PDA

View Full Version : It was fun, but...

Morndenkainen
10-14-2009, 08:34 PM
Well, I ended my account today after playing for a month. This game has some really good aspects, and some really bad ones...

Pro's
Good voice chat support.
Good grouping support.
Fairly faithful D&D Rules translation.
Excellent short-term entertainment.
Acceptable graphics, slightly dated, but overall, not bad.
Several fun low-level adventures and dungeons to figgure out.
Excellent outdoor maps.

Cons,
Once you run an adventure once or twice, the thrill of finding something new is gone. No randomization.
Very limited player content. I mean come on, ONE city?
Low replay value.
I understand that this IS an MMO, but with scaleable difficulty, a level 11 rogue, paladin, and cleric should be able to run dungeons two levels lower in normal mode with ease and kill the boss. Specifically thinking of "The church and the Cult" Level 9, Temple of Vol. Even with the pally burning his LoH's which damage the vampire, and the rogue dual weilding holy weaps of PG, the cleric dropping a blade barrier, and casting cure crit wounds to damage the vamp, the boss should not be near un-killable due to his high AC and regeneration.
Bugs - Not being able to hit monsters when theyre right next to you, the targeting system randomly targeting everything around you so your rarely killing one monster at a time and taking forever to kill the whole group at once. falling damage from walking off a ledge, while wearing feather falling boots, ect. There's more I could list, but im sure people are well aware of them.
Poor crafting system. By poor, I mean incredibly anemic. Its like "Hey, lets put a crafting system in the game, Uh what do we have it build? Um... I dunno, hot pockets?"
The collectibles, which there were far too many of, and far too little to do with.. You dont need 30 different collectibles for each zone.

DDo's been around how long now?

The F2P idea was great, and im sure it gave turbine a nice boost, but I really dont think this is gonna last.

Another thing that gets me is how badly they ***** the game out. I mean buying points so you can buy high end raid loot?

Ahh well, hopefully someone at turbine reads this and takes the time to correct the issues, If not, the game will slowly die out.. And the $15 they got from me for a month of VIP... Well, I guess I saved atleast that much in gas by staying in.

Fortano
10-14-2009, 08:39 PM
Hey, I like hot pockets!

BLAKROC
10-14-2009, 08:41 PM
too bad you not of which you speak if you coulnd't kill that vamp with that group it was hopeless for you.

an all of you cons are probably misdiagnosed all well.

if you only played till level 9 or 11 what would you know of high end raids?
NADA

Crafting :) is in the shroud and i doubt you were even there so how can you know??

I guess if you want to make wooden sticks and farm rutabegas or some such then wow or lotr is more for you.

Narmolanya
10-14-2009, 08:44 PM
The three of you could not Run that quest?

captain1z
10-14-2009, 08:48 PM
Well, I ended my account today after playing for a month. This game has some really good aspects, and some really bad ones...

Pro's
Good voice chat support.
Good grouping support.
Fairly faithful D&D Rules translation.
Excellent short-term entertainment.
Acceptable graphics, slightly dated, but overall, not bad.
Several fun low-level adventures and dungeons to figgure out.
Excellent outdoor maps.

Cons,
Once you run an adventure once or twice, the thrill of finding something new is gone. No randomization.
Low replay value.
the boss should not be near un-killable due to his high AC and regeneration.
Bugs - Not being able to hit monsters when theyre right next to you, the targeting system randomly targeting . falling damage from walking off a ledge, while wearing feather falling boots, ect.
Poor crafting system.
The collectibles, which there were far too many of, and far too little to do with.. You dont need 30 different collectibles for each zone.

DDo's been around how long now?

The F2P idea was great, and im sure it gave turbine a nice boost, but I really dont think this is gonna last.

I mean buying points so you can buy high end raid loot?

Ahh well, hopefully someone at turbine reads this and takes the time to correct the issues, If not, the game will slowly die out.. And the $15 they got from me for a month of VIP... Well, I guess I saved atleast that much in gas by staying in.

- you can always go f2p
- falling damage while wearing FF items I have never seen
- DDO has been around since feb 2006 officially almost 4 yrs now
- you cant buy high end gear in the store (+2 tomes were offered on a limited basis but will likely return)
- the game will indeed die out, it has been dying for 4yrs, but always seems to find a way to breathe new life again

stick around as F2P if you like and see what time brings.

Letrii
10-14-2009, 08:50 PM
What high end raid content in store?

Memnir
10-14-2009, 08:54 PM
Issac says:

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn12/EnPsyane/issac.jpg

Asketes
10-14-2009, 08:59 PM
. falling damage from walking off a ledge, while wearing feather falling boots, ect.

im sure he was probably wearing the clicky, not the passive item.

also, you can turn that auto-target junk off.. i sure as heck have.

too lazy to respond to your posts. you won't read this anyway. enjoy runescape

captain1z
10-14-2009, 09:04 PM

oh that makes sense....... good point.

Morndenkainen
10-14-2009, 09:05 PM
too bad you not of which you speak if you coulnd't kill that vamp with that group it was hopeless for you.

an all of you cons are probably misdiagnosed all well.

if you only played till level 9 or 11 what would you know of high end raids?
NADA

Crafting :) is in the shroud and i doubt you were even there so how can you know??

I guess if you want to make wooden sticks and farm rutabegas or some such then wow or lotr is more for you.

Lets see... Yup, vamp is still alive, group walked out cause everyone got bored of hitting something that wouldnt die, and this was just used as one example...

What do I know of high end raids? Eh, probably just as much as you. Just because Im running around on a level 11 char, doesnt mean I dont talk to people that are all level 11 or lower...

Yes, I know crafting is in the shroud, and from the recipe's i've seen, its really not all that impressive. but given the collectible system they have in place, it could easily be fleshed out quite a bit.

On top of that, I did have a couple more things to add to the OP that instead I'll leave here...

According to D&D rules, if something your fighting moves away, you get a free attack... Its called an attack of opportunity.. If something runs up RIGHT next to you, then runs past you, on its way to another character, Attack of opportunity... This game seems to have forgotten about that completely, I cant count the number of times i've whiffed on account of things running right passed me, no miss message or anything. I cant count the number of trips/sunders that have missed because a mob has backed off mid attack.

Oh, im sure i'll continue to stick around on F2P for a while, but I definatley wont be paying again until the game provides me with actual entertainment again...

Morndenkainen
10-14-2009, 09:07 PM

also, you can turn that auto-target junk off.. i sure as heck have.

too lazy to respond to your posts. you won't read this anyway. enjoy runescape

Nope...

1. It WAS the passive item.
2. The ledge was rather short and shouldnt have incurred falling damage to begin with.
3. Auto targeting doesnt seem to make much of a difference, when your dual weiling, and fighting more than 1 mob, it seems to hit them at random, even when the targeting eye is squarely on one of them the entire fight.

Asketes
10-14-2009, 09:12 PM
Nope...

1. It WAS the passive item. then you probably took damage from arrows or a spell.
2. The ledge was rather short and shouldnt have incurred falling damage to begin with.understood
3. Auto targetingturn it completely off. it makes a WORLD of a difference. doesnt seem to make much of a difference, when your dual weiling, and fighting more than 1 mob, it seems to hit them at random, even when the targeting eye is squarely on one of them the entire fight.

i'm not yelling at ya OP.. i was being sarcastic. didn't expect you to respond. sry

rogue are notoriously bad at dealing decent dps to undead (no sneak attack)

depending on the pally build, it may not be any good at dps. maybe it was designed more as an AC tank? not sure, just mentioning.

sorry you're having such problems.

anything i can help out with; ask away

Letrii
10-14-2009, 09:29 PM
Again I ask, what high end raid loot in store?

Asketes
10-14-2009, 09:36 PM

haha did that come up?

didn't notice that..

that is false, nothing is available as such in the DDO store

Hafeal
10-14-2009, 09:43 PM
Well, have a good time wherever you land.

I would ask others to take your comments with a healthy dose of salt as you didn't take the time to experience quite a bit of the game other than through hearsay. And to complain about 1 quest? That vampire is tougher than ones in higher level content and known to be so. I have seen full party wipes on that vamp when people weren't prepared. Might I suggest something silver next time ...

I have never seen or heard of anyone taking falling damage while wearing a featherfall item other than in Reaver or falling from the sky after battling a certain red dragon (and that's because normal rules do not apply in those cases). I would say check your combat log again.

Lastly, while your complaints about the combat system seem to have some merit, I would note one of the features about DDO pretty much acknowledged by almost every 3rd party review I have seen have stated that DDO combat is the best out there and "The" feature that makes DDO stand out. Thus, I would take your comment to mean there is room for improvement. I would like to know what combat system you feel works in real time as this and functions as well or better.

Letrii
10-14-2009, 09:43 PM
haha did that come up?

didn't notice that..

that is false, nothing is available as such in the DDO store

Closest I can think are +1 tomes and +2 tomes for the holiday weekend.

SteeleTrueheart
10-14-2009, 09:54 PM

Small ingredients are available.. I am not sure if you can consider them 'high end' but they are definitely raid loot.

Gratch
10-14-2009, 09:58 PM
Answers in Red.

Cons,

Traps are randomized as to which ones you hit in more recently designed dungeons. The set of monsters in an encounter can change based on difficulty level. Though yes - we all would like slightly more random dungeons... though then it would be tougher for them to design specific quests and their dungeon geometry creation tech isn't really suited for random layout.

If you use and Eberron source book and play all the different areas, you'll find that quite a bit of area is covered geographically... especially given the latest content is on the plane of Shavarath. Just unlike other MMO's you don't spend a large time going between locations.

Low replay value.

Yes, the content delivery is slow, but I find the largest replay value is in the different build types you take to the content - especially given this is one of the only premium MMO's that lets you take a different class each level.

I understand that this IS an MMO, but with scaleable difficulty, a level 11 rogue, paladin, and cleric should be able to run dungeons two levels lower in normal mode with ease and kill the boss. Specifically thinking of "The church and the Cult" Level 9, Temple of Vol. Even with the pally burning his LoH's which damage the vampire, and the rogue dual weilding holy weaps of PG, the cleric dropping a blade barrier, and casting cure crit wounds to damage the vamp, the boss should not be near un-killable due to his high AC and regeneration.

Sounds like the rogue should have had silver or xmuting weapons as those penetrate the vampire's DR.... and possibly a higher + value on them. Bringing a bard to help you hit or obviously a caster to obliterate the vampire would help... but he is one of the first very fast regenerating mobs you hit. Challenging content is good.... though some might say an arcane is required for this quest.... though I've seen a good fighter/barb/ranger with the right weapons take him down.

Bugs - Not being able to hit monsters when theyre right next to you, the targeting system randomly targeting everything around you so your rarely killing one monster at a time and taking forever to kill the whole group at once.

Hitting tab locks the monster you're targetting. There are other targetting options you can setup in the UI. Hitting "g" disables soft targetting that you are describing.

falling damage from walking off a ledge, while wearing feather falling boots, ect.

Haven't seen this for 2 years. Sounds like a new bug or a someone who thought they had on boots but didn't.

There's more I could list, but im sure people are well aware of them.
Poor crafting system. By poor, I mean incredibly anemic. Its like "Hey, lets put a crafting system in the game, Uh what do we have it build? Um... I dunno, hot pockets?"

At one point they were supposed to release a SUPER CRAZY crafting everything system that would use all the collectibles, gems and other items you pickup. But it's been delayed over and over and over. I think a lot of what you would have crafted has instead been shoved into the store. There is raid crafting in the shroud/tower of despair and lotto crafting in the reaver's refuge for useful items. But a valid point they don't have an all encompassing crafting system. Though those bored me a quite a bit in Warhammer/WoW/etc.

Another thing that gets me is how badly they ***** the game out. I mean buying points so you can buy high end raid loot?

There is no bound raid loot from the store (yet).

Regarding your comment on Attacks of Opportunity - that sort of goes contrary to their "player controlled" combat. The game doesn't automatically make you swing when a mob moves away - what if you wanted to cast or move instead. It's also why cleave is implemented as a wide swing instead of an AoE after killing a mob.

Uska
10-14-2009, 10:47 PM
You have no idea, and ONE point you cant buy end game loot with points only way to get it is to do the quests and then to get lucky.

AS to falling damage while wearing feather falling boots hmmm let me guess you were wearing boots of feather falling and didnt bother to read the description those are a clickie with a very limited duration and charges you just saw their named and assumed I bet.

BLAKROC
10-14-2009, 10:48 PM
Lets see... Yup, vamp is still alive, group walked out cause everyone got bored of hitting something that wouldnt die, and this was just used as one example...

What do I know of high end raids? Eh, probably just as much as you. Just because Im running around on a level 11 char, doesnt mean I dont talk to people that are all level 11 or lower...

Yes, I know crafting is in the shroud, and from the recipe's i've seen, its really not all that impressive. but given the collectible system they have in place, it could easily be fleshed out quite a bit.

On top of that, I did have a couple more things to add to the OP that instead I'll leave here...

According to D&D rules, if something your fighting moves away, you get a free attack... Its called an attack of opportunity.. If something runs up RIGHT next to you, then runs past you, on its way to another character, Attack of opportunity... This game seems to have forgotten about that completely, I cant count the number of times i've whiffed on account of things running right passed me, no miss message or anything. I cant count the number of trips/sunders that have missed because a mob has backed off mid attack.

Oh, im sure i'll continue to stick around on F2P for a while, but I definatley wont be paying again until the game provides me with actual entertainment again...

yes level 11 and lower are such fountains of knowlede about high end quest :eek:

go to the shroud loot planner and see all the recipes then you will learn of what you speak.

uhgungawa
10-14-2009, 11:09 PM

Yup, they better read a statement by someone who only played a month and didn't play the high end content. Or else the game is DOOOOOOMMMMMED. Sorry dude, the game has been around for over three years and is just getting bigger now.

Can you hear that? It's WoW calling yo candy a$$ back. :rolleyes:

Uska
10-14-2009, 11:27 PM
Yup, they better read a statement by someone who only played a month and didn't play the high end content. Or else the game is DOOOOOOMMMMMED. Sorry dude, the game has been around for over three years and is just getting bigger now.

Can you hear that? It's WoW calling yo candy a$$ back. :rolleyes:

LOL I knew I took you off ignore for a reason:)

uhgungawa
10-14-2009, 11:30 PM
LOL I knew I took you off ignore for a reason:)

Oops, sorry dude, I'l go back to being an a$$hat now :D

Noxat1
10-15-2009, 02:22 AM
I have to agree with the OP on this one. I've played for about a month now but after that, well, this game just becomes a hassle. You can complain all you want about how I didn't experience the high-end game content, well shouldn't I be infatuated with the game long before then?

I have a couple of close friends that I enjoyed playing this game with. just 3 of us really. I don't really like having to group with strangers. I just want a game I can play online with some close friends and early on, I am lead to believe this is the game for us! But later, things are not so great. I love a challenge but many adventures in this game are a waste of time without a big group that is just right. It becomes a hassle.

You try to compare this game to WoW but honestly, WoW requires much more discipline between the classes than this game does. My candy a$$ did better in DDO than WoW. Which is why I left that game in the first place; I want to play in small close knit groups rather than guilds and POG.

In light of all the bugs, limited content and questionable difficulty levels, I can't say this is a game I would play long-term, which is an enduring feature of any quality MMO. The F2P seems to promise a lot and deliver on little, which I guess is exactly what it's supposed to.

So, I will be cancelling my VIP. As a nearly-two-decade-long fan of D&D I really tried to love this game, but it did not match my expectations, and so I have to let it go. I wish Turbine and all fans the best, and may your +3 Thunderous Khopesh of Maiming always strike true...

uhgungawa
10-15-2009, 02:33 AM
and may your +3 Thunderous Khopesh of Maiming always strike true...

Bah, Vender trash :)

Uska
10-15-2009, 02:37 AM
I have to agree with the OP on this one. I've played for about a month now but after that, well, this game just becomes a hassle. You can complain all you want about how I didn't experience the high-end game content, well shouldn't I be infatuated with the game long before then?

I have a couple of close friends that I enjoyed playing this game with. just 3 of us really. I don't really like having to group with strangers. I just want a game I can play online with some close friends and early on, I am lead to believe this is the game for us! But later, things are not so great. I love a challenge but many adventures in this game are a waste of time without a big group that is just right. It becomes a hassle.

You try to compare this game to WoW but honestly, WoW requires much more discipline between the classes than this game does. My candy a$$ did better in DDO than WoW. Which is why I left that game in the first place; I want to play in small close knit groups rather than guilds and POG.

In light of all the bugs, limited content and questionable difficulty levels, I can't say this is a game I would play long-term, which is an enduring feature of any quality MMO. The F2P seems to promise a lot and deliver on little, which I guess is exactly what it's supposed to.

So, I will be cancelling my VIP. As a nearly-two-decade-long fan of D&D I really tried to love this game, but it did not match my expectations, and so I have to let it go. I wish Turbine and all fans the best, and may your +3 Thunderous Khopesh of Maiming always strike true...

Yeah wow has a lot of content kill this many of this and that:rolleyes: WoW requires ZERO disipline all characters of a class are pretty much alike right down to gear its a recipe game follow this receipe and your done, the only thing it takes to succed in wow is time to dedicate to it. DDO you can do many different things with many differnt classes DDO had more content on release day then wow really has today if you take out all the delvery and kill 10 rat type of quests. sorry you didnt like VIP and hope you like f2p but I dotn think you really gave it much of a try.

Graypaws
10-15-2009, 03:33 AM
Yeah wow has a lot of content kill this many of this and that:rolleyes: WoW requires ZERO disipline all characters of a class are pretty much alike right down to gear its a recipe game follow this receipe and your done, the only thing it takes to succed in wow is time to dedicate to it. DDO you can do many different things with many differnt classes DDO had more content on release day then wow really has today if you take out all the delvery and kill 10 rat type of quests. sorry you didnt like VIP and hope you like f2p but I dotn think you really gave it much of a try.

Have to disagree with what everything you said about WoW. About the biggest difference between WoW and DDO, solo friendliness. DDO is more in depth as far as general questing goes, but is very limited in choice, even after close to 4 yrs of development. Wow is leaps and bounds more solo friendly, has more material/content (sorta to be expected, you have 80 freaking levels), and 3 different specs per class, for a total of 30 specs (each one playing differently). That being said, I do like the difficulty of DDO, but it is made for alt-*****s. If you dont fall into that category, your time here will be limited. One thing I would like, at least for lower levels, is some sorta passive mana regeneration for caster types. Even it if were a feat.

SquelchHU
10-15-2009, 06:28 AM
You actually can take falling damage while under the effect of a continuous Feather Fall from items. It's very rare and only ends up being something like 2 damage because it only happens when the fall is very short but it does happen.

Hafeal
10-15-2009, 06:52 AM
You actually can take falling damage while under the effect of a continuous Feather Fall from items. It's very rare and only ends up being something like 2 damage because it only happens when the fall is very short but it does happen.

I have not experienced this. Do you have a location where this has happened?

Yes and no - it depends on how you derive enjoyment from playing. What kind of player are you?

This was your criticism but I cannot really tell what you are getting at, what exactly do you feel is the hassle? You can complete most quests in this game on solo. With Mod 9 they made it easier with scaling so people could 2 and 3 man anything except raids. And good players can solo or duo several of those.

And, if you want to reduce hassle or make the game even easier, do a little digging here on the forums, not only can you find guides and tips for every quest in the game, you can find video walk-throughs for almost every quest as well.

As with the OP, it does not seem like you have given the game much of chance, to be honest or you aren't sharing other relevant matters to the discussion in your post.

Elsbet
10-15-2009, 07:23 AM
Can I have your stuff? :p

No, nevermind. You wouldn't have anything I need.

Mav145
10-15-2009, 07:38 AM
Why anyone would want to solo a game like this is beyond me. I like this game BECAUSE you can group, meet people, do guild runs and help friends get their gear.

SquelchHU
10-15-2009, 10:17 AM
I have not experienced this. Do you have a location where this has happened?

I don't remember exactly. It happens perhaps one time in several hundred, if that. I suspect it is caused by the threshhold for a FF item kicking in is very slightly higher than the threshhold for taking falling damage creating a narrow window in which one can take falling damage, or that it is caused by lag. It's really not a big deal at all to randomly take 2 damage, just that he may have a point about that part at least.

Andora
10-15-2009, 03:54 PM

I am not sure if you are saying that the game is to easy or to hard your post goes both ways. I hate going into large groups also, in fact I made 1750 favor and cap twice with just a three member static group. This was before scaling dungeons. So I know that it can be done and has been done.

Keep in mind not every game is for everyone. This game caught me fast with my first run in STK and I am still paying and playing after years not months. One the other hand I was unable to make it even one month in WOW it left me numb. That does not mean that WOW sucks, it just sucked for me.

SouCarioca
10-15-2009, 04:08 PM
I guess everyone has an opinion. This is my 3rd MMORPG, and my favorite so far by far. My second one was LOTRO, hardly a lightweight, and full of qualities: beautiful graphics, huge gameworld, very deep storyline. But it wasn't all roses, which is why, when it came down to choosing one to subscribe to, I opted for DDO.

My complaints about LOTRO? Ill share them, because they really help illustrate what I love in DDO.

The actual quests and fighting really, which in the end end up being the core of it. Ex: After a long and moving story, I can resolve Derek FootInMouth's dilemma by killing 12 wargs, and 15 spiders. This is the epitomy of the single-player mission. Some missions only ask for 6 pieces of bamboo. Others ask me to get 24 of only one creature. Single-player friendly? Meh..... Maybe so, but it isn't exactly a ball of fun.

How do these kill missions go? Simple: you go out, around you every 50 meters you see a wolf or bat just waiting around doing nothing. You get within range of 3 creatures, attack one and just stand there blasting it until it dies. The others, unless one was right next to that first, will just ignore you. You pick them out one by one, and the fights are all the same: I had a lvl 40 RuneKeeper, a mage of sorts if you prefer: fire zap (the names aren't very important) 30 meters away, cold zap to slow its approach, lightning, lightning, lightning, dead. Repeat this 20 times, for one mission. Repeat this type of mission 60 times per level, and repeat that times 40 for each level, and you being to get brain numb. You try to desperately get higher levels hoping the next level will be the magic different one. The one with the ultra fun cool fights. At level 40, one is forced to start coming to terms with reality. Area of effect spells like the super neat cloud spells in DDO are non-existent.

Rogues are quintessentially useless at best. You might say they are apt archers, but traps, disarms and what not? Fuggedaboutit. As you go up you will need to team up to accomplish some of the storylines. Mostly because that creature you will still be casting lightning-lightning-lightning or fire-fire-fire on, now has so many hit points that you lose the race. The idea that a creature is immune to any of my attacks is absurd.

Water? Yes, there are beautiful water effects. The only problem is that water is actually just land with a different look. You don't dive under ever. You move at the same speed as on land, except that you move your arms around instead of your feet. Any difference is purely cosmetic.

That brings up the running and swimming. Even hiring a horse to take you from one place to another can mean taking 10 MINUTES of just watching the galloping. Sure, the place is lovely. Gorgeous at times, but still. And that is on horse. Some missions are: go to the other side of the world to speak with Molly Stuffedface. She in turn says this was great, now go back (20 mins) and say thanks. Where you are told to go on another 20 minute run to speak with Derek, who thanks you and says that this will all end after you have killed 10 wolves. OH PULEEZE! The complaint that DDO's quests present little novelty once done, makes me ask what novelty you are speaking about in others.

Things that really caught me in DDO, are:

- The incredibly visceral combat. Moving around, trying to flank your opponent, the sheer variety of methods and intelligent planning at times, the variety of spells and need for them.

- The spells, the charms, nukes, utility spells, and the amazing area of effect spells. Wow. The first time I got hit by a cloud, saw my visibility go to hell, until I learned to move away from them.... That was something else. Then I went blind. I was shocked. My group was laughing and helped me out. I couldn't really complain about the black screen since I could hardly imagine anything else if I was blind.

- The traps and rogues. Rogues aren't an option, they are a necessity. And frankly I wouldn't have it any other way.

- Groups vs Single Play. Regarding the OP. Look, the complaint that he either wants to only play alone or with 2 buddies says a lot about the OP frankly. The complaint that one might meet others and play with them is... revealing. I'm sorry if this will probably be taken wrongly, as it isn't meant to be, but that it is anti-social behavior is undeniable. If you want a long, engrossing single-player game, get Fallout 3 or Oblivion. DDO was never ever meant to be a single-player game frankly. It is crystal clear. You might as well go see a drama in the movies and complain how unfunny it was compared to a comedy.

As to the vampire, yes, it is tough. Very tough. My first run with a group failed to kill it. That is fine. If it were all a cakewalk, and no challenges, the game would be a lot less fun to me. But then again, I am a chess-player too, so it is the sort of thing that appeals to me. Some people much prefer playing endless quiet rounds of Solitaire, which is fine, but not I.

Do I have any complaints, and think the game could be improved? Absolutely. But that is for another thread.

One thing for the OP and any who agree with him more than they disagree: it doesn't mean you are right or wrong, it is mostly a matter of taste. A bug is a bug and I won't ever say otherwise, but group over single-player, or ease over challenge, is purely a matter of preference. If you just got back from a long day at work, and look forward to something a bit less involving, to just sit back and enjoy the scenery, then that is absolutely fine, and just means this game is not best suited to you. Check out LOTRO, it might be just the thing for you. Breeland, The Shire, or even Rivendell, at day or night are breathtaking.

ispeedonthe405
10-16-2009, 01:46 PM
My complaints about LOTRO? Ill share them, because they really help illustrate what I love in DDO.

The actual quests and fighting really, which in the end end up being the core of it. Ex: After a long and moving story, I can resolve Derek FootInMouth's dilemma by killing 12 wargs, and 15 spiders. This is the epitomy of the single-player mission. Some missions only ask for 6 pieces of bamboo. Others ask me to get 24 of only one creature. Single-player friendly? Meh..... Maybe so, but it isn't exactly a ball of fun.

Couldn't agree more, although to be fair to Turbine, your experience with LOTRO is not unique to that game. I've played SWG, COH, EQ2, WOW, COV, GW, MO, LOTRO, AoC, WAR, CO, and probably something else I've forgotten and/or suppressed in the interests of self preservation. All of those games are guilty of the same crime: epic story text is a thin wrapper for the actual task, which amounts to "Go kill 20 of <critter>". Really? I walked/rode/flew/warp-drove for 10 minutes, for this?

That's what passes for content in most MMOs. And so the OP will have to excuse me if I stare blankly at his post and wonder what the heck he's talking about. Lack of content? Here? In reality, the DDO tutorial dungeon has more going for it than 90% of the content in 90% of the other games I've played.

I also find myself staring blankly at the part of his post which describes thin character design options, especially in comparison to a game like WOW. Having played both, the comparison makes so little sense to me that I must conclude the OP has not been playing DDO at all, but rather some other game, and mistakenly posted here in the DDO forum. Surely anyone can see that this game has the best character building system, with the most options, since SWG 1.0 (its character creation was a shining gem in an otherwise dented, rusty crown)

I don't know. There's no such thing as a game for everyone, so if you're not having fun here then by all means, move on. But it's the specific points of his post that bug me, and it leads me to wonder what game he's been playing, because it just doesn't sound like this one at all.

I have my complaints about DDO as well. As a subscriber, and now also a guild leader, I find myself wishing they had left a few more dungeons open to the free players. Guilt over having talked up an area like Delera's Graveyard has led to me buying more than a few guest passes, after realizing that my guildies couldn't come in with me. So Turbine 1, Scott 0 on that one. I also wish the game had some of the guild management features that are considered standard in 2009. But on the whole, I just can't imagine anyone complaining about content and character design.

KoboldKiller
10-16-2009, 02:01 PM
I'm a bit confused as to why someone would play an MMO based on a game that is all about GROUPING and then complain it's not solo friendly. For that matter any MMO and complain it's not solo friendly. If you want solo friendly go get a game that is not an MMO and play to your hearts content. I seriously don't get this at all. One of the reasons I wasn't sure about an MMO was due to HAVING to be with other people and potential griefing. Not once did I say "I really want to play a game that has people from all over the place online so I can play be MYSELF".

As for not being able to kill a vampire, well that just sounds like a bad group. I assume we are Talking about (The Church and the Cult, I think) where the Silver Bow drops? If this is the case then yes it was for sure a bad group as I have done this with 2 melees and a cleric spamming searing light.

cardmj1
10-16-2009, 02:21 PM
For those who do not know about the place where we play, here is a map straight from the books.

http://i407.photobucket.com/albums/pp154/Mystincloud/MapofXendrik.jpg

Braegan
10-16-2009, 02:36 PM

Your cleric is doing it wrong. Nimbus and Searing light do Vulnerable Damage and will rip that vamp to shreds. Even though BB seems to give bigger numbers you have to kite him through it and there you deal with his regen problem. Nimbus/Searing/Cure Light Mass, rinse and repeat.

wamjratl1
10-16-2009, 02:45 PM
I am always amazed at how some new folks complain about failing quests, dying, etc. Didn't we all fail quests when we were starting out? Isn't that how we learned to try them differently? I mean, are we supposed to know how to do every quest the first time we've ever seen it? Just because we have dungeon scaling doesn't mean you're going to succeed...

dopey69
10-16-2009, 02:46 PM
*shrugs* buh bye

RavenStormclaw
10-16-2009, 02:47 PM
Well sorry to see you go but you got a few things wrong:

First and foremost if you had a cleric the vampire should be dead now. Everyone knows vampires hate light (sheesh its been in the vampire myths since creation) and so it would be no surprise that light spells do double damage to a vampire. I have been in Cult twice on elite with a level 10 Favored soul. Both times that party simply kept the vamp in place and I took him down with empowerd searing lights. Don't blame DDO game deisgn for a bad decision on your part.

As to lack of content...please. There is plenty of content. Could there be more? Sure! Is there a lot? Yes. I played WoW and hated it. Same repetititve stuff over and over and over. Hell my son recently quit WoW for DDO because it is so much better.

Anyway do what you want but becarefull about pointing out flaws and using an exampel of a fail when you had the easy button and failed to use it.

dopey69
10-16-2009, 02:49 PM
For those who do not know about the place where we play, here is a map straight from the books.

http://i407.photobucket.com/albums/pp154/Mystincloud/MapofXendrik.jpg

I have never looked at a dnd book lol I thought 3 barrel cove was on the other side
pluss rep to u

Anarkius
10-16-2009, 03:04 PM
I just gotta say I lol-ed more the once at the 'critiques' of DDO in comparison to the other MMO's out there. I wish ya luck, don't forget to donate your lowbie gear to someone that might actually use it (and no, I don't want it). :eek:

dpeters911
10-17-2009, 06:02 AM
The quests aren't randomized but the loot is. The thrill is working as a team for a common goal. Make no mistake - this game focuses on a party and cooperation like no other.

This is a drawback at first but makes sense in the long run. The game focuses on quests (not wandering mobs).

There are plenty of towns and locations to see though: outer planes, levels of hell, desert outposts, etc. It's just not presented in that seamless fashion favored by other MMOs.

Low replay value.
Not sure what you mean - there's always a chance to see what a new role takes. No, it's not WoW in terms of time but there isn't that grind of get quests/mob/turn in, repeat. Instead, there's a party focus, with instanced dungeons that rely on good tactics (and quest-specific balances).

I understand that this IS an MMO, but with scaleable difficulty, a level 11 rogue, paladin, and cleric should be able to run dungeons two levels lower in normal mode with ease and kill the boss. Specifically thinking of "The church and the Cult" Level 9, Temple of Vol. Even with the pally burning his LoH's which damage the vampire, and the rogue dual weilding holy weaps of PG, the cleric dropping a blade barrier, and casting cure crit wounds to damage the vamp, the boss should not be near un-killable due to his high AC and regeneration.Even two levels lower than your average party, that dungeons is not designed for three. You need the minimum recommended (4 level 9 will always average more damage than 3 level 11). Add in the fact you need Prot. from Fire, Prot. from Evil, etc. Not every dungeon is tailored to a Tank/Healer/Utility/Nuker. Some dungeons prefer rogues where others are useless. Holy weapons are nowhere near as good as ones that break his resistance in DPS.

If you've played the PnP version, you'd realize that a difference in a level isn't nearly as dramatic toward DPS/survival (unless taking the right feats). The quest is also extremely challenging for its level. I've done with a party of 5 (Ranger/Rogue - Cleric - Fighter - Bard - Favored Soul) and we were all the appropriate level. You need to prepare better. LoH is not nearly as good as a Cure Mod or Serious Wounds wand. Try that. Lasts longer too.

Bugs - Not being able to hit monsters when theyre right next to you, the targeting system randomly targeting everything around you so your rarely killing one monster at a time and taking forever to kill the whole group at once. falling damage from walking off a ledge, while wearing feather falling boots, ect. There's more I could list, but im sure people are well aware of them.There are control scheme options - like double click to auto attack a given monster, etc.

I will concede there are major bugs hampering some quests. Others are imbalanced (i.e. Proof is in the Poison).

Poor crafting system. By poor, I mean incredibly anemic. Its like "Hey, lets put a crafting system in the game, Uh what do we have it build? Um... I dunno, hot pockets?"Agreed. Crafting was literally an afterthought - it wasn't added until much later.

Agreed. They're a nuisance for the 5 to the mid teens.

This business model is gaining traction in the states and is a perennial favorite in Asian/Europe. This allows them to break into new markets while keeping a larger fan base. This, in turn, allows more funds for development.

You can't buy end game raid loot. +2 was the cap last I checked (with other statuses on it).

It's a shame you're leaving. There's a solid game when thinking about the quest is more than role balancing - you have to prepare the right mix of spells/potions/wands/gear for the more challenging ones. The reward? Massive experience, a greater sense of accomplishment, and better gear/favor.

It's a solid game in my opinion - and one that beats the grind I experienced in WoW. The PnP translation leaves the strategy intact (even adding more to it then the standard 3.0/3.5 d20 rules do).