PDA

View Full Version : Please explain: Confirming criticals

Thurok
10-08-2009, 05:02 AM
At level 1 a fighter gets an enhancement giving him +2 to confirming criticals. In my naivety I thought this meant his critical range increased by 2 on his weapon. So a weapon critting on a 20 only, after enhancement critted 18-20.

Much like Keen on a weapon, except keen would be better on some weapons, and the enhancement on others.

But I found out that I was wrong, so whats the deal with having to confirm a crit?

Junts
10-08-2009, 05:08 AM
Ok, what you thoguht it did is called threat range, and its modified by other stuff (much less often, critical range expansion is super powerful on ddo)

as for crit confirmation, it works like this:

You attack a mob ...

You roll a 19! Your weapon's threat range is 19-20, so this is a 'critical threat'. You are guaranteed to hit.

You are -not guaranteed bonus damage yet-.

You make a second roll against the mobs armor class with the same to-hit as that attack had. (eg, if it was +15, so is this .. crit confirmation bonuses apply here too, so a +6 confirmation bonus makes this 21).

If that roll + bonus hits the foe's armor class, you do the bonus damage granted by your weapon's critical multiplier. If it does not hit the weapon's armor class, you -simply deal normal, full damage-.

This means that you need to be able to hit the mob reliably for critical hits to equate to bonus damage.. otherwise they just equate to guaranteed hits (a mob could have 50 more ac than you have to hit, and your threat rolls would always do normal damage .. but youd never confirm, so you'd never get 2x/3x bonuses, etc)

Many on-crit weapon effects do not function if you don't confirm, like vorpal and banishing and smiting.

This makes crit-hit functionality dependant on your actual abilities and not a purely random incident .. characters with superior to-hit will have better overall critical hits than those who are just getting lucky.

Oh, last, a crit confirmation roll does not auto-miss on 1 or auto-succeed on 20 the way that a to-hit roll does. So if you have enough to hit, you will always confirm.

ReaperAlexEU
10-08-2009, 05:19 AM
you are but young my padawan, but you are on the right path.

what your after is the lvl 18 kensai weapon mastery III which adds 1 to your threat range, which just happens to need that enhancement you picked up :)

if you have an axe then your crit range goes from 20 to 19-20 at lvl8 when you get improved crit. at lvl18 it then goes to 18-20 when you get the last part of kensai (or lvl19.1 in my case #mutters#).

Brennie
10-08-2009, 05:51 AM
You roll a 19! Your weapon's threat range is 19-20, so this is a 'critical threat'. You are guaranteed to hit.

...otherwise they just equate to guaranteed hits (a mob could have 50 more ac than you have to hit, and your threat rolls would always do normal damage .. but youd never confirm, so you'd never get 2x/3x bonuses, etc)

This is incorrect. If you roll within your crit range, you must still add your attack bonus and beat the target's AC. If, in your example, 19 + the characters attack bonus is less than enemy AC, you miss, with no possibility of critting.

It is only true that you auto-hit *and* roll a critical confirmation if your initial attack rolled a 20.

Otherwise a, 8 strength pure-class sorceror with improved critical:Slashing (or two keen weapons) dual weilding a kukri and scimitar would hit 6 out of 20 times, automatically, against every enemy in the game.

Junts
10-08-2009, 05:57 AM
This is incorrect. If you roll within your crit range, you must still add your attack bonus and beat the target's AC. If, in your example, 19 + the characters attack bonus is less than enemy AC, you miss, with no possibility of critting.

It is only true that you auto-hit *and* roll a critical confirmation if your initial attack rolled a 20.

Otherwise a, 8 strength pure-class sorceror with improved critical:Slashing (or two keen weapons) dual weilding a kukri and scimitar would hit 6 out of 20 times, automatically, against every enemy in the game.

Fair point, I omitted that step.