PDA

View Full Version : New to the test server

eddie_storm
10-15-2009, 06:17 PM
Ok some of this may seem pretty obvious but as the title suggests I am new. I just started playing DDO when unlimited began, figured I would give it another chance. I did play way back in the beta before DDO came out and didn't like it too much then but a lot of things have changed and it is quite enjoyable (so much so I am a vip user now ).

On most MMO's I have played I like to play on their test servers as well and each game studio has their own style of testing. First question, Is the test server persistant? As in are there character wipes on a normal basis. If there are wipes each patch or so is there any method of generating higher level characters to test endgame and midgame changes, again if that is not the case do they allow a method of transferred live characters to do this.

If it is a persistant world are there any features to promote socialization? I created a new character and the world so far has seemed very empty. For a few levels I can manage to solo but after that a barren world is going to present a real problem in a world designed around the group mechanic.

Memnir
10-15-2009, 06:30 PM
The majority of the new content on the Test server this go around is high level, so there are not a lot of folks playing the lower levels stuff beyond trying to find some new named loot. So, you may be in for a long, hard road trying to level up a new character on Llamania.

The server itself is persistent, but not regularly available. Meaning, they've not wiped characters for some time - but they will remove our ability to access it once the current test is done. It will go back up again close to the next Mod, but that could be months after it gets locked.

I'd suggest going over to one of the Live servers for a more fulfilling experience. If you want to start pretty fresh, the newly added Cannieth server is a good option for that since everyone started out new on that server and they're not allowing character transfers to that server from others.

Welcome back to the game.

eddie_storm
10-16-2009, 12:16 AM
I sure hope that turbine treats its high level testers well. If they ever lose that base replacing them doesn't seem probable. In other games grinding the levels while not necessarily enjoyable is still quite feasable but in a game such as DDO which is very group centric I can't see it occuring even assuming a long time comittment. Obviously with different testing cycles priorities change but I can't see enough development occuring at the lower levels to promote a lower level audience.

To be honest I am a bit disapointed as I have always preferred the community found in a testing environment.
Oh well I do wish you all the best of luck and appreciate the time and effort you all put in to make this the quality game it is.

ir0nw0lf
10-16-2009, 09:34 AM
I think they need to bump some players up quite a few levels or offer some 10-20x XP for say a weekend or two to allow more players to jump into the higher levels to test the new higher level content. Or let everyone have one level 18-20 char. :p

Zurisatro
10-16-2009, 03:01 PM
I think they need to bump some players up quite a few levels or offer some 10-20x XP for say a weekend or two to allow more players to jump into the higher levels to test the new higher level content. Or let everyone have one level 18-20 char. :p

I highly agree with this it would definitely allow them to get a wider test base that could catch bugs that could potentially be missed.

Lorien_the_First_One
10-18-2009, 02:56 PM
Mad mentioned in another thread that they had planned to put an autoleveling NPC in this release of Lama to help with testing... but apparently he broke and did very bad things to you so they disabled him.

I expect we will see him make an appearance in the future.

eddie_storm
10-23-2009, 07:20 AM
Mad mentioned in another thread that they had planned to put an autoleveling NPC in this release of Lama to help with testing... but apparently he broke and did very bad things to you so they disabled him.

I expect we will see him make an appearance in the future.

That is good to hear, at least they recognize it as a need. Definitly will keep an eye open.