PDA

View Full Version : Meteor Swarm Sucks -- Make Damage Scale to Level

Aspenor
10-20-2009, 07:09 PM
I took this spell on my blaster simply because it's the only evocation available on the level 9 spell list. I ran out to give it a try.

Wow, it was awful. Not just a little bad, but horribly, depressingly awful. Wow, I spell crit for a whole 63 damage. The reasons for this is obvious:

1. A grand total of 8d6 per meteor is pitiful for a level 9 spell.
2. There are no potency items available for level 9 spells.
3. The spell offers multiple saving throws, one for each meteor.

This spell needs a massive, massive boost. My suggestion is to make each meteor scale by level. Each meteor should do 1d6 per 2 caster levels of fire damage, and 1d6 per 4 caster levels bludgeoning damage.

I'd also recommend the developers introduce some potency IX items.

Lorien_the_First_One
10-20-2009, 07:45 PM
Or they could just remove the save if you are directly hit by the meteor.

Meteor swarm is a very powerful and spectacular spell that is similar to fireball in many aspects. When you cast it, four 2-foot-diameter spheres spring from your outstretched hand and streak in straight lines to the spots you select. The meteor spheres leave a fiery trail of sparks

If you aim a sphere at a specific creature, you may make a ranged touch attack to strike the target with the meteor. Any creature struck by one of these spheres takes 2d6 points of bludgeoning damage (no save) and receives no saving throw against the sphere’s fire damage (see below). If a targeted sphere misses its target, it simply explodes at the nearest corner of the target’s space. You may aim more than one meteor at the same target.

Once a sphere reaches its destination, it explodes in a 40-foot-radius spread, dealing 6d6 points of fire damage to each creature in the area. If a creature is within the area of more than one sphere, it must save separately against each. (Fire resistance applies to each sphere’s damage individually.)

6D6 with no save (possibly 24D6 no save if all 4 hit) on a direct hit with 6D6x4 possible splash damage on a miss isn't bad at all.

And of course seeing some potency items drop would be nice...

Junts
10-20-2009, 07:48 PM
Are you sure, asp? My crits on this spell are around the range of 100ish on the fire damage portion, but only 3 of teh 4 meteors can hit one target, so sometimes you get spell crits that dont actually land.

Its still not that good, but it does do a good 350-400 damage on the abbot on most castings.

Angelus_dead
10-20-2009, 07:51 PM
1. A grand total of 8d6 per meteor is pitiful for a level 9 spell.
DBF = 20d6
Meteor = 4 * (2d6 + 6d6) = 32d6
??

2. There are no potency items available for level 9 spells.
That's a loot problem, not a spell problem. Presumably they'll get around to something like Potency IX eventually.

3. The spell offers multiple saving throws, one for each meteor.
That's not a weakness.

Junts
10-20-2009, 07:52 PM
DBF = 20d6
Meteor = 4 * (2d6 + 6d6) = 32d6
??

That's a loot problem, not a spell problem. Presumably they'll get around to something like Potency IX eventually.

That's not a weakness.

The problem is that meteor swarm only does 24d6 damage, because you can never hit one target with all 4 meteors.

Angelus_dead
10-20-2009, 08:07 PM
The problem is that meteor swarm only does 24d6 damage
24d6 for +5 spellpoints over DBF's 20d6 would be fine, once the Potency IX thing is done.

Asketes
10-20-2009, 08:27 PM
i thought meteor swarm when used on us has no save against the bludgeon damage?

i'm pretty sure my rogue was getting hit for about 150/per in Enter the Kobold on normal. but i could be wrong

dormetheus
10-20-2009, 09:48 PM
I'm not certain, but someone was saying (as we were getting pummelled in Enter the Kobold) that meteor swarm cannot be evaded (No save for no dmg).

bobbryan2
10-20-2009, 09:51 PM
24d6 for +5 spellpoints over DBF's 20d6 would be fine, once the Potency IX thing is done.

Their recent idea of making Potency IX some sort of holy grail for the last 3 mods is annoying beyond belief.

I really don't understand their reasoning sometimes.

Thriand
10-20-2009, 09:55 PM
Theres a new named robe I picked up on the test server that gives a clickie of superior combustion IX thats allows for some pretty nice damage numbers from the spell. As far as I could tell the the superior combustion IX affected the bludgeoning damage as well.

Twerpp
10-20-2009, 11:47 PM
It looks too cool to be so useless. Thats the worst part.

Aspenor
10-21-2009, 08:14 AM
Theres a new named robe I picked up on the test server that gives a clickie of superior combustion IX thats allows for some pretty nice damage numbers from the spell. As far as I could tell the the superior combustion IX affected the bludgeoning damage as well.

What kind of duration is on the clickie?

Missing_Minds
10-21-2009, 08:19 AM
I'm not certain, but someone was saying (as we were getting pummelled in Enter the Kobold) that meteor swarm cannot be evaded (No save for no dmg).

Haven't read the description of the spell, have you? It does not follow PnP because there are no range touch attacks, so it go moded a bit. A fair change if you ask me.

Gleipner
10-21-2009, 08:29 AM
Well if the mobbs can save our meteors why can´t we save harrys?
And cometfalls pfft should be be abel to save thoose aswell with evasion.

Thriand
10-21-2009, 10:23 AM
What kind of duration is on the clickie?

3 mins per clickie

Junts
10-21-2009, 10:25 AM
Well if the mobbs can save our meteors why can´t we save harrys?
And cometfalls pfft should be be abel to save thoose aswell with evasion.

Mobs dont get a save vs the bludgeon part of meteor swarm either

Thriand
10-21-2009, 10:27 AM
Mobs dont get a save vs the bludgeon part of meteor swarm either

and amazingly enough the bludgeoning portion is AoE as well. Although I think I'd prefer the PnP style direct hit = no save bludeon, no save fire and a non-direct hit = no bludgeoning, reflex for half fire damage.

Junts
10-21-2009, 10:28 AM
and amazingly enough the bludgeoning portion is AoE as well. Although I think I'd prefer the PnP style direct hit = no save bludeon, no save fire and a non-direct hit = no bludgeoning, reflex for half fire damage.

Yep with the robe clicky this spell will be pretty useful.

dormetheus
10-21-2009, 12:04 PM
Haven't read the description of the spell, have you? It does not follow PnP because there are no range touch attacks, so it go moded a bit. A fair change if you ask me.

I wasn't b*tching, just throwing out the information I had heard to those that might find it useful. I only have one caster, and I've never played an evasion build, so I couldn't care less.

Your response came off as unnecessarily smarmy.

Aspenor
10-22-2009, 09:18 AM
Yep with the robe clicky this spell will be pretty useful.

Yes, thanks for the reminder Thriand. I had seen the robe but didn't remember it when I made this thread. Looks like I'll be farming more clickies. I guess clickies are the wave of the future for casters.