PDA

View Full Version : Classes most in need of new/fixed capstones

Angelus_dead
10-14-2009, 10:39 AM
Now that I have more characters pinned at the XP cap looking at taking their 20th level, this is bothering me more. Some capstones just don't serve the function they should, which is to give players a motivation to train 20 levels in one class, especially if the class features themselves weren't attractive.

Classes with decent features at level 20
Barbarian- more strength and constitution
Favored Soul- DR
Monk- DR
Ranger- new favorite enemy
Bard- +1 song damage

Classes with good capstones
Fighter- attack speed
Paladin- attack damage
Barbarian- attack damage (doesn't work quite fully)
Sorcerer- spell damage (if it actually worked)
Wizard- spell saves and spellpoint reduction
Bard- spell saves and penetration

Classes with decent capstones
Favored Soul- zero spellpoint spell and charisma bonus
Monk- bottomless Ki points
Ranger- ranged attack speed

Classes not listed above
Rogue- Cheat Death is weak, and rog20 brings nothing.
Cleric- Divine Intervention is weak and rarely usable, and cleric20 brings few spellpoints and slots with no good spells to put in them.

The conclusion is clear: Rogue and Cleric are not only among the classes which provide no important inherent feature at level 20, they're also the two classes where a level 20 character is likely to not even bother dropping the 2 AP into the capstone. It's funny to note that for a Cleric, even the monk capstone could be preferable...

Samadhi
10-14-2009, 10:41 AM
Personally, I would not list the cleric capstone that low, after having seen some 20 clerics use it quite effectively.

Junts
10-14-2009, 10:43 AM
Same, the cleric capstone has a few useful benefits since it actually prevents death .. but DDO would be far better off if cheat death were changed to use its mechanic (stopping at 1 hp) instead of its present mechanic.

Angelus_dead
10-14-2009, 10:49 AM
Same, the cleric capstone has a few useful benefits since it actually prevents death
The cleric capstone produces an effect that's better than useless, and which can possibly be very nice in certain uncommon occasions. But when considering how rarely you can apply that buff it's not good enough overall. A 5 minute cooldown AND consuming turn charges? It's not hilariously bad like the rogue one, but it still is inadequate as a reward for staying pure.

It would be fine actually to give it a 120 second cooldown and no turn cost.

Junts
10-14-2009, 10:53 AM
The cleric capstone produces an effect that's better than useless, and which can possibly be very nice in certain uncommon occasions. But when considering how rarely you can apply that buff it's not good enough overall. A 5 minute cooldown AND consuming turn charges? It's not hilariously bad like the rogue one, but it still is inadequate as a reward for staying pure.

It would be fine actually to give it a 120 second cooldown and no turn cost.

I agree it could stand to improve, but i will say that it has saved some significant grief in a few situations, and is excellent in tower part 3, where it's best placed on low-hp boot dps who might pull aggro off your tank and get 3 shot, since mobs reset aggro when someoen is incapacitated and saved by this effect. I've seen tower runs saved a lot of grief by it

Making it more usable would be great

however, I think simply giving cheat that mechanic to 1 hp (not to incapped) would make a singularly great enhancement, especially if the aggro reset was retained.

Angelus_dead
10-14-2009, 01:02 PM
Guess I may as well toss in (yet another) suggested alternative Cleric capstone:

Legendary Diligence- 2 AP, req cleric20
Almost nothing can sway you from your protective duties. Your spells that cure hitpoint damage, ability damage, or raise the dead are almost impossible to interrupt. If a concentration check fails on the spell, then it continues but costs +25% base spellpoints (assessed once per casting). If you are prone or entangled, +50% base spellpoints allow it to cast. If you are prevented from using spells (such as due to Antimagic Field, Madstone Rage, or Quell Intercession) the cost is +100% base spellpoints.

JakLee7
10-14-2009, 05:17 PM
Guess I may as well toss in (yet another) suggested alternative Cleric capstone:

Legendary Diligence- 2 AP, req cleric20
Almost nothing can sway you from your protective duties. Your spells that cure hitpoint damage, ability damage, or raise the dead are almost impossible to interrupt. If a concentration check fails on the spell, then it continues but costs +25% base spellpoints (assessed once per casting). If you are prone or entangled, +50% base spellpoints allow it to cast. If you are prevented from using spells (such as due to Antimagic Field, Madstone Rage, or Quell Intercession) the cost is +100% base spellpoints.

Now that would be nice!