PDA

View Full Version : Metamagic and Turning

KillEveryone
10-04-2009, 03:22 PM
1. Maximize, empower spell, empower healing. I checked out all the descriptions in the Compendium but am looking for some input from expierenced use. The maximize, empower spell both state that it is damage but does it work with healing. I saw in a FvS forum that is was wasted feat taking empower healing and empower spell but how about with maximize. I am planning on taking extend and figure on taking the empower or maximize or both?

2. I also saw in another thread in this forum, I think, someone stated that turning undead just isn't useful after lower levels. I'm not really into turning undead, so far they crunch nicely, but I do plan on taking the Cleric divine vitality to boost up someone else's sp if they get low and we are in a pinch. It uses a turn undead turn and the only way I see so far to get more of those turns is to take extra turning in the enhancements. My cha is 8. I don't really plan on going past 10 if I do add some to it, maybe a tome to add if I get one, but I don't plan on adding any to it. There isn't much that I feel I need to use the cha for so far, but I could be wrong about that. Thought about it for skills but I still want to add to wis/con with a decent str also. Any thoughts on this.

I'm still not premium(payment issue) yet so I can't post in cleric forums.

Visty
10-04-2009, 03:25 PM
1. healing is damage too so everything affecting damage affects healing too

2. yes, turning is kinda useless. just dont worry about it and youll be fine

Nyvn
10-04-2009, 03:26 PM
The metamagics increase all damage, healing is positive damage. In fact it hurts undead.

KillEveryone
10-04-2009, 05:28 PM
Is it redundant to have both maximize and empower spell?
Do the effects stack?
Maximize does double damage and empower makes them 50% more effective. If a spell can utilize both, will it just be a drain on SP or will there be a benifit to having them both on?

Nyvn
10-04-2009, 05:32 PM
They stack but you have to be aware of overhealing and wasting sp.

Brennie
10-04-2009, 05:36 PM
Empower, Maximize, and Empower healing all affect healing. Empower healing is the cheapest, though, and Clerics have an enhancement line to make it even cheaper.

Turning Undead becomes rapidly useless. From level 1, I think DVs are more useful (As a few spellpoints into your wizard casting burning hands is probably better than a minimal chance to "fear" a skeleton or zombie or two). At higher levels, that fear won't ever land, and you have many more fun options to use your Turn attempts on (Though DV is one of the best)

Talon_Moonshadow
10-05-2009, 02:32 PM
Uhm....turning works btw.

But to get results it takes a significant investment of feats/enhancements/Cha/items.

And even then the best you can hope for is to make things run away in fear.
Which makes party members angry that they have to chase something.
Or worse, they run until thet leash back....unturned.
Or run through a wall and you have to wait till they come back for a gate to open.
Etc. Etc.
Then there is the fact that they take several seconds to rmember that they are afraid of you.....during which they continue to attack you.
(I just love watching undead run from my freshly dead corpse)

But don't let people tell you it doesn't work.
It's just broke. And dungeons are poorly designed to make it useful.

asphodeli
10-05-2009, 08:36 PM
The metamagics increase all damage, healing is positive damage. In fact it hurts undead.

I think it stacks with Potency/Devotion as well (Though I'm not sure if Potency stacks with Devotion). However, the Potency/Devotion effect doesn't seem to affect undead, as I can heal an average of 20+ HP with Greater Potency + Clr Empower Healing + Clr Life Magic on a non-WF party member but deal 10+ damage to an undead...not sure if this is a bug or not.

Visty
10-05-2009, 09:15 PM
I think it stacks with Potency/Devotion as well (Though I'm not sure if Potency stacks with Devotion). However, the Potency/Devotion effect doesn't seem to affect undead, as I can heal an average of 20+ HP with Greater Potency + Clr Empower Healing + Clr Life Magic on a non-WF party member but deal 10+ damage to an undead...not sure if this is a bug or not.

10+ is the half of 20+

undeads get a willsave against the dmg to half it

they prolly just saved