PDA

View Full Version : Crucial Suggestion: new Reincarnation type to change nothing but level

Angelus_dead
10-12-2009, 01:12 PM
The Suggestion
Add another kind of in-game service called Least Reincarnation (or even a non-reincarnation name) which costs only a nominal fee in plat or items. It can be used by characters level 4+, and it will reduce you to a level of your choice at least 3 below your current level. If you hold items that would be unequippable at that level, you can choose whether to keep holding them, or send them to a special bank. When you return to the reincarnate trainer you can instantly switch back to your previous level, with nothing at all about your character changed. (Favor or items earned while deleveled are be kept)

Why is this Important?
A clever man said that an MMORPG earns profit by renting access to its customers. That's true: the core of the business is that you provide infrastructure for people to play a game together. Obstacles to customers playing together undermine the business viability. They can particularly make it hard for new players to join, if the population base has all moved on to high-level content.

Currently DDO involves a major obstacle to two customers playing together: even if they're on the same server, they might not have characters of corresponding levels. There are two ways players can work around it, but they're both too much effort: either the low player tries to advance, or the high player buys another slot and then races to advance and catch up. Obviously neither solves the problem of "Need caster for Pit, know the quest".

The proposed system would allow a capped or high-level character to briefly drop down to assist other players whose enjoyment of the game is blocked by lack of characters to recruit. For example, if I have a level 20 cleric I could drop to 12 to help a VON pug or even 6 to run Stormcleave. That ability would be a major improvement to DDO's accessibility. For comparison, look at the mentor/sidekick feature of City of Heros, or the dynamic level cap of Final Fantasy XI.

Additional Note
Maybe Turbine doesn't want to allow temporary de-levelling to be too available, because it could undercut the market for new character slots. If that is a concern, they could put an extra limitation on it, such as a character de-levelled in this way being unable to enter quests unless another character was already in. Or there are a variety of other approaches. It would be a mistake to look at this feature as competing directly with slot sales. Keep in mind that low-level adventure packs would become more attractive if more players are able to delevel and play them properly.

Hokonoso
10-12-2009, 05:36 PM
mentoring is a great idea and should simply be a feature like in EQ2, no gear changed or any skill changes, just toned down stats to show your current level.

this would def make the game more interesting!

Angelus_dead
10-12-2009, 06:14 PM
mentoring is a great idea and should simply be a feature like in EQ2, no gear changed or any skill changes, just toned down stats to show your current level.
There are a lot of different ways they could potentially do it. It seems that DDO's character stats are more complicated than in EQ2, so it wouldn't be so simple to just "tone them down". For example, what should Blade Barrier be like if a Cleric reduces to level 7?

I'm guessing that since they already are putting Reincarnation to reduce your level and make changes, it should be rather easy to instead reduce your level and change nothing.

Junts
10-12-2009, 06:45 PM
There are a lot of different ways they could potentially do it. It seems that DDO's character stats are more complicated than in EQ2, so it wouldn't be so simple to just "tone them down". For example, what should Blade Barrier be like if a Cleric reduces to level 7?

I'm guessing that since they already are putting Reincarnation to reduce your level and make changes, it should be rather easy to instead reduce your level and change nothing.

It could work like the way negative levels stack, with adjusted modifiers to make sure that the stacking isnt too severe past a few levels .. reduction in spell damage dice, spell pen rolls, max hp/sp, skill and saves checks, etc .. leaving gear alone would make those characters extremely powerful at level, though, a problem that doesnt seem to quite be an issue for other games doing this because they can just scale back the stats. . ddo derived statistics don't quite work the same. The ac and dps builds would be more of an issue than scaled back casters casting higher level spells. Could have primary (defined as any stat over, say, 25) reduced by x per y levels, so as to bring damage/sp/etc down a bit more, in fact, str stats etc might end up abnormally low, but it would compensate for the increased damage

Anything that retained access to old gear would both be way easier and way unbalancing though, thats the real problem, the equipment. everything else can be solved with existing mechanics (the neg level mecahnics altered to fit). Its whether oyu make someone find whole eq sets (which would suck, since its pretty difficult to make a whole at-level set of gear) or let people keep their existing ones (which are probably too powerful).

Think about the problem of someone who wants to reduce from cap to gianthold level in order to help, but can't even use his assroted clickies because he has draconic necklaces instead of girds, etc .. it would take an hour to dig up all the proper equipment to be level 12 for 45 minutes to do crucible with your friend

On the other hand, doing deleras with a triple pos maul would pretty much make it irrelevant what the other people did .. though its already a huge difference between twinked and untwinked, so maybe that's only ap roblem in appearances and not in practice .. a twinked character already solos thew hole quest while untwinked ones try and keep up in many cases.

Angelus_dead
10-12-2009, 06:56 PM
Anything that retained access to old gear would both be way easier and way unbalancing though, thats the real problem, the equipment. everything else can be solved with existing mechanics (the neg level mecahnics altered to fit). Its whether oyu make someone find whole eq sets (which would suck, since its pretty difficult to make a whole at-level set of gear) or let people keep their existing ones (which are probably too powerful).
Yes, equipment is a concern. In the suggestion above, I said that characters would not be able to use items whose min level was above their newly-reduced level. It isn't really too hard to obtain lower-level items to wear, although it is an obstacle.

I'd suggest that when the "Least Reincarnation" is activated, you are given access to loaner gear of the appropriate level. For a ready-made basis, it could include whatever a hireling of that level carries.

An alternative suggestion (which takes more programming to get working) is that when a de-levelled character attempts to equip an item whose ML is above him, part of the item abilities are suppressed. A +5 Holy Battleaxe of Righteousness functions as +1 Holy Right, for example...

Natashaelle
10-13-2009, 07:39 AM
I very much like this idea, but I'm not sure it's really Reincarnation as such -- maybe just add some Vampire NPC somewhere who will happily perma-drain levels from you ;)

Angelus_dead
10-13-2009, 11:37 AM
I very much like this idea, but I'm not sure it's really Reincarnation as such -- maybe just add some Vampire NPC somewhere who will happily perma-drain levels from you
Temporary! It has to be a temporary drain...

And yes, I did mention that a name not involving "reincarnate" could be good for it, to help emphasize that when it's over you've changed nothing.

Missing_Minds
10-13-2009, 11:42 AM
I made the suggestion about a year back for mentoring, suggestion that to move to a lower level, the character be granted temp negative levels that could not be removed. Given the fact that a negative level is a double penalty compared to the single that it should be, I found it to be fair enough to do that while still allowing them to use all the equipment they are used to. Baring UMD of course.