PDA

View Full Version : Pally taking massive damage

Widmore
10-10-2009, 10:50 AM
Hello all. This is my first venture into DDO and I'm completely loving it so far. I needed a break from WoW, and who can beat free?
So, I wanted my main to be a heavy hitting DPS paladin (I'm thinking retribution in terms of WoW), so I chose the Flame of Justice path. I know custom characters can be better, but I also heard they can be complicated for new players so a path will get you going faster.

He's been working great so far, but now in higher levels (he just hit 5) with groups I seem to be taking alot of damage. Where after a boss fight, everyone is around half health, I have so little that one small drop could kill me. What I'm wondering is.... well I'm not quite sure what I'm wondering. Basically am I doing something wrong? I'm not using a shield, I admit, because I'm doing all the two-handed skills and feats, so I'm sure that's part of it. But what else can I do to mitigate damage while still dealing out the damage? I'm not sure how aggro works in this game, but could me dealing the most damage draw the mobs attention to me, be part of it?

Basically just looking for some advice from veteran front-line men.

Thanks

Visty
10-10-2009, 10:53 AM
dunno what that path is,m never played a pally, but the common rules for low lvl is:
grab the highest +armor and the highest +shield you can find and get some armor class
then things dont hit you

Quikster
10-10-2009, 11:00 AM
Good advice above. Yes doing the most damage can cause you to get agro. Some agro is random as well (but usually not till much later)

If there is an ac tank, let them get agro first.

Toss a shield on to bump ac and lower damage.

Use buffs like barkskin, blur, shield of faith for miss chances and buff up ac

If you grab agro and the healer cant keep you up, turtle up yertle :D

If the healer can keep you up, try to position the mob so you are the only one taking damage, then you are tanking and everyone else is off the hook.

Mav145
10-10-2009, 11:01 AM
I can't tell you in terms of a paladin but I have a warforged tank at level 5. His AC is around 34 without a shield equiped and I have a +3 mithral shield that I use....so that puts me around 40 AC. I can tank everything up to Sorrowdusk rares and rarely get hit. My intim is weak so I lose intim to a high-dps character but as long as I can maintain aggro, nothing touches me.

So, just take those figures and try to figure out how that applies to a paladin. I'm assuming a pally with +3 mithral fp and a +3 mith shield would get somewhere around those same figures....and the same results.

zooble
10-10-2009, 12:34 PM
a new player wouldn't have access to those items readily

DoctorWhofan
10-10-2009, 12:47 PM
Areu using intimidate? Or any Pally effect that cause greater hate? THen you need to stop. If you don't have a good AC, that will kill you. Also Adamitine armour/shields will help, too.

as itwas said above, hitting things will mean you will get hit, also, but beingthe center of attention w/o AC is bad. THe best practice is the one with the highest AC should go first, then the killers. DOesn't always happen though.

Nothing wrong with two handed weapons, you will be the DPS person later on. But never volunteer as point. You'd never survive.

ReaperAlexEU
10-10-2009, 03:22 PM
you need to see your self as an off-tank, someone who goes in just after the main tank to help kill the mobs fast. try to limit how much aggro you draw and know when to back off. with a 2 hander this might mean positioning your self so your not clipping other mobs. yes its a drop in total DPS, but if you cant handle the aggro then your only going to be burning healing resources.

if your getting hurt fast then jump backwards and pull out a shield. when you land (not before!) push and hold shift to block and don't attack. this will gives you some damage reduction and hopefully the healer can patch you up or the other tanks pull aggro off you.

also as a paladin your capable of healing in and out of battle. if the fight is going well, but your going down as fast as the boss then stay in the fight and use one of your lay on hands. that will give you a massive boost of hit points back, especially when you start to get charisma items on. you can also use lay on hands to save other party members who are going down.

other than that you can use any wand up to a cure serious. the cure lights are very cheap, but you may want a cure medium at lvl5. if the group is struggling then use your wand to heal up between battles and preserve the clerics mana for in battle. paladins, rangers and bards can all use wands, other classes need to use pots. if a party pulls together and all starts wand whipping between fights then things will go much better.

my first fighter is squishy too, and also uses 2 handed whomping sticks, he's now lvl19 and raiding. one of the best weapons i ever got for him was a paralyser, look out for one when you get to lvl10+, hopefully you'll have one by lvl15. that drops your DPS a little but turns you into a crowd control machine thats still dishing out the pain, a wonderful combination :)