PDA

View Full Version : Some quick math

Vendra
10-16-2009, 03:15 PM
With some help I was able to calculate how much quest xp you need for each reaincarnation up to your 3rd try. So assuming this table (
http://achievebalance.com/ddo/adventureareas.htm) is still accurate the total possible xp for all outdoor areas up to mod 8 is 1,460,547. That means you need to get 1,678,703 in quest xp for the first reincarnation and 2,917,953 quest xp for the second reincarnation. And if you are crazy enough to go for the 3rd you need 4,412,203 quest xp. I am willing to bet there is just not that much quest xp available even with xp potions, repeating the quest, and the boost you get for doing it first time on N/H/E. Granted I am not taking optional quest objectives into account.

Anneliese
10-16-2009, 04:18 PM
I think the key will be not to do quests "under" your level most of the time.

For example, dont run gwylans stand on elite until you are level 10.

Milk all the lower quests, you can still get good XP from a level 13 quest on elite at character level 19!

I havent done the math, but at a last resort, you could "hold up" your levels, meaning you wont advance unless you have to. The are a ton of quests with a lot of XP at the low and medium range.

Hokonoso
10-17-2009, 12:33 PM
guess no one got the memo that said they were adding tons of new quests with this mod... nope, didn't think so...

Natashaelle
10-17-2009, 01:01 PM
I think the key will be not to do quests "under" your level most of the time.

For example, dont run gwylans stand on elite until you are level 10.

Milk all the lower quests, you can still get good XP from a level 13 quest on elite at character level 19!

This method would lead to XP *loss* sorry -- running any Q below level provides exactly the same XP - unless you're being powerlevelled -- but you *lose* XP if you run them above their level. Probably not much of an issue after one TR, but after the 2nd then *any* source of XP loss should really be completely avoided I would guess.

The tactics that you *should* avoid though would be waiting too long to do some of the high XP quests, ie until you are too high level to get the proper XP from them ;)

I havent done the math, but at a last resort, you could "hold up" your levels, meaning you wont advance unless you have to. The are a ton of quests with a lot of XP at the low and medium range.

If you forget about TR this tactic is a bit perverse and not much good, because while you *do* ensure better XP per Quest, OTOH you are limiting yourself from doing some higher level quests (typically with better XP, Amrath notwithstanding) by not levelling up. All things being equal it's fairly pointless, except that with TR and 2xTR all things are no longer equal, so that this could be a good idea for some Reincarnates :)

SimVerg
10-17-2009, 01:10 PM
Third reincarnation doesn't take more xp than the second.

Tanka
10-17-2009, 03:04 PM
Third reincarnation doesn't take more xp than the second.
Presumably because there is no 3rd Reincarnation (http://forums.ddo.com/showpost.php?p=2469089&postcount=1).

If you're too lazy to go read it in whole:

[...]When you reincarnate, your character will become taller, you'll have a special status icon on your name, and you'll begin your "new life" in Stormreach with extra ability points! You may True Reincarnate a character up to two times, for a total of 36 points.[...]
(Emphasis mine.)

SimVerg
10-17-2009, 03:25 PM
Presumably because there is no 3rd Reincarnation (http://forums.ddo.com/showpost.php?p=2469089&postcount=1).

If you're too lazy to go read it in whole:

(Emphasis mine.)

http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?&postid=2479011#post2479011

Freeman
10-17-2009, 03:31 PM
http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?&postid=2479011#post2479011

So you plan on doing more than two Trues, even though you get no benefit for it?

Tanka
10-17-2009, 03:41 PM
So you plan on doing more than two Trues, even though you get no benefit for it?
I suppose the benefit is "fix a broken character very expensively".

Freeman
10-17-2009, 03:43 PM
I suppose the benefit is "fix a broken character very expensively".

Well, if someone haven't gotten it right after two Trues, I don't think there's much that can be done to help them.

Tanka
10-17-2009, 03:44 PM
Well, if someone haven't gotten it right after two Trues, I don't think there's much that can be done to help them.
Player failure isn't the only way to "break" a character. Remember when Evasion worked in Med/Heavy armor?

Hokonoso
10-17-2009, 03:50 PM
Player failure isn't the only way to "break" a character. Remember when Evasion worked in Med/Heavy armor?

good point, the 3rd TR is for when (not if) the devs break your class/combo to smithereens!

Freeman
10-17-2009, 04:36 PM
good point, the 3rd TR is for when (not if) the devs break your class/combo to smithereens!

Yeah, but by that point, hopefully they've worked out some way to change class levels, so a regular reincarnation will also work.

Tanka
10-17-2009, 04:38 PM
Yeah, but by that point, hopefully they've worked out some way to change class levels, so a regular reincarnation will also work.
One would hope, but since they're adding all these PrEs and not putting in a non-True Reincarnation method of changing your class levels now, well, I wouldn't bother putting stock in it if I were you.

Don't get me wrong, I hope they do, but if they aren't now...

Natashaelle
10-17-2009, 06:24 PM

Also for some people who prefer the levelling up better than the playing at end game ; and messing about with possibilities.

Anyway, I think XP needed should remain constant from TR2 onwards, unless goalposts get shifted by Turbine ofc ;)

Favis
10-18-2009, 02:48 PM
good points

Narninian
10-18-2009, 06:06 PM
I suppose technically there is "reason" to true rez and get more past life feats unlocked past the 2nd time. Of course considering most of them aren't worth a feat slot (or *barely* worth it for certain feat/class combos), that would be the ultimate testament to one's masochism.

Tanka
10-18-2009, 06:13 PM
It might be worth taking one or two specific Past Life fights with a pure Fighter, considering the number of feats they get anyway.

bobbryan2
10-18-2009, 06:15 PM

The first two Trues have no bearing on if you screw up the final incarnation. They might have gotten the first two incarnation perfect, and then screwed something up on the final one. I don't see why you assume someone screwed up all along the way. Remember, True Reincarnation isn't around to fix screw ups.

guess no one got the memo that said they were adding tons of new quests with this mod... nope, didn't think so...

5 quests is a ton. That's a nice world to live in. They weren't exactly XP power houses either. They were like Amrath-lite.

FluffyCalico
10-18-2009, 11:43 PM

Building a character around a known broken mechanic that is very expected to be corrected is definately what I would call player failure...:eek:

Tanka
10-19-2009, 12:04 AM
Building a character around a known broken mechanic that is very expected to be corrected is definately what I would call player failure...:eek:
Only the lead dev at the peak of its use had specifically said it would never be changed.

So, no, it wasn't player failure. It was developer failure to not have a respec feature ready for use once they announced its change.