PDA

View Full Version : Feedback: Hireling Contracts Folders

Tolero
10-08-2009, 12:08 AM
Hireling Contracts Folders are now available for all your contract storage needs! These special containers come in multiple sizes and can hold contracts in stacks based on the size of the folder.

A small folder can hold up to two types of Hirelings in stacks of 3.
A medium folder can hold up to three types of Hirelings in stacks of 3.
A large folder can hold up to five types of Hirelings in stacks of 4.
A huge folder can hold up to eight types of Hirelings in stacks of 10.

When you're ready to use your hireling(s), pull out the contract from the folder and activate it. Once activated, a Hireling contract cannot be returned to the folder. You may move contracts in and out of the folder so long as they have not been activated. Contract folders are bound to character and able to be stored in your regular character bank. To purchase Hireling Contracts Folders visit the Gear & Equipment category of the DDO Store.

Tell us your feedback on the new contract folders!

The_Ick
10-08-2009, 01:06 PM
Anyone in game that can tell me how much these are?

tihocan
10-08-2009, 03:18 PM
To purchase Hireling Contracts Folders visit the Gear & Equipment category of the DDO Store.
Please add some way to get them in-game without being forced to use the store :rolleyes:

maddness018
10-08-2009, 06:41 PM
so once again you shaft casters buy not giving spell component bags ... but we can carry the useless contracts now? Get it together!

ToyVIP
10-08-2009, 07:13 PM
so once again you shaft casters buy not giving spell component bags ... but we can carry the useless contracts now? Get it together!

and scroll cases...

oberon131313
10-08-2009, 07:32 PM

once again, it's a huge technology difference. The hireling portfolio, I assume, you open up and select the one you want to cast, and then do so. The spell component bags will pull of our components out of our inventory, and the game doesn't know how to look for them when we go to cast a spell. The easiest feasible way is to make it like a quiver, but there the game only pulls the topmost item from the quiver and puts it in the arrow slot. Well, spells don't look in a specific slot, they look in the inventory, so we could have a spell component bag that just shunts the component we need into our inventory...which is what we currently have. They need to completely revamp the way spell components are used in order to give us spell bags.

I say all of this as someone with multiple casters, as well as a Spellsword (just imagine all the spell components + equipment in the form of weapons, etc!)

muffinlad
10-08-2009, 07:44 PM
Re- Contracts folder. Interesting, but I rarely have enough contracts for this to matter. I assume this is all part of he goal to get people to use MORE contracts, but in that case, I would cut it down to only the top two options, and keep the costs low.

Re- Why have you not offered spell component bags. I would say that more importantly, why have you not implemented Eschew Materials correctly, and make it a passive feat. Even if it only effected ingreds for levels 1-7, and you still made us pay for specials (stone skin) and levels 8 and 9, we are really just buying a feat to free up 7 or so spaces in a back pack.

muffinwiz

oberon131313
10-08-2009, 08:34 PM
Re- Why have you not offered spell component bags. I would say that more importantly, why have you not implemented Eschew Materials correctly, and make it a passive feat. Even if it only effected ingreds for levels 1-7, and you still made us pay for specials (stone skin) and levels 8 and 9, we are really just buying a feat to free up 7 or so spaces in a back pack.

what isn't working about it? Or do you want it to be free/without an extra spell cost?

thegreatcthulhu
10-09-2009, 01:50 AM
Cthulhu is disappointed with this, if he were to be... blunt, PALTRY change to the hireling feature of DDO.

I do not think this is a substantial enough incentive to use more hirelings, honestly. In the current form of the game, I do not see how very many players are purchasing more than 2-3 contracts at a time. But the fact that you are testing this folder feature now gives one pause as to consider the possible gains that could be made via exploring the hirelings and what more they could have to offer in DDO:EU. Thus we shall embark upon an essay to explore implementable, vast improvements to your game via said Hireling system.

To begin, the first thing that I would like to recall would be the introduction of the gold-level hirelings from the launch of DDO:EU. The gold hirelings are possibly more lucrative to a player and yourselves (as a revenue source), since you can have more than 1 in use at a time. But unfortunately I think the discouraging aspect of the gold hirelings is that they are overpriced in the turbine store. Hence, I do not believe that very many players have been using the gold hirelings in excess compared to the standard hirelings.

Turbine, if you truly do wish to make DDO:EU a F2P/Casual/Solo friendly MMORPG while still accommodating for the players that prefer the aging era of heavy commitment/time sink MMORPGs, I think you need to do more to increase the attractiveness of hirelings beyond just allowing someone to carry around more of them. As it stands, in order for hirelings to be an attractive alternative to investing the time in building up a cohesive team, as well as being a bountiful revenue source for you, Turbine, a player would have to view hirelings as:

A ) Being able to be used in vast amounts (the functionality of the gold hirelings)
B ) Costing only a nominal amount, relatively similar to the amount of time that would have been spent on finding actual human players to join their party
C ) Having the same capabilities as human players (albeit somewhat restricted by AI and equipment)

Feature C is not something that can be advised on how to best obtain via the scope of this essay. It is however still worth noting since it is a feature that which could easily give you, Turbine, a strong competitive advantage in the MMORPG market as far as superior game features.

As of now, the feature of A has been noted up above to not be a very strong. It ties in with B heavily since what greatly restricts the feature of A is the PRICE of the gold level hirelings. There are perhaps other, more innovative ways to craft a far more enjoyable situation for all parties than what I am about to list, but at the moment, I believe you could achieve the situations of A and B with the following plan. Whether they be the same or similar via implementation is completely at your discretion.

Hirelings Improvement Plan :
- Remove the purchase-able hirelings from the DDO store.
- Change the methods of the hireling folders so that they grant the following parameters:
1. Allow all hireling contracts stored within the folder to be used simultaneously.
2. The folders themselves have a duration of 30 days; after the duration ends, the folder cannot have any more contracts placed inside of it.

-- The player will of course, need to buy another folder.

3. The prices of the folders themselves could be relatively comparable to the currently over-inflated DDO store prices **(see bottom regarding the attribution of this statement) **. However, the price would have to be viewable as an amount worthy of a 30 day enhancement to one's own game play; thus the price in USD needs to be viewed, at most, as 1/4-1/6 of a full subscription fee.

-- Any more will be viewed as a subversive attempt to bully F2P users to buy a full subscription or ignore the feature due to feelings of price inflation/player exploitation. Any LESS might leave VIP customers getting further utility for the money they have spent on a subscription. Hence, the next parameter of the hirelings folders needs to be included:

4. VIPs should be able to enjoy an advantage pertaining to the hireling feature:
EITHER
*A 50-75% discount on the folders, this would include any possible discounts that VIPs would receive
*Or access to a large hireling folder on all of their characters, as long as they are actively VIPS.

As previously mentioned, there are other ingenuous ways to capitalize on the hirelings feature in DDO:EU. This is an area that takes special attention; it is one of the core features of DDO:EU that has the potential to attract more casual, single-player, closed-circle of friends oriented players into the game versus the 'socialite' type player. It is also of special interest though because it can give you, Turbine, insight into one of the forthcoming audiences that even yourselves have admitted to being interested: Console players.

Console MMORPG players are undoubtedly going to be more focused, than even PC gamers, towards the prospect of "finishing the game" in a small group or solo fashion at a much more casual/quicker gratification style than the old fashioned MMORPG players of yesterday. Eberron Unlimited presents you with an opportunity to experiment with that said play style / mind set. I myself am preparing to venture on this discussion in even further detail via your suggestion boards in the coming weeks.

But for now... I believe I have stated the possible advantage that which you could obtain via investing more thought into the hirelings system (and alluded to fact that the DDO store itself needs more consideration).

* NOTE: Your forums are an ample player feedback source regarding the pricing in the DDO store. There is an overwhelming notion amongst the players that the prices in the store are indeed over-priced. This sentiment is not based on your players alone. Other Free to Play MMORPG games that which offer in-game stores have lower price offerings than your own in-game-store, Turbine. Gravity Entertainment's own Ragnarok Online and Requiem: Memento Mori are one example of F2P services that offer interestingly cheaper offerings (as well as subscriber benefit plans). I would strongly advise that you make an effort to lower the prices of the DDO store significantly; the understandable rationale for offsetting the losses of subscription players is obvious, but if there is to be dissent amongst most players that the prices in the store are too HIGH, you will not have an offset... you could risk a net loss of revenue.

Visty
10-09-2009, 01:52 AM
what isn't working about it? Or do you want it to be free/without an extra spell cost?

yes

that is how it works in pnp
and it still costs a feat

Solmage
10-09-2009, 02:13 AM
Please add some way to get them in-game without being forced to use the store :rolleyes:

Meh. It's not exactly a must-have item. I'd much rather have hirelings un-nerfed so you can summon them when/if you actually need them, rather than artificially removing functionality from them to add "value" to store bought ones.

(Incidentally, all +1 and +2 weapons should no longer add +2 to hit and damage, just to one or the other, randomly, unless store bought .... :p)

Shamurai
10-09-2009, 08:14 AM
A question about in game vs DDO hirelings
~ I see the same names in the stores as I do in the game.. how do the ones bought with DDO points differ? becuase they in game ones are that expensive TBH .. what does using precious DDO points do for me?

Belwaar
10-09-2009, 03:10 PM
A question about in game vs DDO hirelings
~ I see the same names in the stores as I do in the game.. how do the ones bought with DDO points differ? becuase they in game ones are that expensive TBH .. what does using precious DDO points do for me?

From what I've seen, the ones you buy in the store are "Gold Seal" Contracts, and you can summon more than one to your part. I ran with 3 Gold Seal Hirelings initially when I made my first FvS, because I wanted to go pure battlecleric style and didn't take a heal spell, just buffs.

I'm pretty sure you can only have one hireling in the party at a time when you buy them in game.

Is this true? Can you buy the "Gold Seal" hirelings in game, say for more money?

The_Ick
10-09-2009, 03:45 PM

Aggreed... We should be able to earn these without going to the DDO Store...

jasonchrist
10-10-2009, 02:37 PM

Truth; this seems to be a simple fix. Why not?

MagicianBlade
10-11-2009, 10:17 AM
once again, it's a huge technology difference. The hireling portfolio, I assume, you open up and select the one you want to cast, and then do so. The spell component bags will pull of our components out of our inventory, and the game doesn't know how to look for them when we go to cast a spell. The easiest feasible way is to make it like a quiver, but there the game only pulls the topmost item from the quiver and puts it in the arrow slot. Well, spells don't look in a specific slot, they look in the inventory, so we could have a spell component bag that just shunts the component we need into our inventory...which is what we currently have. They need to completely revamp the way spell components are used in order to give us spell bags.

I say all of this as someone with multiple casters, as well as a Spellsword (just imagine all the spell components + equipment in the form of weapons, etc!)

It would require a single function to check if an object exists within your inventory, as well as within any bags inside your inventory. If that function is not already implemented, then someone has failed miserably on the coding side. Hell presumably the network client keeps track of your inventory, so it doesn't even need to be implemented on the server side, I'd guess. (if that's not the case, then it should be the case, the less the server has to do the better)

Quite frankly, I think the vast majority of us would find hireling contract bags completely and totally useless. I know for a fact that I would never use this. The hirelings are ********, you might as well login to a second account in another window, and play two characters at the same time .. but you'll be more active and less ******** doing it. Do people -actually- buy several hirelings at a time?

Chaosprism
10-11-2009, 10:47 AM
While we're talking hirelings:
I'm sure I read somewhere that hirelings had their CLW spell in their hotbar exchanged with some other spell, every hireling cleric i've summoned STILL has it.

The only hireling clerics that should have it in my opinion is the level 1 + level 2 clerics.

The clerics can autoheal however they like, but manual healing should always be with the BEST healing spell they have at their disposal. When I tell my hireling to HEAL I really do want their best effort, i'm probably in trouble ;)