PDA

View Full Version : Raging Doombringer (new build, free account)

Gray_Bodhisattva
10-16-2009, 06:07 AM
Okay, I've been working on this build, either 11barb/7cleric/2fighter 12barb/7cleric/1fighter or 11barb/9cleric. I'm currently 2barb/3cleric and getting my cleric levels first.

My goals are:
Above average DPS through TWF
Tanking ability through high DR, above average AC, self buffs, S&B and self healing
Above average Spell Resistance through normal SR and high saves
support healing and buffing(buffs that most healbots would not ready)
average solo ability(out of classes that CAN feasibly solo)
And most importantly FUN

My current starting build looks like this:
Human(i know other races are more favorable particularly dwarves but I don't like the way they look)
Str 15 Dex 15 Con 14 INT 8 WIS 14 CHA 8 (at start adding 2 more dex and 3 str through level increases)
Feats: TWF OTWF eventually ITWF GTWF (the rest are still undecided, also an EWF kopeshes or bastard swords, I just think bastard swords look cooler)

I'm looking for suggestions and advice on enhancements and feasability. Also looking for suggestions on a splash class besides fighter. I would really appreciate the help, I also plan on respecing feats at levels 10 and 20, and redoing enhancements at 5 10 15 and 20. Please advise.

Gray_Bodhisattva
10-16-2009, 07:21 AM
Please feel free to post any thoughts you have about this as well. End game advice would be helpful.

Carlll
10-16-2009, 08:11 AM
You're sacrificing a lot of melee power for meager self heals. Thats not horrible for soloing i guess but will reduce your character's value in groups a lot.

"Carrying buffs that healbots wouldnt" you can forget. If a real Cleric doesnt bring it, he either forgot about it or you dont need it. There arent that many great Clerical buffs that you would need a splash Cleric along to have enough spell slots.

You cant heal yourself while raged. Oops.

Your DPS certainly wont be "above average" because you're throwing away so much melee ability. If you were at least going for Divine Might to achieve some synergy with the Cleric levels it may not be horrible, but as it is you lose a lot of DPS for the ability to heal yourself like a level 7 Cleric from levels 9-20.

If you enjoy the build, sure, keep playing it.
For groups, it's a horrible build. That doesnt mean that you wont find groups of course but your character wont be particularly helpful.

Thoughts about end game... True Reincarnation into something useful.

Gray_Bodhisattva
10-16-2009, 08:36 AM
You're sacrificing a lot of melee power for meager self heals. Thats not horrible for soloing i guess but will reduce your character's value in groups a lot.

"Carrying buffs that healbots wouldnt" you can forget. If a real Cleric doesnt bring it, he either forgot about it or you dont need it. There arent that many great Clerical buffs that you would need a splash Cleric along to have enough spell slots.

Your DPS certainly wont be "above average" because you're throwing away so much melee ability. If you were at least going for Divine Might to achieve some synergy with the Cleric levels it may not be horrible, but as it is you lose a lot of DPS for the ability to heal yourself like a level 7 Cleric from levels 9-20.

If you enjoy the build, sure, keep playing it.
For groups, it's a horrible build. That doesnt mean that you wont find groups of course but your character wont be particularly helpful.

Thoughts about end game... True Reincarnation into something useful.

This build is mainly for the tank role in groups. Intimidate skill will be very high. And everyone knows Barb hit points are...oceanic for heal spells, so I figured my high HP and AC/DR would help alot in those areas when combined with self healing and specific self buffs. What about the Barb11/Cleric9 build?

tihocan
10-16-2009, 08:43 AM
This build is mainly for the tank role in groups. Intimidate skill will be very high. And everyone knows Barb hit points are...oceanic for heal spells, so I figured my high HP and AC/DR would help alot in those areas when combined with self healing and specific self buffs. What about the Barb11/Cleric9 build?
The thing is, at end game you won't be self healing... you can't cast spells or use scrolls while raging. Your AC will be too low to matter. You won't have 100% success on Heal scrolls either.
It can be a fun solo build because it's giving you some self-sufficiency to buff yourself a bit and heal up between fights, although it's not going to match the solo-ability of a caster, cleric or high AC evasion melee.
But as said above, in a group you'll basically be a lower DPS melee and people will be reluctant to let you in in raid groups unless you can establish your reputation on your server.

cforce
10-16-2009, 08:47 AM

Quoted for empahsis. This is what's killed every single Cleric/Barb hybrid I've ever come up with.

Also, Barbarians don't really have the AC resources that Paladins and Fighters do for tanking; most barbarians should only be hitting intimidate as a debuff, not because they're trying to take 4-5 mobs worth of aggro. (This changes somewhat in a few end-game raids, but is true through most of the game.)

Honestly, for your stated goals, a Fighter (Stalwart Defender)/Cleric hybrid sounds like it would suit you muuuuch better.

Gray_Bodhisattva
SO basically its not good at anything, however I have developed a technique in which I dismiss range, restore, run in circles while healing, then rage again. But with a barb/cleric build you see no feasible way to be anything decent in raid groups?

Original
You need to be very carefull with this build. There is ways to make it work. I would suggest 12 cleric / 6barbarian / 2rogue.
Take rogue at first level for skill points then you can use UMD - best skill in game
And evaison - Rogue levels will help for intimidate and whatever else your looking to do.
Cleric levels for MAX/EMP/Quiken Blade Barriers and Divine Might
Barbarian for speed and rage.

Whichever way you go with this build I would suggest finding out how you want to build it and reroll.
Your only level 5, so rerolling isnt so bad now.

Gray_Bodhisattva
10-16-2009, 08:48 AM
Quoted for empahsis. This is what's killed every single Cleric/Barb hybrid I've ever come up with.

Also, Barbarians don't really have the AC resources that Paladins and Fighters do for tanking; most barbarians should only be hitting intimidate as a debuff, not because they're trying to take 4-5 mobs worth of aggro. (This changes somewhat in a few end-game raids, but is true through most of the game.)

Honestly, for your stated goals, a Fighter (Stalwart Defender)/Cleric hybrid sounds like it would suit you muuuuch better.

+6 str/con and barb enhancements wouldn't equal it out?

Gray_Bodhisattva
10-16-2009, 08:49 AM
You need to be very carefull with this build. There is ways to make it work. I would suggest 12 cleric / 6barbarian / 2rogue.
Take rogue at first level for skill points then you can use UMD - best skill in game
And evaison - Rogue levels will help for intimidate and whatever else your looking to do.
Cleric levels for MAX/EMP/Quiken Blade Barriers and Divine Might
Barbarian for speed and rage.

Whichever way you go with this build I would suggest finding out how you want to build it and reroll.
Your only level 5, so rerolling isnt so bad now.

I can use UMD as a cleric...?

Thrudh
10-16-2009, 08:49 AM
You'd probably be better off as 11/9 cleric/barbarian... because at 11 clerics get the Heal spell, and Blade Barrier...

You could cast Extended Divine Power, Divine Favor, Recitation on yourself... That is good...

All the spells like lessor restoration, remove curse, etc. can be found in potions though...

The biggest problem with a barbarian/cleric is that you can't cast spells (i.e. heal yourself) when raging... but it's an interesting build.

I think it'll be very tough though in the middle levels... 11/9 sounds interesting at level 20, but at level 6,9,13,17, etc. what will the breakdown be?

1 level of cleric (or ranger) will get you access to cure wands... Or you could get two levels of rogue, max out UMD and get evasion...

Deep multi-classing (i.e. 11/9) is hard to do... Small splashes (like 18/2) are much easier.

Good luck to you! Play it for a while, and let us know how it does... If it doesn't work like you expected, you can always reroll and try again... God knows I've rerolled enough concept builds over the last 3 years... (but I also found a couple strange combos that really worked well too)

Rameses
10-16-2009, 08:50 AM
I can't see this build being excepted into many end game runs.
The high level content requires massive DPS and since you are a new player it's not probable that you will have high end loot.
I would honestly suggest pure barbarian.

I am, Rameses!

Original
10-16-2009, 08:52 AM
SO basically its not good at anything, however I have developed a technique in which I dismiss range, restore, run in circles while healing, then rage again. But with a barb/cleric build you see no feasible way to be anything decent in raid groups?

If you enjoy it... go with it.
I could see possible initimitank in raid - but your build will be very gear/tome heavy to shine. Since your free to play and have not seen raid content you may want to play something else first... but up to you :)

Gray_Bodhisattva
10-16-2009, 08:53 AM
I think it'll be very tough though in the middle levels... 11/9 sounds interesting at level 20, but at level 6,9,13,17, etc. what will the breakdown be?

lv 6 4cleric/2barb lv 9 7cleric/2barb lvl 13 (unknown) lvl 17 (unkown) don't know if I'm going to favor cleric or barb, but blade barrier sounds nice.

1 level of cleric (or ranger) will get you access to cure wands... Or you could get two levels of rogue, max out UMD and get evasion...

I really don't like light armor AC, I'll catch hell from the baby mobs.

What do you think?

tihocan
10-16-2009, 08:57 AM
SO basically its not good at anything, however I have developed a technique in which I dismiss range, restore, run in circles while healing, then rage again.
At higher levels you'll run out of rages pretty fast if you do so (because you'll be taking a lot more damage, requiring much more healing).

tihocan
10-16-2009, 08:58 AM
I really don't like light armor AC, I'll catch hell from the baby mobs.

What do you think?
You need to realize that past L12 or so, your AC will be as good as if it was -10 billion.

Gray_Bodhisattva
10-16-2009, 08:58 AM
At higher levels you'll run out of rages pretty fast if you do so (because you'll be taking a lot more damage, requiring much more healing).

I see your point, is there any way shave off damage nicely?

tihocan
10-16-2009, 09:00 AM
I see your point, is there any way shave off damage nicely?
On a barbarian, not really. I tried it, then gave up at L16 when I couldn't find a way to go beyond 57 AC or so (with raid loot, and carrying a shield, not raging, with crappy DPS).

Thrudh
10-16-2009, 09:01 AM
I can use UMD as a cleric...?

UMD is a rogue skill... he suggested a 12/6/2 cleric/barbarian/rogue build as a possible alternative... max out your UMD and you can use heal scrolls (or Greater Heroism scrolls or Teleport scrolls,etc. - UMD is a fun ability to have)

Thrudh
10-16-2009, 09:04 AM
Oh, and good name by the way.... Raging Doombringer... catchy! :)

Gray_Bodhisattva
10-16-2009, 09:05 AM
What would it take to make a cleric/barb a useful tank at end game, and allow it nice dps?

Gray_Bodhisattva
10-16-2009, 09:15 AM
I'll figure it out along the way.

tihocan
10-16-2009, 09:24 AM
What would it take to make a cleric/barb a useful tank at end game, and allow it nice dps?
With barbarian your only hope for being qualitified as "tank" is to go for high HP (since you can forget about AC), and easy to heal. So, basically, dwarf or human.
If you want really nice DPS, then I don't see how the cleric levels will help you.
If you *really* want Cleric, then you should accept your DPS to be lesser, and then probably go mostly cleric. Like Cleric 19/barbarian 1. And not really be raging. The problem if you take more barb levels is then you can't qualify as a cleric, so you'll be in a group mostly for your melee ability, but then you'll be raging, which means you won't be using at all your cleric spells, which means you could as well not have the cleric levels....

Original
10-16-2009, 09:24 AM
Sorry for format... still a noob.
Ive seen this stud in action... not sure where he's going to 20.
Character Plan by DDO Character Planner Version 2.96
DDO Character Planner Home Page

Inquisittor
Level 16 Neutral Good Dwarf Male
(2 Fighter \ 7 Barbarian \ 7 Cleric)
Hit Points: 343 Currently 481
Spell Points: 448 Currently 721
BAB: 14\14\19\24
Fortitude: 18 Currently: 27
Reflex: 5 Currently : 14
Will: 10 Currently: 19 (16 Jinxs Vexation)

Starting Feat/Enhancement
Abilities Base Stats Modified Stats
(32 Point) (Level 1) (Level 16)
Strength 16 22 Final: 28
Dexterity 12 13 Final: 18
Constitution 16 20 Final: 26
Intelligence 12 14 Final: 14 / 20 for Runes and WK solo runs.
Wisdom 13 16 Final: 22
Charisma 9 10 Final: 16

Tomes Used
+1 Tome of Strength used at level 1
+1 Tome of Dexterity used at level 1
+1 Tome of Constitution used at level 1
+2 Tome of Intelligence used at level 1
+1 Tome of Wisdom used at level 1
+1 Tome of Charisma used at level 1
+2 Tome of Wisdom used at level 16

Starting Feat/Enhancement
Base Skills Modified Skills
Skills (Level 1) (Level 16)
Balance 3 15 Final: 18
Bluff 0 0
Concentration 3 5
Diplomacy 0 0
Disable Device n/a n/a
Haggle 0 0
Heal 2 3
Hide 1 1
Intimidate 4 23 Final: 42
Jump 7 26 Final: 29
Listen 2 3
Move Silently 1 1
Open Lock n/a n/a
Perform n/a n/a
Repair 2 2
Search 2 4
Spot 4 6
Swim 3 8
Tumble 3 9
Use Magic Device n/a n/a

Level 1 (Barbarian)
Skill: Balance (+2)
Skill: Intimidate (+4)
Skill: Jump (+4)
Skill: Spot (+2)
Skill: Tumble (+2)
Feat: (Selected) Power Attack
Feat: (Automatic) Attack
Feat: (Automatic) Defensive Fighting
Feat: (Automatic) Dwarven Stability
Feat: (Automatic) Dwarven Stonecutting
Feat: (Automatic) Exotic Weapon Proficiency: Dwarven Waraxe
Feat: (Automatic) Fast Movement
Feat: (Automatic) Giant Evasion
Feat: (Automatic) Heroic Durability
Feat: (Automatic) Light Armor Proficiency
Feat: (Automatic) Martial Weapon Proficiency (ALL)
Feat: (Automatic) Medium Armor Proficiency
Feat: (Automatic) Orc and Goblin Bonus
Feat: (Automatic) Poison Save Bonus
Feat: (Automatic) Rage
Feat: (Automatic) Shield Proficiency (General)
Feat: (Automatic) Simple Weapon Proficiency (ALL)
Feat: (Automatic) Sneak
Feat: (Automatic) Spell Save Bonus
Feat: (Automatic) Sunder
Feat: (Automatic) Trip

Level 2 (Cleric)
Skill: Balance (+0.5)
Skill: Jump (+0.5)
Skill: Spot (+0.5)
Skill: Tumble (+0.5)
Feat: (Automatic) Heavy Armor Proficiency
Feat: (Automatic) Magical Training
Feat: (Automatic) Turn Undead

Level 3 (Cleric)
Skill: Spot (+0.5)
Feat: (Selected) Cleave

Level 4 (Cleric)
Ability Raise: STR
Skill: Intimidate (+0.5)

Level 5 (Cleric)

Level 6 (Cleric)
Feat: (Selected) Toughness

Level 7 (Cleric)

Level 8 (Cleric)
Skill: Intimidate (+1)
Skill: Jump (+1)

Level 9 (Barbarian)
Skill: Intimidate (+4)
Skill: Jump (+2)
Feat: (Selected) Mental Toughness
Feat: (Automatic) Damage Reduction
Feat: (Automatic) Uncanny Dodge

Level 10 (Fighter)
Skill: Intimidate (+2)
Feat: (Fighter Bonus) Improved Critical: Slashing Weapons
Feat: (Automatic) Tower Shield Proficiency

Level 11 (Fighter)
Skill: Intimidate (+3)
Feat: (Fighter Bonus) Great Cleave

Level 12 (Barbarian)
Skill: Balance (+1.5)
Feat: (Selected) Extend Spell
Feat: (Automatic) Trap Sense

Level 13 (Barbarian)

Level 14 (Barbarian)
Feat: (Automatic) Improved Uncanny Dodge

Level 15 (Barbarian)
Skill: Tumble (+1.5)
Feat: (Selected) Empower Healing Spell

Level 16 (Barbarian)
Skill: Swim (+2)
Enhancement: Fighter Haste Boost I
Enhancement: Barbarian Sprint Boost I
Enhancement: Barbarian Extend Rage I
Enhancement: Barbarian Extend Rage II
Enhancement: Barbarian Extra Rage I
Enhancement: Barbarian Extra Rage II
Enhancement: Barbarian Power Attack I
Enhancement: Dwarven Armor Mastery I
Enhancement: Dwarven Armored Agility I
Enhancement: Dwarven Axe Attack I
Enhancement: Dwarven Axe Attack II
Enhancement: Dwarven Axe Damage I
Enhancement: Dwarven Constitution I
Enhancement: Dwarven Spell Defense I
Enhancement: Dwarven Spell Defense II
Enhancement: Dwarven Tactics I
Enhancement: Dwarven Toughness I
Enhancement: Dwarven Toughness II
Enhancement: Dwarven Toughness III
Enhancement: Dwarven Toughness IV
Enhancement: Unyielding Sovereignty
Enhancement: Follower of the Sovereign Host
Enhancement: Barbarian Intimidate I
Enhancement: Barbarian Intimidate II
Enhancement: Cleric Energy of the Zealot I
Enhancement: Barbarian Constitution I
Enhancement: Barbarian Constitution II
Enhancement: Fighter Strength I
Enhancement: Cleric Wisdom I
Enhancement: Barbarian Toughness I
Enhancement: Barbarian Toughness II
Enhancement: Cleric Divine Vitality I
Enhancement: Cleric Divine Vitality II
Enhancement: Cleric Extra Turning I

Gear as of now:
Gear as of now:

Helm: Minos Llegens
Trinket: Bloodstone / Head of Good Fortune
Necklace: +6 Wisdom / (Lorriks would be nice)
Cloak: +5 Protection +1 CHA
Belt:
Ring 1: Disease Immunity of GFL
Ring 2: +4 Resistance / Feather Fall / Intimidate +13
Gloves: Spectral Gloves (+5 DEX +2 to hit and Ghost Touch)
Armor: Jinx´s Vexation (+5 MFP, Superior Devotion IV and -3 Will Save)
Bracers: Leviks (+6 STR, *20 Healing Amplification)
Goggles: Greensteel Air x 3
Boots: 30% Striders (Still can´t get Madstones )

Main-Weapon: GreenSteel DwarvenAxe Mineral II
Shield: Levik´s

AC 46 ETAC / 50 with Barkskin Pot & Haste

Level 20: Barbarian 11 Cleric 7 Fighter 2

Soloability of the build is solid, FOM, 20 pt resists, self healing, lots of DPS and saves. The only Healing-side issue I have with him is he only has a 65 or 70 % chance of using Heal scrolls...and that can be deadly sometimes.

My bio? "Intimi-Cleric - Don´t try this at home."

Gray_Bodhisattva
10-16-2009, 09:32 AM
Level 20: Barbarian 11 Cleric 7 Fighter 2

Soloability of the build is solid, FOM, 20 pt resists, self healing, lots of DPS and saves. The only Healing-side issue I have with him is he only has a 65 or 70 % chance of using Heal scrolls...and that can be deadly sometimes.

This is about what I was going for, except TWF and S&B switch hitter. I couldn't decide how much the fighter was worth it however, and whether or not I should take another level of barb for the enhancements, or 2 more levels of cleric for the spells. but If I wasn't oging an extra level of barb, I would rather trade off a few barb levels for cleric to get blade barrier and such.

Gray_Bodhisattva
10-16-2009, 09:56 AM
Thanks for all your help so far, I'll put it to good use, I'll be watching the forums for quite a while. Feel free to continue on the subject with anything you think may help.

William_the_Bat
10-16-2009, 10:13 AM
A couple things

Plan out your feats ahead of time so you know weather or not you need to take fighter or monk levels, and when you need to take them.

Barbarians have notoriously low AC, and notoriously high HP to make up for it. Yes, you can crank that up a bit with some crazy equipment, but your combat power comes from raging, otherwise you are just a fighter who spent all his feats on toughness instead of more damage.

The upshot of that is if you are a 30ish AC barb or barb hybrid running end game content, everything will hit you on a roll of 2 anyway, so you might as well have 10 AC. Such characters rely on their HP pool to get by. So if you were to splash rogue or monk for evasion, and wear light armor, the monsters would not notice. I know more than one barb who wears robes, because why bother?

Now don't project this advice to the early game. In the lower levels, some good armor and a shield will make you nigh-invulnerable, no matter what your class. The problem is your AC from armor and shields stop going up after level 8 when you can wear +5s, and monsters attack bonuses keep going up, and it takes a lot of really good equipment and class abilities to keep up.

DragonKiller
10-16-2009, 10:19 AM
Trust me I see where you are trying to get with this, as I have built a (or what will be at end game) Warforge 16/3/1 Barb/Rogue/Wiz. I took the level of Wiz for some self healing, using wands and such. Honestly Since I'm running around raged all the time, I end up either counting on a Heal/Reconstruct or chugging pots (with well over 600HP it takes a LOT of Pots). I also tried the dismissing rage and healing up, but it just got old, slow and unpractical at higher levels.

Right now the only reason he's not on the fast track to True Res when they release it is because he has Crit Rage, and he'll lose that when he respecs. However he is right now all but shelved until I figure out what to do with him.

Best "Self Healing" Barb I have ever seen is probably a guildies TWF halfling Dragon Marked Barb. But even he can't heal himself when raged.

Lastly, for AC unless you can run around with high 50s to low 60's at least it doesn't matter much at end game (trust me, my wife runs around on a healer a lot of times so I get to hear it when I'm on a lower AC character taking more damage). And when your a raging Barb those numbers are all but, if not, impossible.

I'm assuming your F2P, but if your willing to plunk down a few $$ to buy Warforge, something like a 18/2 Barb/Rogue will buy you a lot of what your looking for. Being able to invest in UMD, and Imitate so you can use just about any wand/scroll/weapon/item in the game, have a lot of immunities and completely not care about coming down of the rage high. You'll be able to do some decent self healing/buffing after/before fights, have evasion, be able to get traps/chests/locked doors and hit 600-700HP easily at end game, have high Str & very good DPS. You'll be a welcome member of almost any party.

It's not a bad solo build either as you'll be able to (through wands and scrolls) stoneskin, blur, shield, prot, resist and GH yourself. With those damage mitigating means, as well as some WF/Barb DR and high HP's you can survive for a while with out doing major healing on yourself. Then when you get low you are either coming out of your rage or you dismiss it and you can heal up. Also it allows you to hit a barb sprint boost when the fhit hits the san to get out of dodge allowing you to heal up and get back to the fight. The key to soloing with a build like this will be aggro management. One-on-One or so and you will smoke any mob you run into. The biggest drawback to this build is it's resource intensive (read you're gonna be buying lot's of stuff in the AH/Vendors/Store).

Gray_Bodhisattva
10-16-2009, 10:34 AM
THanks for your input, I'm starting to like the 11cleric/2fighter/7barb idea instead of the 12barb/7cleric/1fighter idea. Yeah I know about the AH >.<

Gray_Bodhisattva
10-16-2009, 12:11 PM
Are there any links to a 11clleric/9barb build or something similar?

Thanimal
10-16-2009, 03:40 PM

A change to the game rules?

Ok, sorry for the sarcasm -- feeling a bit silly late on Friday.

But in all seriousness there are really fundamental reasons that these classes are incompatible in most mixes. A Barbarian who is NOT raged is a gimp -- even my Battle Bard will out-DPS almost any Barbarian who doesn't have Rage on -- it's the fundamental tool of the class. But as several have pointed out, you can't cast while Raged.

This limits any sort of casting to between battles (at best), so you'd be better off to go Barbarian 18/Rogue 2, be a legit DPS, and max your UMD to be able to use scrolls and wands whenever you aren't Raged. (Just noticed DK suggested this and did a better job of explaining why. Read his post again!)

The closest to a non-gimpy Cleric/Barb I can think of is a Dwarf Cleric 19/Barb 1. This build would almost never rage, but gets some meleeing advantages of out having a fighter (lower case f) splash -- notably use of Dwarven Axe. The key reason to consider this over some other splashes is the extra -1/+1 Power Attack enhancement available at Barbarian 1. On balance, I think the Fighter or Paladin splash is overall better, but that PA enhancement is quite good if you use PA (a good idea for any battle cleric).