PDA

View Full Version : Character Size and Reincarnation

Samadhi
10-08-2009, 01:28 PM
I do NOT want my character(s) to be larger if I do a true reincarnation. Please add the ability to opt out of this. If anything, I would choose to make more characters smaller. Thanks.

PS I'm sure many folks with small CPU screens would agree, even though that isn't the reason I want it specifically.

Asketes
10-08-2009, 01:30 PM
nvm i found the release notes

EinarMal
10-08-2009, 01:31 PM
Yeah I think it would be cool to choose smaller and larger, then you could get a teeny tiny hafling which would be awesome.

KaKa
10-08-2009, 01:45 PM
Why a size increase at all? Seems to much of a novelty and in the realm of pointlessness.

JayDubya
10-08-2009, 01:47 PM
It's a status thing - you're the tallest human/warforged/hafling/etc in the bunch

You're an elf, and you stand taller than your human companions, etc

If you group an exceptionally tall WF at level 20, and you know you're dealing with someone who spends all his spare time on DDO.

kingfisher
10-08-2009, 01:51 PM
ummmm.....a 'freind' of mine wanted me to ask if the increase is size applies to all parts for m...err his character?

Impaqt
10-08-2009, 01:52 PM
I think not only shoudl they get taller, they should get WIDER too! a 6' Tall 600lbs hafling woudl be awesome!

Zenako
10-08-2009, 01:54 PM
Well for those characters who rebuild themselves, to be better, faster, stronger, whatever, they also end up a bit bigger too. Have to make room for all those extra stats build points to fit....

Goldeneye
10-08-2009, 01:57 PM
I like my halfling the size he is.

Asketes
10-08-2009, 01:59 PM
just because you are "well endowed" doesn't mean the rest of us are happy with our size.

thanks for reminding us.. jerk

**hehe jk you know your awesome kry**

Impaqt
10-08-2009, 02:00 PM
ANd Warforged should get Borg like implants. Really make em stand out. Laser Beams attached to their head and all that..

WeaselKing
10-08-2009, 02:03 PM
Anybody do the math on how many times you need to repeat this on a character to get maxed on all base stats?

SimVerg
10-08-2009, 02:03 PM
ANd Warforged should get Borg like implants. Really make em stand out. Laser Beams attached to their head and all that..

Watch out, you might start a forum backlash (http://www.ddo.com/news/334-module-7-feature-preview-pimp-my-warforged).

Impaqt
10-08-2009, 02:05 PM
Anybody do the math on how many times you need to repeat this on a character to get maxed on all base stats?

Isnt the limit 2 True Res's?

WeaselKing
10-08-2009, 02:13 PM
Isnt the limit 2 True Res's?

Oh, I will look again.

Zenako
10-08-2009, 02:15 PM
The CURRENT limit appears to be two....

shinmade
10-08-2009, 02:16 PM
I refuse to throw away a set +3 tomes hellz no.

Impaqt
10-08-2009, 02:23 PM
I refuse to throw away a set +3 tomes hellz no.

Then dont true res.

HeavenlyCloud
10-08-2009, 02:25 PM
Pffft c'mon looking at a dwarf barbarian being the same size as the new tent in the marketplace is going to be awesome!

shinmade
10-08-2009, 02:25 PM
Then dont true res.

Im trying to find the breaking point that defines whether its worth it or not.

Baltire
10-08-2009, 02:26 PM
I like the idea of a bigger halfling.

Hopefully the size increase will reduce my negatives to intimidate :)

SimVerg
10-08-2009, 02:26 PM
Im trying to find the breaking point that defines whether its worth it or not.

Once you get but don't eat your full set of +4 tomes?

Quanefel
10-08-2009, 02:28 PM
Well for those characters who rebuild themselves, to be better, faster, stronger, whatever, they also end up a bit bigger too. Have to make room for all those extra stats build points to fit....

And now we will have a way to visually identify those who do, that is our silver lining.

Cedwin
10-08-2009, 02:30 PM
They said the limit to True reincarnations is 2, I wonder if you get bigger after each one? Sort of a way to identify who has gone to level 20 three times with one character. Which is sort of like prestige ranks in CoD.

Timjc86
10-08-2009, 02:33 PM
I do NOT want my character(s) to be larger if I do a true reincarnation. Please add the ability to opt out of this.

I agree. If you add the size increase, please at least make it optional.

Angelus_dead
10-08-2009, 02:35 PM
I do NOT want my character(s) to be larger if I do a true reincarnation. Please add the ability to opt out of this. If anything, I would choose to make more characters smaller.
Yeah, it doesn't make sense to have people get bigger like this.

If the devs want to do something involving changing character size, they could make temporary buffs that show you getting bigger (along the idea of Enlarge Person or Righteous Might)

Daim
10-08-2009, 02:35 PM
And now we will have a way to visually identify those who do, that is our silver lining.

You already get an icon next to your name, the size change should be optional.

BananaHat
10-08-2009, 02:37 PM
Hopefully they can add a checkbox like dragonmarks. Some people like the way they look but still want the benefits of something new.

As a side note, with bigger character models, maybe we will see the introduction of the spell "Enlarge person." If I recall, things not always scaling up properly was the limitation and the version the duegar use was special in that they just had a bigger separate model they turned into.

Quanefel
10-08-2009, 02:39 PM
You already get an icon next to your name, the size change should be optional.

Why hide the new size increase?

Daim
10-08-2009, 02:42 PM

Some people prefer their Halflings to be half-sized.

jakeelala
10-08-2009, 02:43 PM
this new True Reincarnation thing is a GRIND plus you lose your Tomes. You better find a way to make it very appealing to players if this is your idea of life extension for this game. Things like obligatory size change is only going discourage a certain amount of the population, thus negating some of the financial benefits you're hoping to realize, Turbine.

Make it optional, or do away with it.

Partisus
10-08-2009, 02:43 PM
Remember they haven't stated how much the increase would be. Could be juuuust enough to notice. Like an inch or two. Why don't we reserve judgement until we actually see it?

Kraak
10-08-2009, 02:44 PM
I think not only shoudl they get taller, they should get WIDER too! a 6' Tall 600lbs hafling woudl be awesome!

I thought those were Dorfs?

:D

Cedwin
10-08-2009, 02:45 PM
Why don't we reserve judgement until we actually see it?

This is a forum, everyone is supposed to assume and jump to every conclusion possible before actually seeing anything...

Timjc86
10-08-2009, 02:46 PM

Because many people have no desire for their characters to become any larger.

Impaqt
10-08-2009, 02:50 PM
Some people prefer their Halflings to be half-sized.

Half of 6' is 3'

Half of 200' is 100'

They are both still HALF, one isjust significantly taller than the other....

Beherit_Baphomar
10-08-2009, 03:10 PM

Warforged with frickin' lazer beams attached to their heads....

Zenako
10-08-2009, 03:18 PM
Warforged with frickin' lazer beams attached to their heads....

And chrome plated Roller Blades.... (ie Wheelie Boards of Striding +25%!)

Samadhi
10-08-2009, 03:36 PM
Hopefully the size increase will reduce my negatives to intimidate :)

Now that is an interesting sidenote.

spifflove
10-08-2009, 03:42 PM
I would actually like to see halfling sized wf. Why do they all have to be big? Maybe an enlarge clicky so 36 point builds can show off their uberness in the harbor.

Shaamis
10-08-2009, 03:57 PM
I like the idea of a 4'6" 200 lb dwarf turning into a 5'1" 250lb. Dwarven Monk!

All of the tavern in Stormreach better beware: 20% MORE drunken Dwarf will be Comin' at YA!

Samadhi
10-08-2009, 03:58 PM
The whole thing is kind of just annoying because I primarily play halflings BECAUSE they are small. So now I HAVE to grow if I want to True Reincarnate? Garbage. Lemme go gnome size ftw.

bjlinden
10-08-2009, 09:51 PM
I think I'm going to end up saying this in just about every thread, but remove the size increase from reincarnation, and add the ability to purchase larger and smaller characters from the store, just like hair dyes and other cosmetic options.

Samadhi
10-09-2009, 01:08 AM
I think I'm going to end up saying this in just about every thread, but remove the size increase from reincarnation, and add the ability to purchase larger and smaller characters from the store, just like hair dyes and other cosmetic options.

That is an interesting idea.

SableShadow
10-09-2009, 01:46 AM

Great idea.

Sharzade
10-09-2009, 02:26 AM

Rather than having to pay for the option, it might be nice to let players decide whether their True Reincarnated character should be smaller, original size, or a bit bigger. I'd like to save my coins for other stuff. :p

I also want my Halflings to stay small and cute. Their littleness is why I've been making them! If they could be even smaller I'd be thrilled. :D

Sharz
:)
;)

sirgog
10-09-2009, 03:54 AM
Yeah I think it would be cool to choose smaller and larger, then you could get a teeny tiny hafling which would be awesome.

A quarterling?

Noctus
10-09-2009, 04:34 PM
In the mega-Thread it was stated by Eladrin that the size increase was a purely visual thing, and that even twice-True-Reincarnated Humans wouldnt be taller than a normal Warforged.

This should be the benchmark of which you think before you damn these changes to your characters size. (Remember: Size, not size category)

Samadhi
10-09-2009, 04:54 PM
In the mega-Thread it was stated by Eladrin that the size increase was a purely visual thing, and that even twice-True-Reincarnated Humans wouldnt be taller than a normal Warforged.

This should be the benchmark of which you think before you damn these changes to your characters size. (Remember: Size, not size category)

But why should any size increase be MANDATORY.

Here's the thing. Quote from the announcement post: "Each True generation will also be physically larger than previous generations (you're welcome Halflings!)."
You can tell by the post, someone just thought this was a cool idea, so it got thrown in without consideration that people LIKE to play small characters, because obviously all us halfy's will be thankful. :P

If it is so small as to be unnoticeable - then why would it be included at all?? This makes it seem likely that there will be a noticeable increase, yes? Otherwise why spend any Dev time on it?

Myself, and others from some of the responses here and elsewhere, obviously like playing small characters. So therefore, why should my decision to make a change that will benefit my character in game (going to 34 then 36 build points), have a cosmetic effect on my toon? If I want to pick up power attack, should it also be required that my hair be orange? If I want to build a 32 point build, should I have a little flag on my party screen indicating how cool I am that I am 32 point and not a dirty 28 pointer? They did this once before with dragonmarks - and the end result - they made it optional for the dragonmarks to show on your character's face. The same consideration should be done here.

Seriously, this was an addition that just did not need to be made, or at the best made optional.

BlackSteel
10-09-2009, 08:58 PM
so if your halfling is 5% larger, and still much smaller than even a dwarf is that a big deal?

you're slightly taller than other halflings, but still much smaller than everything else.

If its not a drastic increase, I dont c the problem

Zuldar
10-09-2009, 10:19 PM
Here's a pic of my wf after the second true res

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x150/zuldar/Pimpedout.jpg

Orratti
10-09-2009, 10:48 PM
I said in the true rein thread and I believe that instead of a size increase the character should look more muscular and tougher and in female cases hotter and more well endowed or tougher and more muscular. What I'd want to see is different character graphics applied to each stage of reincarnation or at least a new set of graphics applied to all reincarnation. I don't want to see a dwarf size halfling, an elf size dwarf, a human size elf, a warforged size human and a giant size warforged. I want to see them all sprout muscles like the front of a Conan novel or look hot enought to make you drool on your keyboard.

Djeserit
10-09-2009, 11:55 PM
/signed

Couldn't agree more; I'd like to make all my WF rogues smaller. Little wee killer robot assassins is what I want. I hate being the biggest and blocking up the whole screen. I'm the biggest bald automaton in RL, so why would I want to be one in DDO?

dormetheus
10-10-2009, 12:58 AM
Here's a pic of my wf after the second true res

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x150/zuldar/Pimpedout.jpg

YES! Thank You! (p.s. where's the laser beam?)

Xanthain
10-10-2009, 01:01 AM
I dont agree with the mandatory size increase as well. I allso dont like the idea of just a size increase being the only option for reincarnation. What about a more options ? I mean i can come up with a few things off the top of my head that would have a reincarnated toon sticking out from the rest..

Some options i think should be looked at:

-no change at all
-Size: bigger or smaller
-Glowing eyes (pick your own color)
-Different Wf docent skins
-halo or horns
-Different skin colors (like silver Drow or blue humans)

Idk these are just a couple ideas that i can think of... makes me wonder why they have only one option (that you really have no choice in) and why if anything its a size increase.

dormetheus
10-10-2009, 01:17 AM
I thought the size increase would be a size category increase (functionally one size larger for the sake of intimidate, or some such), but a visual size increase is extra lame.

The whole purpose of rolling a halfling is to be short!

Roricon
10-10-2009, 01:30 AM
don't mind to get certain body part larger... if you know what i mean

Orratti
10-10-2009, 01:54 AM
Yeah like your teeth right?

GlassCannon
10-10-2009, 02:26 AM
I want my Halfling Monk to become even smaller, and wear a Diaper..

He is a Baby Puncher after all, might as well help him represent the Baby portion... ;)

I'd also like the option to mount various kitchen appliance skins to my Warforged characters' heads - namely a Cuisinart for Reconfigured Blender.

Samadhi
10-10-2009, 10:18 AM
I dont agree with the mandatory size increase as well. I allso dont like the idea of just a size increase being the only option for reincarnation. What about a more options ? I mean i can come up with a few things off the top of my head that would have a reincarnated toon sticking out from the rest..

Some options i think should be looked at:

-no change at all
-Size: bigger or smaller
-Glowing eyes (pick your own color)
-Different Wf docent skins
-halo or horns
-Different skin colors (like silver Drow or blue humans)

Idk these are just a couple ideas that i can think of... makes me wonder why they have only one option (that you really have no choice in) and why if anything its a size increase.

Now glowing eyes is something I would be all gung-ho for. However, if it was mandatory, I would still be against it. Options FTW.

whysper
10-10-2009, 10:30 AM
Strongly against any mandatory changes, but obviously they are now making the character scaling option available to PCs, so we may indeed see House Ghallanda's How To Gain 50 Pounds In A Week Cooking Books and other size variation items in the store.

Gornin
10-10-2009, 10:35 AM
Personally, the mandatory size change and name icon promotes segregation.

The size change should be optional for those whose ego needs the stroke, and the icon done away with period.

It is no ones business whether I chose to True Rein or not. The only thing that should matter is am I good player.

SableShadow
10-10-2009, 10:38 AM
Now glowing eyes is something I would be all gung-ho for. However, if it was mandatory, I would still be against it. Options FTW.

Agreed.

"They can have any color they want, as long as it's black." is a step backwards, not forwards. :p

Players have been asking for a lot of things over the years, but character customization is one thing that gets repeated again and again and again and again...

evilgardengnome
10-10-2009, 10:59 AM
Maybe the size increase is to see how a large character works in the current envirnoment. Think of this as the first test for a Druids wild shape ability.

Deriaz
10-10-2009, 11:23 AM

I would like this, to be honest. Even if the size stays in Reincarnation, allowing the size increases to be purchased just as a visual thing would be wonderful. I know I'd buy a few of the increase ones for my main character, so I can actually have his look match what I describe him as, role-play-wise. Same thing with my little 5 foot tall Warforged Rogue.

Seneca_Windforge
10-10-2009, 01:14 PM
Personally, the mandatory size change and name icon promotes segregation.

The size change should be optional for those whose ego needs the stroke, and the icon done away with period.

It is no ones business whether I chose to True Rein or not. The only thing that should matter is am I good player.

Agreed.

whysper
10-10-2009, 01:37 PM
The only thing that should matter is am I good player.

...'Course, it is a lot easier to be a "good player" when you have tons of gear and a couple extra stat points. Not you, personally, but in general.

krud
10-10-2009, 02:22 PM
Why a size increase at all? Seems to much of a novelty and in the realm of pointlessness.
It's a subtle hint that after working your way back thru to level 20 from multiple TR that maybe you're outgrowing DDO.

Gornin
10-10-2009, 02:45 PM
...'Course, it is a lot easier to be a "good player" when you have tons of gear and a couple extra stat points. Not you, personally, but in general.

Yea, I get your drift, and I am sure you got mine.

It just seems to be epeen stuff with the size and icon.

"Look at me everyone. I am so uber that I was Reincarnated twice." /swagger

croger1520033
10-10-2009, 03:16 PM

I Want Sharks with Frickin Laser Beams Attached to their Heads. :)