PDA

View Full Version : Linking TR to Epic Quests

Thailand_Dan
10-14-2009, 09:52 AM
I've seen the "epic is too hard for most of the population" vs. "We want a challenge. So you shouldn't run it, if it's too hard" threads going on, and would rather not get into all that. Personally, I think it's fine to have some challenges in game that most cannot get through. However, having to complete Epic content to get tokens so you can true res is kind of making this content mandatory.

Some love pushing the edge for a challenge, chugging pots, spending tons of resources, grinding for the best gear, and putting together the best groups. The advantages which will be gained from running the epic content is truly epic gear, and the challenge of completing it. But, for someone who simply wants to switch up their toon levels, albeit because they made a mistake in the build, and are gimped or not as good as they can/should be, it seems punitive to only allow them to TR after running epic content to get tokens.

I know the TR token will be in the store, but many would rather not use this "easy button" to true rez. For the newbees dying for 32 pt builds and wallets full of cash, fine, let them Lesser and Greater Res. But for TR, shouldn't there be some other way to get the tokens? Perhaps, put it in the loot table for 20th completion of Shroud or the higher level raids. Not a guaranteed drop, even, just a chance for them to show up. This way, even high level players, without the desire or resources to go through the resource sink of epic content, can still make it to TR. The path would be a lot slower, but still possible, eventually.

Belwaar
10-14-2009, 10:06 AM
Didn't they say you could buy (TP) the Hearts of Wood to TR? (no flame, I'm serious)

Cedwin
10-14-2009, 10:10 AM
I know the TR token will be in the store, but many would rather not use this "easy button" to true rez.

You say that you don't want to press an easy button to get the true reincarnation tokens, but then you complain that you'll have to run an epic quest to get one?

Are you looking for a "Somewhat Easy Button"?

Shade
10-14-2009, 10:30 AM
This way, even high level players, without the desire or resources to go through the resource sink of epic content, can still make it to TR. The path would be a lot slower, but still possible, eventually.

Such a path already exists.

Grind out dozens of easy low lvl quests on elite for turbine pnts to purchase the heart.. 100 favor = 25 pnts.. Pretty crazy grind, but if your looking for the easy way out, there you go.

True Ressurections are meant to be a heavy grind anyways. Thats the purpose, to give somethign to the hardcore playrs that want to improve there character further.

It's not a feature for the casual gamers no.. But most of the game is already catered to them, does everything need to be?

kaelis
10-14-2009, 11:08 AM
Such a path already exists.

Grind out dozens of easy low lvl quests on elite for turbine pnts to purchase the heart.. 100 favor = 25 pnts.. Pretty crazy grind, but if your looking for the easy way out, there you go.

True Ressurections are meant to be a heavy grind anyways. Thats the purpose, to give somethign to the hardcore playrs that want to improve there character further.

It's not a feature for the casual gamers no.. But most of the game is already catered to them, does everything need to be?

Exactly what in this game is geared towards casual gaming? The shroud grind? The lotto DT system? The 20 raid completions? I know casual gamers who won't touch this content because of the grind required by their system, they were put in place to keep power gamers happy, and as you may have noticed, thats a fair chunk of content geared towards non casual play.

Thailand_Dan
10-14-2009, 11:13 AM
I am a VIP, getting 500 TPs a month, not to mention favor. If I want to buy it, I can. I have high level toons, tweaked out, I can run the content. That wasn't the point of the post. The point was, TR is basically a mechanism to respec a toon that's got problems, either from mistakes, or from changes in the game. It would seem the best candidates for TR are the least likely to be able to run the epic content. The power gamers will re-roll simply for the extra 2 build points, but I would think most people won't sacrifice the loss of +3 tomes, grinded out over months, for the small advantage of lack luster past-life feats and 2 extra build points.

Are the tokens bind to character or account? If they are to account, that's fine as you can run it on your good toon(s) and pass it to your weak one. But if it is to character, which I am guessing it is (like raid loot), the toons that need it the most won't have access to it unless they buy it.

I can understand people saying they don't want it in the store. But, that's already been decided...it will be available. So, what objection would you have to having the tokens drop somewhere other than the epic content? Make it a raid reward drop after say 50 completions. This would take many months, but would allow access to TR for frequent players who dislike the current design of epic dungeons (Inflated hps and blanket immunities).

And personally, I think it would be hard to call 50 completions an easy button.

Therigar
10-14-2009, 11:20 AM
You say that you don't want to press an easy button to get the true reincarnation tokens, but then you complain that you'll have to run an epic quest to get one?

Are you looking for a "Somewhat Easy Button"?

No, an "Even Easier than Easy Button". :D