PDA

View Full Version : Noob looking for "most worth keeping" 28pt build for 1st toon

feldomatic
10-04-2009, 08:27 PM
I just activated to subscription, have been playing a few days.

Fairly experienced with other MMO's (wow/eve) and want to make the most out of this.

As I understand it, I've got to get 400 favor to unlock drow, 1750 to unlock the 32pt build.

I've played a paladin to lv 2; not sure I want to continue that path exactly.

My end-goal is to play one or multiple monks as my main; I love the class concept, played them in AO/EQ, just can't get enough of them.

So I'd like to pick a new toon to get to the 400 / 1750 as fast as possible; but wouldn't mind keepng them around after. So here's my questsions:

1) will WF give me any advantage over the regular 28pt other races?

2) can I go ahead and roll a 28pt monk now without really missing out?

3) what would you recommend in the way of a highly solable mostly melee 28pt build?

adRyft
10-04-2009, 09:32 PM
Highly soloable, mostly melee? 28 point build?

I'm currently having a blast with my dwarven combat cleric. I fully intend to keep the toon after I unlock drow.

rjedi
10-04-2009, 09:47 PM
Well i dont think i will spend the favor points on the 32 point build and those 4 could only help a little possibly maxing out another skill or just bringing some above 10
I am perfectly content with my Bard and Barbarian both with 28 point builds so...

Lorien_the_First_One
10-04-2009, 09:47 PM
Monks are kind of stat intensive, you will do a bit better if you wait for 32 point... but the difference isn't life and death, depends how much you care about "getting it perfect".

A really easy char to build 28 points that no one will ever know is 28 points is a Dwarf Barbarian. With only 2 main stats its easy, 18 STR, 18 CON, 2 other points into whatever you want, either WIS for will save or INT for skills. Very solid and survivable build, lots of fun to play. Either THF or TWF, depending on your preference.

It gets even more interesting if you want to go WF. That avoid fatigue after raging and adds a bunch of immunities (can't be held, poisoned, diseased, etc). Definately go THF Frenzied Bezerker on this build. This would be my first choice for you if you are willing to pick up WF.

The only down side in soloing a Barbarian is that you end up sucking back resources for healing. Cheapest approach is get adamantium armor for L1-8 and carry a shield, they will have trouble hitting you. Not all wizard/sorc hirelings have repair, but a cleric hireling can look after your healing needs just fine since they have unlimited SP.

Mistinarperadnacles
10-04-2009, 09:49 PM

Fairly experienced with other MMO's (wow/eve) and want to make the most out of this.

Hi, welcome. It's good you're familiar with MMOs but the D&D system is very complex compared to most and can require some in depth learning. Don't make guesses based on other MMOs as some common MMO concepts just do not work the same in DDO like tanking, ranged combat, pets and others.

As I understand it, I've got to get 400 favor to unlock drow, 1750 to unlock the 32pt build.

That's correct. Once you hit those, you'll unlock that reward on that server

Paladins most definitely benefit from being 32pt. You can make good 28pt ones though and the difference will be mainly down to your perception. Many people just don't feel that their 28pt characters are "being all they can be."

My end-goal is to play one or multiple monks as my main; I love the class concept, played them in AO/EQ, just can't get enough of them.

Monks are an advanced class requiring good knowledge and good active combat skills. EQ monks are heavily based on D&D PnP. As long as you understand the differences, you should do fine. They also have multiple stats they need to consider, so will also benefit more than other classes from 32pts. There's no reason a 28pt one will automatically be a poor build.

So I'd like to pick a new toon to get to the 400 / 1750 as fast as possible; but wouldn't mind keepng them around after. So here's my questsions:

Warforged advantages are great. No drowning, poison or disease, racial Con bonuses, racial toughness and innate damage reduction are all big pluses. All the races can make very powerful characters, but Warforged lend themselves to making very survivable spellcasters and melees.

Yes. With the right build and equipment, you'll only be +1 stat bonus (or +2 in some cases of low stats) behind. Which won't mean anything when you still hit things on a roll of 2 or better, or have 20 hitpoints less. Yes 32pt will be better undoubtedly and if you have multiple monks, you possibly won't play the 28pt as much. In your specific case, I'd probably wait for 32pts for my army of monks as it'll give you time to learn how things work in DDO too. You could always play a 28pt one and reroll him if you really feel that he is sub-par.

3) what would you recommend in the way of a highly solable mostly melee 28pt build?

Personally, I think a Ranger would be a good way to go. They can be self sufficient with their use of healing wands (n.b. NOT repair wands for WF) and they get ranged combat and two weapon feats for free. Plus they get Evasion at level 9 which is very powerful. Dwarf or Human would be my pick.

Warforged Sorcerers and Wizards are extremely soloable but aren't melee. Warforged melee choices for me would probably be Barbarian as they can amass huge hitpoint totals for survivability and dish out huge damage.

Have a good look around on the Character Builds forums for ideas and research. you will very likely have to adjust many of the builds there to account for 28pt and for lack of a bank full of tomes.

Highly specialsed deeply multiclassed builds are probably best avoided for a very first character.

Lorien_the_First_One
10-04-2009, 09:49 PM
Well i dont think i will spend the favor points on the 32 point build and those 4 could only help a little possibly maxing out another skill or just bringing some above 10
I am perfectly content with my Bard and Barbarian both with 28 point builds so...

You don't "spend" favor points to get 32 point builds. When you reach 1750 favor you simply GET 32 point builds on any new non-drow from that point forward.

And while you can 28 point a bard, a bard is a great example of a build that really does better as drow or even better, human 32 pt build. A good bard needs int, str, con, and chr, thats a lot of stats to fill out.

ReaperAlexEU
10-05-2009, 07:08 AM
couple if bits to add, along with unlocking (not buying as mentioned) 32 point builds at 1750 favour, every character that gets 1750 favour also gets its pick of a +2 tome!

to make a 32 point character you have to go down the customised route, and no you cant have a 32 point drow. drow are very much akin to a 32 point build with the extra 4 points pre-spent.

Zynthar
10-05-2009, 07:17 AM
Maybe try a caster? A warforged one would have access to self heal via repair spells, and once you get the hang of it, a good caster can solo fairly well. Plus, since there's only one REALLY important stat on a caster, you're not at any disadvantage at the end game really.

Same goes for a cleric really. With a caster and Cleric types, as long as your main stat's maxd, it's more about personal skill. With a melee, you're a LOT more dependent on gear and stats and build.

tihocan
10-05-2009, 08:16 AM
A barbarian (Str + Con) and a purely casting caster (Int or Cha + Con) are two kinds of builds that really don't suffer much from only 28 pts.

ErgonomicCat
10-05-2009, 09:15 PM
I would point out that I currently have 14 character slots and one drow. Who would be a 32 point dwarf, if I could get it. I also have one elf ftr/thief that would do well to be drow, but he's the toon that got me the unlocks, and is currently my highest level.

Drow seem awesome on paper, but I've found that 99% of the time, the bonuses aren't where I need them to be, the enhancements don't do what I need, or there's just something better on another race. The devs have done a good job making the different races all viable, even at 28 points. There are a couple builds I'd love to try, but they're 32 points with 6 tomes, 3 +2 and 3 +1, which is way out of my league. And all of them say things like "This build really won't work at 28." It's rare that you can't do *most* of what you want with 28 points. +1 DC, +1 AC, etc, won't make or break a build.

Junts
10-05-2009, 09:18 PM

the longest lasting 28 pointers are clerics, bards and sorcs, wf has big advantages with cahracters built to take advantage, but its not necessarily better

jmonty
10-05-2009, 09:23 PM
if you want to play a monk a wf str/con monk might be interesting for a 28 point build. you might want to search for a thread because i'm not sure what warforged feats are conducive to the monk class but the enhancements to power attack might give good dps.

and the best way to learn a class is reading up on it some then actually playing it.

bobbryan2
10-05-2009, 09:27 PM
A barbarian (Str + Con) and a purely casting caster (Int or Cha + Con) are two kinds of builds that really don't suffer much from only 28 pts.

This.

You can make a killer Warforged Wizard that will be very useful at end game with a minimum of stat points. 18 INT, 18 CON

ClubII
10-06-2009, 10:31 AM
Race: Human 14/6 Bard/Ranger
**28 point FTP version**
Allign: N <-MUST! Litany FTW.
Goals: Warchanting Bard sacrificing offensive casting for raw DPS output.
UMD for items and heal scrolls
No Armor Class, but skill points in Diplo for aggro managment

Stats: base: 16 14 15 8 8 10
STR 40--16-Base + 5-Levels + 4-Tome + 1 Litany + 1 Human + 6-Item +2-RamsMight +2-Rage +3 exceptional.
DEX 18--14 Base + 3 tome + 1 Litany ---18.
CON 30-15Base + 4 tome + 6 stat + 3 exceptional + 1 litany + 1 human
INT = 8
WIS = 11 -- 8 base + 3 item = enough
CHA = 16 -- 10base+6 item

Feats, Free
TWF (Ranger 2)
ITWF (Ranger 6)

Feats, Purchased.
1---Toughness
1---Focus Slash
3---Extend
6---Power Attack
9---Dodge
12--Mobility
15--Spring Attack
18--GTWF<-----------------------------------------Why you need to be Human.

Attribute points:
Level 4: Strength
Level 8: Strength
Level 12:Strength
Level 16: Strength
Level 20: Strength

Skill Points:
Balance
Diplomacy
Jump (1/2 skill points will do)
Perform (MUST)
Use Magic Device (MUST)

Notes on Level Progression:
1---Bard 1: Access to 1st level bard spells. Songs
2---Ranger 1: Favored Enemy
3---Ranger 2: TWF feat for free
4---Bard 2: -
5---Bard 3: New Song, Inspire Competence
6---Bard 4: Access to second level bard spells. Songs +1+1
7---Bard 5: -
8---Bard 6: Access to Warchanter
9---Bard 7: Third level bard spells
10--Bard 8: Songs +1+1
11--Ranger 3: -
12--Ranger 4: Access to first level ranger spells
13--Bard 9: New Song, Inspire greatness
14--Ranger 5: Favored Enemy II
15--Ranger 6: Access to Tempest
16--Bard 10: Fourth level spells
17--Bard 11: -
18--Bard 12: Song, Song of Freedom
19--Bard 13: Fifth Level spells
20--Bard 14: Songs +1+1

Notes

There is a +3 tome required in the build, but it is as the prerequisite to your level 18 feat (GTWF). If you like the game enough to get this character to level 18 than running a few raids and waiting for that tome should not be a problem. Remember you can always take a placeholder feat, like empower healing or another toughness untill you pull it and than go pay a visit to Fred.
This build is your party's Bard. Do not skip out on your bard enhancements!!!!

** you must take ranger 6 before level 18, otherwise GTWF will not fit **

Enjoy!

I will let you figure out how to play this guy. It is a fun build (I have the 32 pt version @18 ATM with most of the goodies), but here is a tip.

Party aggros mob
Mob rushes the tank
Crazy bard comes dashing out from behind the group
Jump over the mobs
mid-air diplomacy
work backwards, TWFing through trash like butta (Thank you Rage and Rams Might)

Myriam
10-06-2009, 11:36 AM
I believe you're missing two points.

16-14-15-8-8-10 = 26 points

Edit: Plus bards cannot take Weapon Focus- Slash at first level.

ClubII
10-06-2009, 02:17 PM
My bad there did some last minuite revisions.

1-Extend
3-WF Slash

and the 2 extra points, there yours to play with

zavozod
10-06-2009, 02:27 PM
It is a worthy build, but to be one lvl away from +4 to ac.... Game breaking? no. But end game +4 to AC is a wonderfull thing.

tihocan
10-06-2009, 02:50 PM
It is a worthy build, but to be one lvl away from +4 to ac.... Game breaking? no. But end game +4 to AC is a wonderfull thing.
Yes, I have a similar build and the loss of the AC song hurts. Although it's still a very fun build and I don't regret it... But for instance in Tower of Despair, if there's an AC tank in the party, people will want a L15+ bard.

onethreeone
10-06-2009, 04:02 PM
I'm having great fun with this Dragonmarked Halfling 12F/6R/2M: http://housetharashk.net/htforum/showthread.php?t=2101

It is extremely soloable, and should have strong dps to add to parties. It also has great saves, which makes up for any missing rogue trap skills.