PDA

View Full Version : Heal/Nannybot Cleric build

Surrealistik
10-15-2009, 12:54 AM
Noob looking for some constructive criticism regarding the following Healbot build:

Character Plan by DDO Character Planner Version 3.10
DDO Character Planner Home Page (http://www.rjcyberware.com/DDO)

Level 20 Lawful Good Human Male
(20 Cleric)
Hit Points: 262
Spell Points: 1757
BAB: 15\15\20\25\25
Fortitude: 14
Reflex: 5
Will: 20

Starting Feat/Enhancement
Base Stats Modified Stats
Abilities (Level 1) (Level 20)
Strength 9 9
Dexterity 8 8
Constitution 14 14
Intelligence 8 8
Wisdom 17 26
Charisma 15 16

Starting Feat/Enhancement
Base Skills Modified Skills
Skills (Level 1) (Level 20)
Balance 1 10
Bluff 2 3
Concentration 6 25
Diplomacy 2 3
Disable Device n/a n/a
Haggle 2 3
Heal 3 9
Hide -1 -1
Intimidate 2 3
Jump -1 -1
Listen 3 8
Move Silently -1 -1
Open Lock n/a n/a
Perform n/a n/a
Repair -1 -1
Search -1 -1
Spot 3 8
Swim -1 -1
Tumble n/a n/a
Use Magic Device n/a n/a

Level 1 (Cleric)
Feat: (Selected) Empower Healing Spell
Feat: (Human Bonus) Mental Toughness

Level 2 (Cleric)

Level 3 (Cleric)
Feat: (Selected) Extend Spell

Level 4 (Cleric)

Level 5 (Cleric)

Level 6 (Cleric)
Feat: (Selected) Improved Mental Toughness

Level 7 (Cleric)

Level 8 (Cleric)

Level 9 (Cleric)
Feat: (Selected) Extra Turning

Level 10 (Cleric)

Level 11 (Cleric)

Level 12 (Cleric)
Feat: (Selected) Toughness

Level 13 (Cleric)

Level 14 (Cleric)

Level 15 (Cleric)
Feat: (Selected) Quicken Spell

Level 16 (Cleric)

Level 17 (Cleric)

Level 18 (Cleric)
Feat: (Selected) Maximize Spell

Level 19 (Cleric)

Level 20 (Cleric)
Enhancement: Cleric Divine Intervention
Enhancement: Unyielding Sovereignty
Enhancement: Follower of the Sovereign Host
Enhancement: Human Adaptability Wisdom I
Enhancement: Human Improved Recovery I
Enhancement: Cleric Improved Empower Healing I
Enhancement: Cleric Improved Empower Healing II
Enhancement: Cleric Improved Empower Healing III
Enhancement: Racial Toughness I
Enhancement: Racial Toughness II
Enhancement: Cleric Life Magic I
Enhancement: Cleric Life Magic II
Enhancement: Cleric Life Magic III
Enhancement: Cleric Life Magic IV
Enhancement: Cleric Energy of the Zealot I
Enhancement: Cleric Energy of the Zealot II
Enhancement: Cleric Energy of the Zealot III
Enhancement: Cleric Energy of the Zealot IV
Enhancement: Cleric Charisma I
Enhancement: Cleric Wisdom I
Enhancement: Cleric Wisdom II
Enhancement: Cleric Wisdom III
Enhancement: Cleric Divine Vitality I
Enhancement: Cleric Divine Vitality II
Enhancement: Cleric Divine Vitality III
Enhancement: Cleric Extra Turning I
Enhancement: Cleric Extra Turning II
Enhancement: Cleric Extra Turning III
Enhancement: Cleric Extra Turning IV
Enhancement: Cleric Wand and Scroll Mastery I
Enhancement: Cleric Wand and Scroll Mastery II

DasLurch
10-15-2009, 01:06 AM
As you will eventually find out, playing nanny can be a challenge. As you stand, I'd say your build is going to handle the healing bit just fine. I'm guessing that you started with 15 Cha because you are planning on taking 3 points in enhancements to put you level at 18 (24 w/ a +6 item). As for the feats you didn't list, I'd reccomend the Maxamize and Hieghten metamagic feats. This will help you out with powering up your blade barriers and make your destructs even harder to resist. If you can find a way, I'd also take a spell penatration feat instead of one mental toughness. But that is really just a personal preference. And the only other thing I'd add is more of a playstyle thing. Make certain to find a way to boost your reflex save if you can. Be it a dex item or just trapblast goggles. That can really hurt a cleric when it comes to fireballs and such. I hope you like it.

Surrealistik
10-15-2009, 01:16 AM
I want to emphasize survivability and healing rather than offensive prowess. That said, how do you feel about Toughness in lieu of Heighten Spell? Further, can Maximize Spell apply to healing magic as well?

I put 15 into Charisma because I can cheaply raise it to 16 for an extra turning attempt. Unfortunately I don't seem to have the AP for 3 Charisma enhancement.

EDIT: I've just updated my character to the latest version, tell me what you think.

EDIT 2: Oops, copied the updated character from level 18, just updated to 20.

DasLurch
10-15-2009, 02:00 AM
If you are after turning ability, then you are in for a bit of a shock. The game doesn't like you as far as that is concerned. Turning is not something that will get a lot of use at the moment. Add to that the inflated DC, Hit Dice for mobs, and lack of easy/effective ways to counter the problems here turning is something that is rarely a point of emphasis for almost all clerics here. If you really want to though, I'd say it's almost more about the loot. Find a sacred item and wear it when trying to turn. Better yet, if you can find a sacred item AND a hallowed item even better. Turning is just really not too practicle in game on any setting other than normal.

As for taking Toughness instead of Hieghten? If you want some more HP by all means. Hieghten really boosts the clerics offensive casting ability is all. If that is something you are not really focused on, skip it :)

Brennie
10-15-2009, 02:29 AM
If you are after turning ability, then you are in for a bit of a shock. The game doesn't like you as far as that is concerned. Turning is not something that will get a lot of use at the moment. Add to that the inflated DC, Hit Dice for mobs, and lack of easy/effective ways to counter the problems here turning is something that is rarely a point of emphasis for almost all clerics here. If you really want to though, I'd say it's almost more about the loot. Find a sacred item and wear it when trying to turn. Better yet, if you can find a sacred item AND a hallowed item even better. Turning is just really not too practicle in game on any setting other than normal.

True, BUT he also has all level of Divine Vitality. I believe he may just want more turns to be able to siphon more Spellpoints into teammates.

Surrealistik
10-15-2009, 09:00 AM
Yes, as Brennie said, I'm more looking to act as a walking battery/shrine for friendly casters; I understand that Turning as is is far too situational.

So does Maximize spell work with healing, or does it apply to offensive spells only?

Lorien_the_First_One
10-15-2009, 09:04 AM
Yes, as Brennie said, I'm more looking to act as a walking battery/shrine for friendly casters; I understand that Turning as is is far too situational.

So does Maximize spell work with healing, or does it apply to offensive spells only?

Maximize and Empower spell work with cure spells (including cure mass) but not the heal or heal mass spell. Both curing and Healing spells are impacted by the empower healing feat.

Oh, and if you really want to be a healbot and are willing to give up the dv side of the shrine, consider FvS. A healbot focussed FvS should be able to outheal a heal focussed cleric based on the double SPs.

Surrealistik
10-15-2009, 09:06 AM
Ah, thanks.

Another ultranooby question; can you stack Metamagic, or can only one apply to a spell at any time?

EDIT: As for FvS yes, the thought had definitely occurred to me; I've even got a build ready. It's a shame I need to accumulate a mass of Favour to play one though.

Lorien_the_First_One
10-15-2009, 09:12 AM
Ah, thanks.

Another ultranooby question; can you stack Metamagic, or can only one apply to a spell at any time?

EDIT: As for FvS yes, the thought had definitely occurred to me; I've even got a build ready. It's a shame I need to accumulate a mass of Favour to play one though.

Ah yes, if you don't want to pay for FvS that one is a long way off :p

Yes, metamagics do stack. I know some offensive clerics that run around with both maximize and emplower running at all times...and their blade barriers really hurt :D

Metamagic also stacks with the healing enhancements and devotion or potency items (devotion and potency don't stack with each other though).

The one thing to watch out with metas is that they do burn through your SP quickly if you aren't careful. You need to watch that you don't overheal the group and thus waste SP. On my healing/casting cleric I generally leave empower healing on (with the items and enhancements I have it costs me only 1 or 2 extra SP per cast, that's pretty much free in my books), but I only turn on Maximize and/or Quicken if the situation requires it.

Rasczak
10-15-2009, 09:37 AM

If you hover your mouse over a spell it will tell you what metamagics effect it. And they all stack....nothing like a bit of maximised empowered bb's to clear a playing field.

Imp Mental Toughness is not really worth it. Go for empower instead maybe

Also I would suggest you max out your Cleric Wand and Scroll Mastery...drop Empower 3 enhancement as it's really not worth the ap's you spend on it and rather invest in the scroll mastery. The amount of healing you do off scrolls is going to be a lot so max it out. It'll save your sp and the need to drink pots.

I would also look at a different approach to the Sovereign line as a simple heal scroll does almost what it cost you 4 ap's to get. If you drop it you can use the human greater adaptability to get another cha point, drop 1 from strength and charisma to get a 10 int for an extra skill point. Then max out concentration and maybe split up heal and jump or even better go for max concentration and max diplomacy for those moments mobs think you easy pickings and attack you

tihocan
10-15-2009, 10:40 AM
I would get extend before empower healing.
And maximize earlier (probably instead of improved mental toughness or extra turns). You want it at L12 max to have fun with blade barriers :)

Surrealistik
10-15-2009, 11:47 AM
Not too particular about build order, it's the final result that matters.

Also, is tumble worth sinking a single point into?

tihocan
10-15-2009, 12:32 PM
Also, is tumble worth sinking a single point into?
In my opinion yes (2 skill points). You probably won't benefit from it early on (due to low dex and probably using a full plate), but at higher levels when your AC is totally meaningless you'll be able to use it while in robe. The concentration loss will be made up when you get a +2 Int tome.

Elsbet
10-15-2009, 12:42 PM
My healbot didn't take empower healing until level 17 (read: last month). At this level, the math works out to make it worthwhile. (I did have to be convinced of this and did eat crow when I had to say "you were right and I was wrong" to my friend.)

Even though my clerics are primarily healers, I avoid at all costs being a nanny. It discourages smart play and enables stupidity. At some point, you can't heal everyone and people need to be prepared for that.

Rasczak
10-16-2009, 01:17 AM
As a cleric, being able to toss out greater commands successfully or bb's and cometfalls you will make life easier for yourself in the long run. You would still be a healer character but the best defense is a good offence and sometimes those heightened sonic and maximised empowered bb's are all you need to keep your party healthy