PDA

View Full Version : Fortitude Saves?

Urguwno
10-05-2009, 06:01 PM
I'm starting a Dark Elf Favored Soul and I'm hoping to leave CON at the base of 6 while taking the Toughness Feat and all of the Toughness Enhancements.

That should have this character swimming in hitpoints by 20th level, but I'm curious if there are really that many times a Fortitude check is required.

Can anyone think of any time in DDO when a Fortitude save was necessary?

Lorien_the_First_One
10-05-2009, 06:03 PM
Yup. Some instadeath spells, disease, and poison are the first things to come to mind.

Of course you can use deathward, disease immunity, and poison immunity items to help in those areas.

edit: oh good lord, I just caught the 6 con... that will not leave you swimming in HP, it will leave you short of hitpoints. You will squish to death often. 14 con if you intend to melee, 10-12 con MINIMUM if you don't intend to melee

MrCow
10-05-2009, 06:05 PM
Poison
Disease
Ghoul Touch
Wraith CON drain
Specter Level Drain
Wight Level Drain
Many stunning effects
Instant-death when you lack deathblock/deathward
Sunder/Improved Sunder
Hamstring/Severe Hamstring
Bewildering Blow
Horrid Wilting

It is among the least needed of the three saves though, being most of the cases where these effects occur are either relatively rare, evadable, or negated by equipment.

Urguwno
10-05-2009, 06:25 PM
Thank you both.

I just did the math and the difference between 6 CON and 12 CON is 60 hitpoints at level 20, so the many Toughness Enhancements just make up for that difference.
+Two levels of Racial Toughness (+20hp)
+Four levels of Favored Soul Toughness (+40hp)

I wouldn't raise a dark elf CON above 12 just because that starts getting expensive pointwise.