PDA

View Full Version : What are the first 2 must have Adventure packs that I should buy?

thomasward00
10-16-2009, 12:57 PM
What are the first 2 must have Adventure packs that I should buy on the DDO Store? I love the game, but want to pay as I go...

Thanks in advance

Zenako
10-16-2009, 01:19 PM
There is no single perfect answer to that question.

Do you play alone (ie Solo) mostly, or with groups?

What type of playstyle do you enjoy? Melee, Arcane, or something else?

How far along in the game are you?

How much do you play? Some packs have a lot of stuff to do in them and have a better shelf life. But others are major stepping stones in getting gear you might want at higher levels, but might not really be as much fun now.

Do you play multiple characters or only focus on a single one?

etc

thomasward00
10-16-2009, 03:04 PM
I'm currently lvl 2 with both my chars, I would like to break things down to maybe 3 or 4 buying sessions, basically buy as I go....

BereanMalachi
10-16-2009, 04:08 PM
Buying packs is going to be a funny thing, especially to blindly give advice only considering your levels. however stk is a small 3 quest chain that holds a bit of xp considering normal normal normal hard hard hard elite elite not tho mention the no level required ff ring out of there is super super nice!!!! however by the time you leave the harbor and korthos you will be close to level 6 if youre doing favor on all ect stk will be too low for you.
There is the catacombs but wow the damage to wepons in there is utterly stupid, but it is like 5? 7? small quests and really good xp and favor.

Not knowing if you are a group player or a solo artist like some others may be I would have to say for xp , re-playability, general fun of quests and outdoor areas, plenty to do plenty xp, decent stories, and the fact that once you leave the harbor you will prolly be level 5-7 I am a big fan of three must have adventure packs

Deleras 4 quests in range from 7-9 deals with undead, end loot is great for almost any character best played with a group. No explorers or rares here just 4 dungeon quests best played with a group that is well rounded.

Tangleroot gorge i think this is a 7 part mini-series, loads of xp ranges in level 4-8 on normal great end rewards flesh render goggles pop out immediately 1 clicky of i think 10 minute deathward best played with a group soloable outdoors area for rares, slayer, and loot

The final i would consider for lower characters as a must have is the sorrow dusk isle adventure pack grey moon 4 quests short quick not tons of xp but enough to top off levels. the outdoors area is generally nice, visually stimulating, and always rares, slayers, and loot with lots of caves to explore. Also in the sorrow dusk isle pack is the cult of the six mini series about 5 quests loads of xp 2 ranks on normal i believe. also included in the slayers , explores, and loot catagory.

In conclusion I have given you 4 to chose from and these are really good staples for leveling fast as well. to narrow it down for you I would stick with Tangle root, and sorrow dusk isle. Thes both incorporate soloable outdoors areas as well as a really good grouping opportunity for xp, and social interaction. !!!

good luck i hope this will help

burkoJames
10-18-2009, 08:13 PM
I dont have the numbers on me, but Catacombs (level 3-7 i think) is one of the best favor/TP ratios in the store, and Sarrowdusk Isle is the best short of some level 17 quest chain and the 19-20 chain. so those are good to buy, on a pure favor consideration. The first three parts of the necropolis line are good too.

Lithic
10-18-2009, 08:17 PM
If you expect to play alot near the cap of lvl 20, get the twighlight vale. You get 3 often-run raids with good to awesome rewards, as well as 5 interesting quests, and 2 huge wilderness areas. Another really good purchase for leveling is gianthold. Note that both of these are high level adventures. If you are on a budget, dont buy any low or mid level packs as all the free content stops at lvl 12. If you wish to make it to lvl 20 without mind numbing grinding, you will absolutely need at least one of the high level packs at around lvl 13-16.

sirgog
10-18-2009, 08:22 PM
If you expect to play alot near the cap of lvl 20, get the twighlight vale. You get 3 often-run raids with good to awesome rewards, as well as 5 interesting quests, and 2 huge wilderness areas. Another really good purchase for leveling is gianthold. Note that both of these are high level adventures. If you are on a budget, dont buy any low or mid level packs as all the free content stops at lvl 12. If you wish to make it to lvl 20 without mind numbing grinding, you will absolutely need at least one of the high level packs at around lvl 13-16.

I agree with that. My sig has a link to a review of each pack that I wrote. There are *no* must-have packs at low or medium level, although some are worthwhile such as Delara's Tomb.

IMO the Vale of Twilight is the #1 must-have. Gianthold is recommended but to be honest may be replaced by the Demon Sands come the upcoming update (as the Desert will be the site of the game's endgame).

Reaver's Refuge is cheap and worthy of consideration too.

Noonie
10-19-2009, 12:10 AM
I found this thread a while back and it sure helped me to decide on which packs i wanted to purchase. Enjoy :)
http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=199945

Now I'm just waiting for them to come on sale again.

Arnya
10-19-2009, 12:47 AM
I dont have the numbers on me, but Catacombs (level 3-7 i think) is one of the best favor/TP ratios in the store, and Sarrowdusk Isle is the best short of some level 17 quest chain and the 19-20 chain. so those are good to buy, on a pure favor consideration. The first three parts of the necropolis line are good too.

The problem is, even with the good favour, Catacombs and Necro just don't get run. I would add 3BC to this list too...

This can lead to players getting very frustrated with their new purchase and being reluctant to buy more content.

The most popular quests that have been made into packs are, in my opinion:

- STK: Small Explorer Zone, 3 quests, the last of which can be a challenge to newer players on elite settings. End chest can drop the Ring of Feathers (Permanent Featherfall, no ML). End rewards list contains a lot of nice BTA +2 stat items, Trapblast Goggles (+4 reflex save, no ML), and a few nice but not great weapons. Awesome maps. Nice XP for the level.

- Tangleroot: Explorer Zone with 750 max kills, 7 quests including two 2-parters for a total of 9 instances; although all set in only 2 dungeon maps. The last part or 2 on elite can drop +1 tomes (Level 8 quests or higher), great storyline, great maps and a boatload of awesome end rewards including Guard of the Flesh Render goggles (Deathward clicky 1/rest - used by vets all the way to lvl20), +3 stat items, the crimson Gemstone (Wizardry II, ML 5) and a few other niceties. Great XP - part 5a was THE XP farming run a few mods ago.

- Delera's: About 7 quests, pretty much all undead enemies so some gear is an advantage, a good mix of quest level ranges. Several standalone quests and a 4 part chain which gives some of the best rewards in the game including the Golden Cartouche (+2 to UMD, ML7), the Voice of the Master (+5% quest XP and +1 luck(?) bonus to all skills, no ML), Iron manacles (+4 deflection, non-lawful I think) and Carnifex (Greataxe, 19-20 crit range - stacks with imp crit:slash, ML4). Awesome XP - Thrall of the Necromancer is one of the most farmed for XP quests and can drop +1 tomes on all difficulties.

- Sorrowdusk Isle: Explorer Zone with 1500 max kills, 10 quests, great XP and favour, Nice rewards for the second arc including the Mummified Bat trinket (Permanent featherfall, ML7). Used to drop +2 tomes way back when - I have seen a lot of world drops from this area including Mace of Smiting, Sunblade and +1 tomes regularly. Great variance in maps and enemies.

Hope this helps - when I go Premium, these are the forst 4 packs I will buy.

Vest: Please correct any mistakes and I'll edit this post :)

Rune
10-19-2009, 05:40 AM
For low levels, I'd suggest The Sharn Syndicate.

End rewards include "Nicked" weapons that are BtA and pretty nice to have. It's also a great way to get Coin Lord faction early for that all important 4th bag slot.

It contains the Come Out and Slay quest that is the most fun quest I have done. City alleys and runing along rooftops..... What can be better than that?

Shamurai
10-19-2009, 11:16 AM
I recently purchased severl packs but can only comment on a few as I've not played them all yet .. for some my toons are way to low level.

~ STK ~ Seems like a great series... I keep PUG'ing with zergers though that leave me behind and I've got lost a few times until eventually something killed me and I had to release.
- Completed the arc once with one character (no Ring of FF) but was a great arc

~ Delara's ~ Looove it!!! challenging, Lots of undead to kill (I hates the undead) and great loot. No +1 tomes yet but I've only run the arc twice

~ Tangleroot gorge - Man I wish I had done these instead of most of thse harbor and Market quests - Great loot for the level. I didn't get lost!!!!! (I hates getting lost) currently.. all three of my toons are logged out in that tavern that gets me to the gorge, and not likely to leave till all have finished the arc on elite. I used my lvl 8 Pally (over leveled for the arc) to solo with a hireling to learn the lay of the land now to bring my smaller toons through.

From what I'm hearing I need to start exploring Sorrowdusk now as well (which I own)

Baervan
10-21-2009, 09:49 AM
What are the first 2 must have Adventure packs that I should buy on the DDO Store? I love the game, but want to pay as I go...

Thanks in advance

Tangleroot and Sorrowdusk are the two I'd go with. Both series give you decent Xp and loot and should you want to do solo explorer/slayer you can do that as well in both regions.

Hokonoso
10-23-2009, 09:57 PM
before you blow money in the store and decide how much you like the game i suggest paying $15 and going VIP for 1 month and if at the end of the month you do not like the game quit, $15 isn't a huge loss but buying packs is permanent and VERY costly, you will spend way more than $15 and you don't get to experience but only a portion of the game. and to make things worse, if you do end up liking the game you will end up paying the $15/mo anyways as you won't be able to experience endgame cheaply otherwise.

i tell all my friends this and they have agree'd it is much better to play 1 month at $15 and cancel subscription than to do anything else with your money.

scottmike0
04-19-2011, 02:53 PM
before you blow money in the store and decide how much you like the game i suggest paying $15 and going VIP for 1 month and if at the end of the month you do not like the game quit, $15 isn't a huge loss but buying packs is permanent and VERY costly, you will spend way more than $15 and you don't get to experience but only a portion of the game. and to make things worse, if you do end up liking the game you will end up paying the $15/mo anyways as you won't be able to experience endgame cheaply otherwise.

i tell all my friends this and they have agree'd it is much better to play 1 month at $15 and cancel subscription than to do anything else with your money.

True that vip is better cost efficant but, i'd say during those vip months save up your points and you will be able to by most exceelent packs if you do.

As we all know Vale is the first pack to choose, but the other pack i would go with would be catacombs due to the favor you earn from it, tangleroot = wow thats alot of favor yet its very costly if you do tangleroot so
reroll 16 times if you can all you do is earn 100 favor on each and you will end up with 1600 points, that could get you alot more, just make sure you got a favor guy so you can keep up with rerolling character and the main favor alt

wax_on_wax_off
04-19-2011, 03:24 PM
Yay random necro!

ArloOne
04-19-2011, 03:26 PM
Deleras and Gianthold

'nuff said!

Sydril
04-19-2011, 03:32 PM
Don't buy anything.

Level up your characters on free to play content

http://ddowiki.com/page/Guide_to_Free_to_Play

once you get up a few levels or so you'll have a better feel for the game. There's a few guides floating around. Anyone can recommend an adventure pack but that all comes down to taste and circumstances.

The other thing you can do if you really really love the game is go v.i.p. and play everything.

Welcome aboard.

wax_on_wax_off
04-19-2011, 05:36 PM
http://www.specsappeal.net/8078.jpg

And the travesty continues.

UnderwearModel
04-19-2011, 05:44 PM
Delera's and Tangleroot.

Delera's you can get the Voice of the Master for a constant 5% EXP boost. Plus some other nice end reward loot. Delera's is run quite often.

Tangleroot you can get teh Visor of the Flesh Render Guards and some other excellent level 5 end reward items. In Tangleroot, make sure you hit all the collectibles you can, you just might get a Lightning Split Soarwood. Tangleroot is run quite often.

der_kluge
04-19-2011, 05:46 PM
You don't need to purchase anything until about level 10ish.

That said, if you really want to, I'd recommend Sharn syndicate around level 4 or so, because the quests are pretty short, most can be solo'd and the loot is actually really quite good.

Then I would suggest Delera's - also for the loot, and the amazing XP that comes with it.

If you want a couple of cheaper ones, I'd go with Sharn and maybe Catacombs (both around level 4ish).

Those definitely aren't the best packs overall in the game - if I had to recommend two packs over the entire game, I'd probably go with Sands and Vale, personally. But mostly because I'm not a huge, huge fan of Gianthold.

nolaureltree000
04-19-2011, 06:03 PM
gianthold then the vale of twilight. you could also swap out the demon sands for gianthold if you want access to some epic content come cap, although youd probably level to cap more quickly going with gianthold.

with both of those, youll be able to get to level 20 fairly easily and it will give you 3 raids, 3 slayer areas, and access to greensteel crafting. plus the gainthold pre-raid (gianthold tor) is a good money making quest. each of the colored dragon scales sell for ~100k pp each, the whites for less and blues for more.

if you are on a budget, you dont really need to buy any lower level adventure packs as there is more than enough XP in all the f2p content to get you through the lower levels. having lower level adventure packs just speeds up how quickly you can level as you can cherry-pick all the high xp quests to run at each level.

id also direct you to check out this guide: http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=287854

Brennie
04-19-2011, 06:15 PM
If you plan on playing entirely free, or with very little money investment, then whatever you do *DO NOT BUY LOW LEVEL CONTENT*

This may be a controversial statement, but like all things in life, its better to plan ahead and gear up for the long haul. While there are some good low-level packs with some good low-level rewards, there is more than enough low level content to run that you will never even notice the absence of a few of the low levels packs. Couple that with the fact that even an undergeared player can make it to the midlevels with ease, and that you would outlevel your shiny awesome low-level pack loot, and you find that the low level packs (while great) are entirely skippable to a frugal player.

So whats the plan then? Glad you asked! Look for High level content! Once your characters get up to 10ish, free content starts thinning. Once they get to 15ish, it dissapears altogether. If you want to keep going upwards and eventually reach level 20, as well as experience some of the best/most popular content with some of the best/most popular items in the game (Items which will serve you well for the rest of your character's career, TRs included) you will NEED to scrimp and save and get some of those awesome high level Packs!

Recommendations? Why yes, i do have some!

Vale of Twilight - First and foremost. The best pack in the game, hands down. Level 15-20 content. Two explorer zones (Although one of these explorer zones is not exactly someplace you wanna run around in solo), THREE of the most popular raids including THE most popular raid, Namely the Thirteenth Eclipse (aka Shroud), Hound of Xoriat and Vision of Destruction, and some of the best gear in the game INCLUDING Greensteel, the mix-and-match make-your-own weapon/item system that yields some of the best weapons in the game. Get this. Run this. Love this.

Gianthold - 10-18 Content, 1 popular raid, and some great items. Large explorer zone, and about 10 quests. Its fun, easy to find groups for, and offers a ton of XP, with very little grinding involved.

Sand of Mecca-lecca-hi-mecca-hidey-ho - 10-17 content, also contains Epics (level 20 content). Huge Explorer zone, some fantastic loot, very varied enemies (Drow and undead and gnolls, oh my!), and a Raid! Best of all, epic content (though not terribly popular, as far as epic content goes). This ties with gianthold.

Devils of Shaggybreath - 17-20 content. Some of the hardest non-epic quests in the game, and dropping some of the best non-epic loot in the game. Contains an explorer zone, and about 5-6 quests and the Hardest non-epic raid in the game. The XP can fill in after Vale to get you to 20, and the items are well worth it.

Reavers Refuse - 16-20 (?) Only has 4 quests, but has 4 small "theme" explorer zones, and allows you to make mix-and-match Dragontouched armor, which can be some of the best armor in the game. Lack of content, annoyance factor (Traveling to and from is a pain), and devaluing of Dragontouched put it lower on the list. However, its still a popular grouping spot, and Drgaontouched can do a lot of great/unique things (ESPECIALLY for someone who like guards on their armor!)

Insipid Quarter/Dreaming Dork - 16-20 (?) Renown for being a source of quick XP and Platinum (Via tons of junk loot), this is an easy way to level from 16 to 20. No explorer zone in either. Having one of these practically necessitates having the other. Has some nice loot, mostly for casters, but nothing I'd call "essential".

Delaras Tomb - For levels 5-9. Wait, what? Whats this lowbie pack doing in here? I thought you said no lowbie packs! Okay, so i lied. Delaras tomb offers some fantastic loot, including the fabled Voice of the Master (+1 saves and skills and 5% bonus XP while worn). This is a very popular quest chain in its level range, and is easy to find groups for. The Voice of the master alone makes it worth it, as it means less time scrounging up XP in higher level quests (by a whole 5%), as well as giving a large amount of XP in its own right. PLus it has one of the best UMD items in the game (Golden Cartouche) and one of the best lowbie weapons in the game (Carnifex: Useful from 4 to 12). This is a VERY strong pack, but make sure you have a clear leveling path to 20 before indulging in this one!

And finally, a piece of advice - Buy packs and only packs. Race and Classes may be shiny, but they are useless if you find yourself capped at level 13. Account options are nice, but should be saved until after you have plenty of stuff to actually *do* in game. Shared Bank is fantastic, and the only way to transfer account-bound items, but you need to buy the packs taht drop account bound items in the first place! And finally NEVER EVER spend turbine points on something that you could buy with in-game platinum. Tomes, Weapons, Armor, Potions, Wands, etc. By level 20, most characters are rolling in so much platinum that they are giving away items equivalent to the "gear" sold in the DDO store. Its not worth sacrificing future Adventure Packs or Account Options just so your lowbie can get some junky sword that they will outgrow in a a couple hours worth of play anyway.

Good Luck and Have Fun!

AmatsukaIncarnate
04-19-2011, 06:18 PM
Vale of Twilight can keep you occupied for months if not years with greensteel crafting which you will, no doubt, want to be doing at endgame.

Before that, I would recommend Gianthold over Sands because Gianthold has more quests to run while Sands offers better loot imo. (Maybe cause anyone with a blue bar can use a Torc)

So I think Gianthold and VoT should be good bets.

Delera's will get you to Gianthold faster so I recommend that too.

WarDestroyer
04-19-2011, 06:20 PM
Vale.

wax_on_wax_off
04-20-2011, 01:21 AM
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=155983&stc=1&d=1282248052

This is like a necromancer convention.

elujin
04-20-2011, 01:22 AM
Yay random necro!

http://www.specsappeal.net/8078.jpg

And the travesty continues.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=155983&stc=1&d=1282248052

lol stop necroing this thread wax :P

wax_on_wax_off
04-20-2011, 01:40 AM
lol stop necroing this thread wax :P

God, I'm so glad I found you, all these necromancers seemed to have their vision tuned in so that they can only see dead things and are totally ignoring me!

Antheal
04-20-2011, 02:01 AM
There are three:

Delera's Graveyard. (This should keep you going from levels 5-10.)
The Runs of Gianthold. (This should keep you going from levels 10-15.)
The Vale of Twilight. (This should keep you going from levels 15-20.)

Pick any two and have fun.

elujin
04-20-2011, 02:04 AM
God, I'm so glad I found you, all these necromancers seemed to have their vision tuned in so that they can only see dead things and are totally ignoring me!

There are three:

Delera's Graveyard. (This should keep you going from levels 5-10.)
The Runs of Gianthold. (This should keep you going from levels 10-15.)
The Vale of Twilight. (This should keep you going from levels 15-20.)

Pick any two and have fun.

lol ... i sees dead posts ... beeing posted like regular posts

Brennie
04-20-2011, 04:49 AM

Necro'd or not, the info is still relevant (just not to the original poster)>

Also I put a lot of time into my colorful post alright D:?!

wax_on_wax_off
04-20-2011, 05:05 AM
Necro'd or not, the info is still relevant (just not to the original poster)>

Also I put a lot of time into my colorful post alright D:?!

Lmao, yeah, i especially liked your post.

Like the necromancer who has to outdo all the other necromancers by making this zombie dance a jig or play the harmonica (/weeze).

Did you get a tshirt?

Osco
11-05-2011, 09:40 PM
Well, some of us cash-poor returning noobs appreciate the info in threads like these! :D

BOgre
11-05-2011, 10:45 PM
not to mention the fact that there's a lot of content newer than the OP date... I'd still say Gianthold and Vale, but I'm going to guess that the House C quests are pretty important now. Inspired Quarter is really cool, has great loot, and covers a particularly xp-dry level range...