PDA

View Full Version : Need Help

ThomasLien
10-16-2009, 11:10 AM
Hello all, I am new to DDO. After palying for a couple of weeks I have restarted about 10 times trying to find the right character. Right now I would like to go pure Paladin but I cannot find a pure paladin build. Everyone seem to be multiclassing. I will solo most of the time. If any one can help me that would be great. this is what I would like, in order of importance.
1. Pure Human Paladin 28pt build no tomes
2. Single handed Slashing weapons (or recommend if there is a better option) or
3. Board and Sword (if this works on this character)
3. Healing
Would like to be a decent fighter who can keep himself alive with self healing or wands and such. I do have the character planner but it is really difficult when you don't know what interacts with what. I just don't want to accidentally gimp myself out of something at a high level and feel the need to reroll. Thanks guys and gals for all your help.

Chiapet
10-16-2009, 11:16 AM
Hi. After reading your post, I got a few things to offer.

1. Being a Pali, you can use heal wands from level 1.
2. You will get heal spells begining at I think level 3 or 4.

As far as a Pali build, you need a good strength, decent DEX, decent CON, and more than decent CHA. Your "Lay on Hands" spell and spell points will be based off your CHA, so keep that in mind.

As far as weapons go, I would go with either Bastard Sword or Khopsh, as they both have good crit ranges. If you are going Human, then you will have the extra feat selection that you can use to take one of these 2 weapons feats. I would highly recommend going sword & board if you do not want to do TWF.

I hope this helps. Good questing.

Bronko
10-16-2009, 10:59 PM
Hi. After reading your post, I got a few things to offer.

1. Being a Pali, you can use heal wands from level 1.
2. You will get heal spells begining at I think level 3 or 4.

As far as a Pali build, you need a good strength, decent DEX, decent CON, and more than decent CHA. Your "Lay on Hands" spell and spell points will be based off your CHA, so keep that in mind.

As far as weapons go, I would go with either Bastard Sword or Khopsh, as they both have good crit ranges. If you are going Human, then you will have the extra feat selection that you can use to take one of these 2 weapons feats. I would highly recommend going sword & board if you do not want to do TWF.

I hope this helps. Good questing.

Just to clarify: the spell points for Paladins is determined by the wisdom score, not charisma. Charisma does, as you've correctly stated, affect your Lay On Hands ability.

Also, it is my understanding that a khopesh will out DPS a bastard sword. Especially once you get the Improved Critical: Slashing feat.

My opinion on stats is to have a high strength (at least 16), decent con (at least 14) and a charisma of 12 or 14. Your wisdom will need to be at least 14 in order to cast the highest level spells but that score can be boosted by items so an 8 or 10 is all you really need. Dex will never need to be higher than 16, including boosts from items, so a starting dexterity of 8-10 is also fine. For a 28-point build that would give you something like this for starting stats:

strength - 16
dexterity - 10
constitution - 14
intelligence - 10
wisdom - 10
charisma - 14

I also agree with Chiapet that you should go for a sword-and-board build. That plays to a Paladin's strengths.