PDA

View Full Version : noob questions (even more!)

DoofusBrains
10-06-2009, 07:54 AM
Hey you guys have been great at answering my questions so far. It has really helped me figure this game out! I am really enjoying it. It feels different than all the other MMOs I've played out there.

So I have 3 questions about shield bashing:
1) what does it do other than deliver 1d6 damage?
2) is it more or less useless (other than possibly using blunt to kill skeletons)?
3) does that make the Improved Shield Bash feat extremely useless?

OK questions about repairing items! I recently repaired some fancy +5% speed boots, and they took permanent damage after a repair job! I think it went from max 19 durability to max 18 durability. This makes me think, gosh, every piece of equipment I own will eventually break completely. This makes me sad, considering I got this crazy good Stick of Kobold Smiting (er that's not its real name, but you get the point).

4) Is there a way to prevent this permanent damage? I threw this one out to the Advice channel, and only one person responded with "if it's bound to your character". I know certain rewards bind to you, but that's all I know.

Annnnd feat resets
5) How often do I get them?
6) Where do I find this person in "house j", I believe it was?

On a side note, I can't do the arachnaphobia quest because I'm arachnaphobic. :( If the reward was +2 full plate, I might consider bug squashing. ;)
Seriously, you guys have been extremely helpful with all my questions, and I am enjoying the game more for it. Thanks a lot!

Memnir
10-06-2009, 08:03 AM
So I have 3 questions about shield bashing:
1) what does it do other than deliver 1d6 damage?
2) is it more or less useless (other than possibly using blunt to kill skeletons)?
3) does that make the Improved Shield Bash feat extremely useless?
1) That's about it. I think you retain your Shield Block DR at the same time, but the slow attack speed makes this a negligible benefit.
2) Yeah, it's useless - even for Skellies.
3)Yeah, Imp. S.B. is indeed extreamly useless.

4) Is there a way to prevent this permanent damage? I threw this one out to the Advice channel, and only one person responded with "if it's bound to your character". I know certain rewards bind to you, but that's all I know.
Yes. You can Bind an item to your character, and that prevents permanent repair damage. You do this with Khyber Dragonshards. Toss them and your item into the Stone of Change in the Marketplace - and it becomes bound. However, this isn't the best idea for low level gear you may want to trade off to other characters or sell. Usually, you outgrow lowbie gear before it can break 100%.

Also, some classes have an enhancement called Item Defense, and that helps reduce wear and tear on items.

Annnnd feat resets
5) How often do I get them?
6) Where do I find this person in "house j", I believe it was?
5)You get one free one. After that, you need a Sybaris Dragonshard and money. You can respec one feat every three days - with an increasing cost in terms of money and quality of Dragonshard going going up by level.
6)Fred is under the Garden of Respite in House J.

ReaperAlexEU
10-06-2009, 08:14 AM
shield bash:
sometimes its nice to shield block, you get a boost to DR which negates some of the physical damage your being hit with. it also prevents a lot of special attacks like a scorpions sting (when it loads up with the green acid effect).

as for bashing while blocking, nahh not much use for it. instead of the feat for the d6 damage, get a guard item instead :)

item damage:
the correct term is "bound and attuned". once an item is bound and attuned to you then it will never take perm dmg when you get it fixed. you do this by loading kyber shards into the stone of change in the market place along with your item. this is a no brainer for any item that is bound to character. its already bound to you so all you have to do is attune it too.

to be specific look up the minimum level of your item, then square it. thats the number of "Khyber Dragonshard Fragments" you need to attune it. or just pour in 1000 of the things and it will take what it needs and give you change.

feat respec:
the person, if you can call it as such, you want is fred who is indeed in house J. look for the large floating garden and then go under it. don't freak out, he wont attack...

it costs a lot of gold to respec, and you also need a dragon shard. i think you can get those off the store as they get silly hard to loot for the top end ones. for lower levels you might get lucky. check out this link for more details:

http://ddowiki.com/page/Fred

you have to wait 3 days after doing a feat respec to do another.

spiders:
time to face your fear, start out with that little quest, get used to the critters. there is how ever no worth while reward for doing the quest, unless your after that last point of favour to unlock something. however you will bump into more spiders, and you'll want to have your wits about you when you do cos some of them need to be faced. so practice on the baby ones :)

failing that just claim its RP and run the smeg away from every spider you see, being in an RP guild will make that a perfectly normal thing ;)

we got a warforged thats scared of critters, he tends to faint a lot too... :)

DoofusBrains
10-06-2009, 03:43 PM
I did the spider quest finally! I busted too many sarcophogi the first time through... oops. One of the little boogers snuck up behind me and made me jump! I killed it post-haste! 20 gold reward...
Your warforged "faints"? That's funny. A metal tank shouldn't be afraid of a little thing like that.
So, I tried to bind an item, but apparently there's a bug, and no req items cost 400 shards to bind! I read that on the forums. I hope they get this fixed but... maybe I will outgrow the stuff before it breaks. I am just overjoyed at having a +damage to kobold greatclub, considering everything is a kobold, and I'm set up for 2-handed fighting.
And what kind of D&D name is "Fred"? What's next, "Billy"? "Frank"? Frank Dragonkiller. ;)
Thanks!