PDA

View Full Version : The Land of Reincarnation

Tolero
10-09-2009, 01:37 PM
A reminder about the differences between Reincarnations:

- If you are lesser/greater reincarnating, you will find yourself on the boat at level 1 without your gear. Your gear is waiting for you in the ancestral bank back in Stormreach, and the trainer on the boat will help you to reassign your abilities/skills/etc back up to the same level you were before you lesser/greater reincarnated.
- True Reincarnation characters are the only form of reincarnation that will require you to actually re-level the character. Your belongings will be in your bank waiting for you, but you will begin with the Korthos experience (you may skip Korthos by speaking with Jeets or the first mate at the docks). You can only True Reincarnate if you are level 20.
- If you reincarnate more than once for testing purposes, remember to empty your reincarnation bank prior to reincarnating again. (is it just me or does "reincarnating again" sound redundant?)

Borror0
10-09-2009, 01:39 PM
(is it just me or does "reincarnating again" sound redundant?)
Well, it's still better than re-reincarnating. :p What about incarnating re-again?

Rav'n
10-09-2009, 04:08 PM
(is it just me or does "reincarnating again" sound VERY redundant?)

Fixed that for you Tolero!!

BLAKROC
10-09-2009, 04:11 PM
re re incarnating gave me a headache :D

Hambo
10-09-2009, 08:34 PM
How about "Redundication", a contraction of "redundant Reincarnation"? :D

GlassCannon
10-10-2009, 02:32 AM
Interesting, shall we invent a term for it?

Multiple Reincarnations seems a bit much to type.

At hazard of appearing ignorant, I'd propse that Bis (http://thesaurus.reference.com/browse/again)incarnation could work.

"(Guild): [Guild] This dude's been bisincarnated, rockin' on so far"

Then again, I only just discovered the particle in the Thesaurus... never heard it before.

Kistilan
10-10-2009, 06:37 AM
One Time: Reincarnation/Reincarnated

More than One Time: Ascension/Ascended

There ya go.

pjw
10-10-2009, 07:21 AM
You can only True Reincarnate if you are level 20.

This part seriously makes it a deal-breaker for me.

Is there really no other way????

I want to respec my Clr16/Ftr1 to Clr17...and I can't face the idea of levelling him to 20...then doing it all over again. Id could come at re-levelling NOW, though....

Kistilan
10-10-2009, 07:35 AM
This part seriously makes it a deal-breaker for me.

Is there really no other way????

I want to respec my Clr16/Ftr1 to Clr17...and I can't face the idea of levelling him to 20...then doing it all over again. Id could come at re-levelling NOW, though....

Maybe your Vetran Status can take away the first two of forty hours by starting your Reincarnate at level 4.

The grind to 20 isn't hard -- especially from 17. To make it to 17 should take a week or two tops of play 2-4 hours a night. You'll have all your endgame gear -- plan ahead and get a few more items ready for the mid levels and you'll be on your way.

Reincarnation is meant to restart a life at its end. Level 20 is currently the End. I'd do it now before the level cap is increased to say... 23 or 25. That would suck to Reincarnate then.

Indrn_Fretgoop
10-12-2009, 12:18 PM
lesser reincarnate to cleric 17 and then true when u get that last 3 lvls ;p

Thrudh
10-12-2009, 12:32 PM
The grind to 20 isn't hard -- especially from 17. To make it to 17 should take a week or two tops of play 2-4 hours a night. You'll have all your endgame gear -- plan ahead and get a few more items ready for the mid levels and you'll be on your way.

A week or two at 2-4 hours a night?

Emili
10-12-2009, 01:43 PM
... (is it just me or does "reincarnating again" sound redundant?)
I prefer to think of it as "second sequel."

Belwaar
10-12-2009, 01:51 PM
I prefer to think of it as "second sequel."

Wouldn't that make it a Trilogy? :D

Emili
10-12-2009, 02:06 PM
Wouldn't that make it a Trilogy? :D
The "Belwaar Battlehammer Trilogy?", one bloody could only imagine the empty ale casks ... and the hang-overs? 'et! :rolleyes:

moops
10-12-2009, 02:18 PM
How bout the 2nd coming?
;0-

pjw
10-12-2009, 07:32 PM
lesser reincarnate to cleric 17 and then true when u get that last 3 lvls ;p

Well, that would be the problem. It is NOT possible to Lesser Reincarnate (or even Greater) to Cleric 17. Currently, the only way to drop a ftr level is via TR (and I dont want to lose favour & tomes in return for 2 build points, a new optional feat and even slower levlling).

I would be happy if I still had to level (at a normal rate) from 1. Just don't ask me to grind to 20.

Someone else said it's easy, merely 2-4 hours a night for 2 weeks. I'd prefer to define easy as 1-2 hours for one night. Maybe even half an hour. Or even better, 5 mins. That's easy.

Quanefel
10-13-2009, 10:04 PM
Turbine always wins at "Corrupt-A-Wish". ^_^

Lorien_the_First_One
10-14-2009, 06:30 AM
Turbine always wins at "Corrupt-A-Wish". ^_^

They certainly did with this one.

Lesser is useful, greater is useful, but both left out alignment change for no obvious reason.

True is interesting for power gamers, but apparently by design, isn't a respec option.

A glaring hole is the respec option that many have asked for. People have asked for the ability to remove 1 or 2 levels they shouldn't taken (or took pre Turbine nerf bat) and they have asked for the ability to start at L1 again with no special bonuses or penalties beyond being able to keep their gear (ah, I remember good old Kargon endorsing that one maybe 2 years ago... I wonder how the old ham master is doing)

Borror0
10-14-2009, 07:01 AM
Lesser is useful, greater is useful, but both left out alignment change for no obvious reason.
No, it's not only obvious but also documented: it's harder so they left it out.

I agree that it should be there but to say that they left it out for no obvious reason is false.

A glaring hole is the respec option that many have asked for.
...and others have begged Turbine to leave as a hole!

VonBek
10-14-2009, 07:05 AM
they have asked for the ability to start at L1 again with no special bonuses or penalties beyond being able to keep their gear

Could we call that a "Rescue Reintarnation"?

Quanefel
10-14-2009, 07:31 AM
They certainly did with this one.

True is interesting for power gamers, but apparently by design, isn't a respec option.

A glaring hole is the respec option that many have asked for. People have asked for the ability to remove 1 or 2 levels they shouldn't taken (or took pre Turbine nerf bat) and they have asked for the ability to start at L1 again with no special bonuses or penalties beyond being able to keep their gear (ah, I remember good old Kargon endorsing that one maybe 2 years ago... I wonder how the old ham master is doing)

I agree. Although, I am looking at True Reincarnate and actually might use it myself. Not because any of my characters are broke but the bonuses they are giving us for using it is is quite tempting! Taller, 36 point build, and bonus special powers...not too bad. I am still looking at all that is involved before I fully decided to give it a shot.

What I am curious about is the number of times in quests resetting. If we are already taking a XP penalty as we level with it, having our number of times in quests not reset might pose a problem. Also, does it apply to slayer areas as well for a reset? That is alot of good XP going wasted if we are to level 2 more times with this.

As far as the alignment problem, maybe they have just an alignment respec lined up for the future like feat, AP and spell respec?

Arctigis
10-14-2009, 08:19 AM

I agree that it should be there but to say that they left it out for no obvious reason is false.

Do you have a pointer to this documentation please Borror0?
I can see obvious issues but, honestly, they seem really trivial to solve.

As a very casual player true resurrection holds absolutely no interest for me. What I was looking forward to was
a low impact way of tweaking existing characters (skills, alignment, dropping certain MC levels etc.).

FluffyCalico
10-14-2009, 09:13 AM

hate to say it but hes right. They did say that would be harder

Arctigis
10-14-2009, 09:24 AM
hate to say it but hes right. They did say that would be harder

Sure, I wasn't doubting the veracity of Borror0's statement. I'm just interested to see if the reasons as to why
it's considered harder have been given. To my mind, 'it's harder' isn't an adequate explanation as to why
it's not an option to change alignment. I understand they are not obliged to give explanations but it would
certainly help to placate some of us if a cogent reason could be given.

Borror0
10-14-2009, 11:42 AM
Of course, I do. (http://forums.ddo.com/showpost.php?p=2471105&postcount=15)

To my mind, 'it's harder' isn't an adequate explanation as to why it's not an option to change alignment.
"it's harder so we didn't do it" implies that they felt it was not rewarding enough to do or that the feature could not meet the deadline.

Both which are perfectly cromulent explanations to me.

Arctigis
10-14-2009, 04:08 PM
Of course, I do. (http://forums.ddo.com/showpost.php?p=2471105&postcount=15)

In my opinion of course, that explains nothing.

"it's harder so we didn't do it" implies that they felt it was not rewarding enough to do or that the feature could not meet the deadline.

Both which are perfectly cromulent explanations to me.

It implies no such thing. I'd just like an explanation of why it's harder because it seems trivial to me compared
to what they have achieved already.

pjw
10-14-2009, 08:01 PM

I'd be happoy with a modified TR that:

- gave no bonuses
- could be taken any time
- resulted in me starting at L1 again with NO XP penalty
- (edit) and I get to keep my tomes

This can not be hard.

Let's call it 'Superior Reincarnation'.

Borror0
10-14-2009, 08:16 PM
It implies no such thing.
No, it does. Well, unless you believe they are stupid and left something they felt was worth implementing for no good reason!

I'd just like an explanation of why it's harder because it seems trivial to me compared to what they have achieved already.
If you're unwilling to believe them, why would you do if they say the same thing twice with different words?

I'd be happoy with a modified TR that
I would rather see alignment respec being implemented independently of reincarnations, if the choice was left to me.

andreascott89
10-14-2009, 09:19 PM
Interesting, shall we invent a term for it?

Multiple Reincarnations seems a bit much to type.

How about Threeincarnate?

JS

Arctigis
10-15-2009, 04:19 AM
No, it does. Well, unless you believe they are stupid and left something they felt was worth implementing for no good reason!

No, it does not. All you have done is given *your* interpretation of what has been said. Show me where it says
*why* it is harder and I will shut up about it. Also, please do not attempt to indicate I have 'implied' something (
devs being stupid) where I have not.

I would rather see alignment respec being implemented independently of reincarnations, if the choice was left to me.

Good idea.

Borror0
10-15-2009, 05:41 AM
[...] please do not attempt to indicate I have 'implied' something (devs being stupid) where I have not.
No, you clearly did. Maybe you are unaware of what you typed meant but you clearly did imply that they were stupid.

You said that, "To my mind, 'it's harder' isn't an adequate explanation as to why it's not an option to change alignment." As I have told you before, saying that "It's harder", in the context, implies that they considered it but felt it was either not worth the time to code at the moment or that it did not make the deadline. If one says that " implies no such thing", then he [I]is assuming that the developers are stupid and do not base their decisions on logic.

Show me where it says *why* it is harder and I will shut up about it.
I doubt it. If you can't take their words for it the first time, why would you believe them the second time?

Steiner-Davion
10-15-2009, 09:11 AM
The grind to 20 isn't hard -- especially from 17. To make it to 17 should take a week or two tops of play 2-4 hours a night.

See that is the problem right there. This assumes you have enough free time to play 2-4 hours a night for 2 weeks straight. It totally rewards the power gamers and screws over the casual gamers.

WolfSpirit
10-15-2009, 03:44 PM
Email Submitted...

Kistilan
10-16-2009, 03:25 PM
See that is the problem right there. This assumes you have enough free time to play 2-4 hours a night for 2 weeks straight. It totally rewards the power gamers and screws over the casual gamers.

It seems thought that a casual gamer won't go, "Oh man.... this is absolutely ruined."

However, they might wish to change starting stats, skills, feats, etc -- enter Lesser/Greater Reincarnation.

True Reincarnation is for the player at endgame that really wishes they had done levelling differently but doesn't want to destroy the character, bound items, etc. It also can be for the casual gamer that just zergs xp and at the end is rewarded with the option to do a 34 or 36 point character.... and maybe later, maybe more... like PrCs.

pjw
10-16-2009, 10:44 PM
True Reincarnation is for the player at endgame that really wishes they had done levelling differently but doesn't want to destroy the character, bound items, etc.

No, that is what a recpec is for. And has already been stated by the developers, TR is NOT intended for respec.

winsom
10-18-2009, 05:58 AM
which types of Reincarnate allow me to re-pick where I assign my every-four-level ability score increases?

I'm going to assume the True does this, but I think it would be great if the others ones did too. More importantly, I think this point needs to be made clearer in the descriptions of each reincarnate.

I would prefer a list of "This Reincarnate Does This and Does Not do These options..." so the differences are very clear and everything is mentioned up front. Please no generalizations about these choices as people are going to be spending money on these options and need to make informed decisions.