PDA

View Full Version : Intimitanking; Can I do it?

Seventh
10-16-2009, 04:15 AM
Are there any sort of general guidelines for how much punishment a fighter planning on intimitanking (one just doing it situationally, without it being's his/her build's focus) needs to be able to take by level? Like say, how much AC/Blocking DR/HP one needs to have? Like, say, at level 7.

I ask because I've noticed that groups I've run with have been requesting that I intimitank more frequently recently, and I wanted to see if I could intimitank usefully or if it would be a bad idea for my build, a two-handed fighter.

I have sub-par HP for my level since I haven't taken toughness and it's various enhancements yet (around 120 HP, I believe, and don't worry, I will be taking it) 26 AC with my two-hander, 32 with a tower shield I picked up (can't find one with a plus above 2) and 11 blocking DR (A sub-question about this. I can get an extra 3 DR by using a suit of adamantine plate I have, but the adamant is one plus lower than my regular armor. Worth it?).

This all seems far too low to even come close to mitigating the sort of punishment an elite redwillow or gwylan's run puts out. Should I bother Intimitanking or would that require retooling my build somewhat?

ReaperAlexEU
10-16-2009, 05:26 AM
first up, if you havent been pumping points into intimidate, don't start now.

even if you have no defences, in a party where everyone is squishy focusing all the damage on one party member makes the healing easier to manage. its also a good skill to have for saving squishies from unwanted aggro.

don't worry about being a tank, worry about that for a 32 point build, it takes a lot of grinding to get the gear. if you have intimidate then keep pumping it, as mentioned above there are still good uses for it. if the party is asking you to intimi then go for it. if the party has a better tank then only intimi to get aggro off squishies.

focus on getting more HP on your build. toughness and the enhancements are one large source. you can aim for a +6 CON item too. then there is a false life item (improved then greater as you level). also mino's helm from the orchard of the macarbe is a must have at lvl12, it comes with heavy fort and 20 HP. heavy fort makes u immune to crits, every front-liner needs that! finally later on in your career you can put some time into crafting a green steel item with hit points on it. by then however you may have enough HP, my 28 pointer 2 handed fighter could benefit from a hit point item, but a mineral II whomping stick is more important for him.

edit: my 28 pointer is one of my first chars and sitting at lvl19 now

SquelchHU
10-16-2009, 07:57 AM
If you're level 7 and having a hard time with level 11 mobs, that does not necessarily indicate a problem with your build.

tihocan
10-16-2009, 08:49 AM
Besides maxing out Intimidate, you want:
- High HP, so yes, toughness is a must. And probably at least 14 base Con.
- Preferably ability to reach high AC (it's ok, and actually best, if you have a "tank" mode with high AC and tower shield, and a "DPS" mode where you swing a two-hander and don't worry about AC). That probably means, on a fighter, going the Stalwart Defender route (check the prereqs for it), *and* being able to reach 13 Int (base + tomes) for Combat Expertise. If you're not able/willing to do so, I would advise against trying too hard to be an intimitank, because at high level it won't really work (still max out intimidate because it can be handy even without great AC).

cforce
10-16-2009, 08:55 AM
A good rule of thumb for "safely" hitting intimidate (ie, you're getting hit only on 20's) is: your AC should be around 16 + (level * 3). So, if you can find a way to get high-30's at level 7, you won't need to worry much about DR. The nice thing about being a fighter is that the wealth of feats mean you can be both a two-hander *and* an intimitank, in different situations.

The real kicker, though, is you'll need Combat Expertise later in life to continue on this path, which requires 13 INT. If you didn't plan for this, you'll eventually fall back out of the intimitank role. Intimitanking is tough to keep up -- you have to plan your build for it, *and* get lots of specialized loot to continue to be viable at high levels.

Thanimal
10-16-2009, 08:56 AM
A handy guideline to see if you are close on AC is that you should be able to self-buff to 16 + 3*level. It's approximate, but still helpful. For example, at level 7 you'd want to see 37 to feel fully tanky. This can include Barkskin potions and Shield clickies (if you have enough of them).

Falling a point or two short is probably fine. 5+ points short means your AC is not a major asset and you should only gather aggro for some of the strategic reasons mentioned above by others, not as a matter of course.

In general, a THF Fighter almost definitely cannot maintain tank AC into higher levels. But it may be possible with a Monk splash.

Thanimal
10-16-2009, 08:57 AM
A good rule of thumb for "safely" hitting intimidate (ie, you're getting hit only on 20's) is: your AC should be around 16 + (level * 3). So, if you can find a way to get high-30's at level 7, you won't need to worry much about DR. The nice thing about being a fighter is that the wealth of feats mean you can be both a two-hander *and* an intimitank, in different situations.

The real kicker, though, is you'll need Combat Expertise later in life to continue on this path, which requires 13 INT. If you didn't plan for this, you'll eventually fall back out of the intimitank role. Intimitanking is tough to keep up -- you have to plan your build for it, *and* get lots of specialized loot to continue to be viable at high levels.

Jinx.

Seventh
10-16-2009, 09:07 AM
I've got max ranks in Intimidate and the necessary CON, but I won't be able to grab Combat Expertise and I fall a good 5 points short of the needed AC, so I guess I shouldn't get my heart set on tanking. It's fine, it wasn't what I made the character for anyway, I was just hoping I could do it on the side/as needed. I'll bank the tanking gear I've found and save it for a later build, and I'll save intimidate for when the squishies are threatened. Thanks for the advice all, I'll keep it in mind in the future.