PDA

View Full Version : Paladin with a Bastard Sword

CarlDana
10-18-2009, 11:41 PM
Hi all. Im new to the game and currently have a level 3 paladin. I was just wondering, I have gone for a bastard sword, bought the proficiency and all. The question is...is this gonna gimp my character? Ive gone for the B-Sword because of the high damage and the crit threat range. Was this a good move?

Look forwards to your replies.

Brennie
10-19-2009, 12:17 AM
It won't "Gimp" you, but its certainly isn't an optimal choice, especially for a class taht doesn't have alot of feats to throw around.

The extra damage amounts to 1 damage on average, when compared to a longsword (Which has teh same crit range). This in itself isn't very worthwhile. Khopesh, on the other hand, have decent crit range and high crit multiplier, making them ideal 1-handed weapons for anyone who wants to use an exotic profeciency feat.

Scimitars are also very good weapons, just for their 18-20 crit range, which becomes a whopping 14-10 with improved crit: slashing. Plus, no need to use a feat!

If you ever decide you don't like your bastard sword profeciency, you can always talk to Fred the Mindflayer to replace it with something you'd rather have.

yams
10-19-2009, 12:52 AM
I would say it was not a good move, especially if you are going pure Paladin. Of course, it depends on your build; maybe you'd have an extra feat slot at level 20 anwyay. The folks over at R&J Cyberware have a fantastic (free) product called DDO Character Planner. It lets you design a build from level 1 to 20, with all feats, skill points, enhancements, etc. I'd suggest inputting your present build, and seeing where you can get by 20. If you're not happy with it, switch out the feat or reroll.

Angelus_dead
10-19-2009, 02:27 AM
Ive gone for the B-Sword because of the high damage and the crit threat range. Was this a good move?
Threat range is particularly important for a Paladin, as it improves Exalted Smite and Divine Sacrifice... but a scimitar has better threat range than bastard, and you already know it without costing a feat.

There are ways to replace a feat you've already chosen, and it would be a good idea to look into them. The standard exotic feat for Paladins is Khopesh.

deadkitty
10-19-2009, 03:17 AM
Hi all. Im new to the game and currently have a level 3 paladin. I was just wondering, I have gone for a bastard sword, bought the proficiency and all. The question is...is this gonna gimp my character? Ive gone for the B-Sword because of the high damage and the crit threat range. Was this a good move?

Look forwards to your replies.

Here is my suggestion, Bastard swords are good weapons, not as good as a khopesh but 3 times as cheap to buy good ones. At low level the feat is great to have. But as you level up you should swap it out since by that time you wont have trouble hitting anything. All buffed up at end game a -4 to your attack isn't going to make a difference. Bastard swords are great DPS weapons and they are fairly cheap for good ones. Hope this helps,