PDA

View Full Version : What is the game plan for characters de-leveled by reincarnation?

moorewr
10-10-2009, 09:13 AM
Tolero and friends:
What is the game plan for characters de-leveled by reincarnation?

Is it enough to submit tickets and leave the character on the Heart of the Wind? Will the characters be returned to pre-reincarnation state, or given their missing data?

-moorewr, former player of a level 17 sorc. :rolleyes:

moorewr
10-10-2009, 09:30 AM
Well, that answers that question.. a GM closed my ticket with the form letter..

Aspenor
10-10-2009, 09:31 AM
:(

Lorien_the_First_One
10-10-2009, 10:53 AM
Tolero and friends:
What is the game plan for characters de-leveled by reincarnation?

Is it enough to submit tickets and leave the character on the Heart of the Wind? Will the characters be returned to pre-reincarnation state, or given their missing data?

-moorewr, former player of a level 17 sorc. :rolleyes:

test server.... `

Vanda
10-10-2009, 11:18 AM
I lost a character and fully expect nothing to be done about it. The entire reason for this server is to find issues like this. Suck it up, be happy it happened here, move on.

moorewr
10-10-2009, 11:18 AM
test server.... `

http://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~jskong/orly.gif

Borror0
10-10-2009, 11:19 AM
test server.... `
Hard to test if all your toons are level 1. ;)

SableShadow
10-10-2009, 11:24 AM

Very much this. While it's traditional on the forums to drop a 'Suck it up, buttercup!' when someone wants something fixed, nuking test characters slows down testing.

Heck, do a refresh from live and call it a day.

moorewr
10-10-2009, 11:24 AM

..and hard to get the reincarnation rolled back or fixed if you don't ask.

Also, to V et al.:

Now that we've cleared up whether I know this is a test server or not, think about it this way. Turbine will need procedures fixing messed up reincarnations for the live game. It would be a big confidence booster for them (and for players) if they can rescue a living specimen from the wild (ie, a character on Lamannia) that has been messed up by reincarnation.

Borror0
10-10-2009, 11:37 AM
Heck, do a refresh from live and call it a day.
That would be preferable since two important new features (Epic quests and True Reincarnation) are only available to level 20 characters.

Very few players have level 20 characters on Lamannia and few will be willing to level up a character on a test server to test those feature.

Lorien_the_First_One
10-10-2009, 11:42 AM

true, but thats also the argument players use for more frequent updaes of lama and we've been told thats a big deal and not a quick 'refresh from live' as another poster put it. I hardly expect you delevelled all your characters :p

We also all know that something very missing from the test server is an NPC or quest that lets you autolevel for free. This would really help testing (ie - a quest that autocompletes by talking to the NPC right inside the quest door for 1,000,000 XP. Just walk in, then go level. Rinse and repeat as needed. That would allow for real testing of new races, classes, levels, etc in the future and you could just shut down that quest on live. Some of the l20s on lama now are from a bug that more slowly allowed you to do just this...it was helpful.

Borror0
10-10-2009, 12:00 PM
true, but thats also the argument players use for more frequent updaes of lama and we've been told thats a big deal and not a quick 'refresh from live' as another poster put it.
A rollback is not the same thing as more frequent updates.

I hardly expect you delevelled all your characters :p
"All your characters" and "all your level 20 characters that are needed to test Epic quests and True Reincarnation" are two different thing.

The latter is much more probable and problematic for Turbine.

We also all know that something very missing from the test server is an NPC or quest that lets you autolevel for free.
Obviously.

moorewr
10-12-2009, 10:14 AM
Working day bump.

Hmm. I wonder if Turbine takers Columbus Day off?

Borror0
10-12-2009, 12:21 PM
Hmm. I wonder if Turbine takers Columbus Day off?
No, they're obviously taking the day off for the Canadian Thanksgiving.

moorewr
10-12-2009, 12:28 PM
No, they're obviously taking the day off for the Canadian Thanksgiving.

That's not just obvious, it's DOUBLE PLUS obvious!

Turial
10-12-2009, 12:30 PM
That would be preferable since two important new features (Epic quests and True Reincarnation) are only available to level 20 characters.

Very few players have level 20 characters on Lamannia and few will be willing to level up a character on a test server to test those feature.

This brings me back to an old suggestion for the test server. Give players topped off xp. That way players can level to the cap almost instantly to test the new content. Or start off new characters and bring them up to the level of new content.

Yeah they won't have the right gear for it but few people do on the test server because of how old their characters are.

Thorzian
10-12-2009, 12:45 PM
canadian thanksgiving ftw!! mmmmm, turkey

Monkey_Archer
10-12-2009, 12:47 PM
Agreed.

IMO they should remove xp altogether on lammania...

I, (and probably many others) would like to test everything out... But have no desire to try to relevel year-old toons just to do so...

This would allow more thorough testing, more bugs reported, more feedback... etc...

moorewr
10-12-2009, 12:47 PM
hmmm.. pillaging and looting the Caribbean or turkey dinner six weeks early?

Advantage: USA!!!!
:cool:

Talon_Moonshadow
10-12-2009, 02:53 PM
Well, it is a test server. I see no reason for them to fix a broke char on a test server.

But...

It would be a much more valuable test server, if there was a way to create a lvl 20 char instantly IMO.

I don't have a lvl 20 yet even on a live server.

I have zero intention to devote time lvling up a temp char on a test server.

Now...
I would love to experiment with these new features.
And feats and all the great stuff you guys have added.

I would love to do some testing of my own.

Help me plan my real char's futures by letting me make mistaks in a test server environment.

But I cannot do that without a lvl up button.

Why, oh why will you guys not add such a simple thing for your test server?

What would it hurt for everyone to be able to press a button and lvl up as high as they wanted instantly, on a test server?

IMO that would make it more valuable for everyone involved.

moorewr
10-12-2009, 03:11 PM
Well, it is a test server. I see no reason for them to fix a broke char on a test server.

Actually, Turbine says it's a "preview" server. There's the Unnamed Server for actual testing, and trust me, they get instant level-ups, instant gear, and everything else you can think of for testing.

As for "no reason.." well, that depends what they want out of people using Lamannia.. and whether they want to test whether they can extricate themselves from reincarnation disasters on live servers.

All I want is for Turbine to say whether they are fixing broken characters, doing a roll-back, or doing nothing.

Borror0
10-12-2009, 03:16 PM
hmmm.. pillaging and looting the Caribbean or turkey dinner six weeks early?
If you're in college, you get a week of holiday. Depending on your age, that is a win for Canada.

moorewr
10-12-2009, 03:20 PM
If you're in college, you get a week of holiday.

point for Canada, but another point and the match to the US for having a giant nuclear weapons arsenal we can never actually use.

Borror0
10-12-2009, 03:35 PM
point for Canada, but another point and the match to the US for having a giant nuclear weapons arsenal we can never actually use.
Whatever, we are really big (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vxDDcTc64c)! Win for us. Fear our largeness.

moorewr
10-12-2009, 06:46 PM
Whatever, we are really big (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vxDDcTc64c)! Win for us. Fear our largeness.

That was amusing. :)

moorewr
10-13-2009, 10:43 AM
*bump*

moorewr
10-14-2009, 09:46 AM
bump - come on, devs, this is easy to answer - it's either will fix, wont fix, or don't know yet.

irivan
10-14-2009, 09:55 AM
On day one of launch after i did about 4 of 5 of the new quests on in the harbor. Pretty early in the morning, i mean it must have been like 2 hours after the server came up.

I have to tell you, i just chalked it up after sending a bug report.

I am sure it will be fixed when it goes live.

I just went back to the live servers.

Good luck.

moorewr
10-15-2009, 10:32 AM
Bump.

Borror0
10-15-2009, 10:34 AM
Bumping is forbidden. Make creative bumps to hide it, at least. ;)

moorewr
10-15-2009, 10:39 AM
Bumping is forbidden. Make creative bumps to hide it, at least. ;)

It is is forbidden, and yet I bump. :cool:

moorewr
10-15-2009, 11:02 AM
From the Lesser Reincarnation thread:

On a non-sequitor speaking of broken characters... today's update to Lamannia should correct issues with lesser and greater reincarnation. If you were in a broken state, you should be able to use the reincarnate button again. Please let us know if this does not correct the error screen issue.

lanthan
10-15-2009, 02:02 PM
From the Lesser Reincarnation thread:

as far as i can tell this fix only helps if you never logged back into your character after the reincarnation failed. If you went in game with the character and the reincarnation button went away this does not help you.

moorewr
10-15-2009, 06:34 PM
as far as i can tell this fix only helps if you never logged back into your character after the reincarnation failed. If you went in game with the character and the reincarnation button went away this does not help you.

That's what I see as well.

moorewr
10-19-2009, 11:13 AM
Still no fix, and no discussion - except for characters that would not load at all - by anyone from Turbine.

Dear Turbine, this is easy:

[ ] Will Fix
[ ] Wont Fix
[ ] Don't know yet

Please check one or more boxes. :)

Lorien_the_First_One
10-19-2009, 01:14 PM
For what its worth...if they put in the levelling NPC that was mentioned in another thread (I think it was Mad who mentioned it...might have be Eladrin) then it will be easy enough for people to relevel or build new replacement test chars.

Borror0
10-19-2009, 01:40 PM
It was MadFloyd. If you do a search for "Friday afternoon thoughts" you should find that post quickly. I'm too lazy to do that though.

GoldyGopher
10-19-2009, 02:49 PM
If someone finds it, please post a link here. I think I checked all the Friday threads but... I couldn't find it.

Borror0
10-19-2009, 04:17 PM
If someone finds it, please post a link here. I think I checked all the Friday threads but... I couldn't find it.
http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?p=2490178#post2490178

Key Word(s): Friday
User Name: MadFloyd
Take taken: 3s

:)

Lorien_the_First_One
10-19-2009, 04:42 PM
Hmm....you know once they put in the levelling NPC all they need is a Lama vendor that lets you buy any named item for face value so you can equip them :p

Of course everyone will then be completely over equiped and unable to test properly...but it would be fun :p