PDA

View Full Version : [quick guide] Forget about typing: use a Voice Chat!

Zodh
10-10-2009, 03:30 AM
1) Buy a HEADSET.
It's really annoying, when I say something, then hear it BACK with someone else.
This happens when you use a mic AND speakers.
Please, use a HEADSET.

2) Plug it in.
Pink goes to pink jack [mic in], green goes to green jack [line in].

3) TEST it.
Start the game, load your character, go to "Options/Audio" and check "Mic Test".
Try saying something.
Can you hear yourself well?
Depending on the answer:
- boost it
- turn it down
- change the mic-mouth distance

Depending on your personal preferences, change the volumes in order to hear others.

I have:
Sound Effects Volume [0.01]
Music Volume [0.00]
UI Volume [0.03]
DM Narrator Volume [0.00]
Voice Volume [1.00]
Voice Mic Gain [1.00]
Voice Capture Threshold [0.00]
Voice Playback Latency [100.0]

4) Use Push2Talk.
It means "you press and hold the button, you say something, you release the button".
So, uncheck "Hands Free Voice" in "Options/Audio".
Then go to "Options/Key Mapping/Interaction" and set your "Voice Push To Talk" button .

As an alternative to Push2Talk you can configure "Voice Capture Threshold" and check "Hands Free Voice".
Yes, it's convenient, but no one wants to hear your couging, groaning, whining, talking to somebody else.
So test it really good before using.

5) Learn to use it properly.
a) TEST it once again: there are too many people that have unadjusted mics [you either can't hear them or they're too loud and that hurts ears]
b) Speak DISTINCTLY: there are players from all over the world, not everyone can understand your fluent speech.
[I]Remark: I've heard so many beautiful and distinct voices so far. THANK YOU.
c) Don't talk RUBBISH: if you feel that you are the only one talking [usually off-topic], more likely no one wants to hear [=maintain the conversation] anything that does NOT concern current quest/game/etc.
You would probably hear back dull responds like "wow", "kewl", "gz" and rarely "$TFU already" because they are too polite.

Please, make this thread STICKY.

Any suggestions, remarks would be appreciated.

GlassCannon
10-10-2009, 03:42 AM
Those that prefer it, will not use a headset.

In your case, Anonymous, learn to type at around 200wpm+

That way, you can type while dodging something and hit enter, releasing "Gh plz, acid, jump" in less than half a second, or "Take mephits first" while you flank a Flesh Render.

If you are going to do what I do, do it as well as I do it, or don't do it at all.

IN FACT!!! - I prefer groups that use no voice chat, so I can jam out to music while I play, and move tactically. Actions are my preferred language.

Once again - If you are going to avoid using a mic, learn to type like greased lightning. If you do use Voice Chat, I expect you to also enable Push To Talk so I don't have to listen to your breathing kicking my SVM on and bumping your sultry breathing up by 50db over my music so I can understand any vague syllables mouthed out by such an iresome wretch.

Orratti
10-10-2009, 03:47 AM
Nope. Had voice chat, only the leader needs it, mic on headset broke a while back and thinking about never replacing it.

Minor_Threat
10-10-2009, 03:57 AM
I think VC is irritating, I only use it if I'm leading or if i'm in a quest that requires some type of quick feedback from me (which is very few).

It's a convenience for people, I agree.
But definitely not a necessity.

uhgungawa
10-10-2009, 03:59 AM
And when your friendly cleric is watching health bars and not chat. Oops that neg level to death musta sucked :D

sirgog
10-10-2009, 04:14 AM
4) Use PUSH2TALK.
It means "you press and hold the button, you say something, you release the button".
"Hands Free Voice" is convenient, but no1 wants to hear your couging, groaning, whining, talking to somebody else.
REALLY annoying!
So, uncheck "Hands Free Voice" in "Options/Audio".
Then go to "Options/Key Mapping/Interaction" and set your "Voice Push To Talk" button (I have it on "R" button).

If you *significantly* up your Voice Capture Threshold, you can easily get away with hands-free voice; with the exception of times that you ahve a cold or cough.

The breathing won't come through, and neither will your housemate's music or the sound of you neighbour's cat getting run over.

Zodh
10-10-2009, 09:24 AM
Well, this is the most irrational-in-our-situation-with-the-game advice I've ever heard.
Though, I've just checked my typing speed: 350cpm (wpm is not that accurate) in English and 420cpm in Russian (cuz I type in Russian more, obviously).

That way, you can type while dodging something and hit enter, releasing "Gh plz, acid, jump" in less than half a second, or "Take mephits first" while you flank a Flesh Render.

Why the hell on earth I would TYPE something, if i can actually SAY it?

I'm not talking about what you can and what you cannot do.
Of course you can do everything!
Even play with one finger and without a mouse.
But I'm talking about what's more convenient.
Does this word mean anything to you?

And do NOT tell me that it's easier to use a regular chat and TYPE/SEE rather than use a VC and actually SAY/HEAR.
It's like replacing real life speech with TEXT:
"hey, why talk? - let's TYPE!", so you stand in front of each other and send messages.

Honestly, I've never thought that someone would be against distinct VC.
And I am truly disappointed.
I guess we'll just have to stay away from each other.
So if you see "VC only" in LFG, just ignore.
Though, I think PUG is too low for you...

redvirusx
10-10-2009, 09:30 AM
What about people who have music on? Voice chat volumes down? (Or off after a bad run in with a little kid screaming in a dungeon)

If you're going to use voice chat instead of typing, you should let your party know so that they can either listen for you, or request you don't use it because they have music playing.

Zodh
10-10-2009, 09:35 AM
What about people who have music on?
It's simple: stay away from VC groups.

Voice chat volumes down? (Or off after a bad run in with a little kid screaming in a dungeon)
Never had such problems.
And if I would - this kid would be "removed" asap without even having a chance to make our run "bad".

If you're going to use voice chat instead of typing, you should let your party know so that they can either listen for you, or request you don't use it because they have music playing.

I do not use VC at all if at least ONE person cannot hear me.
And OF COURSE i check this every time!

Form a group, start a quest, then find out that somebody can't actually hear me?
Should I say something to those who CAN hear me and then type it to those, who CAN'T?
No, thank you.

In fact, I AM the one who forms LFG with "VC only" so I don't have such problems.

Of course there are exceptions, like "folks are sleeping" - when I don't use VC and don't interfere with "VC only" groups.

tihocan
10-10-2009, 10:48 AM
I don't use VC :p

Zodh
10-10-2009, 10:49 AM
Gratz -.-

Visty
10-10-2009, 10:51 AM
what about hsoe ppl without a soundcard
i guess they can be lucky they dont can group with you ;)

demanding something in a mmo is stupid, esp if youre just to lazy to type

rest
10-10-2009, 10:53 AM
Typing FTW.

I seldom use voice chat. In Abbot where voice chat is essential. Occasionally in a shortman raid group. Otherwise I just type. Much easier.

Visty
10-10-2009, 10:54 AM
In Abbot where voice chat is essential.

not even in abbot is voice chat ''needed''
it might be easier for some, but isnt needed

Zodh
10-10-2009, 10:55 AM

If I was "too lazy to type" I would've record an audio file with my whining and would've attach it as a file to this thread instead of writing ~281 words.

rest
10-10-2009, 10:56 AM
not even in abbot is voice chat ''needed''
it might be easier for some, but isnt needed

Well, it makes teaching people the puzzles easier. So you're correct it is not "essential". Unfortunately people tend to gloss over party chat if they use VC exclusively. Sometimes people don't see what I type. I don't want that to happen in Abbot. Not that I've been in there since they screwed up Disjunction...

Visty
10-10-2009, 12:01 PM
Well, it makes teaching people the puzzles easier. So you're correct it is not "essential". Unfortunately people tend to gloss over party chat if they use VC exclusively. Sometimes people don't see what I type. I don't want that to happen in Abbot. Not that I've been in there since they screwed up Disjunction...

well, then let ig go both ways: you dont hear what they say :)
and looking for what someone typed is at least doable, but what someone said is gone forever cause it isnt recorded

Yurtrus
10-10-2009, 12:25 PM
@rus.andr0

I don't care if you don't speak on in game voice, but you better have ears at least. There is no way to properly communicate with the team unless you can HEAR.. We are not going to type the proper way to do things and just because you people THINK there is only one way to get things done, you best be leading and expect your team ( pug ) to all know the way ( arrogant ) or you better have the ability to speak to the team. This is absolutely stupid.. I cannot believe you people would actually say something like " its great to have but not require? " Speaking is NOT required, LISTENING is..

WOw.. I really can't believe that you people would tell new players that have no idea what to do not to have a headset or the ability to speak. Wow, just wow..

and visty: if you don't have a sound card you probably won't be playing this game..

Voice chat is essential and if you need the leader of the group to tell you to turn it on, well your thinking is just backwards..

No voice chat, tell players to listen cause I am not typing.. you people are nuts.. If you don't have a headset or sound in the game YOU BETTER be telling the leader of the group your damn self.

Saice
10-10-2009, 12:30 PM
I'll have VC up but I don't use a mic. Aside of the fact it broke most of the time I play at night and don't really need to be waking anyone up with trying to yell into my mic becuase one guy keep saying they cant here me.

So I type.

Also I can listen to music and VC just fine they have independent volume controls.

You don't need to type 3000000000+ words per minute for text. A simple STOP or WAIT should cause the group to pause while you type out why.

I find the people that can not be bothered to read chat are usally the same that don't listen when you yell at them to wait for the rouge to disarm or to let the tank get Argo first anyways.

I do find it amusing that I've been seeing more LFM tags that have in all caps "VC AND MIC A MUST. NO ONE UNDER 14!" Did not know they were checking for ID now in groups.

All in all only one or two people need a mic a group. The leader and the main healer are about it.

Maybe one day I'll replace my mic but I don't feel the need to becuae when I did have a mic and played more durning the days I spoke rarely as it is. Mostly just a "Sup where to?" and a few "ok"

Zodh
10-10-2009, 12:33 PM
I see some SANE comments here. Keep 'em coming, guys!

Visty
10-10-2009, 12:37 PM
and visty: if you don't have a sound card you probably won't be playing this game..

and why?
it not like sound is needed

Yurtrus
10-10-2009, 12:41 PM
because every motherboard made in the last 4 years has sound onboard. You don't need a sound card and if you do then your machine probably is so old you could not install and play the game in a worthwhile state.

it's not like sound is needed? OMG.. How the heck do you know where something is coming from, where to go next, what to accomplish in the dungeon, if something you broke dropped something? or if you are getting beat up unless you have sound of some kind.. I am not talking here about people who are deaf playing the game.. there is reason at that point to not have sound and I am sure it makes the game 10 times harder then it is.. but to not have sound when you can and to make people think it is not needed well.. just silly and bad advice

Visty
10-10-2009, 12:45 PM
because every motherboard made in the last 4 years has sound onboard. You don't need a sound card and if you do then your machine probably is so old you could not install and play the game in a worthwhile state.

it's not like sound is needed? OMG.. How the heck do you know where something is coming from, where to go next, what to accomplish in the dungeon, if something you broke dropped something? or if you are getting beat up unless you have sound of some kind.. I am not talking here about people who are deaf playing the game.. there is reason at that point to not have sound and I am sure it makes the game 10 times harder then it is.. but to not have sound when you can and to make people think it is not needed well.. just silly and bad advice

i use my eyes :)
and tbh, i dont have any ingame sound anyway cause i turned it down and ususly listen to music as well

and, oh wonder, it works just fine

demanding that ppl should buy a headphone and never type is just silly and bad advice too

Zodh
10-10-2009, 12:50 PM
It's not a DEMAND, it's a call, appeal.
You've made your point, I ain't gonna reassure you

whysper
10-10-2009, 12:51 PM
I cannot be bothered to read this chat (seriously, can you guys not just record your message and link to it or something?) so someone may have mentioned this but I could not really care less, it obviously is not important enough:

Want to use a mic? Fantastic, go right ahead. I will be able to hear you just fine.

Zodh
10-10-2009, 01:01 PM
Best scenario for me: to NOT pay attention to incoming chat messages, because all my attention is the GAME and LISTENING.
This can be achieved only if ALL use VC.
6 player using VC = no chat tab = more space in UI.
It's NOT critical, but I'd prefer so that everyone can not only hear me, but also voice me back.
But being able to hear (though without a mic) is better than NOT.
So it goes like this:
Headphones + Mic > Headphones > [Cannot hear, uses chat = not welcome]
Obviously.

TehSilence
10-10-2009, 01:21 PM

I would agree that everyone needs to be able to hear in the game, whether or not they are going to talk. It seems like a no-brainer that you would be severely limiting yourself in a group that does use VC if you can't hear them. If I was in a group like that, I'd probably stop to type important instructions to those who can't hear them, but when combat is happening they are just going to have to figure it out for themselves. When the unexpected happens (and it happens a lot), the intentionally deaf may be a liability.

Sound is often the first warning that combat is occurring. Something sneaks up behind and one of your party members sees it and fires an arrow or spell, or swings a weapon -- if you can't hear and they aren't in your line of sight, you are clueless. Even before anyone's health changes, people that can hear game sounds will be alerted by the sound of a weapon swoosh or bow fwip and can react before those that are just relying on what they see.

Saice
10-10-2009, 01:24 PM
I multi-task just fine between listing to VC and watching chat. Oh and check with out when I'm main heal I can even keep on eye on them little red bars.

Look YMMV on this but demanding or appealing as you are calling it now. That everyone use VC and MIC or GTFO really is not going to charge things.

Good groups work not becuase they are only using VC/MIC and ignoring text chat. They are good groups becuase they work well together which does not require everyone to use a mic. Only that everyone is aware of the group and whats going on around them.

I agree if the leader asks you to turn on VC so you can hear him it is a good idea to do so. But it does not mean you have to get a mic out and it should not be that much of a bother for people to keep an eye on chat.

borgx
10-10-2009, 01:46 PM
It's called USB. Many headsets come as USB only or mini-jack with USB attachment.

Zodh
10-10-2009, 01:57 PM
Since some things are really hurt so many people (lol) I've made some amendments.

I've changed the title to
"[quick guide] If you want to use a Voice Chat..."

Added
"What you need to do if you are willing to use a Voice Chat."

And then
"edit: or configure your "Voice Capture Threshold""
as an alternative to using a Push2Talk

Deleted some stuff like
"Let's make this game easier to each other. Forget about typing in the middle of a fight. Let's use a Voice Chat."
for being to "critical"

Any more suggestions?

valorik
10-10-2009, 01:59 PM
used voice for a very short period of time, before I realized that wearing a headset for a long period of time would give me severe headaches, I do just fine without voice, typing at about 70 wpm.

It's not a requirement to be a good player, I doubt many who've played with me would call me a bad player becasue I don't use voice.

RTN
10-10-2009, 02:07 PM
You really need to be able to at least hear. If I saw someone w/o chat enabled, I'd ask them to enable. If they didn't, I'd boot as a leader. At the very least, they have to be able to hear instructions.

Talking is more efficient and faster than typing in a game. If you're typing, unless you have a very specialized setup, there are simply things you can't do at the same time in a game. In addition, there is no glancing back and forth between what's going on and what is typed in the chat window. I'm not saying you can't type and succeed in the game, but it is simply less efficient.

Durion
10-10-2009, 02:10 PM
Easy fix, I use a Logitech (cheap) headset from Wal-Mart. I use the hands-free option while I'm running in quest. If I fell a cough, sneeze, wheeze, whatever coming, or my wife or kids ask my something, the headset comes with a nifty little Mute Button about a foot down the cord. Press it and the mic is shut off. Problem solved. I think it ran me about $20.

Zodh
10-10-2009, 02:11 PM
It's not a requirement to be a good player
Nobody said it IS a requirement to be a good player.
It's just convenient... but not for all, as it seems

So why don't "y'all" just leave US alone, and we leave YOU alone.
All you need to do is stay away from tags like "VC ONLY".
So simple.

Talking is more efficient and faster than typing in a game. If you're typing, unless you have a very specialized setup, there are simply things you can't do at the same time in a game. In addition, there is no glancing back and forth between what's going on and what is typed in the chat window. I'm not saying you can't type and succeed in the game, but it is simply less efficient.

He shoots, he scores!
Another +1
Thank you for the contribution, man.

darkaria
10-10-2009, 02:53 PM
I have read this topic and find it interesting. For years MMOPRG's did not voice and it was fine. Now people think you have to have it. People have different reasons to not use voice.

They like to play music.
They may have tech issues with their mic and sound card interaction.
May not SPEAK the language or very well, yet know how to write/type the language.
There could be a lot of background noise from were they are at, and do not wish other to have to hear it.
Possibly a private conversation they do not wish others to hear as they group.

There is one other reason I can think of for those who think you MUST have voice should consider. The Hearing Impaired and the Deaf. Many times as well as not being able to hear or not hear very well, their speech is also affected by their disability.

Should these people not be welcome into groups do to a disability?

People have reasons not to use voice. Please respect their choice.

Zodh
10-10-2009, 03:17 PM
There are TOO FEW groups like "VC ONLY".
Don't say like it's 90%
On the contrary!

And with such "conservative" answers to this thread I don't think this amount would change drastically so that any of mentioned above would feel "severely unrespected and restricted"

Jeez, some of you sound like VC is kinda DEGRADATION, not a PROGRESSION -.-

Don't wanna use it? FINE, do NOT use it! What's the problem!
Opinions are too polar here.
I see no point of any further discussions.
Those who think VC is for the best would never persuade those who think it's not, and in reverse.

abull74
10-10-2009, 03:23 PM
I totally agree with the OP in that everyone should at least be able to HEAR. It just makes things ALOT easier when dealing with people that may be new to the game/quest. The action in this game is such that you just can't really type when things are going down.

Having voice on the other hand, I find that to be a "+", but not a MUST. I use VC, because I hate to type. And because, it is much easier/faster to get things done.

I don't require you to have a mic, but if you are running with me and you can't hear.....Well, you just get left behind. I will either boot ya after I notice you are not responding to voice, or you will leave because you have no idea where/what we are doing.

VC was built into the game to give it the feel of DnD. To add the comradery that you get from a PnP game and to make things easier in a fast action game. Use it, at least to hear the leader of the group, or miss out on a lot of good times and xp and loot and, often times, some great conversation.

I AM THE FPOON!!!

KillEveryone
10-10-2009, 03:30 PM
I have a mic/headset. I like to hear more than have to read. I'm not lazy, it is easiear to keep an eye on the health bars and listen than to read and keep an eye on health bars. I have checked conversation and some have lost a lot of red before. I am just uncomfortable with that. I take my responsibility to the group serious. I don't want to be the cause of a party wipe, then get banned for being a sucky player.

I have missed some of what was being typed during the play and have to go back sometime to catch up.

That is not to say that I only play with people that have mics.

Money does get tight and not everyone can get a mic but, it would be nice if people did use a headset more often.

BangsLiekWhoa
10-10-2009, 03:42 PM
VC makes the whole game easier. It is faster than typing too. IDC about how fast you can type...the rest of us have to then watch for your chats instead of just watching the action and making sure everything goes smoothly. Also, if you want to listen to music then just turn it down so you can hear voice too its quite simple. DDO is a party-based game, if you don't want to hear from/ talk to other players then just get a single player game or do stuff solo.

The worst is when people refuse to even listen to VC. When this happens, people invariably will run and screw something up for the whole group because they didn't hear the plan or advice of the people using VC. At the very least, have VC active so that you can hear the people with mics.

RTN
10-10-2009, 03:43 PM
May not SPEAK the language or very well, yet know how to write/type the language.
There could be a lot of background noise from were they are at, and do not wish other to have to hear it.
Possibly a private conversation they do not wish others to hear as they group.

There is one other reason I can think of for those who think you MUST have voice should consider. The Hearing Impaired and the Deaf. Many times as well as not being able to hear or not hear very well, their speech is also affected by their disability.

Should these people not be welcome into groups do to a disability?

People have reasons not to use voice. Please respect their choice.

Hearing impairment and non-English speaker would be about the only exceptions that I would make to "must have voice enabled." I'd also expect them to type this out so that we know and can adjust for it. I've had guildies that aren't native English speakers and sometimes have trouble understanding voice instructions, so we type it out for them. But we know about it and can compensate...and he's also a very good player. If we didn't know, then it would be a real problem.

As for background noise or other conversations going on, that's why push to talk is your friend. I would still expect you to have voice enabled so you can hear the rest of the party.

However, everyone has the right to not speak--it is less efficient, but that's your choice and so long as you can hear the voice of the rest of the party and you aren't leading, it's no big deal. However, if you won't even enable voice to listen, then you should make sure people know because you won't enjoy their groups and they won't enjoy your groups. That's fine, but you should be up front about it.

BangsLiekWhoa
10-10-2009, 03:45 PM
Also, this isn't like most MMOs, VC is built in. No Vent or TeamSpeak. Its already there and ready for your use as soon as you join a party.

adRyft
10-10-2009, 04:03 PM
I use push-to-talk with a mic and speakers. Of course, I have a nice pair of studio monitor headphones that I use to prevent the echo effect. ;)

In any team game, voice chat has the potential to take teamwork to the next tier of talent. You can make excuses for not using it all you want, and sometimes you might legitimately not be able to use it, but if you can you should at least keep it enabled to hear what other people are saying, even if you keep quiet.

There is a reason the pro level talent in any competitive game use voice chat when teaming against something. You can't type while hacking, and it is hard to read text while slashing. This applies to every genre, really.

Anyone convinced that they are the hottest thing in the game is just deluding themselves if they don't use voice chat. At worst that person might be a good DPS machine who ends up being a liability to a party, eventually. At best they keep out of trouble, but never really shine for group strategy and tactics.

Phidius
10-10-2009, 04:07 PM
I frequently put "Must understand spoken English" in my LFMs - I'd put "USE" if people knew what it meant.

It's not because I think you are inferior if you don't speak English.
It's not because I think you are worthless if you prefer to type.
It's not because I think I'm better than anyone else...

When I use that phrase in my LFMs, it's because I've had too many occasions where someone was unable to understand my repeated instructions to stop doing something that was making it harder for everyone else.

It's not about you - it's about MY inability to communicate to you in any way other than pushing a single button during frantic moments to convey information to the team.

If you join my LFM in this scenario, and do not respond to my verbal test, I'll boot you in a heartbeat.

JStone
10-10-2009, 04:37 PM
i play a rogue and i must say VC is very helpful

"TRAP"

"FOUND IT"

"DISARMED"

or better yet

"acck i got aggro"
"kill it quick quick"

Minor_Threat
10-10-2009, 04:38 PM
OP.

Maybe the conflicts you have with people not using VC arise from the fact that people have squelched you. Seems logical with your anonymous and abrasive presence here.

CE2JRH123
10-10-2009, 08:25 PM
I've had a bit of sound trouble previously.

I have everything but events sound (combat or whatever it's called), DM speech, and voice chat turned off.

DM speech is at 0.03, Combat at 0.1, and Voice Chat at 1.00.

I always play with headphones in; my 3 year old laptops speakers don't work, and I don't have external speakers. Computer volume is usually at 40%

Frequently this leaves me with a situation where I can hear combat fine, the DM is yelling in my ear, and voice chat is completely impossible to hear. Why is this? I tried turning DM speech to 0.02 and 0.01; but then I can't hear him. Feels like there is a huge jump right there.

I've only had one group where I could hear the person's voice chat. 40+ where I couldn't, or I couldn't make anything past "murmer murmer gurgle kobold."

What is the problem? My ancient soundcard? Crummy headphones? The fried laptop speakers?

Braegan
10-11-2009, 12:02 AM
Voice Chat needed, no. But damn if it doesn't make things run smoother and alot more of the fun runs were where folks used voice instead of type.

I play with the mic and speakers like I have since a few months after launch and 99% it's no problem with echo. Just don't talk over each other and it doesn't happen :)

KillEveryone
10-11-2009, 01:29 AM
I've had a bit of sound trouble previously.

I have everything but events sound (combat or whatever it's called), DM speech, and voice chat turned off.

DM speech is at 0.03, Combat at 0.1, and Voice Chat at 1.00.

I always play with headphones in; my 3 year old laptops speakers don't work, and I don't have external speakers. Computer volume is usually at 40%

Frequently this leaves me with a situation where I can hear combat fine, the DM is yelling in my ear, and voice chat is completely impossible to hear. Why is this? I tried turning DM speech to 0.02 and 0.01; but then I can't hear him. Feels like there is a huge jump right there.

I've only had one group where I could hear the person's voice chat. 40+ where I couldn't, or I couldn't make anything past "murmer murmer gurgle kobold."

What is the problem? My ancient soundcard? Crummy headphones? The fried laptop speakers?

Sometimes I have that problem. But I also noticed in a group, 1 person I could hear real well, 1 I could not unless I said huh and then they were clear, the rest were text. I think sometimes that the mic is just not correctly adjusted in front of their mouth. I think people hear me well...at leat I hope they do, I have heard my voice over their speakers before. My voice can be booming and caries real well.

Orratti
10-11-2009, 01:57 AM
Well for humors sake I'll add this. When typing I will type "group up" in the chat box. then while everyone is grouped up waiting for buffs I will type my instructions. After this whoever needed to cast any buffs instinctively does so since everyone has already been tricked into grouping up for it.

What if I sound like (forgive me Mike) Mike Tyson? How about Mickey Mouse? or more realistically like a 9yr old? Sometimes using voice chat could be a disadvantage from either everyone in party giggling everytime you talk and throwing them off their game or thinking "Oh no this kid is going to competely not know how to play and ruin the quest." I usually like groups that don't talk even don't type. They seem to instinctively know how to change tactics quickly depending on how the other players are playing. Its like being in a special forces group where everything is communicated by hand signals. It won't work for raids unless everyone has ran that one a million times but like I said in my other post the only one who needs a mic is the leader.

Sometimes people other than the leader having a mic is really irritating. Sometimes one of these other people will try to take over the leader's group or argue tactics with the leader or just throw mean comments around and bully or demean others. No big deal of course, after hearing a couple of those you just turn the sound off anyway. The only time typing is bad is when you are trying to type something funny or sarcastic and someone misinterprets you as trying to be serious. That is the only time I have ever had a problem with typing. Plus I need all the practice I can get.

Zodh
10-11-2009, 03:11 AM
I want to thank everyone for their contribution while I was asleep.
Seems like more and more people talk real things now.
I would like to point out this response I liked very much:

There is a reason the pro level talent in any competitive game use voice chat when teaming against something. You can't type while hacking, and it is hard to read text while slashing. This applies to every genre, really.

Anyone convinced that they are the hottest thing in the game is just deluding themselves if they don't use voice chat. At worst that person might be a good DPS machine who ends up being a liability to a party, eventually. At best they keep out of trouble, but never really shine for group strategy and tactics.

I've completely forgot to mention that as a wizard I use so many keyboard shortcuts (90% and I do not use UI mouse-clicking) that I don't have opportunity to TYPE something while in the middle of a fight.

And if you are "a good DPS machine", of course you can turn auto-attack on and type/read meanwhile.

Thank you for the thoughts, adRyft.

Right-mouse-click on the chat-tab-you-are-using, select "input text/Dungeon Master"
I hope this would help.

OP.
Maybe the conflicts you have with people not using VC arise from the fact that people have squelched you. Seems logical with your anonymous and abrasive presence here.
Believe me, I've never had ANY conflicts with ANY one in the party.
And why do you say that my presence here is "anonymous and abrasive"?
If anyone cares I play as a 6lvl Wizard on Ghallanda server, name "Xandraz"
Am I NOT anonymous now?
Yes, I am new to the game, I haven't run all quests for 100 times and I can't play like this:

I usually like groups that don't talk even don't type. They seem to instinctively know how to change tactics quickly depending on how the other players are playing. Its like being in a special forces group where everything is communicated by hand signals. It won't work for raids unless everyone has ran that one a million times but like I said in my other post the only one who needs a mic is the leader.

That is why VC is so important for me.

Of course Wizard is not my first character and I've done Korthos Island like 5 times with other experienced players who was just also rerolling their characters for some reason.
Our chatting was based on "where to go next" pattern.
Thus I know what are you talking about.

Uska
10-11-2009, 03:24 AM
I keep it on but for many reasons I can only listen most of the time and must type to express myself.

Orratti
10-11-2009, 04:02 AM
On an aside note alot of experienced players probably did roll up or reroll new characters when the new players joined. I did. It gives many of us a chance to vicariously play the part of someone who showed us the ropes or impressed us when we first started playing. There have been new players joining DDO all along the 3+ years it has been around but the huge increase of new players lately has been a little overwhelming as some of the "advice" threads tend to show. When I was running my very low level monk through Water Works on elite with some new folks I was doing my little bit of vicarious living handling most of the mobs practically alone and picking up soulstones and saving the party like a true hero when I got smacked by a lightning bolt or two or something pretty harsh I can't remember and one of the guys in the group said "I can't believe it, he died!". That just puts a smile on your face. If you have ran with someone who seemed like they were some kind of super hero and must have some great item or ability that you don't have chances are that what that person has that you don't is alot of experience running that quest and could do it in their sleep.

I am loving doing quests with you new players. The number of times I have heard "That was awesome! Great run thanks for bringing me along" makes me very happy to have you guys here. I don't throw a bunch of help or advice out there, kinda worried about the ddo store, I've turned off general chat except to peek in a little and turn it back off but as for questing I couldn't be happier. I hope you enjoy running with long time players as much as some of us enjoy running with you.

woundead85
10-11-2009, 04:45 AM
Good post, OP.
I might get confused a bit, I see 2006 subs in New Players' forum flaming a new player on getting good initiative. If you're not looking for new-player advice and not giving anything useful get the @#$% away from here!
Now, the VC thing. Voice chat is great. I do not expect people in my group to have mics, but I do expect them to hear me if I'm saying something, especially when there are new players present. I do use chat too, but mostly guild chat with party chat visible.
For example, I can give you 4 new players in Gwylan's Stand. Everyone are better off if they hear when I tell them there are traps incoming.
Also, I enjoy listening music, but in this game no-ears is very impairing. Maybe when I'm running slayers solo.

Zodh
10-11-2009, 04:29 PM
I hope you enjoy running with long time players as much as some of us enjoy running with you.
As a new player I sure do enjoy, thank you :)

Okeeey, seems like we've divided into three factions:
1) VC is a must, no chat at all [minority]
2) Chat is a must, no VC at all [minority]
3) VC is not necessary but we expect you to hear others. [majority]

Don't forget, that this thread is kinda guide, so if you want to add something to the first post, pour it out :)

Sirea
10-11-2009, 04:51 PM
Wow, so many people jumping down the OP's throat for trying to be helpful o.O

Mercules
10-12-2009, 08:55 AM
i guess they can be lucky they dont can group with you ;)

I find your last statement ironic. In any case I can't imagine anyone does not have a soundcard on a modern computer that can run DDO. I have a hard time finding a motherboard WITHOUT onboard sound. Aside from that when you plug in a USB headset you end up using the drivers for that, and not your soundcard.

"TRAP"

"FOUND IT"

"DISARMED"

or better yet

"acck i got aggro"
"kill it quick quick"

I agree. It is much faster to hit a key and announce, "Trap!" when someone is about to step in one(Because let's be honest, how often am I at the very front of the group as the Rogue?). Yes I know all us Vets have a fairly good idea where the traps are in any given quest, but even then if we haven't done it in a year we forget and there is a ton of new people who have no idea they are about to step in the poo.

I can whip /stop out fairly quick but it means letting go of my mouse which is not always a good idea. Then again, if you are staring straight ahead are you going to see the icon over my head or the chat message? If you are listening to music are you getting the "Ding" of an incoming chat message in the party chat window?

Voice Chat is handy. Every MMO I have played we have used some form of Voice Chat. DDO was just one of the first to have it built in.

whysper
10-12-2009, 11:24 AM
Wow, so many people jumping down the OP's throat for trying to be helpful o.O

Keep in mind the OP is much better after the edits. No qualms with it now.

miceelf88
10-12-2009, 11:35 AM
I prefer voice chat. But if people don't have voice chat, not a huge deal most of the time. I WILL say that when one has healing duties or buffing, or something, and is focused on keeping people up, it's difficult to ALSO track party text chat. Voice chat becomes more important in raids or complicated higher level quests when timing and active strategy are important. Glass is correct- in such situations, it's often necessary to type VERY quickly, if one doesn't voice chat.

An additional hint if people ARE using voice chat, then, when you say "heal me" or "fire resist please", it's MUCH easier for the buffer/healer if you identify yourself. e.g., "Ragnar needs a heal" or "Regga needs fire resistance"

ghettoGenius
10-12-2009, 11:36 AM
I resisted getting a headset for years but finally broke down last year. Theres a reason they made voice chat integrated into the game .. because communication is good. And face it .. talking into a mic is much easier than typing it no matter how fast you type. I assigned push to talk to F and i can move and talk without skipping a beat. Works wonders as a rogue or group leader and especially when learning new quests. I recommend new players use it as they will have a lot of questions to ask. My wife thinks Im a dork tho for using one lol.

At the very least have voice chat enabled and be able to hear others. Failure to do so is just asking for trouble.

ghettoGenius
10-12-2009, 11:39 AM
An additional hint if people ARE using voice chat, then, when you say "heal me" or "fire resist please", it's MUCH easier for the buffer/healer if you identify yourself. e.g., "Ragnar needs a heal" or "Regga needs fire resistance"

This is one case where typing can trump VC. Being able to see the "-6 lvls" in green text is much easier than trying "see" who was asking or recognize a voice. A good player is versatile and will know the benefit of both vc and typing.

foxx
10-12-2009, 11:44 AM
[QUOTE=GlassCannon;2475462]Those that prefer it, will not use a headset.

If you are going to do what I do, do it as well as I do it, or don't do it at all.

IN FACT!!! - I prefer groups that use no voice chat, so I can jam out to music while I play, and move tactically. Actions are my preferred language.

QUOTE]

HEH heh well for one clerics don't usuly read chat, too busy wathcing bars.
I lead alot and have gotten used to reading the chat, but sometimes to busy watcing agro and bars as well.

we tend to stay in guild and the chatter is alot like kicking it at the bar, multitasking and talking to friends.
funny how when we do pug out, it's almost always some one we know, so things tend to stay friendly, when it's someone/s we don't know, talk allmost ceases unless we have a good convo going.
quiet runs pretty boring.

whysper
10-12-2009, 11:48 AM
Yeah, it is strange how many people continuously chatting with guild in text or over Ventrilo have problems reading the party chat because it distracts from healing/whatever ;)

No, seriously, use voice chat if you can.

Mercules
10-12-2009, 11:50 AM
Those that prefer it, will not use a headset.

HEH heh well for one clerics don't usuly read chat, too busy wathcing bars.
I lead alot and have gotten used to reading the chat, but sometimes to busy watcing agro and bars as well.

we tend to stay in guild and the chatter is alot like kicking it at the bar, multitasking and talking to friends.
funny how when we do pug out, it's almost always some one we know, so things tend to stay friendly, when it's someone/s we don't know, talk allmost ceases unless we have a good convo going.
quiet runs pretty boring.

...and, being in Foxx's guild I quickly realized the benefit of Foxx speaking over Foxx typing. I can sometimes figure out what he is talking about and rarely if every decipher that thing he calls typing. :p Sometimes I am just sitting there looking at the Guild Chat trying to figure out if it was a typo or some sort of bizarre shorthand for something I should know.

foxx
10-12-2009, 11:55 AM
...and, being in Foxx's guild I quickly realized the benefit of Foxx speaking over Foxx typing. I can sometimes figure out what he is talking about and rarely if every decipher that thing he calls typing. :p Sometimes I am just sitting there looking at the Guild Chat trying to figure out if it was a typo or some sort of bizarre shorthand for something I should know.

OUCH. +1 REP to the hurtfull truth.

foxx
10-12-2009, 12:00 PM
used voice for a very short period of time, before I realized that wearing a headset for a long period of time would give me severe headaches, I do just fine without voice, typing at about 70 wpm.

It's not a requirement to be a good player, I doubt many who've played with me would call me a bad player becasue I don't use voice.

speaker on all the time ?

Visty
10-12-2009, 12:07 PM
Aside from that when you plug in a USB headset you end up using the drivers for that, and not your soundcard.

and what is if you have no more usb slot free?
mouse, keyboard, printer, webcam, external hdd, dancing christmas tree, etc

lots of useful stuff to plug into there

Mercules
10-12-2009, 12:55 PM
and what is if you have no more usb slot free?
mouse, keyboard, printer, webcam, external hdd, dancing christmas tree, etc

lots of useful stuff to plug into there

Store -> Buy USB hub -> unplug one device and plug into hub -> Repeat as needed with coffee cup warmer, fan, desk lamp and other extranious items that won't get messed up going through the hub(actually very little has issues with hubs these days).

Seriously? Money is the main reason to not have functional sound. IE, I can't afford a new headset and the cat chewed on the old one. Windows stopped displaying the sound options and I am not knowledgeable enough to fix Windows and can't take it to the shop. I was actually too cheap to buy a motherboard with onboard sound or a sound card. Speaking of which I am saving up money for a new headset, my kitten(actual cat) and kitten(fiance) have pretty much messed up my current one either by playing with the cord or stepping on it when I didn't have it put away perfectly(ok so at 2 AM I might not have set it in such a manner no cord was out where it could be damaged).

The money problem can be resolved with time and not spending it. Don't buy lunch, buy stuff to make lunch because normally you can buy and make several lunches for the price of one lunch.

Or, just go on typing and not hearing us, but understand when we share a quick conference in Voice Chat and then just tell you what the group decided without your input. :)

Strakeln
10-12-2009, 01:00 PM
A few things to remember:

1) Just because you have voice chat does not mean you can forgo reading party chat.

2) Reading what someone typed out loud (and into the mic) makes you sound really, really, REALLY dumb. Don't do it unless that's the image you're cultivating.

3) The fact that you have a mic does not mean you should use it. Waaaay too many people around here have diarrhea of the mouth. If it isn't related to the quest at hand, don't say it. I come here to play a game, not to listen to your ridiculously boring drivel. Your stupid chat about Baywatch or how uber your toon is should be reserved for runs with your guild or your friends. I'm neither. Shut up or be squelched.

Mercules
10-12-2009, 01:11 PM
A few things to remember:

1) Just because you have voice chat does not mean you can forgo reading party chat.

2) Reading what someone typed out loud (and into the mic) makes you sound really, really, REALLY dumb. Don't do it unless that's the image you're cultivating.

3) The fact that you have a mic does not mean you should use it. Waaaay too many people around here have diarrhea of the mouth. If it isn't related to the quest at hand, don't say it. I come here to play a game, not to listen to your ridiculously boring drivel. Your stupid chat about Baywatch or how uber your toon is should be reserved for runs with your guild or your friends. I'm neither. Shut up or be squelched.

Ah... actually very good points. Quantity rarely equals Quality in anything. I also could care less about the color of vomit your cat just spewed on the floor... it is enough to know you will be AFK for a few minutes because your cat was ill. I could care less about how stoned you were last night, or especially are right now. Then again knowing you are stoned right now allows me the chance to exit and reform the group sans you. :) Maybe I do want to know that.

Zodh
10-12-2009, 05:37 PM
And once again: thank you all for the contribution - I've added 5th point to the 1st post:

5) Learn to use it properly.
a) TEST it once again: there are too many people that have unadjusted mics [you either can't hear them or they're too loud and that hurts ears]
b) Speak DISTINCTLY: there are players from all over the world, not everyone can understand your fluent speech.
Remark: I've heard so many beautiful and distinct voices so far. THANK YOU.
c) Don't talk RUBBISH: if you feel that you are the only one talking [usually off-topic], more likely no one wants to hear [=maintain the conversation] anything that does NOT concern current quest/game/etc.
You would probably hear back dull responds like "wow", "kewl", "gz" and rarely "$TFU already" because they are too polite.

Zodh
10-18-2009, 03:06 AM
UP :cool:

Horrorscope
10-18-2009, 10:35 AM
Still good advice on how to setup VC. I love it, the best groups I've been on used it, the best groups are the one's with some good characters (the real person). You will never simulate that with chat.

Most of the groups I've played with was leader only talk, still ok, but a bit dry, but imo that puts too much on the leader. The leader already took the time to get a team where many are too shy and unwillingly to do, they want someone to do all the little things for them. Then they have to carry the whole conversation, imo too many just wanting others to do the work and this lends to many not wanting to start a group. This is an issue overall in all mmo's.

When you get a chatty group, imo that is as good as this game gets and when this game is on, it's as good as any mmo made.

Also a lot of quick VC detractors want to bring up "hearing the 12 year old scream obscenities", I have never once seen that in this game. I may be in a PUG that isn't all that skilled or experienced, but I still don't think I've ever been on a idiotic/abusive team yet and if I were the %'s were so low, you just go find another, I don't overstate one bad experience and freak out. DnD brings in a bit different crowd.

What I like about the OP's details is about setup and adjustment. The system allows you to hear yourself, take 5 and balance it all out. Too many come in too low or too loud, when you sound good on your end to yourself, there is a very solid chance you will sound good to others.

Chat is still needed on those teams where it's pretty much leader only talk. That said I don't recall the leaders every saying "I'm the only one that is allowed to talk", I bet dollars to donuts that leader is hoping others would pipe in and bring more to the grouping experience, so they don't have to carry the show and knowing well that it really adds to the game.

dunklezhan
10-18-2009, 10:39 AM
Well, personally, I much prefer to use the chat window than VC - and there are several reasons for this:

1. I have a young son. He sleeps in the next room, and I'm only going to be playing after he goes to bed. He can sleep through all the sound effects in the world, but actual speech, especially dad or mum's speech, wakes him right up. I think the 'GM voice' has woken him a couple of times when I've forgotten to keep the sound volume low.
2. If I put a headset on, I can't hear when the aforementioned little one wakes up. This leads to a distressed little one who takes longer to settle back down as a result of being left.
3. I cannot for the life of me get the mic & speakers I own to work together effectively without horrible feedback - this is a hardware issue I'm sure. I do know how to set these things up.
4. The game won't run on my laptop as its GFX spec is too low. Otherwise I could just play in the living room on the laptop which has a beautifully balanced mic/speaker configuration
5. As you can tell, I have multiple bits of kit. Its not money stopping me buying the right gear - but I'm certainly not going to buy kit to facilitate an approach to gaming I'm hardly ever going to use because of points 1 & 2 above.

However, bearing in mind the general feelings expressed in this thread, then I will make the following effort so as not to disappoint the hardcore gamers who clearly have very strong feelings about what is an 'acceptable' approach to playing this game.

A: if a group says 'VC only' then I won't inflict myself upon them.
B: If I am setting up a group, i will make a point of saying 'VC not available'.

And we'll have to see how it goes. Its a shame VC is considered such a necessity. Personally, I think if the chat system in DDO was a little better & more intuitive then it wouldn't be quite so crucial to fall back on VC, but it isn't, so I'll have to live with it and hope not to get blacklisted because of my apparently dark ages approach to gaming.

Horrorscope
10-18-2009, 10:56 AM
Well, personally, I much prefer to use the chat window than VC - and there are several reasons for this:

1. I have a young son. He sleeps in the next room, and I'm only going to be playing after he goes to bed. He can sleep through all the sound effects in the world, but actual speech, especially dad or mum's speech, wakes him right up. I think the 'GM voice' has woken him a couple of times when I've forgotten to keep the sound volume low.
2. If I put a headset on, I can't hear when the aforementioned little one wakes up. This leads to a distressed little one who takes longer to settle back down as a result of being left.
3. I cannot for the life of me get the mic & speakers I own to work together effectively without horrible feedback - this is a hardware issue I'm sure. I do know how to set these things up.
4. The game won't run on my laptop as its GFX spec is too low. Otherwise I could just play in the living room on the laptop which has a beautifully balanced mic/speaker configuration
5. As you can tell, I have multiple bits of kit. Its not money stopping me buying the right gear - but I'm certainly not going to buy kit to facilitate an approach to gaming I'm hardly ever going to use because of points 1 & 2 above.

However, bearing in mind the general feelings expressed in this thread, then I will make the following effort so as not to disappoint the hardcore gamers who clearly have very strong feelings about what is an 'acceptable' approach to playing this game.

A: if a group says 'VC only' then I won't inflict myself upon them.
B: If I am setting up a group, i will make a point of saying 'VC not available'.

And we'll have to see how it goes. Its a shame VC is considered such a necessity. Personally, I think if the chat system in DDO was a little better & more intuitive then it wouldn't be quite so crucial to fall back on VC, but it isn't, so I'll have to live with it and hope not to get blacklisted because of my apparently dark ages approach to gaming.

What I would ever sell is an idea and if that works or doesn't work for you that is fine.

You have your reasons, to me it's not about getting everyone on VC, it's about getting everyone on VC that honestly would really like to but have technical issues or reserved issues. Tech we can work with you, being shy or trying not to let others down, relax most have been there and understand, the water is warm, come on in.

In your case there are two things that can help, Technical: USB or Two RCA mini-jacks connectors? I personally feel USB's now work better because it is all software controlled and more consistent to tweak. Using the mini's means you are using a sound-card and there are several types so tweaking each can be different. Again software we are all in the same boat on how to tweak.

Not hearing others around you or others hearing you when using a headset and chatting. What I do in cases where this is an issue, I alter the headset so only one side is going into the ear. I leave the other open to hear my surroundings outside the game, but also by doing that I talk lower because I can hear myself. When I forget and I have both sides on my wife complains I'm too loud. We've all been there, blasting music in both ears and someone tries to hold a conversation with you, you are nearly screaming back at them, pretty humorous.

Not saying this works in your case, but what you write tells me you want to do the best you can with what you have around you. Thank you, no one should ever expect more.

Zodh
10-18-2009, 11:14 AM
Well, personally, I much prefer to use the chat window than VC - and there are several reasons for this...

1st reason is strong enough to NOT use VC. No questions here.
2nd reason: you can leave one ear-that-facing-the-direction-of-your-little-one opened
3rd and 4th - no comments

And we'll have to see how it goes. Its a shame VC is considered such a necessity.
I can say this one more time:

Don't say like it's 90%
On the contrary!

And, Horrorscope, thank you :)

dunklezhan
10-18-2009, 02:20 PM
Don't say like it's 90%
On the contrary!

When I said it was a shame it was a neccessity, I meant more that it was a shame that it was a being seen as a neccessity in order to join groups who are clearly just wanting to make the most of their time online - I think its quite likely that the VC only groups are quite focussed, know what they're doing, and are probably the least likely to be abusive or intolerant of inexperience. And I won't get to join in with them. That's a shame. I find it hard enough to meet new people in DDO because of the clunky text chat system it uses. In [another MMO that you can't mention here because it leads to immediate flamewar] I could at least RP my way into decent company. Here... its PuG and hope for the best (which is a shame, because as a pure 'game' I'm enjoying DDO far more than [another MMO that you can't mention here because it leads to immediate flamewar]).

dragnmoon
10-18-2009, 02:34 PM
I have no problem with people not using VC, As long as they understand that When I am using VC I am paying less attention to the Party Chat, So I hope you don't type something in there that I need to know right then. ;)

I have known a few that have had reasons, not to use VC, there can be many, just make sure you tell the group so they know to pay attention to the party chat if most of the group is using VC.

really the only time I use Party Chat more the VC is when the rest of the group is using party chat instead.

Lasica
10-18-2009, 03:41 PM
I don't and will not use voice chat. I don't mind if others use it as long as they can speak clearly and be understood. A lot of the time they can't.

Zodh
10-19-2009, 01:07 AM
I've been playing on Ghallanda for not too long but so far it's like:

► 45% who have at least headphones and can hear VC
► 20% who don't have VC and cannot hear it
► 5% have mic but no headset = echo -.-
► 30% who have VC
• 10% clear AND distinct speech
• 5% little hard to understand [maybe too fluent]
• 5% "sorry, but I can barely hear you"
• 5% "sorry, but I can hear like every your 2nd word"
• 5% "holy sh!t, that's too loud!" when sound is kinda "clipping" or whatever it is called

On Khyber I've waited for like 30min with "VC only" in LFG [for Harbor, lvl 3-5]
Maybe it was just a bad time... [I have +5 GMT]
That was only ONCE and I haven't played since then [2 days ago]

Does any1 have some more personal observations?

FluffyCalico
10-19-2009, 01:11 AM
And when your friendly cleric is watching health bars and not chat. Oops that neg level to death musta sucked :D

If blinking when you hear the ding new message is too distracting for a cleric I would prefer they were not a cleric to start with. None of my characters (including clerics) have any issue seeing health bars and chat.

FluffyCalico
10-19-2009, 01:15 AM

"TRAP"

"FOUND IT"

"DISARMED"

or better yet

"acck i got aggro"

"kill it quick quick"

1) Are you telling them there is a trap 20 ft behind them they ran through, or wanting them to tell you where it is?
2) Must be an xp run
3) Unless its elite I doubt they care
4) You aggro it you kill it
5) Is there anything other than reaver where you don't want to kill it quick?

http://worldofwarcraftbrasil.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/md-leroy-cat.jpg

Zodh
10-19-2009, 01:37 AM
If blinking when you hear the ding new message is too distracting for a cleric I would prefer they were not a cleric to start with.
Amen to that! This is SOOO annoying when people, whatever class they are, either do not listen to a VC or do not pay attention to these DINGs in a party chat :mad:
Best bet is just stay away from them: I'm tired of myself complaining :cool:

dkrypt
10-19-2009, 12:04 PM
I use a headset combined with speakers. I do not wear the headset on my ears (on my ears, it gives me headaches); instead I have it comfortably around my neck. I position the flexible mic in front of my mouth.

I use my speakers for sound. Of course I use push to talk so no one has to suffer feedback. Other people's voices come through on my speakers OK.

I get to enjoy my surround sound speakers, use a mic, and avoid headaches/earaches from having the headset on, all at the same time.

I tried using a clip-on mic but there was just no way to match the mic positioning, voice quality, and comfort of leaving a big old headset around my neck with the mic positioned just the right distance from my mouth.

My 2cp.

watmo2009
10-19-2009, 04:49 PM
I like the voice chat but so many people have horrible mics or more likely just don’t adjust the 'out of game' mic sensitivity so that they can hardly be heard.

I have had to turn all game effects and music down to almost nothing and crank up my speakers and still I see some names light up and green and hear nothing or next to it.

If you use voice chat take 5 minutes to set it up right. don’t just turn it on and expect its perfect.

Zodh
10-20-2009, 02:39 AM
I use a headset combined with speakers. I do not wear the headset on my ears (on my ears, it gives me headaches); instead I have it comfortably around my neck. I position the flexible mic in front of my mouth.

And MY headset hurts my ears because "clams" are too small.
That's why I do the same

instead I have it comfortably around my neck. I position the flexible mic in front of my mouth.

+ I use other headphones that covers my ears completely so they don't get hurt.

Of course I could buy a good headset in the first place, but it was too late when I've realized that they hurt so much.

I have had to turn all game effects and music down to almost nothing

As far as I know, everyone has to do it.
When I've run across VC for the first time I couldn't hear anything either and was told to "turn all sound effects down except for voice".
Now I tell the same thing to those who can't hear ME.
Maybe that's DDO's problem? o.O

PS: boosting my mic in Win settings makes it impossible to understand, but when all in-game sounds are down - I can hear myself perfectly clear (using "test" feature), and I've received almost no complaints concerning me sounding too bad.

QuantumFX
10-20-2009, 02:49 AM
OP: Some people play at odd hours and need to refrain from talking in voice chat to keep their spouses placated.

Anyway, i’ve found the following get’s the point across to the party when I’m playing my rogue…

(Party): [Party] ...................................... ____________..........
(Party): [Party] ..................................... /IT’S A TRAP!\.........
(Party): [Party] ................_,,,--~~~~~~~~--,_....\___ _______/.........
(Party): [Party] ..............,-‘::::::::::::::::::º‘-,...\/.................
(Party): [Party] .............,-‘:::::::::::::::::::::::o:‘-,.................
(Party): [Party] ...........,-‘::::::::::::::::::::::::::0‘-,.................
(Party): [Party] ..........,-‘::::::::::::::::,:::º::::::::::’;.......... .....
(Party): [Party] .........,-‘//::::::::::::::::::-,;;;;;;;;;;;;;\.............
(Party): [Party] ......../,-‘,’:::::::::::::::::‘-,;;;;;;;;;;;;|..............
(Party): [Party] ......./,’,-‘:::::::::::::::::_,-~~,_’-,;;;;;;;;|............
(Party): [Party] ....._/:,’:/::::::::::::_,-‘/:,-‘;’-‘’’’’~-,;;;;;;,’.........
(Party): [Party] ...,-‘/::::::,-‘’’:::,--‘’:||/,-‘-‘--‘’’__,’’’\;;;,-‘........
(Party): [Party] ...\:/,,:::_,-‘--,,_::\:\||//,-‘-‘x###::\\;;/................
(Party): [Party] ....\//---‘’’’:\#\::\::\:\\||:(O##º:://-‘’...................
(Party): [Party] ..../,’____::\‘-#\:\,::\:\\\:‘-,___,-‘,-`-,,.................
(Party): [Party] ....‘)::::’’’’--,,--,,,,,,¯\\::::--,,_’’-,,’’’¯:’-:’-,.......
(Party): [Party] .....)::::::,,:‘’’’~~~~’\:::::::’’’’’¯::,-‘:,/\..............
(Party): [Party] .....\,//|\\||://:::::::,’-,::::::::::,--‘’:,-‘\\............
(Party): [Party] .....\\’|\\\|/‘//:::_--,,:,|)’;:::::::,-‘’:,-‘:::\\,.........
(Party): [Party] ..../¯:|\|\:|/\::::----,:\/:|/::::,-‘’::,-‘::::::‘’-,,_......
(Party): [Party] ....|:::/‘’-(,::::::‘’’’’~,,,,,’’::,-‘’::,-‘:::::::::,-‘’’\\.
(Party): [Party] .,-‘:::|::‘’):::¯’’’’~-,::,--‘’’::,-‘’:::::::::,-‘:¯’’’’’-,_.
(Party): [Party] ./:::::’-,::|::::::_,,-‘’’’¯:,--‘’:::::::::::/:::::::’’-,::::
(Party): [Party] /:::::-,:¯’’’’’’’’’’’¯::_,,-~’’::::::::::::::|:::::::::::::::
(Party): [Party] :::::::¯’’~~~~~~’’’::::::::::::::::::|::::::::::: ::::::::::::

Zodh
10-20-2009, 02:56 AM
OP: Some people play at odd hours and need to refrain from talking in voice chat to keep their spouses placated.

Jeeez, whatEVER. I can perfectly understand that! I'm not forcing anyone to USE voice chat. I just want every new player to know that it DOES exist and how it can be PROPERLY configured!

AngryMog
10-20-2009, 09:21 AM
Voice chat's great with guildmates and so on, but I find that in most that start to use it I start to spend a lot of time typing or saying, "I can't hear you $name" whereupon $name improves for the next one or two sentences and then it's back to mumbleville.

Secondly, though it's only happened once so far, I said Hi on the voice chat and the group leader immediately started pestering me with 'r u a grl irl?' tells. And nagging for my Paladin to heal him.

Thirdly, and this is me rather than the other people, I find American voices really hard to tell apart, so I tend to spend a lot of time watching the party bars to see who's speaking.

The best teamwork tool they could add to the game would actually be maps you can draw on like in Guildwars.

Zodh
10-20-2009, 09:57 AM
Thirdly, and this is me rather than the other people, I find American voices really hard to tell apart, so I tend to spend a lot of time watching the party bars to see who's speaking.

Yeah, I feel you here. And if a sentence was too short to have a chance to look at the greenish bar, it goes like:
#1 - bla-bla-bla
#2 - who said that?
#1 - me, $name
#2 - ah, ok

Someone suggested already to add a name before saying something that needs distinction [or class if you are the only one with that class].
For example, "barb needs restoration", "wiz gonna shrine" and so on.

Also I hate freaky-hard-to-spell names.
My name is Xandraz and everyone calls me [Zan] - and I like that.

Elsbet
10-20-2009, 10:03 AM
My only real preference is that people at least enable voice chat so that they can hear what everyone else is saying. If they choose not to talk, that's okay by me. The only hitch is that when I'm on my clerics, I don't check party chat that much. I either have the combat log up or am not looking at all, so all those "strength damage" and "five neg levels" messages just scroll right on by.

I don't type much unless it is before or after the quest when a lot of side conversations are going on. In quests when things are happening, it's always voice and if someone misses the "group up for mass cures" or "haste on me," oh well... Not really my problem if they refuse to enable voice chat.

Oh, and I usually tell people that they have to call out their names if they are requesting something. This "I need..." stuff is for the birds. I can't tell who said something in a group unless it is a couple of people with distinctive voices.

AngryMog
10-20-2009, 10:44 AM
For example, "barb needs restoration", "wiz gonna shrine" and so on.

Elf is about to die!