PDA

View Full Version : +2 Str gloves with 3 haste or +1 Cha tome?

DnD3
10-12-2009, 06:35 PM
Which of these is more valuable? gloves with +2 str and 3 haste charges per day or a +1 cha tome? On my servers AH i do not see gloves with hase so I don't know the price.

Noctus
10-12-2009, 08:19 PM
You dont see these gloves in the AH, because they are vendortrash.

Pure statbooster items are worth something. If they are diluted with other stuff they become vendortrash.

If you look for clickys, like the 3xday haste it doesnt matter what they come with, as you only equip them to use the clicky, and then reequip your standard useful item. The clicky part and the statbooster part of the item not only have no synergy, but they work against each other as they raise the minimum level of the item.

A pure +2 STr and a pure 3xday haste clicky are much more usefull than both combined.

Oreg
10-12-2009, 08:22 PM
The +1 Charisma tome is situationally better than the vendor trash gloves:)

DnD3
10-12-2009, 08:43 PM

Pure statbooster items are worth something. If they are diluted with other stuff they become vendortrash.

If you look for clickys, like the 3xday haste it doesnt matter what they come with, as you only equip them to use the clicky, and then reequip your standard useful item. The clicky part and the statbooster part of the item not only have no synergy, but they work against each other as they raise the minimum level of the item.

A pure +2 STr and a pure 3xday haste clicky are much more usefull than both combined.

Is see, learned something new here, did not know about the min leveling part, thanks!

Brennie
10-12-2009, 09:14 PM
Take the tome.

Sell the tome.

Buy +6 strength item and 20 haste clickies.

I'm exagerating, but seriously, when the question is "Tome or ...", the answer is almost always "tome".

Or, you could plan a new bard, paladin, or sorceror character, and already have a head start ^_^

Tyndaleon
10-13-2009, 02:38 PM

I'm not quite sure I'm following the logic here, unless you mean it purely in the context of 'if you don't already have one, the other or both'? If you already have such an item where they're combined and not actively looking for a +stat item you need because of it, exactly how is the effectiveness of either diminished or otherwise hurting you? I would have thought having both on one item you're already equipping would be more advantageous as you wouldn't need to 'switch in' something else to use a clicky that's useful to you. If we're talking in terms of future usability twinking out an alt later down the road, then certainly I understand how a lower level item grants you the benefits sooner, but other than that.....I don't quite understand the thought process above. Feel free to clarify though, I'm very curious to see what I may be missing. :)

Side note: For clarification of my own, I do certainly understand a tome is always going to be worth more than the gloves, but I'm asking purely in the context of the discussion above without any tome being part of the equation or a comparison of 'value' there. And I read the above quoted post as stating that, for example, +2 con/3 charge haste clicky gloves are somehow less effective or desirable than switching between +2 con gloves and 3 charge haste clicky gloves, especially due to the last sentence.

Lorien_the_First_One
10-13-2009, 02:42 PM
Side note: For clarification of my own, I do certainly understand a tome is always going to be worth more than the gloves, but I'm asking purely in the context of the discussion above without any tome being part of the equation or a comparison of 'value' there. And I read the above quoted post as stating that, for example, +2 con/3 charge haste clicky gloves are somehow less effective or desirable than switching between +2 con gloves and 3 charge haste clicky gloves, especially due to the last sentence.

Everything you add to an item increases the minimum level you can use it at. So at a particular level you can wear +2 con gloves of haste clickie, or +3 con gloves. Alternatively, you can wear +2 con gloves 2 levels earlier than +2 con gloves of haste clickie.

Phidius
10-13-2009, 02:49 PM
Any Stat+6 item combined with a frequently used clicky is "better" than a similar Stat+6 item - once you are over level 13. Personally, I hate swapping items, and love having clickies on things I wear constantly.

In terms of plat value, however, the min level x +Stat item is worth more.

The min level x-2 +Stat item is worth even more.

The min level x - 4 +Stat item is definitely a keeper.

Tyndaleon
10-13-2009, 03:19 PM
Everything you add to an item increases the minimum level you can use it at. So at a particular level you can wear +2 con gloves of haste clickie, or +3 con gloves. Alternatively, you can wear +2 con gloves 2 levels earlier than +2 con gloves of haste clickie.

Gotcha....so I understood it right then pretty much....what he was saying basically has to do more with (assuming you're already at said level or above) more of a 'future usability of said item for other characters' mindset (assuming also your +stat mod isn't already +6) at that point then.

TehSilence
10-13-2009, 03:40 PM
Gotcha....so I understood it right then pretty much....what he was saying basically has to do more with (assuming you're already at said level or above) more of a 'future usability of said item for other characters' mindset (assuming also your +stat mod isn't already +6) at that point then.

Yes, and the assumption is, if you are level 7, you want to use the item that gets you the maximum stat boost you can wear, which will (except for items with race restrictions) have the level requirement of 7.

So in the context of which is worth more on the AH, somebody looking for a strength boosting item will generally NOT buy the gloves with a level restriction of 7 that are +2 with some spell effect, because there is another pair of gloves, also minimum level 7, that is +3 strength with NO spell effect. They want the most strength they can get.

Conversely, someone looking for a haste clickie will not care what stat boosting power the item has, since they will only use it to do haste, and likely already have a good stat booster.

sirgog
10-13-2009, 07:38 PM
Haste clickies are far from worthless - they sell reasonably well on the AH as long as it is a 3 or 5 use clicky. (The +Str is irrelevant)

That said, the tome was still the wise choice. But were the choice between a +5 Full Plate and that clicky, I'd take the clicky in a heartbeat.