PDA

View Full Version : Roll of a 1

Danandez
10-19-2009, 03:26 PM
My first posting caught a lot of flack, lets see if I can get twice as much this time around =D J/K!

Anyways combat can seem a bit sloppy to me when I am playing, not because the way the game is designed by but mainly just lazy players will throw spells on top of people and of course theres no friendly fire so overall it doesn't really matter. My idea is simple, when people are flagged for combat, with an npc, and the attack roll happens to be a natural 1 (no modifiers) freindly fire occurs to relevant players. If players die as a result from a players friendly fire, the dead gets a instant fat 10-20% overall XP bonus to mishap score, just incase the deceased misses out on treasure.

Whats the purpose of it? Well I am noticing a lot of mid game instances involve just nuking with flamewall and your party standing it. As fun as that may be, I think the game was intended for players to be a little more skillful in there actions. And with such a risk would make people play the game a little tighter and call on more game skills rather than flamewall.

Arculea
10-19-2009, 10:17 PM
IMHO a very good idea...
it is a little bit strange for flames in a fireball/flamewall to have a built in IFF,
so to have at least the chance of damaging your groupmates would be a great improvement
over the current system (especially as AFAIK in PnP D&D your Chars also weren´t immune to friendly fire by AoE spells)

Falco_Easts
10-19-2009, 10:33 PM
Hmmm... Interesting idea. It does appeal to me a bit I must admit. Would certainly shake up some of the current tactics.

Letrii
10-19-2009, 10:37 PM
If there was a pvp server, sure. Not on a normal server though.

Deriaz
10-20-2009, 08:18 AM
I kind of like it, but I can't say I like the 10% - 20% bonus. . . Don't see a reason for that, as it doesn't really teach anything. Dying in a firewall = Have some more EXP doesn't really equate into a lesson of "Be wary of spells, and be careful".

Take out the EXP bonus, and I kind of like it. I think it would need a way for a caster to dispel whatever spell they currently have out, that way parties don't find themselves standing around as the Firewall burns itself out of the doorway after everything's dead (that is, if they know the spell will hurt them). Otherwise, I wouldn't mind testing it out, if nothing else.

Memnir
10-20-2009, 09:02 AM
I'd hate to see this in action in some of the raids in the game. While it sounds like a potentially good idea, I think this would be too much of an irritant - even if it's just on the roll of a 1 - to be of any sort of an improvement to the game.

/not signed