over and take it.

Bekki
10-26-2009, 08:46 AM
Reincarnation and Resurection
have been around in AD&D since
"The Little Red Books" called "Chainmail" in the mid 70's

I know, I have been around almost as long...

"Uh think I just outed myself.." :eek: :D

All Turbine is doing is Implementing a Process where you can
apply the same tecniques you may have used in pen and Paper
to either...

A. Correct a gross mistake in character creation...

B. Change a characters race, gender, class etc, for Roleplay purposes...
(But Alignment, Race and gender can only be done with True Reincarnate)

C. Work towards the goal of creating the best possible character you can...

or one of a dozen other personal goals you may have....

I have had the pleasure of Talking with +Madfloyd
And I learned while speaking to him, that they have
put a lot of thought into this, and they are still looking
to improve upon it...

But it is the same as anything...

If you do not like... it do not use it.

But yes, There are consequenses to it...

Especially to True Reincarnation...
+5 % to the amount of Xp you must gain.... (There goes your masters Voice...) :eek:

And that is Each time you do it! And it Stacks!
so consider the impact if you use
true Reincarnate 3 times for that 36 Pt. Build...

You will in effect take a permanent -15% XP hit! :eek:

and be 3 in. Taller each time...
(This might be cool if you are a halfling...)
But... if you are human or Warforged? :eek:

And Just to Use "True Reincarnate" you have to reach level 20! :eek:

Which means... I won't see it any time soon... :(

Not to mention and this may be the hugest Penalty of All...

If you Reincarnate, do you "Lose" ALL of your Favor!?

With true Reincarnate....you do...

You start at level one.

With A few... spiffy new feats, and a clean slate.

In effect... a "New Life"

But, at level one, and looking at the long Climb to level 20... :eek:

So at least for True Reincarnation... Yes there are a lot of benefits...

but there are some heavy consequences as well.

And you May lose your Favor on the Other ones as well...
I would go more in to detail but I don't want to..."Spoil" it for anyone.

So think about it...
If you do lose your ALL your Favor, at say level 15...
that is a HUGE penalty for starting over or making that
little Change... to make your Character better...

Say Taking out that "level of Cleric"... or those 6 Levels of Ranger! :eek:
Bekki is Holding out on leveling to 17 right now...
I am Not Sure about his direction in Life...

No consequences ehhh... You might want to take a "Closer look..."
You may be paying more than you think...

But that aside I think all in all... It's a fair deal...

In additon...
A great portion of the Gaming community has been looking for the Option to
respec their characters for a long time. And Turbine has done an admirable job
of giving us the chance.

All and all, I think it works.

But as of right now due to the fact that the huge mistake
I made on Bekki was his alignment, due to a lack of knowledge
when i created him...It wont help him... at least not right now...

But It will help Grampybone and some of my other characters... :D

So yes character respecs are here, are there consequences?

Yes, there are...

It it worth it, or should you use it?

That my friends is all a matter of choice.

Just my to cp's...

Have Fun out there!

Most Humbly...

Bekki.

bobbryan2
10-26-2009, 02:30 PM
Lot more than a mere 5% hit to xp gain.

Yurtrus
10-27-2009, 06:19 AM
I can tell you exactly when this game started to change for worse.. It was when they took out XP LOSS for death. I agree with both sides of the argument. There are people here that are new and impatient with money and there are the old school ( of which I am one ) where we did not have all the luxuries of a store, an auction house and 20 levels of questing. We did not have respect and the ability for everyone to teleport. I think what the OP is saying here is this:

We miss the old ddo and are having a hard time dealing with the changes that are being made to address the WOW gaming mentality. That is not what DDO was about. It was about specializing in your field, feeling needed by your guild. We quested together religiously and took our time. Years to perfect our characters.

Now it's just about how quick you can level and having an uber character at the end so you can walk in and kick the **** outta anything quickly, get your loot and move on to the next quest. ( this is the real kick in the pants that has made the game profitable for the company and unfortunately taken away the true meaning for us old school day 1 players )

They try very hard to balance the game, unfortunately they never considered balancing the game for the people who play the game. They have taken away too much of the game for the day 1 player and added too much for the new guy who still complains. Chances are you will only understand that if you are a long time player.

Best of luck to all in hopes this game becomes what you want. However, I feel as do most long timers that the direction this game has taken has really changed for the worse. Without challenges and goal this game is just something most of the new people with eventually toss, just like they do most of the other games they play.. No matter what they do you have the choice to continue playing or not. No matter what they add to the game I for one will continue to play the game as I always have. Slow, steady and immersed.

adm5893
10-27-2009, 07:49 AM
I can tell you exactly when this game started to change for worse.. It was when they took out XP LOSS for death. I agree with both sides of the argument. There are people here that are new and impatient with money and there are the old school ( of which I am one ) where we did not have all the luxuries of a store, an auction house and 20 levels of questing. We did not have respect and the ability for everyone to teleport. I think what the OP is saying here is this:

We miss the old ddo and are having a hard time dealing with the changes that are being made to address the WOW gaming mentality. That is not what DDO was about. It was about specializing in your field, feeling needed by your guild. We quested together religiously and took our time. Years to perfect our characters.

Now it's just about how quick you can level and having an uber character at the end so you can walk in and kick the **** outta anything quickly, get your loot and move on to the next quest. ( this is the real kick in the pants that has made the game profitable for the company and unfortunately taken away the true meaning for us old school day 1 players )

They try very hard to balance the game, unfortunately they never considered balancing the game for the people who play the game. They have taken away too much of the game for the day 1 player and added too much for the new guy who still complains. Chances are you will only understand that if you are a long time player.

Best of luck to all in hopes this game becomes what you want. However, I feel as do most long timers that the direction this game has taken has really changed for the worse. Without challenges and goal this game is just something most of the new people with eventually toss, just like they do most of the other games they play.. No matter what they do you have the choice to continue playing or not. No matter what they add to the game I for one will continue to play the game as I always have. Slow, steady and immersed.

Well said. The game will be what you want it to be and one will have to make a choice whether to adapt to the changing game and continue playing or move onto another game.

I for one will continue the game until I pull my one Bloodstone; put my Tier 3 Levik's on my DT armor and pull my Enduring Conviction.

Pristorn
10-27-2009, 04:07 PM
I honestly think the game is what you make of it. Sure you can grumble about every little thing that rubs you the wrong way, or you can just take it for what it is and enjoy yourself.

And as for gimp characters, I've always thought that D&D makes for better playing BECAUSE your character isn't perfect, or atleast isn't supposed to be.

It was those dips in the stats that made a character develop a personality, and make him/her worth putting the time and effort into. (then again, I'm old school D&D, PNP type of guy, so that's just how I feel)

If you want to power game, that's your purogative. You can spend your money on what you want to improve your charrie.

If you want to just enjoy yourself, have a few laughs, and quest with some cool people once in a while, I say stick to your guns. Sure a quest here or there may be difficult, but that's where the fun is in figuring out how to exploit your strengths, and not your weaknesses.

bobbryan2
10-27-2009, 04:59 PM
Why not just ask for a

/deathcount

I think that would be easy to implement and universally more useful.

Nikmal
10-27-2009, 08:25 PM
The rules are like an agreement with the player. If you change the rules, you need to let the player renegotiate so everyone gets a fair deal. Without a respec Turbine is making you bend over and take it.

I forgot.. Turbine reaches in to your pocket, grabs YOUR wallet and then pulls money out of it to force you to pay for this game. Oh wait it is FREE now.. so they STILL take your money. THEN to top it all off.. they force you to sit in front of your computer, log you in and then make you press the keys on your keyboard and move your mouse around in some semblance of order too!!

Since when does Turbine not let the players negotiate?? If you do NOT like what they are doing you vote.. by unsubscribing and moving on. Until then.. there is NO negotiation. games might ask what you think.. but ultimately it is up to them how they handle any given situation and if you do not like it you moved on.

But you want Turbine to actually ASK us and then listen to us and then actually do what we say.. (see above for my answer).

irivan
10-28-2009, 04:52 AM

Thats the point, its a "GAME"

So why do you care? Have fun for crying out loud!!

irivan
10-28-2009, 04:53 AM
Oh and i haven't broken out my credit cards once, no need. I think you must have. Freudian slip?

Give me a break!

eonfreon
10-28-2009, 11:14 AM
I don't know what happened. Heck, I didn't even know there were once consequences to begin with!!

"Consequences", hahahahahaha that's rich.

iraiqat316
10-28-2009, 12:11 PM
I dont mind paying to respec/greater reincarnate my toon that has Max Favor. I was new, it is a 28 point build first character. Still playing it to this day. So make your statements. Mine is, Thank you Turbine for allowing me not to WASTE my hard earned time rolling up another toon.

Solymnar
10-28-2009, 02:45 PM
(Any game where the devs change the rules around as much as this one should have a FREE respec option after every SIGNIFICANT MOD. It not the players fault.)

Fixed that for ya. ;)

But yes, essentially making it so that players are not punished for changes to the game that they can not predict or know of.

And encourage new players who may not feel like reading the entire 3.5ruleset plus the DDO mods so that they don't make crippling mistakes to keep playing.

= win

Increase player base, increase revenue, increase overall player enjoyment.

Locking choices in stone that require vast research to "get right" and a good amount of clarivoyant knowledge is just plain stupid.

Allowing someoen to retune their character as they gain knowledge of the game doesn't make the game suddenly easy mode, but it DOES make it more fun to play and open up the doors of being able to god forbid experiment with different builds and options...which many people view as fun...which is kind of the whole point of playing a game.

I would rather that my wife be able to adjust her character if she finds that something didn't pan out as she had hoped than gloat over her that I have more knowledge of the game and avoided x pitfall. If your ego is that fragile take comfort in this, regardless of how many respecs someone gets, having a more complete knowledge of the game/mechanics/etc. will still in general make you a more resourceful player with better builds (roleplaying aside) and someone who is not at all willing to research before making choices will inevitably be more likely to spend more money on the game which means DDO wins and so do you.

Having some form of respec is a good thing. It really really is. However it probably should be made a free option after a given set of major game changes gets pushed through. Clueless people are just as likely to hose themselves on a free respec as they would otherwise and will then probably still have to purchase an additional one, knowledgable people who had a great build broken by game changes will be able to negotiate around it without having to pay money because of someone else's re-direction etc.

SpagEddy
10-28-2009, 04:31 PM
Problem: OP wants to be rewarded for being such a hero at creation.

OP has confused personal reward with relative success. Therefore in OP's mind, "I succeed" = "you fail".

Thus, OP only feels rewarded for his heroic mathematics if others suffer for being less heroically mathematical.

Solution: Enjoy the game for how much pleasure you get out of owning the content with your heroic build instead of how superior your build makes you feel to others, and suddenly there is no problem at all.