PDA

View Full Version : On ranged weapons

Seventh
10-06-2009, 12:11 AM
I understand that focusing on ranged weapon use is a bad idea, but let's say that, theoretically, you wanted one anyway, maybe for firing off a few shots while waiting for the enemy to reach you, or to keep your caster busy when he runs out of SP. I've heard the repeating heavy crossbow isn't quite as bad as the rest of the ranged weapons. Is this true? If it is, why? And does bow strength apply to it?

Arnya
10-06-2009, 12:21 AM
I understand that focusing on ranged weapon use is a bad idea, but let's say that, theoretically, you wanted one anyway, maybe for firing off a few shots while waiting for the enemy to reach you, or to keep your caster busy when he runs out of SP. I've heard the repeating heavy crossbow isn't quite as bad as the rest of the ranged weapons. Is this true? If it is, why? And does bow strength apply to it?

Repeaters are better than bows for non-rangers.

This is because bow strength doesn't work on crossbows.

With the feat you can spam off 3 shots then a quick reload then 3 more shots.

Fighters can get quite good with repeaters due to all the feats they can burn, and you do see quite a few rogues and bards plinking them :)

As with any weapon selection, the weapons you have stashed in your bank will decide how much you can help with ranged suckage.

Get as many uber light or heavy repeaters as you can (not both) then build a character to use em, not the other way around :)

Seventh
10-06-2009, 01:21 AM
Alright, thanks. Seems like you'd need to invest in both exotic weapon prof. and rapid reload for that to work then, sounds like too much of an investment for most casters. Maybe a bard.

Arnya
10-06-2009, 01:22 AM
Alright, thanks. Seems like you'd need to invest in both exotic weapon prof. and rapid reload for that to work then, sounds like too much of an investment for most casters. Maybe a bard.

And quick draw and rapid shot :)

MissErres
10-06-2009, 01:24 AM

I'm not sure, but I don't believe rapid reload applies to repeaters. Could be wrong tho, it's been a long time since I deleted my HR user. :confused:

Brennie
10-06-2009, 03:23 AM
I'm not sure, but I don't believe rapid reload applies to repeaters. Could be wrong tho, it's been a long time since I deleted my HR user. :confused:

Rapid reload does affect repeaters, as does rapid shot.

Quickdraw, however, does not (Although it will help you swap in melee weapons faster... like that matters).

One of the main reasons ranged damage is so poor is it does not have anywhere near the same rate as melee. Melees can get often get 3 hits in in the time it takes to shoot one arrow. A *lot* more in the time it takes to fire a normal crossbow. Melees will still manage to get 4 or so shots in while you reload a repeater.