PDA

View Full Version : Extra feat or no?

Percy_Blankly
10-19-2009, 11:25 AM
It says you get access to the new feat, but is a free feat or just another feat choice?

The reason i ask is because the new feat for sorcs sucks ass if it is not free. It is basically mental toughness.

If there is one thing sorcs did not need improving, it is more mana. How about a extra feat for more spell pen or AN EXTRA 6th or 7th LVL SPELL SLOT!

Lorien_the_First_One
10-19-2009, 11:28 AM
It's not free.

Junts
10-19-2009, 11:28 AM
It says you get access to the new feat, but is a free feat or just another feat choice?

The reason i ask is because the new feat for sorcs sucks ass if it is not free. It is basically mental toughness.

If there is one thing sorcs did not need improving, it is more mana. How about a extra feat for spell pen or AN EXTRA 6th or 7th LVL SPELL SLOT!

Who said you were supposed to be a sorc again after reincarnating from sorc? A better version of mental toughness is a nice perk for any cleric or wizard, who could reincarnate to that class from sorceror to take the feat.

Its clear this system is not designed for people to reincarnate 3 times as the same class.

Lorien_the_First_One
10-19-2009, 11:30 AM
Who said you were supposed to be a sorc again after reincarnating from sorc? A better version of mental toughness is a nice perk for any cleric or wizard, who could reincarnate to that class from sorceror to take the feat.

Its clear this system is not designed for people to reincarnate 3 times as the same class.

/chuckles

OOOO...I can see it now. Next time a sorc pulls a +3 WIS tome or hound cleric shield and keeps it and people freak only to hear "but I'm going to be a FvS on my next reincarnation"

Percy_Blankly
10-19-2009, 11:32 AM

Then clearly there is a flaw in this system.

shores11
10-19-2009, 11:36 AM

If there is one thing sorcs did not need improving, it is more mana. How about a extra feat for more spell pen or AN EXTRA 6th or 7th LVL SPELL SLOT!

If you want spell pen. play a wizard.

iraiqat316
10-19-2009, 11:43 AM
But what I COULD do is take my CLERIC, Past Life him as a Sorc Blast OUT to lvl 20, then TR him BACK to Cleric All for 200 spell points and 4 ability points =) Ummm, I don't think so, Tim.

Percy_Blankly
10-19-2009, 11:50 AM

You do not need to play a Wiz to max spell pen.

I was talking about an extra spell pen feat. It would be nice to have spell pen 32.

Comboii
10-19-2009, 12:18 PM

I don't see where the flaw is. You do not have to take the extra feat. You can reincarnate twice (plus your former life) and play whatever class you want 3 times. You would just get the extra points in the build.

Most of the past life feats are not better than regular feats. I suggest no one burn their feat selection on past life.

Percy_Blankly
10-19-2009, 12:23 PM
I don't see where the flaw is. You do not have to take the extra feat. You can reincarnate twice (plus your former life) and play whatever class you want 3 times. You would just get the extra points in the build.

Most of the past life feats are not better than regular feats. I suggest no one burn their feat selection on past life.

A) The new feats suck.

B)Takes longer to get to 20

C)Only bonus is +2 to build.

D)You lose all tomes, favor, and xp.

Does not seem worth it.

Absolute-Omniscience
10-19-2009, 12:27 PM
A) The new feats suck.

Does not seem worth it.

A) So, 20 minute ram's might on a pure fighter, pure barbarian or pure paladin, sucks?

B) Yep, not too bad.

C) Nope

D) Yep, quite harsh, the tome thing is rediculous. As now everyone will hoard on the tomes and use em at last TR.

Totally worth it. Anything for +2 builds points.

Comboii
10-19-2009, 12:44 PM
A) The new feats suck.

Does not seem worth it.

This has been pointed out over and over again. Almost everyone agrees its not worth it for the simple reason that the amount of "enjoyment" (aka grind) vs reward is too disproportionate.

So topics like this wants to improve the feat to increase the reward factor. But imho won't even make this option anymore attractive. The devs wants this to be "doing it for fun" factor. Something to keep you occupied with the game.

Which ofcourse can be done in so many other ways other than grind (but grind is the simple solution). Its not like this game can turn into COD4 or game where people actually play for fun and not worry about the reward cause there isn't any.

Comboii
10-19-2009, 01:00 PM
A) So, 20 minute ram's might on a pure fighter, pure barbarian or pure paladin, sucks?

Its 3 min per use no matter what the level, it was tested on one of the other threads and you only get 1 per rest.

Now you can make that 20mins if you want... but my question to you is. Where on earth do you have that extra feat in your build that you can afford this?

Most high end builds are literially STARVING for feat spots. Many of them resort to playing human just for an extra feat. So many builds splash fighter and get rangers just for their feat bonuses.

Unless you feel like prancing around feeling special. You ain't giving up feat slots.

Junts
10-19-2009, 01:38 PM

My sorc is maxed for spell pen and dps (both feats, every appropriate enhancement). Who needs to be a wizard and suck?

kaelis
10-19-2009, 01:41 PM
My sorc is maxed for spell pen and dps (both feats, every appropriate enhancement). Who needs to be a wizard and suck?

This. Rep worthy

noinfo
10-19-2009, 02:01 PM

The whole feat thing does nothing to retain the flavour of the previous race or class, for what I believe is a much better solution rather than a single feat to capture what the character was is in my post

http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=207602

ViolentEnd
10-19-2009, 02:02 PM
The feats are mainly just perks, and I'm not sure they should have been included in the first place. TR is a way for old toons that were built based on old game mechanics to reroll without having to grind out gear again (as much gear anyways).
I am sure some folks will build around TRing toons, but I think the majority of people who are going to TR would do it regardless of access to gimick feats or even +2 build points (myself included).

Angelus_dead
10-19-2009, 02:17 PM
That's an understatement: The whole idea is ill-conceived.

SimVerg
10-19-2009, 02:33 PM
The only redeeming feature of the past life feat system is that most of them are not worth a feat(also, the tech is there if they ever decide to implement it in a rational way). The downside is, the ranger past life feat exists and needs to be killed with fire.

Angelus_dead
10-19-2009, 02:41 PM
the ranger past life feat exists and needs to be killed with fire.
It's rather hilarious if you think about it: The defining trait of a "Warrior of the Wild" is your hands get big.

(I would have expected like Manyshot at 3x per day)

SimVerg
10-19-2009, 03:02 PM
It's rather hilarious if you think about it: The defining trait of a "Warrior of the Wild" is your hands get big.

I'm pretty sure that's the aspect of your past life as a ranger you'd most want to remember. The ability to grow body parts so that you can deal additional damage to your target.

Junts
10-19-2009, 04:16 PM
I'm pretty sure that's the aspect of your past life as a ranger you'd most want to remember. The ability to grow body parts so that you can deal additional damage to your target.

Deal additional .. what .. to your ..target?

Inspire
10-19-2009, 04:53 PM

I would have thought one Favored Enemy would be a smart defining feat, albeit maybe a bit overpowered in comparisson.

Absolute-Omniscience
10-19-2009, 06:30 PM
Its 3 min per use no matter what the level, it was tested on one of the other threads and you only get 1 per rest.

Now you can make that 20mins if you want... but my question to you is. Where on earth do you have that extra feat in your build that you can afford this?

Most high end builds are literially STARVING for feat spots. Many of them resort to playing human just for an extra feat. So many builds splash fighter and get rangers just for their feat bonuses.

Unless you feel like prancing around feeling special. You ain't giving up feat slots.

Ah, 3 min per use. I recall Eldarin saying that caster level is character level, so it's not all too fancy then, though still quite nice on a fighter.
If it was 20 min duration:

barb:
twf
itwf
gtwf
pa
cleave
Ram's might
Toughness / IC crit

Same for paladin though you'll take extended as last feat. A fighter has no problems fitting it, obviously.

Bottom line; there are VERY few feats that can compete with 20 min +2 dmg +2 str.

jggbear
10-19-2009, 08:12 PM
Please Devs

Make Past Life Feat a free one!!!1

Please Please Please

They are not powerfull at all

Is a remembrance of ur past life

Make it freee

/signs?

jggbear
10-19-2009, 08:29 PM

Could it be you keep touching poission Ivy, and ur hands got bigger?:p

Spisey
10-19-2009, 10:18 PM
/chuckles

OOOO...I can see it now. Next time a sorc pulls a +3 WIS tome or hound cleric shield and keeps it and people freak only to hear "but I'm going to be a FvS on my next reincarnation"

that's exactly what i was thinking! :p

Though i would not spend a feat on it....

redoubt
10-20-2009, 06:01 PM
Please Devs

Make Past Life Feat a free one!!!1

Please Please Please

They are not powerfull at all

Is a remembrance of ur past life

Make it freee

/signs?

/agree

Comboii
10-20-2009, 10:36 PM
Ah, 3 min per use. I recall Eldarin saying that caster level is character level, so it's not all too fancy then, though still quite nice on a fighter.
If it was 20 min duration:

barb:
twf
itwf
gtwf
pa
cleave
Ram's might
Toughness / IC crit

Same for paladin though you'll take extended as last feat. A fighter has no problems fitting it, obviously.

Bottom line; there are VERY few feats that can compete with 20 min +2 dmg +2 str.

Well then aren't we glad its not 20mins?