PDA

View Full Version : What is a Guild and How does it work?

Shamurai
10-13-2009, 01:39 PM
Is there a definitive guide on who, what and where guilds are within the DDO world?
All I know is how much it costs in Turbine Points to create one

1) Who can join
2) What are the benefits
3) What is a Guild Bank, and how does it work
4) Permissions?
5) Chat Channels?
6) Offfical and Unnoficial rules?
7) Etc..

Thank you.

ArkoHighStar
10-13-2009, 01:46 PM
anyone can create a guild. VIP players can do so at will F2P players have to purchase a guild charter.

In DDO right now, guilds are little more than a name banner and a chat channel, each has a leader and the leader can nominate officers, both officers and the leader can invite or kick someone from the guild only the leader can kick an officer. there are no guild banks from a system perspective, although many larger guilds have bank characters that store some items that can be shared among the guild.

There are no real rules, other than guilds can develop reputations as they grow, and this can either help or hinder a player associated with that guild depending on the guild reputation.

Talish
10-13-2009, 01:47 PM
1) Who can join

Anyone

2) What are the benefits

Easier to find groups. Player with similar playstyles

These do not exist in game. Some guild have a bank character they use to collect items

4) Permissions?

Officers can invite new players in. Other than that no real permissions yet

5) Chat Channels?

Guild chat is like party chat but uses /G

Totally up to the guild

7) Etc..

DualBrain
10-13-2009, 01:48 PM
I'll attempt to answer these as best I can.

1) Who can join

Depends on the the guild and their respective goals and/or playstyles.

2) What are the benefits

Again, depends on the guilds. I would never join a guild with any "expected benefits" other than playing with like minded players who enjoy the game in a similar manner to the way that I play. As for "stuff", again, no real expectations.

A guild bank is an arbitrary way of guild members saying "hey, I have this stuff, any of you want it" and they submit those items to a "list". This list is managed in some manner (outside of the game) and you can choose to get an item off of that list based on the various guild rules that may be in place. DDO, to the best of my knowledge, does not have an in game guild "bank". LOTRO does, but that is because they also have guild housing.

4) Permissions?

Not sure what your asking reguarding permissions.

5) Chat Channels?

There is a special guild channel in DDO for all guild members to communicate with. Once you're part of a guild, you can talk to all other members of that guild in a channel that is private to the guild.

Many guilds have an official set of rules. Some more elaborate than others. There are also no common "rules" per say as every guild is different.

7) Etc..

At the end of the day, being part of a guild just means that you are (hopefully) playing with a larger group that is interested in playing the game in a similar manner as you are. Some are for roleplaying, and take this very seriously. Some are for power gaming... all about getting characters to 20 as fast as possible. Some are for perma-death, meaning if your character dies, you start over... no exception. Others are more about just playing the game for the games sake. Whatever you decide, there's a guild out there for the game style you choose.

Hope this helps.

If you're looking for a guild, you can find more information on ours by using MyDDO and searching for Cthulhu Templars (or by browsing to http://cthulhutemplars.com).

KoboldKiller
10-13-2009, 01:53 PM
A guild is formed by like minded individuals who operate under a leader who sets the tempo and rules for what the guild is about. Not unlike a cult :D.

Purple jumpsuits and Nikes optional.

Shamurai
10-13-2009, 02:09 PM
Thank you everyone for your clear and concise answers. LOL I did see the Cthulhu Templars recruitment ad and it got me thinking about Guilds. In my "other" game we have Clans that work pretty much the same as I am seeing here. But we can't share items (They greatlly restricted trade between players due to Real World Trading). We don't get cool banners over our head like in DDO though.

~ I'm guessing you can't really be in more then one guild at a time then right?
~ Basically a Clan Bank would be some toon with 3 bags and one bank (20 more slots) worth of space for storing clan items (unless it has more favor for more bags or bank) - Got it!

Much Appreciated.

Talish
10-13-2009, 02:13 PM
A single character can only belong to one guild at a time but that does not mean that a second character of yours can't belong to a different guild. I know several players that have characters in multiple guilds

Emili
10-13-2009, 02:16 PM
Mostly all have outlined much the same... but would like to add upon some of the benefits yet missed.

What are the benefits -

Socializing structure, because a guild entails a focus'd distinctive chat channel...

You play with people enough and you know what they bring to group:

Like-minded play style or not,
Well geared or not,
Highly skilled or not
Planned flagging <- need flaged for tower... looking for a cleric, /g Have a spot I'll bring mine.

Yes, group building is easier, but also entails you know exactly who and what you get within that group built from guildies... as such you know right away how much the quest is going to play out. As such, most vets typically take on new and first time elite content within mostly bounds of a guild.

Another benefit of a guild is ... bonding, trust and sharing.

This usually results in peoples generosities be shed upon guildies at first thought - Oh, I have x item or x item fits my build not ... /g "Hello, can anyone use item x?" or /g 'Anyone have a min level 10 vorpal I may borrow?", /g I need two more dragon relics before I may run tor <- /g You still need relics? I sent some.
Knowledge... be it an easy place to ask such questions as, My character has y what do you think my next feat should be? or... has anyone ever used x feat? or I do not remember how many times to turn the wheels in CO6 or von 5.<- guildchat will be instant answer much the time.

Shamurai
10-13-2009, 02:27 PM
Thanks Emili,

This is exactly what I was looking for as it related to my Clan Experience from my other game. My Clan had a peak membership of 150+ members and it was great always having someone to chat with, skill with, fight with, boss hunt with etc... I've been missing that a little. It's weird going from the most elite member of that clan to being such a newb in this game but I am adjusting LOL.

~ how does Voice Chat work (in regards to guilds). I know when I make a party VC works for that, but if I/ we are in Guild Chat.. can anyone with a mic chat like it was a party? I looove that aspect makes me feel more like Real PnP with people being able to talk to each other about everythign while we play

ArkoHighStar
10-13-2009, 02:30 PM
Thanks Emili,

This is exactly what I was looking for as it related to my Clan Experience from my other game. My Clan had a peak membership of 150+ members and it was great always having someone to chat with, skill with, fight with, boss hunt with etc... I've been missing that a little. It's weird going from the most elite member of that clan to being such a newb in this game but I am adjusting LOL.

~ how does Voice Chat work (in regards to guilds). I know when I make a party VC works for that, but if I/ we are in Guild Chat.. can anyone with a mic chat like it was a party? I looove that aspect makes me feel more like Real PnP with people being able to talk to each other about everythign while we play

guild chat is text only, most guilds use ventrillo or teamspeak for voice chat